Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Jesus Christ there's a mission where you torture a man in GTA5 and I had to put the game down. I didn't expect video game violence to actually bother me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitpinecone
Sep 10, 2010

psychosis cat
Sarif is all like "here's a basic revolver and 7 bullets, you can probably find more in a garbage can or something"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

Jesus Christ there's a mission where you torture a man in GTA5 and I had to put the game down. I didn't expect video game violence to actually bother me.
I still think that would have been a lot more effective if they hadn't had Trevor's speech afterwards. It's like they didn't trust their audience to get the point, which all things considered is probably right on the mark and the thing dragging all games down.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

You know it's pretty easy to just beat the dude with a wrench a couple times, it's entirely up to you to waterboard him or electrocute him or pull out his teeth with pliers.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
Two Worlds II:
So the beginning of the game seems to make a point of "Orcs are not just one-sided bad guys and are actually pretty cool". That's nice! I'm getting tired of all these evil mook races in fantasy games.
Okay, so what's the first thing I have to do after being busted out of prison by these orcs? Killing a whole bunch of "Groms" which are totally evil and savage and okay to kill and definitely not orcs, okay?

I'm getting some really mixed messages here, game. It doesn't help that it also kinda plays like poo poo.

Suleman has a new favorite as of 22:44 on Apr 21, 2015

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I still think that would have been a lot more effective if they hadn't had Trevor's speech afterwards. It's like they didn't trust their audience to get the point, which all things considered is probably right on the mark and the thing dragging all games down.

Oh man, and then in Hotline Miami when the rooster asked me if I liked hurting other people??? Really makes you think.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RyokoTK posted:

Have you played Heavy Rain? In that game you have to torture yourself. Now that's some poo poo.

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014
The thing dragging Dragon Age Inquisition for me is that I'm a total scrub that started the quest where you get trapped in the fade and have to fight the Aspect to leave at level 11 and I can't seem to win even after bumping the difficulty all the way down :negative:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Gibbed released a mod to unlock the developer console in DX:HR and even wrapped it up nicely in its own menu on the pause screen, once you've had your fill of regular gameplay spawing the rad late-game laser/plasma weapons and running around with infinite everything and no fucks to give is super cathartic :getin:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Have you played Heavy Rain? In that game you have to torture yourself. Now that's some poo poo.

Yes, that is how I'd describe playing Heavy Rain.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Mokinokaro posted:

The bard can at least sing and has a few decent tunes.

Yeah I actually think the singing and stuff is done pretty well in the rest of the game (so far, I haven't finished) but that scene is just awful.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

It's this scene if anyone is wondering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-L-G1q_0L8

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

oh my god im tearing up

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The "here's a time limit, find the least bad way to cut off a finger" is probably the best done part of Heavy Rain. Much like all of David Cage's games it's got some neat ideas wrapped up in all kinds of bullshit.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Paper Diamonds posted:

Yes, also the singing sucks. Also its a musical number directly after a very dramatic event. Also I dont think there is any other singing in the game other than the dumb tavern bard.

It starts with one person singing and then some other terrible voice actors who have never met each other start singing from their sound isolation booths. And once all 8 of them start up, boy does it really hit me right in the ol' feels.

Here, "enjoy":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgYxMVRtJr4

The musical bit in Dragon Age Origins was worse, but it was also hidden away in a entirely optional conversation with leliana.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Videogame musicals are almost always awful, even when they're trying to be funny like in Bard's Quest they still come across as cringeworthy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrEFWv8aSQ8

The exception seems to be credits songs because they're non-diagetic and exist to reward the player so they're a lot of fun, like the infamous Still Alive from Portal, God Hand's ending (which was explicitly an inspiration for the Portal ending song), or anything WayForward makes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFSen7DRQWU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhLi9QeXCqE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQAMHnmGZZ4

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Kentucky Route Zero has an amazing ingame musical number and its interactive.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Accordion Man posted:

Kentucky Route Zero has an amazing ingame musical number and its interactive.

I was a little dissapointed Act III didn't end with a bluegrass song, I really liked the ones they used at the end of I and II. The mid-act interactive one was awesome, though.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I'm playing Red Faction: Guerrilla for the first time. For the most part it's a super cool sandbox but what's really dragging it down for me is how bland Mars is. Lots and lots of brown, some rocks, and occasionally a few buildings to drive through.

There's a lot of neat things going on in this game, I just need a more vibrant world.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

DrBouvenstein posted:

I feel like there's far more enemies in Bloodborne that are able to completely stun-lock you and kill you in what is essentially "one" hit.

Oh sure, it might actually be five or six hits, but seeing as I am completely helpless after the first one, you might as well just have them do one mega attack and one-shot me, because all you're doing with these small damage/high poise (though there is no more poise, so I'm not sure what stat is getting used) attacks is pissing me off more as I helplessly fumble to roll or move out of the way.

Just in case you're reading and want help, raise your vitality. Run for 30 as quickly as possible, then slowly bump it up to 50. Also, sometimes you can parry with a blunderbuss. I find it more forgiving, even though I'm in love with the pistol, when I'm not using something twohanded. Once I hit 1000 hp, pretty much nothing can one-shot me.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I haven't played Gat Out of Hell but one of the trailers was done entirely in song and it was amazing.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm amazed Rockstar had the self restraint to not have Trevor instead say "YEAH ITS hosed UP HOW OUR GOVERNMENT DOES THESE THINGS, RIGHT PLAYER?! DID YOU KNOW THAT OUR GOVERNMENT TORTURES PEOPLE AND THINK ITS OK? KINDA MAKES YOU THINK HUH?!" while looking directly at the camera, maybe even integrating webcam/kinect/whatever the gently caress the PS3/4 webcam thing is so it can locate the player and have Trevor point directly at them.

Yes Rockstar, you are the spear that thrusts first into the solid shield that is social politics to show us all the light of today's hosed up world.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Trevor is sort of, almost, an interesting character... if he were in GTA 3 or Vice City, where everyone is a ludicrous comic book character.

In GTA 5 he has to run parallel to Franklin and Michael, who are actually pretty grounded and realistic characters, and GTA 5 is more grounded and less over-the-top than earlier installments, and it's just really weird and dissonant.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

Trevor is sort of, almost, an interesting character... if he were in GTA 3 or Vice City, where everyone is a ludicrous comic book character.

In GTA 5 he has to run parallel to Franklin and Michael, who are actually pretty grounded and realistic characters, and GTA 5 is more grounded and less over-the-top than earlier installments, and it's just really weird and dissonant.

Not really? I'm about halfway through the plot and it feels way more over the top than GTAIV ever was. I never did finish the DLC though.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Trevor is great because we are playing GTA 5 somewhat conservatively and when Trevor is introduced, we are coming off a fun mission where we made a lot of money and things went right, and all of a sudden a switch in our heads flips and we can go nuts. It's what we're used to and it is a welcome change of pace. It's easier to change your entire play style because we recognize Trevor as crazy, we're able to role play and there are no hard feelings.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Also because of his focus power I feel like I can cut loose more with Trevor more than any other character.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the entire point of Trevor was so that players could go on their wanton murder sprees without it clashing with the characterization, like everyone complained about in gta iv

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

what characterization could a game with crazy greasy balding Gary Busey as a protagonist have that'd be worth preserving anyway

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Lord Lambeth posted:

I haven't played Gat Out of Hell but one of the trailers was done entirely in song and it was amazing.

That trailer is literally just a cutscene from the game, and it's great. Volition also seem to know not to overdo things like that; There's another cutscene later where Jezebel is about to start singing again and Gat just goes "We're not doing that again."

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
The sheer amount of stuff to do in Dragon Age: Inquistion was something I absolutely loved at first. I'm 30 hours into it and I've only just met Corpheyus and left Haven for Skyhold, then started the quest chain to find the Grey Wardens with Hawke. And Bioware did a great job of making all the "mundane" quests that are usually repetitive in most games more fun to do by giving them all a twist, or at least some fun dialogue. Which altogether really makes it feel like I'm getting my $60 worth.

However, I've now played long enough that I've decided I don't like the direction I took my character and on top of that I got bored with being a warrior class about 20 hours back. So now I'm faced with a choice: Start all over and lose 30 hours of progress or just own my choices and power through it.

It also seems that Bioware apparently had a memo during development that stated "Put as many quests as you can on top of a giant mountain with only one path that can be used to scale it so players spend as much time as possible circling around mountains looking for a place to climb. And make sure the player character can't walk up an incline greater than 45 degrees." I swear to god its like plains don't exist in Thedas. It's all mountains, all the time. And gently caress the Forbidden Oasis. That area is nothing but tiers upon tiers and good loving luck figuring out how to get anywhere. A quest object can be literally two feet away from you but require an hour of climbing, crossing bridges, and walking through mines to reach it.

The romance options kind of suck too. For a straight male you've got a choice between a bitchy zealot with the personality of sandpaper and a rich girl who spends more time worrying about how her wealthy family is going to survive some minor debt than she does about the end of the goddamn world.

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp
Lmao if you're not getting ploughed by the Iron Bull regardless of what Inquisitor you play.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I'm playing GTAV for the first time and while the replay feature is pretty boss and something I think all action games should have in one way or another, it's a real shame that I don't think there's a way to record your deaths and car/bike crash deaths are always spectacular. I catapulted Franklin halfway down the street before he smacked into a lamppost, killing him, I want to see it again.

Also, the online goes by XP over level/Elo/trueskill but I have that gripe with almost every online game since Halo 3. I want the numbers to mean how good I am, not how much I play, massive loss of tension.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Walton Simons posted:

I'm playing GTAV for the first time and while the replay feature is pretty boss and something I think all action games should have in one way or another, it's a real shame that I don't think there's a way to record your deaths and car/bike crash deaths are always spectacular. I catapulted Franklin halfway down the street before he smacked into a lamppost, killing him, I want to see it again.

Also, the online goes by XP over level/Elo/trueskill but I have that gripe with almost every online game since Halo 3. I want the numbers to mean how good I am, not how much I play, massive loss of tension.

That reminds me of a thing that drags a lot of games down. Most sandbox games with decent physics result in pretty hilarious deaths for the player more often than not. But most of those games give you a split second to laugh at the result and then force you to re-load the game. For exceptionally spectacular deaths your character may still be careening through the forests/streets/whatever for awhile but you can't see it because the load game dialogue has been forced open. It's not too much to ask to make it so the player has to press "X" to re-load and until they do so the scene continues to play out.

One of my favorite mods for Skyrim was one that extends the slow-mo death screen by a few minutes and it's made for some hilarious deaths. Such as that time I got an axe to the back of the head while climbing a mountain and had to watch as my character ragdolled down the mountainside like a grotesque game of plinko. Or one time when I was shot so full of arrows I died but as the slow-mo effect kicked in the bandits continued to fire arrows into my corpse for a full goddamn minute, because apprently when its the Dovahkiin you make certain he's fuckin' dead.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I was a little dissapointed Act III didn't end with a bluegrass song, I really liked the ones they used at the end of I and II. The mid-act interactive one was awesome, though.

They did, you might have just forgotten it.

As Conrad and co. are leaving the caverns for the final time, the bluegrass players' shadows loom over them and they start their third number, "What Would You Give."

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Yeah, GTAs 4 and 5 are pretty bad for not showing what happens for more than a second after you die, too, come to think of it. Even Just Cause 2 fades to red straightaway. You've created a wonderful playground but take away the one thing that'll amuse me when it all goes tits up. One thing I love about the GRiD/DiRT games is that I'm never too annoyed to wipe out since I'll be able to watch slow-motion replays of my car disintegrating from every angle. Even if you total your car so badly it's game over, it still invites you to watch the replay.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...

Walton Simons posted:

This is the only reason I have 40+ gigs of GTAV videos on my PS4. I thought recording gameplay was dumb as hell until this game. So worth it to save some of your best moments. Especially in Online.

Still haven't topped catapulting off a bike as Franklin, sliding on my rear end down a highway and slamming face first into a car's front tire. Said car RUNS my head over and takes off and all Franklin does is stand up and say "I ain't feelin' too good"

Close second was when I pissed off another driver as Trevor and then I brake checked the guy and both the driver and passenger windshield cannonballed into the back of my pickup bed.

Otherwise I turn off recording for every other game. Like I care about recording Borderlands.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Esroc posted:

That reminds me of a thing that drags a lot of games down. Most sandbox games with decent physics result in pretty hilarious deaths for the player more often than not. But most of those games give you a split second to laugh at the result and then force you to re-load the game. For exceptionally spectacular deaths your character may still be careening through the forests/streets/whatever for awhile but you can't see it because the load game dialogue has been forced open. It's not too much to ask to make it so the player has to press "X" to re-load and until they do so the scene continues to play out.

One of my favorite mods for Skyrim was one that extends the slow-mo death screen by a few minutes and it's made for some hilarious deaths. Such as that time I got an axe to the back of the head while climbing a mountain and had to watch as my character ragdolled down the mountainside like a grotesque game of plinko. Or one time when I was shot so full of arrows I died but as the slow-mo effect kicked in the bandits continued to fire arrows into my corpse for a full goddamn minute, because apprently when its the Dovahkiin you make certain he's fuckin' dead.

In GTA Online there was a daily mission to destroy 10 cars, and I kept stealing and piling up cars so that I could destroy like 5 of them with one grenade, only every time I did JUST as I was throwing the grenade a cop would happen to take me out, and then I'd barely even have time to see the explosion start before I respawned. And of course, I get no credit for the daily mission. :negative:

I agree with you completely, let my body ragdoll around for awhile, throw the game to 3rd person action cam or something. You can always have a "press A to respawn now" button if you think players are getting tired of it and want to hurry up. But for sandbox games you need to be able to witness the carnage at your end.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Zaphod42 posted:

In GTA Online there was a daily mission to destroy 10 cars, and I kept stealing and piling up cars so that I could destroy like 5 of them with one grenade, only every time I did JUST as I was throwing the grenade a cop would happen to take me out, and then I'd barely even have time to see the explosion start before I respawned. And of course, I get no credit for the daily mission. :negative:

I agree with you completely, let my body ragdoll around for awhile, throw the game to 3rd person action cam or something. You can always have a "press A to respawn now" button if you think players are getting tired of it and want to hurry up. But for sandbox games you need to be able to witness the carnage at your end.

There are missions in Saints Row IV that are just rag dolling yourself into cars, buildings, and whatever. They are called "Insurance Fraud."

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

I remember playing online during the snow event with like 5-6 other goons and we decided to make a pileup and do that, once we got to around 30 abandoned cars in the intersection everyone's PS4 was lagging beyond belief and most of us assumed we were going to either crash our consoles or crash the entire server. Around that point, groups of cars started despawning and the chain reaction of explosions wasn't nearly as cool as we thought it would be, but we certainly had fun trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Sleeveless posted:

Videogame musicals are almost always awful, even when they're trying to be funny like in Bard's Quest they still come across as cringeworthy.

YOU DARE BESMIRCH MY GAME-WAIFU FINAL FANTASY VI??? YOU MUST DIE!! :reject:

No seriously, I have to agree and if Square-Enix made the opera scene today it would probably be mocked more than Tidus' laugh.