Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Negligent posted:

Paying someone money, who in exchange for that money places your life and theirs at risk, is not.

This just in, taxis, buses and planes are morally unacceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Negligent posted:

Or you know, you could try to go somewhere you won't be murdered, without paying a people smuggler.

Explain how.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.

Quantum Mechanic posted:

This just in, taxis, buses and planes are morally unacceptable.

Endman already tried that.

Negligent posted:

When you get in taxi you dont do so in the certain knowledge that both you and she will require rescue

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

You place one foot in front of the other and repeat

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Negligent's dick must be red raw from all the stimulus you guys are providing. Seriously, he must be surrounded by a waist-high jizz-caked wall of dirty socks and Kleenex at this point.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Negligent posted:

What about my point about the sale of alcohol (and cigarettes). Both of these pose real harms to the person acquring them, and the community at large, as well as the vendors.

Still waiting to hear how it isn't wrong to do what our government does, ie force people stay in a place they aren't safe, or deny them safe ways to leave said place.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
The main reason I don't have Negligent on ignore is because the little kid in their picture is cute.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

I, Butthole posted:

How in the gently caress does the Auspol thread consistently fall for troll replies when there's an ignore button easily available to all accounts

I'd personally appreciate the option to ignore all posts which quote someone you are ignoring.

SadisTech posted:

Negligent's dick must be red raw from all the stimulus you guys are providing. Seriously, he must be surrounded by a waist-high jizz-caked wall of dirty socks and Kleenex at this point.

And with a little Auspol help, your posts provided the mortar!

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Negligent posted:

And your answer was garbage, because "people smugglers" do not involve the certainty that you will need to be rescued. The possibility, sure, but that is also true of those things I listed. In fact, a few days ago I was involved with a car accident, and I pay for insurance who send out a tow-truck driver to pick me and my car up, in the rain, in the middle of a state forest, on dangerous roads. Am I morally equivalent to somebody who hires a "people smuggler?"

Negligent posted:

You place one foot in front of the other and repeat

You are found in the next town over, shot by radical militants. Your head is placed on a pike as a warning to other members of your ethnic group. Game Over. Would you like to play again? Y/N

(seriously, your response is "just walk?" You have literally no idea what it is to be a member of a targeted group in Afghanistan or Syria, do you?)

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Mr Chips posted:

What about my point about the sale of alcohol (and cigarettes). Both of these pose real harms to the person acquring them, and the community at large, as well as the vendors.

Still waiting to hear how it isn't wrong to do what our government does, ie force people stay in a place they aren't safe, or deny them safe ways to leave said place.
I don't understand the comparison.

If you buy a pack of smokes the vendor isn't required to smoke them with you, whereas a people smuggler goes on the boat with you.

If you buy smokes you aren't doing so in the knowledge that this particular transaction will, with certainty, require someone else to rescue you.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Negligent posted:

I don't understand the comparison.

If you buy a pack of smokes the vendor isn't required to smoke them with you, whereas a people smuggler goes on the boat with you.

If you buy smokes you aren't doing so in the knowledge that this particular transaction will, with certainty, require someone else to rescue you.
Why did you ignore the alcohol bit? Bar staff are at risk from drunk punters, ergo it's exactly the same by your absurdly reductivist reasoning.

Anyone, the ones operating the boats aren't the ones making much money, they're poo poo poor indonesian fishermen getting paid gently caress all and running the risk of ending up in an Australian prison.

Edit: also, still waiting to hear if you think it's morally acceptable to force people to remain in danger, or to prevent them from seeking refuge in a safe manner, as our government does. Australian government polciy has a central role in why people get on 'leaky boats' in indonesia, and it's the only thing we have a chance of changing (compared to, say, ethnic conflict in Sri Lanka). Why won't you address this?

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Apr 22, 2015

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Quantum Mechanic posted:

And your answer was garbage, because "people smugglers" do not involve the certainty that you will need to be rescued. The possibility, sure, but that is also true of those things I listed. In fact, a few days ago I was involved with a car accident, and I pay for insurance who send out a tow-truck driver to pick me and my car up, in the rain, in the middle of a state forest, on dangerous roads. Am I morally equivalent to somebody who hires a "people smuggler?"

You are found in the next town over, shot by radical militants. Your head is placed on a pike as a warning to other members of your ethnic group. Game Over. Would you like to play again? Y/N

(seriously, your response is "just walk?" You have literally no idea what it is to be a member of a targeted group in Afghanistan or Syria, do you?)
I mean rescue in the broadest sense. Not just that the navy comes and saves you, or even that the boat reached shore and you make it to civilisation, but that you will be completely helpless and at the mercy of your rescuer, and again, I mean rescuer broadly.

If, in your current location, you are in danger of being murdered, then the prudent thing to do is go somewhere that you are less likely to be murdered. Walking is available to everyone, whereas people smuggling is not.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Negligent posted:

I mean rescue in the broadest sense. Not just that the navy comes and saves you, or even that the boat reached shore and you make it to civilisation, but that you will be completely helpless and at the mercy of your rescuer, and again, I mean rescuer broadly.

If, in your current location, you are in danger of being murdered, then the prudent thing to do is go somewhere that you are less likely to be murdered. Walking is available to everyone, whereas people smuggling is not.

You have spent all day Tuesday doing a bad job of arguing with people on the internet. I didn't wake up until 1pm and I have had a more constructive day than you.

Think about that.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Crossing a land border on foot fleeing a persecuting regime is totally different and far safer than crossing a water border on boat to do the same because umm....

Look a guide you hire to lead you across the land border to escape persecution is not at all the same as the captain of a boat that carries you across borders to do the same because well..

It's the vibe.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Mr Chips posted:

Why did you ignore the alcohol bit? Bar staff are at risk from drunk punters, ergo it's exactly the same by your absurdly reductivist reasoning.

Anyone, the ones operating the boats aren't the ones making much money, they're poo poo poor indonesian fishermen getting paid gently caress all and running the risk of ending up in an Australian prison.

Edit: also, still waiting to hear if you think it's morally acceptable to force people to remain in danger, or to prevent them from seeking refuge in a safe manner, as our government does. Australian government polciy has a central role in why people get on 'leaky boats' in indonesia.

Smokes, booze whatever. Cross out smoke it with you and write in drink.

Risk is itself not sufficient. It is certainty and conscious knowledge of that certainty.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Negligent posted:

How do you walk off an island?

still waiting to hear if you think it's morally acceptable to force people to remain in danger, or to prevent them from seeking refuge in a safe manner, as our government does. Australian government policy has a central role in why people get on 'leaky boats' in indonesia, and it's the only thing we have a chance of changing (compared to, say, ethnic conflict in Sri Lanka). Why won't you address this?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Mr Chips posted:

How do you walk off an island?

still waiting to hear if you think it's morally acceptable to force people to remain in danger, or to prevent them from seeking refuge in a safe manner, as our government does. Australian government polciy has a central role in why people get on 'leaky boats' in indonesia.

Or across a closed border, or through dangerous terrain that might be between two countries.

I'm sure every North Korean could simply walk to the South if things were really so bad there.

EDIT: Oops they broke the law against leaving the country by leaving the country, better refoul them.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
holy poo poo i cannot stop laughing at this poo poo negligent is posting

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

This is great. Everyones posting is great. never change.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Auspol or Cryptoparty.... Auspol or Cryptoparty....

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Tokamak posted:

Pls phonepost from the cryptoparty

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

hooman posted:

Crossing a land border on foot fleeing a persecuting regime is totally different and far safer than crossing a water border on boat to do the same because umm....

Look a guide you hire to lead you across the land border to escape persecution is not at all the same as the captain of a boat that carries you across borders to do the same because well..

It's the vibe.
Lol

Because, say, militants have never crossed a national border. Go over that imaginary line and you will be safe

Laffo

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Negligent posted:

Keep moving the goalposts! Who says they need to be "at our mercy"? What if all they were planning to do would be pitch a tent on a different continent? Would it be acceptable then, is it only when they're expecting the use of our resources that it becomes immoral? Remember, doing so isn't illegal, and hiring someone's services to do so is also not illegal - it is illegal to OPERATE such a service, but not to patronise it. I'm avoiding mentioning that Australia has literally signed a big piece of paper saying "it's okay to seek asylum here" for this conversation.

Negligent posted:

So you're saying that if you are in danger of being murdered you have a moral obligation to use only the resources available to anyone else who is possibly being murdered? Jeez, it's a shame there are other countries that don't have functional police, fire and ambulance services, because I really like calling those when I'm in danger of being murdered, burned alive or dying of major trauma. Perhaps I should have pushed my car all the way to Tathra personally since not everybody in the world has insurance with tow-truck pickup. I'm glad you've got more moral fibre than to avail yourself of services that only exist because you have enough money for them.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Negligent posted:

Lol

Because, say, militants have never crossed a national border. Go over that imaginary line and you will be safe

Laffo

So you admit that the boat is actually the option that puts you in least danger? That you are in fact endangering yourself and others less by taking a boat?

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Quantum Mechanic posted:

I'm glad you've got more moral fibre than to avail yourself of services that only exist because you have enough money for them.
And the moral fibre to deny people asking for help from getting close enough to actually get that help.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Tokamak posted:

cosplay as JC Denton

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

markgreyam posted:

cosplay as JC Denton

Tell people you know their killphrase.

Tell them you never asked for this.

EDIT: Before any of you spergs say anything I'm aware the second is Adam Jensen.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Keep moving the goalposts! Who says they need to be "at our mercy"? What if all they were planning to do would be pitch a tent on a different continent? Would it be acceptable then, is it only when they're expecting the use of our resources that it becomes immoral? Remember, doing so isn't illegal, and hiring someone's services to do so is also not illegal - it is illegal to OPERATE such a service, but not to patronise it. I'm avoiding mentioning that Australia has literally signed a big piece of paper saying "it's okay to seek asylum here" for this conversation.

So you're saying that if you are in danger of being murdered you have a moral obligation to use only the resources available to anyone else who is possibly being murdered? Jeez, it's a shame there are other countries that don't have functional police, fire and ambulance services, because I really like calling those when I'm in danger of being murdered, burned alive or dying of major trauma. Perhaps I should have pushed my car all the way to Tathra personally since not everybody in the world has insurance with tow-truck pickup. I'm glad you've got more moral fibre than to avail yourself of services that only exist because you have enough money for them.

I've been using rescue in the same sense all along, it's other people who have construed it narrowly. Clarifying their mistake is moving the goalposts? Okay.

The moral obligation is to not use your money to put yourself and the people smuggler in a position requiring rescue. Because if everyone did that, the universe would have rescuees and no rescuers. It's the loving categorical imperative why is this so hard to comprehend.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Negligent posted:

The moral obligation is to not use your money to put yourself and the people smuggler in a position requiring rescue

Okay, good, so you've never used an ambulance or called the fire service then. Good to know.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Negligent posted:

The moral obligation is to not use your money to put yourself and the people smuggler in a position requiring rescue. Because if everyone did that, the universe would have rescuees and no rescuers. It's the loving categorical imperative why is this so hard to comprehend.
How do you feel about Australian government policies of A) not allowing people to fly here to claim asylum, B) burning/impounding the boats, and C) locking up boat operators? Those policies have directly driven the the use of unseaworthy vessels and unskilled sailors and have caused asylum seekers to engage in risky behaviour.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Okay, good, so you've never used an ambulance or called the fire service then. Good to know.

Sigh, the difference is that you know with certainty upon entering into the act that you will be putting yourself at the mercy of a rescuer, as opposed to an unexpected emergency.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Negligent posted:

Sigh, the difference is that you know with certainty upon entering into the act that you will be at the mercy of a rescuer, as opposed to an unexpected emergency.

If I'm calling the ambulance because I have a medical complaint I am doing so in the full certainty that I am placing myself at the mercy of paramedics and requiring them to put themselves in danger for my sake.

Of course I am Literally Hitler so there's that

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin
(for those playing at home Negligent is using a completely arbitrary definition of "rescue" which just so happens to mean "what seeking asylum requires but not literally any other action in a cohesive society" and is using that as some sort of basis for a moral imperative, because he cannot intellectual reconcile his frothing hatred of refugees with his need to exist in a comfortable wealthy Western society)

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Quantum Mechanic posted:

If I'm calling the ambulance because I have a medical complaint I am doing so in the full certainty that I am placing myself at the mercy of paramedics and requiring them to put themselves in danger for my sake.

Of course I am Literally Hitler so there's that

But you don't make a conscious decision to have a medical compliant requiring emergency care.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Hey negligent, if is it immoral for asylum seekers to put themselves into situations where they might need rescuing, is it also immoral for us to deny them safe alternatives?

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Quantum Mechanic posted:

(for those playing at home Negligent is using a completely arbitrary definition of "rescue" which just so happens to mean "what seeking asylum requires but not literally any other action in a cohesive society" and is using that as some sort of basis for a moral imperative, because he cannot intellectual reconcile his frothing hatred of refugees with his need to exist in a comfortable wealthy Western society)

For those with access to a dictionary rescue means 'to free or deliver from confinement, violence, danger, or evil.'

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Negligent posted:

But you don't make a conscious decision to have a medical compliant requiring emergency care.

Nor did they make a conscious decision to be hunted down by militant extremists. Just as you said they can walk, I can walk to a nearby hospital. We're talking about the actions we decide to take as a result of our circumstances, and there is no moral difference between me asking a paramedic to risk themselves to save my life, asking a policeman to come and deal with a gunman or paying somebody for passage to somewhere safe. What you are saying is it is never moral to either ask or pay for somebody to intervene in a violent situation that involves some risk to their life or property, and that is not possible to reconcile with the use of emergency services.

Nautilus42
Jan 14, 2008
Unrelated sea creature

Negligent posted:

What does this mean? I can't figure out how everyone requires rescuing using this logic - is it because risk is associated with living and thus everyone is in mortal danger?

Because that horrifically undermines the danger people who do have to leave their country face. What if, say, you were Viet and saw the killing fields in Cambodia? Jewish and seeing the horrors of Auschwitz? Where risk of death is so high that living in the area and using ANY service will get you killed.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Negligent posted:

For those with access to a dictionary rescue means 'to free or deliver from confinement, violence, danger, or evil.'

Which is not the definition you are using, because you're a hypocrite playing semantic games to justify your contempt for refugees.

If this WERE the definition you were using, it would cover a whole host of emergency and justice services in Australia, such as the police, homeless and DV shelters and cat rescues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Negligent posted:

It's the loving categorical imperative why is this so hard to comprehend.

This is a fundamental misunderstanding of the categorical imperative. It would only apply to people who are actually being persecuted, and if everyone was being persecuted then people smugglers would be the least of our worries.

• Locked thread