Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Beat the first Lost Realm quest. Really fun. I ended up going two handed, partly because I made two decks that I intend to be as my "First Play of a Quest" decks. They performed well in this limited test :)

E: OMG ENT HERO. https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/4/13/a-call-to-arms-lotr/

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

OMG indeed. I like his ability representing the Rage of the Ents. Might have preferred some kind of downside like Beorn, but this is cool. The new Theoden is also awesome. He'll slot really nicely into more decks then the previous version. Might have been neat to have him have lower stats, representing old Theodan or something. Again, still very cool!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Finally got the chance to play LotR a little, got through the 2nd core set scenario with just the pre-con decks. Was pretty touch and go for a bit but not too bad with 4 players.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 14, 2015

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Methinks we need a specific LOTR thread.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Baron Porkface posted:

Methinks we need a specific LOTR thread.

This thread doesn't move enough for a dedicated LOTR thread. I mean really, the only LCGs that aren't covered in another thread are Conquest and LOTR (and I guess COC but who plays that?).

When was Game of Thrones being rebooted?

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

GrandpaPants posted:

This thread doesn't move enough for a dedicated LOTR thread. I mean really, the only LCGs that aren't covered in another thread are Conquest and LOTR (and I guess COC but who plays that?).

When was Game of Thrones being rebooted?

Gen Con.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

mongol posted:

Gen Con.

I've been waiting since 2012 for GoT to be rebooted. I'm excited.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Really surprised they went with gencon instead of right now, what with the premiere

Do a big splash at gencon but surely the buzz is right now?

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

MisterShine posted:

Really surprised they went with gencon instead of right now, what with the premiere

Do a big splash at gencon but surely the buzz is right now?

I doubt they're going to rope in a huge swath of the show crowd. Also they've releases a lot(all?) of other LCGs at GenCon

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
I figure they want to take their time and do it right, as they're rebooting their most oldest LCG and angering a good number of people. I know someone who went to GAMA and played a demo of it, so they're fairly far along, at least.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Taran_Wanderer posted:

I figure they want to take their time and do it right, as they're rebooting their most oldest LCG and angering a good number of people. I know someone who went to GAMA and played a demo of it, so they're fairly far along, at least.

The only people that are angry are those that care more about the sunk cost than the health of the game.
There are so many mechanics in the LCG that are holdovers from the CCG, and the crazy rulings like Moribund are a barrier to entry (let alone the insane investment to be competitive). Rebooting AGoT is the best thing they could possibly do for the longevity of the game.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Which is all the more reason to take their time and get it right.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I spent time doing some Local OCTGN with LOTR. Haven't used it for a while and my computer started hating the local server host since the last time I used it. Got it working eventually. Made the suggested decks on the back of the Road Darkens, and prepared to start a campaign. I didn't get very far. My plans all fell apart pretty eraly when the first rider got sent back to the staging area when I was going to kill it, then I drew out more Riders from treacheries and straight out draws. I think I even got the burden where everything engages the first player. So I got stomped in 3 or 4 rounds.

Using the recommended Black Riders deck never seems to have these problems.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What's the best octgn guide? My eyes glaze over when i try to read one.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Baron Porkface posted:

My buddy Mitch (COTR/The Tenth Nazgul) made a guide a while back, but there has been a lot of changes to the program since then. I'm planning to make an updated guide on my blog.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Baron Porkface posted:

Open options. Look at key bindings. That's about it

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

goodness posted:

Open options. Look at key bindings. That's about it

I know that smart piloting of OCTGN can make it a lot more pleasant.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Baron Porkface posted:

I know that smart piloting of OCTGN can make it a lot more pleasant.

That's what all the hot keys are for. Are you just looking for a video to see how people play on it? It's not going to be smooth for your first couple games at least while you get used to it. Will always be a pale comparison of actually playing with cards.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
I've also found, at least with the Star Wars and Netrunner, that the right-click menu contains lots of commands that you might not need all of the time. So if you're not sure how to do something, it's usually in there somewhere.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

goodness posted:

Will always be a pale comparison of actually playing with cards.

Elaborate please.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Holding cards in your hands feels much better than clicking a mouse.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

You can't slap down a click with a smug look on your face

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Man it sure is taking them loving forever to reprint Steward's Fear

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Finally got around to teaching some people how to play LOTR. We played through the core scenarios with a Sam/Merry/Pippin Hobbit deck and a Eowyn/Dunhere/Hama Rohan deck. Dunhere proved to be the star, destroying nearly all the enemies in the staging area before they could do anything (hooray for Spear of the Mark!) in the first two scenarios. Against Escape from Dol Guldor, the decks did not fair so well, and we gave up after two attempts. I'll have to go back to the drawing board and figure out something different, as I think the Hobbits were too fragile for the scenario. Later, I threw together a quick Dwarf deck with Dain/Thorin/Ori and played Journey Through the Anduin and taught two new people. A little rough going, but we managed to prevail in the end. Will have to tweak things a bit. Maybe I'll proxy a few more cards. I've got a ton of scenarios, so we'll try something different next time. I'd really like to finally get through Over Hill and Under Hill and The Black Riders.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I have fallen in love with Warhammer 40k Conquest, but I've come to the realization that it's a lot less popular than most of the other LCGs. What's the likelihood that FFG would just stop updating it?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I have fallen in love with Warhammer 40k Conquest, but I've come to the realization that it's a lot less popular than most of the other LCGs. What's the likelihood that FFG would just stop updating it?

Isn't it only less popular than Netrunner or am I misremembering stuff?

And so far they've only ended Warhammer: Invasion in their LCG line. Game of Thrones is ending soon, but is restarting again right after.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Hiro Protagonist posted:

They wouldn't just stop; they'd let everyone know way ahead of time that they were going to stop production after any already announced expansions, like they did with Game of Thrones.

Also in terms of popularity I'd say that while Netrunner is clearly more popular, Conquest is about on the same level as LotR LCG and that's been going strong for a long while now.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Additionally, while CoC seems to be the least popular of their LCGs, they're still updating it, though they switched to doing deluxe expansions all the time instead of smaller packs. Unless GW wants them to, I'm sure FFG won't be ending Conquest anytime soon.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Does FFG make a lcg that doesn't require a bunch of chits and bullshit and is playable with just cards?

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

signalnoise posted:

Does FFG make a lcg that doesn't require a bunch of chits and bullshit and is playable with just cards?

Pretty much every chit in FFG LCGs could be replaced with a container of D6s. If you can't be bothered to bring even that with your deck, good luck playing just about any card game ever.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Our meta is Netrunner then conquest and I've never seen lotr or got

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Just did The Seventh Level in the Khazad Dum expansion. Was running Frodo, Good Glorfindel, and Watcher Aragorn. Thought my nut opening hand of Fast Hitch, Asfaloth, and Light would be enough to cruise even with no allies in it, but then I drew basically nothing for the first 5 turns of the game (got 2 more Lights and another Asfaloth), but the first real card I drew was Arwen so that was nice. Fought through an Orc Horn Blower turning over 2 Goblins so that I'd be engaged by 3 enemies on one turn, and then when I was about finish stage 1 a Cave-Troll appeared.

I needed exactly Gandalf in 1 or maybe 2 turns or I had no chance on the quest, but luckily he was the top card of the deck. Still, had to fight through the Troll's trample and manage to get the damage on it through its 4 defense, so, well, Arwen had to get squashed by the troll. After that it was smooth sailing, but I definitely felt more oppressed than the quest's 3 difficulty would indicate, but it was a real fun time.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

signalnoise posted:

In GoT, you need to keep track of 2 numbers: How much power you have, and how much gold you have. This is solved with 15 tokens for power (the amount you need to win) and like 8-10 gold. You will most likely never need more than that. All counters used in the game are either straight up power, or gold.

God I can't wait for it to get rebooted.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I got my order of Conflict at the Carrock and Journey to Rhosgobel in the post over the weekend. Ended up taking the trolls on with a Gimli/Frodo/Eowyn combo which I was not expecting to do very well with. Instead it turned into a protracted stall while I got the resources together for Grimbeorn and got enough willpower on the table to cope with the 2nd part of the quest. All in all it was way more fun to play a control style deck than I thought it would be. Now it's time to go for it with my Leadership/Lore deck. I don't expect this to go anywhere near as well.

e: Goddam Hill Trolls :gonk:

Rarity fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Apr 21, 2015

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

mongol posted:

My buddy Mitch (COTR/The Tenth Nazgul) made a guide a while back, but there has been a lot of changes to the program since then. I'm planning to make an updated guide on my blog.

As promised, I have my tutorial up now.

http://youtu.be/WH7L92bm9WY

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Conquest's new, give it time. I hear it's more popular than Netrunner was at this stage of its life, and certainly bigger than the non-Netrunner LCGs. There's also probably going to be a big influx of new Conquest players once the Tyranids come out.

That said, even if it were quite unpopular, I'd be quite surprised if FFG stopped updating it anytime soon - they still make new content for Cthulhu, which almost nobody plays!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Carteret posted:

In GoT, you need to keep track of 2 numbers: How much power you have, and how much gold you have. This is solved with 15 tokens for power (the amount you need to win) and like 8-10 gold. You will most likely never need more than that. All counters used in the game are either straight up power, or gold.

God I can't wait for it to get rebooted.

I can deal with that I suppose. I am just tired of opening up the box and assembling a double-track dial and a bunch of other stuff. Thanks.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
In LotR can you attack with 0 characters? Had a situation arise where a player killed a monster, then wanted to contribute ranged damage to another player who had only exhausted units.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

PJOmega posted:

In LotR can you attack with 0 characters? Had a situation arise where a player killed a monster, then wanted to contribute ranged damage to another player who had only exhausted units.

Ranged characters can attack other players's enemies during their owner's turn so as long as it was still that player's turn it should have been fine :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Does Gandalf's Staff allow you to discard a shadow card after it has been revealed so as to cancel it, or do you have to discard before the reveal?

In related news, I managed to beat the first of the black Riders scenarios using the Road Darkens suggested decks. The above question doesn't affect the outcome, since I only really ever had one rider at a time. Just wondering for if it ever comes up.