Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Chas McGill posted:

Are there any animes with an overt Captain Planet style eco message aside from Ghibli stuff?

the last few episodes of parasyte really shove the message in your face culminating in a long speech for if someone somehow did not manage to get the message earlier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

Are there any animes with an overt Captain Planet style eco message aside from Ghibli stuff?

The Brave Fighter of Legend Da-Garn gets really blatant about this in the later parts.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Arjuna's writing is laughably ham-handed, but a nice feature on the DVDs was the ability to turn on an isolated score, so you can watch the lovely Satelight animation with the amazing Kanno soundtrack without any of the atrocious Kawamori dialogue.

I mean, the show is horrible, don't get me wrong, but the soundtrack is as good as the writing is bad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

arjuna is the kind of show that has a farmer sit down and explain, in exact detail, why insecticides are bad, at length

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Necronomoticon posted:

i like some mecha anime, but not all. macross frontier is anime as gently caress (aaf for short) but I thoroughly enjoyed it and macross plus. knights of sidonia is pretty great and i'm looking forward to the next season on netflix.

are there any gundam series that would be the definitive one to watch or head & shoulders above the rest? recap movies are also acceptable.

I'd say the definitive Gundam is probably Zeta, but you should really watch the original first

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

really everyone has a different opinion on the 'definitive' gundam so just watch whichever ones look interesting to you

except victory

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There's lots of contention over what's the "definitive" gundam, but there's generally not a lot of argument over what the "best" gundam is, Turn A.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

There's lots of contention over what's the "definitive" gundam, but there's generally not a lot of argument over what the "best" gundam is, Turn A.
a lot of people like zeta, some people like the OG movies. a couple of people ive talked to say their favorite is 00 season 1

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

What are people calling the definitive version besides the original and Zeta?

I guess there might be people saying SEED

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've seen folks say 08th ms team, wing, G, Unicorn, etc.

Not necessarily right, of course, but it seems like everyone has their idea of what a "proper" gundam show is

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Unicorn I can understand, maybe 08th MS Team.

But G and Wing? There are honestly people saying that G and Wing are the definitive Gundam shows?

Like, not sarcastically?

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Some people don't know what words mean. :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

people have opinions i don't??????????????

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I would honestly be very interested in hearing someone argue to me how Wing is the definitive Gundam series

There must be something in that line of reasoning that I have never considered, it might be a cool discussion

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ninjewtsu posted:

I would honestly be very interested in hearing someone argue to me how Wing is the definitive Gundam series

There must be something in that line of reasoning that I have never considered, it might be a cool discussion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lvJ6eFcCJE

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

they watched it when they were 12 and the only other gundam series they've seen is g and maybe seed

if youve only watched those three series, yeah, wing probably seems like the most consistent and defining of the bunch

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
there is no world in which wing is in any form superior to g gundam whether it be characterization, plot, or the talent and skill with which it was made

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

muike posted:

there is no world in which wing is in any form superior to g gundam whether it be characterization, plot, or the talent and skill with which it was made
the world of a 13-year-old girl

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

muike posted:

Build Fighters.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

So tell me, as someone who knows nothing about Gundam besides having watched the first like 5 episodes of Reconguista and all of Gurren Lagann, what exactly is wrong with SEED?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

So tell me, as someone who knows nothing about Gundam besides having watched the first like 5 episodes of Reconguista and all of Gurren Lagann, what exactly is wrong with SEED?
it leans too heavily into the melodrama and the protagonist is painted as almost messiah-like in his purity and goodness

it's still not a terrible show, though. that honor goes to seed destiny

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I used to think Mwu was super cool and totally made up for any shortcomings the series had but in retrospect he really isn't.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

To be fair, Kira doesn't go full messiah mode until Destiny, for most of SEED he's screwing up and trying to learn how to screw up less, only for things to screw themselves up a little more.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

TARDISman posted:

To be fair, Kira doesn't go full messiah mode until Destiny, for most of SEED he's screwing up and trying to learn how to screw up less, only for things to screw themselves up a little more.

Yeah a lot of vitrol is definitely blowback from Destiny.

If we never got a sequel instead of having that rep most people would just shrug and move on instead.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TARDISman posted:

iunno i think a lot of the edits in SEED HD definitely add to the problem

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Endorph posted:

it leans too heavily into the melodrama and the protagonist is painted as almost messiah-like in his purity and goodness

it's still not a terrible show, though. that honor goes to seed destiny

Well I fuckin love melodrama, and anime melodrama most of all, so this show sounds like the show for me

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

Well I fuckin love melodrama, and anime melodrama most of all, so this show sounds like the show for me
"Nicol was only 14 years old! He loved to play the piano!"

if that line sounds awesome to you then yeah, gundam seed will be extremely your poo poo

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

muike posted:

Wing just has something special that G just doesn't quite reach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7SloE7AjqI

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Counterpoint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITYtEFf0cBc

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Endorph posted:

the world of a 13-year-old girl

is this revenge for taking away mahou shoujo shows?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Is Mekakucity Actors any good. I like the colors, as well as the Kagerou Project music videos.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Butt Ghost posted:

Is Mekakucity Actors any good. I like the colors, as well as the Kagerou Project music videos.

It was ok. It was good at being intriguing and looked cool, but ultimately wasn't very good.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

ViggyNash posted:

It was ok. It was good at being intriguing and looked cool, but ultimately wasn't very good.

Yeah. It had a lot more promise than it delivered on.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
you might as well just watch the OP a lot and go rewatch all of the actual song MVs until you understand the plot.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
After being disappointed by Escaflowne I watched 2 episodes of Welcome to the NHK yesterday. It's exactly my style show, so thanks for recommending it earlier.

Regarding Escaflowne...

I was totally down with everything up until about episode 19ish. And then the josei side of the show just went into overdrive and IMO nothing made sense anymore. Most notably I didn't feel that there was a real reason for Van to forgive his brother, there wasn't a real reason for Folken to change sides and jesus god did they abuse the poo poo out of that magic teleporting into exactly the right place and time bullshit. I am a fan of josei material but god drat there was a significant amount of suspension of belief necessary to make it possible to swallow what the show was serving.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Is there any good horror stuff out there?

A few years ago I read a bunch of Junji Ito (and liked it a lot) but that's all I know

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I only watched the first two episodes of it so perhaps someone else can tell you better, but Mononoke.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

I only watched the first two episodes of it so perhaps someone else can tell you better, but Mononoke.

Mononoke is a goddamn masterpiece. I like to think of it as creepy version of Mushishi.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

Is there any good horror stuff out there?
i like higurashi but the anime is questionable.

some people are into Shiki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
This friend I have keeps telling my to watch DxD, I really don't want to but I have one question.

Is it like PSG or much worse?

• Locked thread