Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

bobvonunheil posted:

I quite like Viticulture! I just played it tonight. Its Tuscany expansion is also possibly one of the best expansions of all time.

It's a worker placement game about winemaking with all the usual worker placement style trimmings, but without being insulting to your intelligence (ala Lords of Waterdeep). It'll take the first few rounds for everyone to get their heads around how everything works together, but it's good stuff once they do.

Yeah, I introduced it to my mother and stepfather (they like wine), and they had a blast even though their only gaming experience has been card games. I beat them handily, but they spent the next few hours talking about it, so I think it went over really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lord Frisk posted:

I was basing my (incorrect) statement from the last time I went looking for Euphoria. I guess they got another print run in the hands of retailers. The last time I had checked I couldn't find a copy for under $100.

I picked up Euphoria at Essen from the big stack of 50 sat in the middle of the stall after three days of everyone who wanted it buying a copy. I've seen it and Viticulture on sale through various board game retail sites since.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Bottom Liner posted:

With my Carc example, how many turns do you draw a dead tile and just place it arbitrarily?

You are really bad at Carcassonne, hope that helps.

Broken Loose posted:

You have a choice of things to do, what a steal! However, more often than not, the choice is false due to poor or no playtesting or simply an overly ambitious market deck. EmiDo's market deck isn't like the others-- planets are a specific and well-tuned cog in the machine, and you won't find random technologies or role cards in the planet deck. Through the Ages is similar, separating Civil cards from Military cards even if each deck still has too much variety to be properly split up among the players over 2 hours. Additionally, the "aggravated" part of the parade is due to the fact that cards in Ascension are revealed immediately when available, allowing for no planning of any kind. Through the Ages has an alternative approach which causes cards to be more expensive when revealed. A common houserule for Ascension was to have 2 parades, 1 as the real parade and 1 as a preview of what would go into the real parade when purchases were made.games.

If you're making a market row game I can't think of a single reason to not at least have the top card of the draw pile revealed, like tasks in Tash-Kalar.

The thing about separating your different types of randomness out is what Vlaada lectured Ignacy Trzewiczek about when playtesting Robinson Crusoe, it gives you way more control over player experience. Mage Knight handles this really quite well with its stacks of monsters, separated action and spell cards etc.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

So, I think I understand why there are market parade deck builders. I think they are close to the situation where you top deck a wrath of god at exactly the right moment, or pull some unbelievable bomb in a magic booster draft. Or get pocket aces in a game of poker where you are outmatched. Sometimes, people just want their opponents to be struck by lightning. It can also make these games feel like slot machines, where you just pull the lever over and over and occasionally you get a jackpot.

Ascension and Star Realms were designed by literal champion MTG players so yeah, it's basically some guys going "Dominion is cool but it's really lacking some of MTG's flaws"

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Bubble-T posted:

Ascension and Star Realms were designed by literal champion MTG players so yeah, it's basically some guys going "Dominion is cool but it's really lacking some of MTG's flaws"

How does that compare to someone wanting to setup Dominion in the style of Splendor, using a three tier market, and card reservation (use a buy to reserve a card and get a coin token).

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

What are some recommendations that work both as a 2-player game and with higher player counts? Complexity or lack of it doesn't really matter but a strong theme would be welcome. I'm mainly trying to find more games to play with my fiancee but want games I can play outside of the house as well.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

unpronounceable posted:

How does that compare to someone wanting to setup Dominion in the style of Splendor, using a three tier market, and card reservation (use a buy to reserve a card and get a coin token).

The static market is important to dominion because it opens up ludicrous amounts of design space. There's a reason it's supported so many expansions so well. You can make cards with very specific effects, cards that only make sense when some other effect is in the market, cards that actually make your deck worse if bought randomly and so on, because nobody is ever stuck with a market full of scouts and potions.

By contrast, look at the card design in market deckbuilders and you'll see that there's basically no cards that could be useless or detrimental. You pretty much never make your deck worse by buying something, just worse relative to your opponents. Valley of the Kings takes this to extremes with every single card in the deck (including starter cards) having a gold value, an ability, and potential VP. Most of these games remove restrictions on buying and actions for similar reasons - the designers have so little control over the game that they have to sand off basically all the edges to keep the thing playable.

Dominion with a Splendor setup makes no sense because Splendor game has near-identical cards, it's pretty much the opposite of Dominion. The tiering is just to ensure that purchasing 'engine' cards is always possible, but functionally there's almost no difference between any one card and another. You might as well be planning to turn set up Puerto Rico using a Monopoly board.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

What are some recommendations that work both as a 2-player game and with higher player counts? Complexity or lack of it doesn't really matter but a strong theme would be welcome. I'm mainly trying to find more games to play with my fiancee but want games I can play outside of the house as well.

What's your maximum player count and how heavy is reasonable?

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Bubble-T posted:

What's your maximum player count and how heavy is reasonable?

I'd prefer 6 but 5 would be ok. We played Eclipse over the weekend with some friends and she liked it a lot but that would probably be the peak of heaviness

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Bubble-T posted:

The static market is important to dominion because it opens up ludicrous amounts of design space. There's a reason it's supported so many expansions so well. You can make cards with very specific effects, cards that only make sense when some other effect is in the market, cards that actually make your deck worse if bought randomly and so on, because nobody is ever stuck with a market full of scouts and potions.

By contrast, look at the card design in market deckbuilders and you'll see that there's basically no cards that could be useless or detrimental. You pretty much never make your deck worse by buying something, just worse relative to your opponents. Valley of the Kings takes this to extremes with every single card in the deck (including starter cards) having a gold value, an ability, and potential VP. Most of these games remove restrictions on buying and actions for similar reasons - the designers have so little control over the game that they have to sand off basically all the edges to keep the thing playable.

Dominion with a Splendor setup makes no sense because Splendor game has near-identical cards, it's pretty much the opposite of Dominion. The tiering is just to ensure that purchasing 'engine' cards is always possible, but functionally there's almost no difference between any one card and another. You might as well be planning to turn set up Puerto Rico using a Monopoly board.

Oh, trust me, I know exactly how bad it is, I was facetiously asking because there was an idiot on reddit who though it would be interesting. Beyond all the problems you mentioned, the base cards would need to be separate due to how other cards interact with them, and the game would be who lucks into big money the fastest. Never mind how broken a 2/5 opening would be with a gold in your first cycle.

EDIT:

Bubble-T posted:

Keyflower, if you can find it. 7 Wonders would work as well but I don't like it much with 2 players.

I agree on both counts.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

I'd prefer 6 but 5 would be ok. We played Eclipse over the weekend with some friends and she liked it a lot but that would probably be the peak of heaviness

Keyflower, if you can find it. 7 Wonders would work as well but I don't like it much with 2 players. I hear Coup is ok with two players but I haven't tried it. Libertalia

There's not many good games that cover that range, anything non-simultaneous blows out in play time. If you're willing to play for 4 hours at 6 people then you could look in to games like Caverna or Power Grid. Apparently Viticulture plays 6 but I have no idea how good it would be.

unpronounceable posted:

Oh, trust me, I know exactly how bad it is, I was facetiously asking because there was an idiot on reddit who though it would be interesting. Beyond all the problems you mentioned, the base cards would need to be separate due to how other cards interact with them, and the game would be who lucks into big money the fastest. Never mind how broken a 2/5 opening would be with a gold in your first cycle.

Oh, haha sorry. I've been arguing with the guy who designs Prismata recently about a bunch of stuff with one of my main points being how incredibly boring their unit design is given that they use a Kingdom setup, so I'm in the mindset of "why don't people understand this simple poo poo??" right now.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Apr 22, 2015

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The Spring of Good poo poo is off to a great start, 2 Rooms and a Boom just sent out another delay. Specifically late August, not even in time for GenCon lmao

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Bubble-T posted:

Oh, haha sorry. I've been arguing with the guy who designs Prismata recently about a bunch of stuff with one of my main points being how incredibly boring their unit design is given that they use a Kingdom setup, so I'm in the mindset of "why don't people understand this simple poo poo??" right now.

God, Prismata. I wish I could get that morning of my life back. What a tedious pile of poo poo. When I get home, remind me to bitch about how awful the design principle of that game is.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Countblanc posted:

The Spring of Good poo poo is off to a great start, 2 Rooms and a Boom just sent out another delay. Specifically late August, not even in time for GenCon lmao

L M A O

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anyone have experience with Lewis & Clark?

My gf wants to get me a game for my birthday, but I can't decide. L&C seems very fun to me, but it might be a bit complicated to teach to my nieces and nephew. I'm also looking for a 5 player game but L&C might be broken/boring at 5 players.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

People on opinionatedgamers.com that went to the Gathering of Friends con seem to be really hyped on the Vlaada word game prototype. Also Marco Polo and a new game called Mombasa.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
Well, I played my second game of Hansa Teutonica today and I won. I'm not exactly sure how to play the game if everyone goes for the extra action routes but it hasn't come to that yet. I think I'm going to be seeing a lot more of this since everyone seems to enjoy it.

I also played Super Motherload tonight and despite the nice art and pretty components I felt it wasn't that spectacular. At least people are trying to do better things with deckbuilders? I'm just not sure how to feel about this one.

Maybe Dominant Species? Race for the Galaxy can be played up to 6 if you have expansions. You're looking for something that I don't know really exists, having both a strong 2p component AND being able to support up to 6. You could play Game of Thrones and each play 3 factions?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Of these LCGs should I get Netrunner, LotR, or Star Wars? I assume Netrunner has the biggest player base but I think my wife would enjoy the licensed ones a lot more.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

EvilChameleon posted:

Well, I played my second game of Hansa Teutonica today and I won. I'm not exactly sure how to play the game if everyone goes for the extra action routes but it hasn't come to that yet.

Plant yourself on those routes and force others to kick you out. Then later on use the action that lets you move 2 cubes to claim that or any other route. Hansa Teutonica is all about passive aggressive expansion.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Bottom Liner posted:

Of these LCGs should I get Netrunner, LotR, or Star Wars? I assume Netrunner has the biggest player base but I think my wife would enjoy the licensed ones a lot more.

Netrunner is the best competitive, LOTR is the best (and only, I guess) cooperative. I found Star Wars very eh and greatly prefer WH40k Conquest to it, but it is much easier to deckbuild for.

Countblanc posted:

For all the hilarious number of delays on this project, I at least appreciate that they keep communicating their numerous fumbles and stumbles.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

For those interested in game design talk, there's an interesting discussion about Roll for the Galaxy going on right now:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1338992/quick-and-dirty-review-some-negatives-after-96-pla

The thread author is a very experienced RftG player with some reasonable comments, both designers are responding. Wei-Hwa goes fairly deep in to the meat of the game's design and why he made certain decisions.

I think the most amusing takeaway is Tom (correctly) stating that you really need high level competitive play with a large variety of players to settle it, which is the one thing Roll is almost entirely unsuited for. You'd need one judge for every player in the tournament. I think the only solution is to make a solid online implementation.

Broken Loose posted:

God, Prismata. I wish I could get that morning of my life back. What a tedious pile of poo poo. When I get home, remind me to bitch about how awful the design principle of that game is.

Please do - I've been discussing it elsewhere and it's interesting because it's probably the biggest gulf between how much I should like something and how much I actually like it in my life.

The designers have some understandable explanations for some things but also some very odd ideas as well. Would be nice to hear more about what you think of it.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

People on opinionatedgamers.com that went to the Gathering of Friends con seem to be really hyped on the Vlaada word game prototype. Also Marco Polo and a new game called Mombasa.

This thing is as close to "shut up and take my money" as it gets for me.

Friese's 504 also seems to be good based on what I've heard which is kind of incredible.

EvilChameleon posted:

Race for the Galaxy can be played up to 6 if you have expansions.

Race for the Galaxy is.. not good with 6, and I say that as a huge RftG apologist. Certainly not worth buying base + two expansions.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Apr 22, 2015

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Bubble-T posted:

Please do - I've been discussing it elsewhere and it's interesting because it's probably the biggest gulf between how much I should like something and how much I actually like it in my life.

The designers have some understandable explanations for some things but also some very odd ideas as well. Would be nice to hear more about what you think of it.

Okay, so I'm home, and I'm not phoneposting anymore. This might repeat some of my rant from earlier.

Prismata claims to recreate "the best parts" of RTSes combined with "the best parts" of Hearthstone. I think the closest comparison is Yomi, which absolutely does recreate the best parts of fighting games.

When casual people talk positively about RTSes, they rave about building armies and bases and doing cool things and trying to feel like a strategic commander. The map is part of it, the landscape and the obstacles. The dudes are part of it-- the fighting dudes, not the guys chopping wood. The absolute best RTS in my opinion is Company of Heroes. It makes a beautiful use out of the medium-- each battle is a battle, and it's gamey but enough like a sim to feel palpable. You have map control, you have supply lines, you have maneuvering, you have research, you have counterpicks, you have unit classes, and you have all of this in a clear package that never feels tedious or aggravating.

Prismata has none of this. Prismata has the peasants chopping gold as a primary focus of the loving game. Prismata would have you believe that the part of RTSes where you have to concede a game of Starcraft at the first mistake because anything afterward is a formality. Prismata is about counting and lots of loving counting. Every single click has to 100% not be wasted, and it's all the stupid and tedious and stressful population-tracking build order static bullshit first 3 minutes of every Brood War match but without any of the awesome stuff that comprises the last 17 minutes. Information is even public so you can't pretend like there's fog of war or a map involved.

Yomi is how you do it right. People say, "If I didn't have to execute combos or special moves, I could be a strategic mastermind at fighting games!" Yomi has that down to a T. Yomi is Super Turbo but without all the poo poo casuals complain about being a hurdle. Yomi is the opposite of Prismata. The Prismata version of Yomi would be a game entirely composed of one-frame links and pretzel motions without any mixups or dramatic comebacks.

There might be a good game in Prismata. A Dominion clone with no deck but instead an array of cards that can be activated is a great idea for an economic Euro and would basically be a fixed Machi Koro. However, that would require scrapping nearly the entirety of the existing product, because holy poo poo is it not enjoyable.

Peak Prismata is the tutorial where the opponent has a billion units that all unlock in 10 turns and you have to do a specific build order to win. It's really tedious and infuriating just mathing and grinding out a specific PIN combination of dudes that will make you beat a stacked situation. Then it hits you-- this is what the high level of the game is supposed to be like. The emperor just walked into your living room, disrobed, pointed at his junk, and said, "You can look forward to feeling exactly the way you feel right now every time you attempt to win at this game."

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
:wtf: am I even looking at

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Yeah I agree with pretty much all of that. One thing to note is the designers totally don't believe it's anything like Hearthstone, that's marketing nonsense which was relieving to find out because their game is literally nothing like Hearthstone or even MtG. It is, as you say, Starcraft with all the clicking and math and build order optimisation but no map or fog of war.

Now, I like build order optimisation in Starcraft. Looking back the most fun I had with that game was testing build orders that let you squeeze out one extra drone while having just enough defense to survive the most absurd all-in and contingency plans for what you saw when you scouted your opponent. The problem is almost everything interesting about Starcraft build order optimisation relies on there being a map and fog of war. I think Kingdoms can theoretically handle this in a different way - unlike Starcraft, you can increase the variance to the point where you might not just be running through solved routines all the time. Prismata isn't there at all, though they promise to start adding more interesting units.

Broken Loose posted:

Peak Prismata is the tutorial where the opponent has a billion units that all unlock in 10 turns and you have to do a specific build order to win. It's really tedious and infuriating just mathing and grinding out a specific PIN combination of dudes that will make you beat a stacked situation. Then it hits you-- this is what the high level of the game is supposed to be like. The emperor just walked into your living room, disrobed, pointed at his junk, and said, "You can look forward to feeling exactly the way you feel right now every time you attempt to win at this game."
I'm pretty concerned that their insistence on P1/P2 turn based play combined with lethality win condition means their game is just going to be kind of broken regardless, though it might just be their current solution. One of the tutorials that's supposed to emphasise strong tempo units combined with freezing for easy breach has, as far as I can tell, a single opening that isn't basically auto-win for P2 (because they can optimise their tech purchases better while droning) and it's a really weird unintuitive thing. Like you said it is not fun at all.

I actually think the closest board game equivalent I've played is Through The Ages. Similar economic system but with actual friction, similar flat combat but with none of the endless clicking and counting, and most importantly when you want to move your units from economy to attack or vice versa it's a big loving decision not some tiny optimisation poo poo you have to do every turn for 16 turns. I'm really tempted to build something around a more euro economy and combat with kingdoms.

Bottom Liner posted:

:wtf: am I even looking at

That's not even a particularly complicated or misleading setup, lol

Like, look here and listen to the commentary. That's one of the lead devs noting that a player attacked with one of his units even though it was completely pointless just so that unit wouldn't show up in his blocking calculations during the next turn. On his opponent's turn both the Cauterizers' damage show up in the 'future damage potential' number even though he literally doesn't have the resources to activate both of them. When one of them dies the dev notes that this phantom damage disappearing from the game will make it easier for his opponent.

Combat is a trainwreck of calculation and micromanagement.

edit: also why do fragile units have their hitpoints in a different place to regular units? Why don't blockers have their shield in the same place as their HP? :iiam:

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Apr 22, 2015

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Broken Loose posted:

The absolute best RTS in my opinion is Company of Heroes.

Thank you for having good opinions.

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013
Has anyone tried Roll for the Galaxy? Getting it in the mail soon, and wondered what peoples thoughts were.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

lordsummerisle posted:

Has anyone tried Roll for the Galaxy? Getting it in the mail soon, and wondered what peoples thoughts were.

It's pretty good, sort of a different version of Race for the Galaxy. The game flows more smoothly than Race because you don't have people looking through their hand of 10 cards and going "oh, what card do I discard?" for five minutes every explore/settle/develop phase.

The most important thing to know when learning/teaching it is that a die result has no bearing whatsoever on what you can actually do with that die; it just influences where you have to put it to begin with.

bobvonunheil fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Apr 22, 2015

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

lordsummerisle posted:

I've only played it twice but it seemed very good for a dice game. It is, however, a dice game and I suspect that will be the major determinant of whether people like it.

Also cheating is ridiculously easy. If you play with anyone who might take advantage of that, beware.

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013

Bubble-T posted:

I've only played it twice but it seemed very good for a dice game. It is, however, a dice game and I suspect that will be the major determinant of whether people like it.

Also cheating is ridiculously easy. If you play with anyone who might take advantage of that, beware.

I don't play with those kinds of people. And even if someone does, I don't really mind as it doesn't detract from my enjoyment.

I have only played King of Tokyo and Pandemic The Cure, and think both are alright. Have a feeling this one will have less luck, though.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

lordsummerisle posted:

I don't play with those kinds of people. And even if someone does, I don't really mind as it doesn't detract from my enjoyment.

I have only played King of Tokyo and Pandemic The Cure, and think both are alright. Have a feeling this one will have less luck, though.

You will probably like it a lot then :)

Much more game to it than KoT, I haven't played the Pandemic dice game.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I've got a vassal module for Imperial Assault's campaign and I'm looking to get a group of 4 players to run through it with, a mission or two each week at some predetermined time over Vassal+Skype. I'm in a pretty weird timezone nowadays, but that's never stopped me from terrible ideas before, so if anyone's interested PM me and I'll see what I can figure out.

Mage Knight #3 is probably coming up in the next couple weeks unless I can find a decent scan of Eldritch Horror Antarctica.

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013

Bubble-T posted:

You will probably like it a lot then :)

Much more game to it than KoT, I haven't played the Pandemic dice game.

King of Tokyo is more of a filler I will join in on. Fun, but not really something I look forward to playing.

Texibus
May 18, 2008

lordsummerisle posted:

Played it once and we had a good time with it. If you've never played race for the galaxy before the round voting is a bit confusing but once people get the hang of the voting and the dice powers you're pretty much off and running. The best thing you can do is grab a stick, play a round, and tap people on the hands when they make a mistake.

Disclosure: My bros love dice.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

lordsummerisle posted:

You're in for a treat. My only complaint right now is that the game tends to lead towards very little social interaction hahaha. I mean most of us are constantly evaluating everyone's board state, but each game tends to be no talking except "Ya'll done? Reveal?" That said, after every single game we have tons of discussion about strategy, what worked, what didn't, etc.
The various ways you can mitigate the dice rolls is reaaaaally fun in my mind. I honestly don't think I've ever played a game where dice were so awesome.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, Roll for the Galaxy is silky smooth. I also like the tactility of playing around with the little dice and bag of tiles :3:

quote:

I mean most of us are constantly evaluating everyone's board state, but each game tends to be no talking except "Ya'll done? Reveal?"

You solve that by using your cups to signal that you are done, we slam ours down in front of our screens triumphantly. No need for anyone to open their stupid mouths! :smuggo:

Oh wait you wanted to talk to these people.. ?

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 22, 2015

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Anyone get Forge War? It looks pretty cool, but the playtime kind of scares me

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.
Just to chip in on Roll for the Galaxy, I've played it twice at my local club and enjoyed it both times. I feel it gives you a bit more direction than Race does, and I love how tactile it is with the multi-coloured dice and chunky tiles. It keeps dropping on and off my wishlist, I really want it because I love the theme, gameplay and because its one of the few sci-fi games I've played that I really like, but something just keeps stopping me from buying it and I'm not sure what. I'll probably end up buying it when I next get that sudden, irresistable urge to buy a new game. How does it play with 2?

Zveroboy fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 22, 2015

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Bubble-T posted:

For those interested in game design talk, there's an interesting discussion about Roll for the Galaxy going on right now:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1338992/quick-and-dirty-review-some-negatives-after-96-pla

The thread author is a very experienced RftG player with some reasonable comments, both designers are responding. Wei-Hwa goes fairly deep in to the meat of the game's design and why he made certain decisions.

I think the most amusing takeaway is Tom (correctly) stating that you really need high level competitive play with a large variety of players to settle it, which is the one thing Roll is almost entirely unsuited for. You'd need one judge for every player in the tournament. I think the only solution is to make a solid online implementation.

Really interesting read.
The funny takeaway is that the OP says after 130 plays he is shelving the game because it is too imbalanced.
One hundred and thirty plays.
Of course most of his stuff sounds like a group becoming static in their strategy and then burnt out. But who knows, maybe if I get to one hundred and god drat thirty plays of RollFTG I'll experience what he is too.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Zveroboy posted:

Just to chip in on Roll for the Galaxy, I've played it twice at my local club and enjoyed it both times. I feel it gives you a bit more direction than Race does, and I love how tactile it is with the multi-coloured dice and chunky tiles. It keeps dropping on and off my wishlist, I really want it because I love the theme, gameplay and because its one of the few sci-fi games I've played that I really like, but something just keeps stopping me from buying it and I'm not sure what.

The time I played, I kind of felt directionless and didn't have much to do but explore to get my dice back. :shrug:

It also got me wanting to play Race again, but nobody wants to because it's old.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Bottom Liner posted:

If she likes cyberpunk then Netrunner is a solid choice. It's pretty easy to get immersed in the lore. However, LotR is good if you want a coop experience. I've heard Star Wars has easier deckbhilding decisions; but, some people might want more decisions in that. You could check out your local store and see if they have demo units of the games and try them out.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
That is insane, I'd probably frame a game or cast it in bronze if my group got 130 plays of game in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Roll was getting a mixed response in here when it first came out, but it's good to see opinions are shifting a bit. My group really likes it. It does share quite a bit of DNA with Race, but I feel like it's definitely more important to try to get reads on your opponents. I mean, you need to in Race, but switching the Produce and Consume phases really makes the endgame fly.

ChiTownEddie posted:

Really interesting read.
The funny takeaway is that the OP says after 130 plays he is shelving the game because it is too imbalanced.
One hundred and thirty plays.
Of course most of his stuff sounds like a group becoming static in their strategy and then burnt out. But who knows, maybe if I get to one hundred and god drat thirty plays of RollFTG I'll experience what he is too.

If I play a game more than 5 times it's a winner, much less being bored of it at 130, goddamn.