Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, "Not only 'no', but 'hell no'." ~ Harry Reid, on whether he'll support fast-track authority for the TPA.

You don't even need to do the "sunglasses drop down" deal with it gif. It's already done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Stereotype posted:

I like how quickly forget how mind bogglingly terrible the Bush presidency was, and how much worse it could have been if they had done everything they wanted

:agreed: He was going to end Social Security, for chrissakes!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

chitoryu12 posted:

The recent interviews with him regarding torture are downright terrifying. The guy comes off as legitimately a maniac who would probably personally pull your balls off with pliers if he thought it could get him what he wanted. I don't think human life even factors into his world view.

I seem to recall either he or either Lynne or Liz Cheney once said their biggest worry for the future is that people would start identifying Dick as an "American Pinochet."

Guess what the title of my first political history is going to be. :getin:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

JT Jag posted:

Im sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of Obama trying to sell America's nuclear secrets to Communist China

You mean the ones that the Clintons didn't sell to them in the 90s? :freep:

radical meme posted:

More money for Haliburton. How those no bid contracts in Iraq and Afghanistan were never investigated is mind blowing.

"We must look forward, not back."
-Some shithead who became president.

mctesticle
Sep 28, 2004
"We must move forward, not backward; upward, not forward; and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom! "

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

mctesticle posted:

"We must move forward, not backward; upward, not forward; and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom! "

That's Ted Cruz's favorite line from the Simpsons.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I would've thought it was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0aNxzF7MAk

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

How can someone miss the point of an EXTREMELY left leaning show like that. This goes beyond green eggs and ham because this show bashes conservatives on a show by show basis.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

How can someone miss the point of an EXTREMELY left leaning show like that. This goes beyond green eggs and ham because this show bashes conservatives on a show by show basis.

Ted Cruz really does believe they were chanting Boo-urns.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Whoever did that Hilary write up earlier, thanks. That was a good/interesting read.

Joementum posted:

Hahahah. You got me with this one.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Cloture filed on the Lynch nomination just now. Vote could come tomorrow.

edit: Mitch says Thursday, if the trafficking bill passes as amended tomorrow.

Joementum fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 22, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Jonah Goldberg and Trump locked in a death battle :unsmigghh:

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

SedanChair posted:

Jonah Goldberg and Trump locked in a death battle :unsmigghh:

With any luck it'll culminate into a real knife fight.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Hey look, someone's actually getting prosecuted for financial crimes:
http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/trader-charged-for-contributing-to-2010-flash-crash/ar-AAbrOwa?ocid=ansCNBC11

quote:

Trader charged for contributing to 2010 flash crash

A high-frequency futures trader has been charged with illegally manipulating the stock market, contributing to the May 2010 "flash crash," according to documents unsealed Tuesday.

The Justice Department charged the United Kingdom's Navinder Singh Sarao with wire fraud, 10 counts of commodities fraud, 10 counts of commodities manipulation, and one count of spoofing (which is when a trader places a bid or offer with the intent to cancel before execution).

Sarao was arrested Tuesday in the U.K., and the U.S. is requesting his extradition, the DOJ said. The charges were filed in a federal complaint in February, but were unsealed today following the arrest.

The Commodity Futures Trading Commission also filed parallel civil charges against Sarao on Tuesday, calling him a "very significant player in the market."

The CFTC alleged in a conference call that Sarao was believed to have profited by about $40 million for his scheme. U.S. authorities have frozen nearly $7 million worth of his assets and accounts, Aitan Goelman, CFTC director of enforcement, said on the call.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Heard that earlier today. He'd probably be free and clear had it not been rich people's money he hosed with.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ReidRansom posted:

Heard that earlier today. He'd probably be free and clear had it not been rich people's money he hosed with.

You don't crash a market to makes $40 million and get away with it. You'd have to do it for a thousand times that amount for it to be legal.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Joementum posted:

My favorite was Cheney's plan to bomb the tunnel into Georgia while the Russian tanks were inside it.

Yup, we were that close to a hot war with Russia :bravo:

Oh cool, it took the personal insight of George W. Bush to prevent World War III. We're so loving lucky.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

With the Paris Climate Summit soon to be under way, what are the chances poo poo actually gets accomplished this time?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

dreffen posted:

With any luck it'll culminate into a real knife fight.

As the saying goes: the loser of a knife fight dies on the scene. The winner of a knife fight, contrarily, dies in the ambulance.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

My Imaginary GF posted:

You don't crash a market to makes $40 million and get away with it. You'd have to do it for a thousand times that amount for it to be legal.

He probably didn't cut the right people in on his scheme either

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012
*smarmy goony as gently caress vague post about the financial crisis*

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

I, personally, would have thought it was this (applies to most Republicans): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdozkeNqNQk

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Joementum posted:

Haha, this is such a good description of him.

I was arguing with someone that thought he was really smart and dangerous, he is liberal as hell, and thought all his stupid things are actually intentional. I tried to reference his idiotic legislative missteps but I suppose it's always possible he just hates things going as planned.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Stereotype posted:

I was arguing with someone that thought he was really smart and dangerous, he is liberal as hell, and thought all his stupid things are actually intentional. I tried to reference his idiotic legislative missteps but I suppose it's always possible he just hates things going as planned.

Allowing the democratic Senate to confirm liberal judicial nominees with its dying breath is actually nth-dimensional chess, wherein Cruz intends to benefit from middle-american outrage stirred up by a landmark court decision he anticipates 18 years from now.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Apr 22, 2015

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Stereotype posted:

Cruz is smart.

This doesn't mean he realized how important Senate procedure is, and he completely failed to hire anyone who understands it.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Happy 145th Birthday, Lenin!

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx
The part to me that is shocking about the US and Russia almost going to war in Georgia isn't that W was the smartest guy in the room. It's that after he listened to people, people HE CHOSE, speculate about using American military power against Russia he didn't just loving fire them all. The more I read about Bush the more I agree with sedanchair (I think it's him) that W is way smarter than we give him credit for, which makes it all the more damning that he surrounded himself with such loving morons.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
A US District Court judge has ruled that the MTA must once again allow advertising which implies that Muslims kill Jews to "[draw] closer to Allah" to be displayed on buses.

quote:

The ad is paid for the American Freedom Defense Initiative.
It has already been displayed on public transport in Chicago and San Francisco.
The advert shows a threatening-looking man with his head and face wrapped in a scarf, next to a quotation attributed to a music video from the militant Palestinian group Hamas.
The quote says: "Killing Jews is worship that draws us close to Allah."
The advert asks: "That's his Jihad. What's yours?"

The advertising has previously been displayed on public transit in San Francisco and Chicago.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 22, 2015

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Well, I guess being a complete and utter rear end and hating your fellow man in public isn't illegal.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Not to Meg From Family Guy post, but he's not wrong. Doesn't seem like a valid exception to free speech protections, lovely as that speech is.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It looks like straight-up wartime propaganda to me, but not by the government. It's just not something I expected to see.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Idiotic but the price of the first amendment. :sigh:

E: you know what, on second thought, gently caress this. Advertising has a right to tell people to take their money elsewhere. Last time I checked, hating Muslims wasn't a protected class.

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Apr 22, 2015

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
It's public advertising.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
2 screens is boss but I really think that 3+ is a crowd.

Also dissapoint that one of those isn't solitaire or forums or something

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Well, turnabout is fair play. Maybe a campaign featuring quotes by Israeli assholes

“Goyim were born only to serve us. Without that, they have no place in the world – only to serve the People of Israel.”

“In Israel, death has no dominion over them… With gentiles, it will be like any person – they need to die, but [God] will give them longevity. Why? Imagine that one’s donkey would die, they’d lose their money.

“This is his servant… That’s why he gets a long life, to work well for this Jew.”

“Why are gentiles needed? They will work, they will plow, they will reap. We will sit like an effendi and eat… That is why gentiles were created.”

"There was a tsunami and there are terrible natural disasters, because there isn’t enough Torah study… Black people reside there [New Orleans]. Blacks will study the Torah? [God said] let’s bring a tsunami and drown them.”

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

McAlister posted:

Why not?

I mean, when I think of her I think of someone who never gives up and just keeps pushing an issue till it gets done. She started pushing healthcare reform as First Lady, for example, and made it a centerpiece of her 2008 presidential campaign forcing everyone else to have a plan and ensuring that no matter who won something would have to get done.

I'm serious, she is in the record in 2007 saying she was going to do it on purpose:

http://www.pewforum.org/2008/11/04/religion-and-politics-08-hillary-clinton/

And She did. It was masterful. By making her campaign be all about health care reform she forced the other candidates to come up with their own plans and make promises on the topic. Even if she lost, she won.

I honestly think the LBJ comparisons are spot on with her. I mean seriously people, when you guys talk about her I want to ask if there are two Hillary Clinton's and if you are talking about some other person.

She can do the exact same thing as politicians you like - but when she does it you ignore it until forced to look at it then hand wave it away declaring that if something she said/did conflicts with your mental image of what you want her to be that reality is wrong and your battlestar galactica style head-hillary is right.

Almost every time I read people badmouthing her and go googling for justification I come up empty or with a history of the opposite of what people are claiming about her.

For example:

Warren says in a local interview: http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2012/10/17/graphic-for-senate-tax-story/lAKywM5PS185ALHfQojuzH/story.html

Raise capital gains taxes to 20%

Repeal the Bush tax cuts.

Clinton says in a nationally televised debate: http://www.ontheissues.org/celeb/Hillary_Clinton_Tax_Reform.htm

Raise capital gains taxes to 20%

Repeal the bush tax cuts and return brackets to where they were in the 90's cause it worked for us then.

Warren wants to end oil and gas subsidies. So does hillary. In fact, Hillary has voted to do exactly that in the senate http://eaglefordtexas.com/news/id/150340/what-would-another-clinton-president-mean-for-oil-and-gas/ it's on her permanent record.

Who said this - Warren or clinton?

Clinton. From the link above. And in 2007 she co-sponsored an initiative to get the US on 25 % renewables by 2025.

Ohh we wuuuv Elizabeth and hate dat mean old Hillary! Yes we do!

I know I know. If Clinton said something good and has a decades long voting record supporting the good thing it must be just a long con. It's like satan putting fossils in the ground to fool you into thinking evolution happened. It can't actually be because she is motivated by making the world a better place as best she can.

The stuff I don't like about her I never see any of you mention. When you read her actual words - not punditry trying to cast her as some 2-D trope - you realize she is rather more religious than the media paints her.

It's the good kind of religious, duty to the poor, moral obligation, have a decent side of oblige with your noblesse. But religion is a team gop thing so the media downplays the faith of team democrat a lot and I was surprised to see it when I started seriously researching her ( pssst, serious research means you stop reading what other people say about her and start looking at stuff she actually said/did ).

I find that Jesus aftertaste unpleasant but the sentiment is a good one and her actions in public service have consistently reflected her words. I see no evidence of hucksterism in her references to faith - how could there be since the media consistently ignores it? - and her God tells her to do nice things rather than hate gays or whatever.

We suggest that feminist enthusiasm for Hillary Clinton is reflective of a profound crisis of U.S. liberal feminism, which has long embraced or accepted corporate capitalism, racism, empire, and even heterosexism and transphobia.

-------------
All issues of wealth, power, and violence are also women’s and LGBT rights issues. For instance, neoliberal economic policies of austerity and privatization disproportionately hurt women and LGBT individuals, who are often the lowest paid and the first workers to be fired, the most likely to bear the burdens of family maintenance, and the most affected by the involuntary migration, domestic violence, homelessness, and mental illness that are intensified by poverty.

Hillary Clinton’s record on such issues is hardly encouraging. Her decades of service on corporate boards and in major policy roles as First Lady, U.S. Senator and Secretary of State give a clear indication of where she stands. One of Clinton’s first high-profile public positions was at Walmart, where she served on the board from 1986 to 1992. She “remained silent” in board meetings as her company “waged a major campaign against labor unions seeking to represent store workers,” as an ABC review of video recordings later noted.

Clinton recounted in her 2003 book that Walmart CEO Sam Walton “taught me a great deal about corporate integrity and success.” Though she later began trying to shed her public identification with the company in order to attract labor support for her Senate and presidential candidacies, Walmart executives have continued to look favorably on her, with Alice Walton donating the maximum amount to the “Ready for Hillary” Super PAC in 2013. Walton’s $25,000 donation was considerably higher than the average annual salary for Walmart’s hourly employees, two-thirds of whom are women.

----------------------------------

After leaving Walmart, Clinton became perhaps the most active First Lady in history. While it would be unfair to hold her responsible for all her husband’s policies, she did play a significant role in shaping and justifying many of them.

In her 2003 memoir she boasted of gutting welfare: “By the time Bill and I left the White House, welfare rolls had dropped 60 percent” — and not because poverty had dropped. Women and children, the main recipients of welfare, have been the primary victims. Jeffrey St. Clair at Counterpunch notes that prior to the welfare reform, “more than 70 percent of poor families with children received some kind of cash assistance. By 2010, less than 30 percent got any kind of cash aid and the amount of the benefit had declined by more than 50 percent from pre-reform levels.”

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/08/23/us/clinton-signs-bill-cutting-welfare-states-in-new-role.html

http://m.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1997/03/the-worst-thing-bill-clinton-has-done/376797/

Clinton also lobbied Congress to pass her husband’s deeply racist crime bill, which, observes Michelle Alexander in The New Jim Crow, “escalated the drug war beyond what conservatives had imagined possible,” expanding mass incarceration and the death penalty.

--------------

Arguably the two most defining features of Clinton’s tenures as Senator (2001-2009) and Secretary of State (2009-2013) were her promotion of U.S. corporate profit-making and her aggressive assertion of the U.S. government’s right to intervene in foreign countries. Reflecting on this performance as Clinton left her Secretary post in January 2013, Bloomberg Businessweek commented that “Clinton turned the State Department into a machine for promoting U.S. business.” She sought “to install herself as the government’s highest-ranking business lobbyist,” directly negotiating lucrative overseas contracts for U.S. corporations like Boeing, Lockheed, and General Electric. Not surprisingly, “Clinton’s corporate cheerleading has won praise from business groups.”

Clinton herself has been very honest about this aim, albeit not when speaking in front of progressives. Her 2011 Foreign Policy essay on “America’s Pacific Century” spoke at length about the objective of “opening new markets for American businesses,” containing no fewer than ten uses of the phrases “open markets,” “open trade,” and permutations thereof.

A major focus of this effort is the Trans-Pacific Partnership involving twelve Pacific countries that is now being negotiated secretively by the Obama administration with the assistance of over 600 corporate “advisors.” Like Bill Clinton’s NAFTA, the deal is intended to further empower multinational corporations at the expense of workers, consumers, and the environment in all countries involved. Lower wages and increased rates of displacement, detention, and physical violence for female and LGBT populations are among the likely consequences, given the results of existing “free-trade” agreements.

Clinton’s article also elaborated on the role of U.S. military power in advancing these economic goals. The past “growth” of eastern Asia has depended on “the security and stability that has long been guaranteed by the U.S. military,” and “a more broadly distributed military presence across the region will provide vital advantages” in the future.

Clinton thus reaffirmed the bipartisan consensus on the U.S. right to use military force abroad in pursuit of economic interest — echoing, for instance, her husband’s Secretary of Defense William Cohen, who in 1999 reserved the right to “the unilateral use of military power” in the name of “ensuring uninhibited access to key markets, energy supplies, and strategic resources.”

------------

In the Middle East and Central Asia, Clinton has likewise defended the U.S. right to violate international law and human rights. As Senator she not only voted in favor of the illegal 2003 U.S. invasion of Iraq — a monstrous crime that has killed hundreds of thousands of people while sowing terror and sectarianism across the region — she was an outspoken advocate of the invasion and a fierce critic of resistance within the United Nations.

Since then she has only partially disavowed that position (out of political expediency) while speaking in paternalistic and racist terms about Iraqis. Senator Clinton was an especially staunch supporter — even by the standards of the U.S. Congress — of Israel’s illegal military actions and settlement activity in the Occupied Palestinian Territories.

As Barack Obama’s Secretary of State, she presided over the expansion of illegal drone attacks that by conservative estimates have killed many hundreds of civilians, while reaffirming U.S. alliances with vicious dictatorships. As she recounts in her 2014 memoir Hard Choices, “In addition to our work with the Israelis, the Obama Administration also increased America’s own sea and air presence in the Persian Gulf and deepened our ties to the Gulf monarchies.”

Clinton herself is widely recognized to have been one of the administration’s most forceful advocates of attacking or expanding military operations in Afghanistan, Libya and Syria and of strengthening U.S. ties to dictatorships in Tunisia, Egypt, Yemen, Bahrain, Morocco and elsewhere. Maybe the women and girls of these countries, including those whose lives have been destroyed by U.S. bombs, can take comfort in knowing that a “feminist” helped craft U.S. policy.

Secretary Clinton and her team worked to ensure that any challenges to U.S.-Israeli domination of the Middle East were met with brute force and/or various forms of collective punishment.  On Iran, she often echoes the bipartisan line that “all options must remain on the table” — a flagrant violation of the UN Charter’s prohibition of “the threat or use of force” in international relations — and brags in Hard Choices that her team “successfully campaigned around the world to impose crippling sanctions” on the country.

She ensured that Palestine’s UN statehood bid “went nowhere in the Security Council.” Though out of office by the time of Israel’s savage 2014 assault on Gaza, she ardently defended it in interviews. This context helps explain her recent praise for Henry Kissinger, renowned for bombing civilians and supporting regimes that killed and tortured hundreds of thousands of suspected dissidents. She writes in the Washington Post that she “relied on his counsel when I served as secretary of state.”

----------------

In another domain of traditional U.S. ownership, Latin America, Clinton also seems to have followed Kissinger’s example. As confirmed in her 2014 book, she effectively supported the 2009 military overthrow of left-of-center Honduran President Manuel Zelaya — a “caricature of a Central American strongman” — by pushing for a “compromise” solution that endorsed his illegal ouster.

She has advocated the application of the Colombia model — highly militarized “anti-drug” initiatives coupled with neoliberal economic policies — to other countries in the region, and is full of praise for the devastating militarization of Mexico over the past decade. In Mexico that model has resulted in 80,000 or more deaths since 2006, including the 43 Mexican student activists disappeared (and presumably massacred) in September 2014.

In the Caribbean, the U.S. model of choice is Haiti, where Clinton and her husband have relentlessly promoted the sweatshop model of production since the 1990s. WikiLeaks documents show that in 2009 her State Department collaborated with subcontractors for Hanes, Levi’s, and Fruit of the Loom to oppose a minimum wage increase for Haitian workers. After the January 2010 earthquake she helped spearhead the highly militarized U.S. response.

Militarization has plentiful benefits, as Clinton understands. It can facilitate corporate investment, such as the “gold rush” that the U.S. ambassador described following the Haiti earthquake. It can keep in check nonviolent dissidents, such as hungry Haitian workers or leftist students in Mexico. And it can help combat the influence of countries like Venezuela which have challenged neoliberalism and U.S. geopolitical control.

These goals have long motivated U.S. hostility toward Cuba, and thus Clinton’s recent call for ending the U.S. embargo against Cuba was pragmatic, not principled: “It wasn’t achieving its goals” of overthrowing the government, as she says in her recent book. The goal there, as in Venezuela, is to compel the country to “restore private property and return to a free market economy,” as she demanded of Venezuela in 2010.

A reasonable synopsis of Clinton’s record around the world comes from neoconservative policy advisor Robert Kagan, who, like Clinton, played an important role in advocating the 2003 Iraq invasion. “I feel comfortable with her on foreign policy,” Kagan told the New York Times last June.

Asked what to expect from a Hillary Clinton presidency, Kagan predicted that “[i]f she pursues a policy which we think she will pursue, it’s something that might have been called neocon.” But — he added — “clearly her supporters are not going to call it that; they are going to call it something else.”

-----------

There's more:

https://solidarity-us.org/node/4390

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

GlyphGryph posted:

Remember that the SECs response to substantial proof that Haliburton was committing fraud appears to have been asking them to investigate themselves and then leaking the name of the whistleblower responsible for attracting their attention. (They then found that Haliburton did nothing wrong)

Probably the real reason why the GOP fought so hard on that Jamie Jones case to disallow a federal investigation into her gang raping and mutilation as a US contractor in Iraq, they didn't want to set a bad precedent.

Probably the most infuriating hour of CSPAN in recent memory.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Or the sec was afraid of Darth Cheney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

MC Nietzche posted:

The part to me that is shocking about the US and Russia almost going to war in Georgia isn't that W was the smartest guy in the room. It's that after he listened to people, people HE CHOSE, speculate about using American military power against Russia he didn't just loving fire them all. The more I read about Bush the more I agree with sedanchair (I think it's him) that W is way smarter than we give him credit for, which makes it all the more damning that he surrounded himself with such loving morons.

I can highly recommend Days of Fire. I think it dispels any notion that 1. Bush was stupid in the sense most people joke about. 2. Cheney was running the show.

• Locked thread