Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i took gascoine down in 2, but it was a really tense fight. i sort of lucked out by stumbling into a back alley in the graveyard while he was in beastmode, which reduced his mobility and let me toss two finishing molotvs at him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

i think the "roll" is throwing me off. my last souls experience was fast rolling in DS1, so i'm used being able to use that to easily outmaneuver everything, but the guy in Bloodborne isn't able to creates gaps quite as fast

keep in mind that roll acts differently when youre locked on vs not

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol, i was going into inventory to check some new armor, and a hand picked me up and dropped me to my death

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
also the main complaint about lamps is seeming weird to me so far. with how far into i am, they actually seem about as common as DS1's bonfires

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

sector_corrector posted:

lol, i was going into inventory to check some new armor, and a hand picked me up and dropped me to my death

That part was epic

Dec 26, 2012

do people bitch that lamps are too spread out or something because tehyre really not unless you miss opening up a shortcut

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

sector_corrector posted:

also the main complaint about lamps is seeming weird to me so far. with how far into i am, they actually seem about as common as DS1's bonfires

what's the complaint about lamps? Not enough?

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
also how did you one shot cleric beast or did that just mean you beat him in one try

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
the smaller number of checkpoints is one of my favorite things about BB. In DS2 there were so many bonfires in each area, some of them were ridiculously close. BB has just one, maybe 2 per area and tons of shortcuts back to them which means the levels loop back on themselves and so there's overall better world design.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

there is that one spot (those who have finished the game know what I'm talking about) that has insanely weird lantern placement and I'm still not sure why they did that

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

NickRoweFillea posted:

also how did you one shot cleric beast or did that just mean you beat him in one try

yeah, he probably means one try. for whatever reason that's the phrase a lot of people in the games thread use because they have brain damage or something.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

apropos to nothing posted:

the smaller number of checkpoints is one of my favorite things about BB. In DS2 there were so many bonfires in each area, some of them were ridiculously close. BB has just one, maybe 2 per area and tons of shortcuts back to them which means the levels loop back on themselves and so there's overall better world design.

Finding a shortcut is so much more fun than finding a new bonfire/lantern and has about the same effect so this is way better, yep

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

there is that one spot (those who have finished the game know what I'm talking about) that has insanely weird lantern placement and I'm still not sure why they did that

Probably because they had this "every time you kill a boss a lantern shows up" rule because they're Archstones and that's how Archstones worked

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Harrow posted:

Finding a shortcut is so much more fun than finding a new bonfire/lantern and has about the same effect so this is way better, yep

Probably because they had this "every time you kill a boss a lantern shows up" rule because they're Archstones and that's how Archstones worked

Idk if we are talking about the same lantern. I mean the two in mensis that are about 10 seconds apart with no shortcut between them and like one enemy.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i meant that i beat it in a single try. i apologize about my brain damage.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
I forgive you.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
It's ok.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
Bloodborne is so good that the only criticism you can level at it is whiny poo poo like we're doing complaining about 2 checkpoints being too close. There's a few other things just as whiny as that but basically BB is great and its got me pumped about the next dark souls or whatever from puts out. Its just such a good game, controversial opinion I know but someone has to say it.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i love it so far, despite being thrown by the changes at first. i'm at the dude with the machinegun in the tower, and it's really fun making my way up there. i tried the other route and almost beat the dickwraith hunter, but he managed to combo me with a sliver of his health left.

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

Let me take you for a ride.
I cheesed that guy by opening up the shortcut and just going for the ladder, he fell down right after me and died.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

i cannot wait for the dlc to continue the time honored souls tradition of the DLC being the best part of an already good to great game

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i accidentally shot the tower dude off with a repeating pistol trying to stun him so i could close distance. the dude at the bottom was a bit harder, but i managed to bait him over to the ramp that leads into his area, and kirk hammered his brains in.

blood starved beast seems like a really fun fight. i got him down to 2/3rds and he changed patterns, which makes it seem like the fight is going to be harder than i anticipated at first.

i like the fact i can go back to the opening areas to try out new weapons, and it seems like the quadroped beasts in front of BSB always drop the first upgrade materials, so i guess i could even grind up all of the lower level weapons if i really wanted to put in the time

Dec 26, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

i accidentally shot the tower dude off with a repeating pistol trying to stun him so i could close distance. the dude at the bottom was a bit harder, but i managed to bait him over to the ramp that leads into his area, and kirk hammered his brains in.

blood starved beast seems like a really fun fight. i got him down to 2/3rds and he changed patterns, which makes it seem like the fight is going to be harder than i anticipated at first.

i like the fact i can go back to the opening areas to try out new weapons, and it seems like the quadroped beasts in front of BSB always drop the first upgrade materials, so i guess i could even grind up all of the lower level weapons if i really wanted to put in the time

remember to go back to the tower you shot the guy off of and pick up his stuff

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

01011001 posted:

remember to go back to the tower you shot the guy off of and pick up his stuff

yeah, i got the badge or whatever off his corpse. i don't think i picked up anything else.

Dec 26, 2012

yeah thats what i meant

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Alternatively, wait till after Rom and come back to befriend the gunner guy. Then you can be best bros.

Dec 26, 2012

you dont have to wait that long, you can do it as soon as youve fought paarl once

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

sector_corrector posted:

Erm yeah, I also "accidentally" shot that guy off the tower the three times I've fought him

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
36 hours to finish the game.

highlights were killing that creepy guy who wanted to help people in the tomb of oeden cathedral and accidentally killing arianna when i was killing her mutant baby

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Neurosis posted:

highlights were killing that creepy guy who wanted to help people in the tomb of oeden cathedral and accidentally killing arianna when i was killing her mutant baby

if you kill the baby she dies as well no matter what.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Neurosis posted:

Poor Oedon Chapel guy :smith: He only wanted to have friends

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I think the cleric beast might be the worst designed boss fight in the game excluding chalice bosses which I haven't done all of yet. I haven't ever died to it but I think people picking up the game for the first time, especially if theyre new to souls games would struggle. It's got a poo poo camera that makes locking on frustrating, it's a relatively narrow arena which makes it hard to dodge, the attacks track more than you would expect, and it has a lot of HP; all this and most people will prolly first run into it before they even level up.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think the worst designed boss fight is amygdala, because it's so easy, nothing really interesting happens and there's a cooler version of a nearly identical nature later in the game.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

I think the worst designed boss fight is amygdala, because it's so easy, nothing really interesting happens and there's a cooler version of a nearly identical nature later in the game.

i'd second this, and add that it also has some dumb camera issues when it leaps. i'm not sure if its working as intended or not, but you can go ahead and stay locked on when something jumps behind me, from software, i won't complain about that. this is a super minor annoyance, though.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Im getting this tomorrow :-)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

Im getting this tomorrow :-)

:cheers:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Waiting for 1.03......

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
yeah amygdala is easier than it should be, especially considering how intimidating it looks. Making the arms the weak point was a cool twist on an old classic but theyre just too easy to hit, maybe if it didnt slam the arms down as much or maybe if the head was really tough like the legs so you couldnt just shoot it to death. I dunno

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

yeah amygdala is easier than it should be, especially considering how intimidating it looks. Making the arms the weak point was a cool twist on an old classic but theyre just too easy to hit, maybe if it didnt slam the arms down as much or maybe if the head was really tough like the legs so you couldnt just shoot it to death. I dunno

amygdala doesn't need poo poo that's harder to hit, that's already her entire gimmick. she really just needs some better attacks I think.

AHungryRobot fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 22, 2015

Dec 26, 2012

I think the cleric beast might be the worst designed boss fight in the game excluding chalice bosses which I haven't done all of yet. I haven't ever died to it but I think people picking up the game for the first time, especially if theyre new to souls games would struggle. It's got a poo poo camera that makes locking on frustrating, it's a relatively narrow arena which makes it hard to dodge, the attacks track more than you would expect, and it has a lot of HP; all this and most people will prolly first run into it before they even level up.

they should just lower the stupid fence around the bridge that fucks up the camera and it would be worlds better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i tried blood starved beast about 5 times today before i had to stop playing and let my roomie use the tv. my best attempt involved not locking on and baiting it into swipes that i rolled through, and then punished it with a strong attack. that worked out pretty well, but getting caught once in its freak-out attack is an instant kill for me at my level. i'll have to keep at it tomorrow. can you parry this thing, out of curiosity?