Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Is there any way to disinherit my youngest son? He's born in the purple and therefore my heir but I'd much rather my eldest son, a genius and brilliant strategist, become Basileus.

- make him Court Chaplain and send him to convert pagans, preferably Norsemen, preferably one that's zealous and cruel and hasn't had a blot in a while
- put him at the head of a small army going against a much bigger one
- give the Despot title to your eldest which should make him the primary heir

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Sweet thanks. Had no idea I could do that.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I love that the first two suggestions are "get your kid killed" "get your kid killed" and then finally "legally make him the heir".

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone have any ideas for keeping the Pope from building lovely temples in Rome until I'm strong enough to conquer it and hold off Lombardy from holy warring me? Gameplanning for a Viking game where I eventually make Rome my capital, but I want it to have 5 baronies. It starts off with 2 baronies, a city, and a temple, so there's 3 empty holding slots, which the Pope will fill up with 2 temples and a city or 3 temples or something stupid and useless like that. So far, I'm thinking I can raid it nonstop so that any temples the pope tries to build will be instantly destroyed, and I can save up however many ducats, county conquest Rome, immediately build a barony, and then surrender in the following holy war so that the barony doesn't get sieged. Mostly concerned with the period until the Viking Age starts. Pretty sure the Pope could fill up two of those empty holding slot with temples by the time I get boats. Any way I can keep him from getting Pope monies, or make sure he doesn't build dumb poo poo I don't want? I don't care if it doesn't end in Rome in my possession right away, so long as all 3 empty holding slots become baronies. At least 2 and a city.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 22, 2015

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

I love that the first two suggestions are "get your kid killed" "get your kid killed" and then finally "legally make him the heir".

crusaderkings2.txt

Always Be Stabbing (ABS)

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
The pope gets megabux so quickly that no, I don't see how it's possible to do it before he starts building a single one. Maybe if he builds one you could save scum until you burn it down raiding? Or poo poo, just edit the save worst comes to worst.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Can you still make anyone your court chaplain? Whenever I try to pick mine, I'm only given a very short list of people to choose from and they're all either bishops or patriarchs. This has been the case for Catholics (Ireland) and Orthodox (Byzantium).

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Baron Porkface posted:

Does Sunset invasion work if you turn it on in the middle of a save?

Yes, but I think you have to do it by 1350 or so. Afterwards, it either doesn't work at all or it fires literally the second you unpause, I'm not sure which.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Volkerball posted:

Anyone have any ideas for keeping the Pope from building lovely temples in Rome until I'm strong enough to conquer it and hold off Lombardy from holy warring me? Gameplanning for a Viking game where I eventually make Rome my capital, but I want it to have 5 baronies. It starts off with 2 baronies, a city, and a temple, so there's 3 empty holding slots, which the Pope will fill up with 2 temples and a city or 3 temples or something stupid and useless like that. So far, I'm thinking I can raid it nonstop so that any temples the pope tries to build will be instantly destroyed, and I can save up however many ducats, county conquest Rome, immediately build a barony, and then surrender in the following holy war so that the barony doesn't get sieged. Mostly concerned with the period until the Viking Age starts. Pretty sure the Pope could fill up two of those empty holding slot with temples by the time I get boats. Any way I can keep him from getting Pope monies, or make sure he doesn't build dumb poo poo I don't want? I don't care if it doesn't end in Rome in my possession right away, so long as all 3 empty holding slots become baronies. At least 2 and a city.

Start in 867 as either Haesteinn or Dyre (or maybe even Rurik) and immediately jump on your ships along with some mercs, go take down Rome and then most of Sicily.

T___A
Jan 18, 2014

Nothing would go right until we had a dictator, and the sooner the better.
Sometimes Crusades can end ridiculously:

Passenger Of Shit
Apr 21, 2015
What is the easiest way to convert provinces? I'm Jewish Axum from the 1066 start and its 1088 and I'm really worried about these frequent religious uprisings.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

:stare:

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Passenger Of poo poo posted:

What is the easiest way to convert provinces? I'm Jewish Axum from the 1066 start and its 1088 and I'm really worried about these frequent religious uprisings.
Raise Moral Authority, and make sure your vassals are Zealous, Jewish AI characters won't convert provinces if they aren't. It's weird, but true.
I think "the Lecher" is actually an understatement.

Passenger Of Shit
Apr 21, 2015

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

Raise Moral Authority, and make sure your vassals are Zealous, Jewish AI characters won't convert provinces if they aren't. It's weird, but true.

I think "the Lecher" is actually an understatement.

So I guess bite the bullet and work towards holy sites.

Anyone know offhand the console command to change your title law to Muslim Most Power Son one?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Volkerball posted:

What the gently caress happened to your av, goddamn. If you raid the Poop as often as you can (as soon as the holdings stop having the "recently raided" modifier) you can pretty easily burn down recently built holdings - unless things have changed, every time you siege a holding down when raiding, it destroys a building there...if there are no buildings to destroy, the holding explodes.

edit: and like TheBlackRoija said, start in 867 s Haesteinn and take Sardinia right off the bat then sit there raiding Rome every opportunity you get.

Passenger Of Shit
Apr 21, 2015
rip piss face

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Bort Bortles posted:

edit: and like TheBlackRoija said, start in 867 s Haesteinn and take Sardinia right off the bat then sit there raiding Rome every opportunity you get.

gently caress that just take Rome straight up. Maybe Sardinia as a fall back. In my experience Italy and the Byzantines will be too busy for awhile and let you build up a decent power base. PI the Umayyads and take as much as you can. You just have to be real careful declaring war on Christians after the holy orders come into existence.

Disclaimer:I haven't tried this since CM, but the start should be the same as Haesteinn at least, not sure how Dyre being tribal would effect it.

TheBlackRoija fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 22, 2015

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

He's not a true lecher unless the portraits of his kids literally look like a black oval.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

TheBlackRoija posted:

gently caress that just take Rome straight up. Maybe Sardinia as a fall back. In my experience Italy and the Byzantines will be too busy for awhile and let you build up a decent power base. PI the Umayyads and take as much as you can. You just have to be real careful declaring war on Christians after the holy orders come into existence.

Disclaimer:I haven't tried this since CM, but the start should be the same as Haesteinn at least, not sure how Dyre being tribal would effect it.

I think taking Rome will effectively unlock Crusades (wiki says MTTH is 3 mos after 900 but not sure if that's been updated for CM.) Once that happens then all your Christian enemies will have holy orders at their disposal whenever.

If you want that juicy seven holding province with easy ocean access, Constantinople?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Passenger Of poo poo posted:

So I guess bite the bullet and work towards holy sites.

Anyone know offhand the console command to change your title law to Muslim Most Power Son one?

succ open, I think.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Is there any way to disinherit my youngest son? He's born in the purple and therefore my heir but I'd much rather my eldest son, a genius and brilliant strategist, become Basileus.

Excommunicate, imprison and force him to take the vows.

monster on a stick posted:

I think taking Rome will effectively unlock Crusades (wiki says MTTH is 3 mos after 900 but not sure if that's been updated for CM.) Once that happens then all your Christian enemies will have holy orders at their disposal whenever.

I think there's also something in there about the Pope needing to be landed to call crusades though.

Also, some CBs, like Tribal Invasion will destroy the Papacy. If you can use that one, you can take Rome and not have to worry about Crusades, ever. Also, no Mongol hordes.

If you want that juicy seven holding province with easy ocean access, Constantinople?
[/quote]

Good luck taking it from the Byzantines and keeping it!

Edison was a dick fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Apr 22, 2015

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

This is why I'm hesitant to try it at the 867 start instead of 769, though I suppose it doesn't matter if I can't hold Rome in the early going, so long as I can take it and fill it up with baronies.

Constantinople has a bunch of cities built already, as does Venice. Brugge is a solid option, but my goal here is to start a republic, build all my trade posts around my future capital (Rome) while all my patrician vassals are building around Uppland. Then once I've created the empire of Italia, I'll be able to move my capital to Rome since it'll be my de jure capital, and then I've got a massive trade zone with a connected to capital bonus and I'll be making stupid money. Brugge isn't the de jure capital of anything, so I can't move my capital there as a republic.

Edison was a dick posted:

Also, some CBs, like Tribal Invasion will destroy the Papacy. If you can use that one, you can take Rome and not have to worry about Crusades, ever. Also, no Mongol hordes.

:raise: I was considering a culture swap to Avar or Khazar or something to give myself the invasion CB anyways. Maybe instead of starting in Scandinavia, I can start in tribal Altaic lands and invade the Pope as soon as I hit 500 prestige? If the Pope doesn't own Rome, the feudal ruler who takes it over from me would do a better job building good holdings than the Pope would.

Bort Bortles posted:

What the gently caress happened to your av, goddamn.

Things get serious in Coupons and Deals.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

I think there's also something in there about the Pope needing to be landed to call crusades though.

No, that doesn't work. I tried a tribal invasion as a Mongol to invade the papacy, won, Pope ended up with a bishopric in another Catholic realm (the HRE so guess who would be pressing his claim.) I think the only time I've seen the Pope actually landless was when I did a map painting exercise and conquered everything Catholic.

quote:

Constantinople has a bunch of cities built already, as does Venice. Brugge is a solid option, but my goal here is to start a republic, build all my trade posts around my future capital (Rome) while all my patrician vassals are building around Uppland. Then once I've created the empire of Italia, I'll be able to move my capital to Rome since it'll be my de jure capital, and then I've got a massive trade zone with a connected to capital bonus and I'll be making stupid money. Brugge isn't the de jure capital of anything, so I can't move my capital there as a republic.

There's also Marrakech. Seven holding slots, apparently only two have been built up with the CM start date so you can fill it up with whatever you want. It shouldn't unlock Jihad until 1000. I believe it is de jure capital of Mauretania since it has the most holding slots.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 22, 2015

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Volkerball posted:

Things get serious in Coupons and Deals.
:magical: I guess I wont venture there, then.

Your merchant republic ambitions are lofty.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Quite a few events require the Papacy to exist, since the game expects him to be always around. So I would recommend not using that.

i.e.

quote:

trigger = {
year = 1215

religion = catholic
controls_religion = yes # Let it happen for the Pope - he's always around

NOT = { has_global_flag = mongol_horde_rumors }
NOT = { has_global_flag = il_khanate_arrival }
NOT = { has_global_flag = golden_horde_arrival }
}

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Dareon posted:

succ open, I think.

It's "succ turkish_succession"

If you do change your succession laws to something that you don't match the potential {} clause for, it'll automatically change back to the default (gavelkind usually) as soon as it gets recalculated. Which means at a minimum, ruler death, title creation, title usurpation, and primary title swaps.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

1279, the year that Ivaljo the Cabbage ruled. Ivaljo was the leader of Europe's only successful overthrow of a monarch by peasants.

http://badassoftheweek.com/index.cgi?id=84324331289

:stare:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

SeaTard posted:

It's "succ turkish_succession"

If you do change your succession laws to something that you don't match the potential {} clause for, it'll automatically change back to the default (gavelkind usually) as soon as it gets recalculated. Which means at a minimum, ruler death, title creation, title usurpation, and primary title swaps.

Yeah, I tried being Tanist Svithjod and, while my son remained the Tanist (Or at least retained the designation) until he took office, once I formed the Kingdom it went back to Gavelkind.

T___A
Jan 18, 2014

Nothing would go right until we had a dictator, and the sooner the better.
What are some tips for holding off the mongols?

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

T___A posted:

What are some tips for holding off the mongols?

Apparently, being Ivaljo the Cabbage :stare:

Passenger Of Shit
Apr 21, 2015

Good read

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

That's actually where I learned about him. I looked him up in CK2's history files and bam! There he was.

Also, when the Slavic religion is reformed, where does the head of the Reformed religion usually hang out?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

Also, when the Slavic religion is reformed, where does the head of the Reformed religion usually hang out?
Unless it has changed recently, it will be a random temple holder somewhere in your realm. I think if you have a duchy held by a priest they get it but I'm not sure because it has been a while.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I hadn't played the Byzantines in awhile and started up a new game only to realize about 40 years in that I could only revoke duchy-level viceroyalties without penalty rather than being able to revoke any duchy. Having never messed around with viceroys before, is there any reason I wouldn't want all of my duchies and kingdoms to be viceroys? I noticed the amount of viceroys I've given out carries an opinion penalty with my feudal vassals, but other than that is there a downside?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Bort Bortles posted:

Unless it has changed recently, it will be a random temple holder somewhere in your realm. I think if you have a duchy held by a priest they get it but I'm not sure because it has been a while.

If you don't have any available holdings you become the head of the religion and therefore lose the game. So be careful when reforming pagan religions that aren't Germanic.

vuohi
Nov 22, 2004

Spakstik posted:

Having never messed around with viceroys before, is there any reason I wouldn't want all of my duchies and kingdoms to be viceroys? I noticed the amount of viceroys I've given out carries an opinion penalty with my feudal vassals, but other than that is there a downside?

The answers: No, no.

I consider the viceroys to be an usability improvement. You don't have to keep an eye out and weed the duchies by hand anymore, it happens automatically when the motherfuckers die.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tesla was right posted:

Apparently, being Ivaljo the Cabbage :stare:

I started off being sad that Ivaljo in CK2 didn't have that nickname.

And then I looked at his dynasty. "Bardokva"

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Spakstik posted:

I hadn't played the Byzantines in awhile and started up a new game only to realize about 40 years in that I could only revoke duchy-level viceroyalties without penalty rather than being able to revoke any duchy. Having never messed around with viceroys before, is there any reason I wouldn't want all of my duchies and kingdoms to be viceroys? I noticed the amount of viceroys I've given out carries an opinion penalty with my feudal vassals, but other than that is there a downside?

Basically all your vassal dukes and kings should be either viceroys or patricians. Since neither of them are feudal, you won't get an opinion penalty with any of your vassals for handing out viceroyalties.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Spakstik posted:

I hadn't played the Byzantines in awhile and started up a new game only to realize about 40 years in that I could only revoke duchy-level viceroyalties without penalty rather than being able to revoke any duchy.

Yea I noticed this too when I played as Byzantium. Not sure if its a bug, since Imperial Administration means you're supposed to be able to freely revoke any duchy-rank title but :shrug:

Spakstik posted:

Having never messed around with viceroys before, is there any reason I wouldn't want all of my duchies and kingdoms to be viceroys? I noticed the amount of viceroys I've given out carries an opinion penalty with my feudal vassals, but other than that is there a downside?

Never have vassal kingdoms, like, ever. The main strength of the Themes of Byzantium (i.e. your free Viceroyal Duchies/Imperial Administration laws in 769) is that your vassals are kept small and weak, and have a hard time factionalizing since you control who gets to be a Strategos (usually contented or otherwise harmless characters). You can also reshuffle the territory of a Theme before handing it back out--especially useful if it grew more powerful during the governorship of a particular Strategos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Wow gently caress elective gavelkind.

Guess never ever ever give any sons land that aren't your heirs because all the lords will decide they'd rather vote for the 3rd in line instead and the inheritance gets all kinds of wonky.

There's been a lot of brother killing. I don't know what else is to be expected when the older son gets every single title except for the primary though. It'll also create possible kingdoms automatically and give them to junior sons who can then be independent for free so now I have to kill my younger brother who became king of Scotland.

I get nerfing the pagans but drat that change where the vassal lords vote for whoever they like as long as they are in your dynasty kind of makes it really hard. In the last 4 successions only 1 time have I managed to get the primary title to the right heir because the vassals all switch up their votes right before my current character dies.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 22, 2015

• Locked thread