Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

HiveCommander posted:

Loving the alternative wargaming chat. I hear a lot of good things about DropzOwn Commander and I want to like it, but I can't seem to bring myself to play smaller-scale stuff. How do you people find it, to paint models that small?

Its loving liberating, that's what it is. I'm crazy autistic for conversions. At 15mm I can't do much, which means I spend more time painting.

Even an advanced paint job takes less effort and time due to model size. More importantly, you get to focus on painting the other cool stuff- terrain. I expect to paint up an entire 3500 point OwnZone army in the time it takes me to do a rhino or a squad of 10 marines.

Granted I take a long rear end time to paint models, but its comparable for me- about 50 bulbasaur hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

moths posted:

Holy poo poo, Prince Xizor's in Xwang! I thought the Disney people purged him from the EU.

The way I think it works is that a lot of EU stuff is considered "Legends" i.e. it's no longer 100% official A-grade canon approved by Saint George himself, but it also isn't in the realm of "bury it under a rock and pretend it never, ever, ever existed."

What this means is that you can pretty much forget about ever seeing, say, Prince Xizor in some forward-going Star Wars movie or something and if someone asks Disney "hey is this canon?" the answer is no, but someone like FFG is free to go to Disney and say "hey can we use this for our plastic spaceships game?" and Disney gets to go "eh sure, why not." Xizor's in X-Wang, as is Guri and DASH MOTHERFUCKING RENDAR WOO (and in fact Dash in his ship is pretty loving good, you get to mount Cannons upgrades on the Outrider's 360-degree turret so you can trash people with a heavy laser cannon all the time).

I mean a lot of stuff in X-Wang is "expanded universe" from a technical standpoint, IG-88 isn't even named on screen and his ship never shows up in the movie either unlike Boba Fett's but it's in the game anyway, Z-95 Headhunters aren't in any of the original trilogy, TIE Phantoms and Defenders are from a PC game, etc.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

Leperflesh posted:

For those Americans unfamiliar with the UK system: "College" is 2 years of school you do from age 16 to 18, typically. It is often vocational. "University" is then 2(?)-4 years of school you do after you finish college, typically pursuing a professional or academic degree.

So ro5s is telling us that Brits now have to pay £18k for vocational school to learn how to weld, or be a hairdresser, or a dental assistant. Or, to prep for a university degree.

In America, we get free school to the age of 18 (High School), but this education is rarely vocational and does not really qualify anyone for anything (although not having a high school diploma can be a major obstacle to getting any kind of reasonable job). But then, "college" and "university" are 2-4 years costing anywhere from a couple grand a semester for community college classes to $80k+ a year for a private ivy-league school.

Higher education in the US is still, on average, far more expensive than in the UK.

Not quite. College is still free. Universities charge fees. All other EU countries charge very low (<£1000) fees, and most are free. It's cheaper to study at university abroad now than it is to go to uni in England.

Note I said England. Despite living under the same parliament, Scotland stuck a big two middle fingers up to the Tories and abolished tuition fees.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Daedleh posted:

Not quite. College is still free. Universities charge fees. All other EU countries charge very low (<£1000) fees, and most are free. It's cheaper to study at university abroad now than it is to go to uni in England.

Note I said England. Despite living under the same parliament, Scotland stuck a big two middle fingers up to the Tories and abolished tuition fees.

A lot of people are angry about this... at Scotland and the bits of the government that aren't the Tories.

Renfield posted:

I paid 3.5k for a Ton of bankrupt stock, when a model shop in Tonbridge went under, which we agreed would be sold though there shop, giving me half - except they never gave me half - they made One payment of just over £100 to the business bank account I set up.

We where planning on going into partnership, for new, larger premises, that they couldn't afford to do on there own, as they had stock but not cash.

I assume you've sued them for the stock you purchased before you agreed to any partnership?

wizardstick
Apr 27, 2013
Re UK University fees

A) Labour were the government who did the first two tuition fee raises so don't think it's a Tory only policy. Why do people keep blaming the Conservatives beyond general ignorance or an inability to see beyond the simplest political narrative?

B) Unless you are earning a decent amount, the student loans system covers the entirety of tuition costs. Yes they are stingy with living costs and that's when someone may need help.

I don't understand people being all 'Fees are £9000 OMG, can't afford it'...the entirety of that gets covered by the student loans and hey you don't start paying it back till you are earning over £20k a year or whatever, plus they probably write it off after 20 years nonpayment and if you move abroad they are hosed tracking you down unless you tell them.

So yeah, sorry rant from someone who has no intention of ever paying that poo poo back.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

moths posted:

Holy poo poo, Prince Xizor's in Xwang! I thought the Disney people purged him from the EU.

Nah, they know their clients. Saying loudly that they hate the prequels while singing the praises of even the worst crap the EU spawned is a pretty widespread cognitive dissonance among Star Wars fans.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

The Supreme Court posted:

A lot of people are angry about this... at Scotland and the bits of the government that aren't the Tories.

I assume you've sued them for the stock you purchased before you agreed to any partnership?

No, the first bit was done very quickly as a crisis before the administrator sold it to anyone else, and was done with no paperwork- yes I know.

I got legal advice before signing anything, which is why I'm only out the 3.5k, not my entire life savings.
There con-artists, so there's very little paperwork to prove anything- suing would be expensive and probably futile - I don't normally post/talk about it but was arguing with a head-in-the-sand tory on facebook last night, so was rather drunk.

The shop is going under slowly anyway, with less and less Gaming stuff and more Railway every month- for no good reason they refuse to stock Warmachine or Malifeaux and it's not uncommon for people to walk in, ask about those and then walk out again (or so I'm told - I don't go there myself).

Re: Uni Fees
The Tories changed it from inflation only to a commercial rate, and it's going to cost the country more in the long run whilst giving Universities less money overall.
Having that hang over you is going to affect you're chances of ever owning a property, and from my point of view as a taxpayer, it's a time bomb that's going to cost a Ton when this generation reach 55 and stop paying the loans back.
But that's what the UKMT in DandD is for !

Renfield fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Apr 22, 2015

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

Moola posted:

I dont get this, I think its just a Games thing

you should be able to talk about stuff about the hobby you dont like as well as the stuff you do like

POSITIVE TALK ONLY leads to lovely echo chambers

The problem is you never talk about stuff about the hobby you like, unless it's x-wang, and that's not the x-wang thread. Discussion is one thing, three posts in a row about x-wang, geedubs screwing everyone's otiose jewels, and *fart*, isn't contributing except to fuel the rage. Talk about cool alternative models you could use for the 40k range that are cheaper, talk about what you like about the setting and how you could use ruleset x to represent that, talk about how some fiction or a fan site or modeling project was cool, talk about how you could use BFG ships in x-wang. Maybe even take off the hate glasses and say one or two of their new releases look cool but there's no way in hell you're paying that much money for them. Or just stay in the hate thread If all you want to do is poo poo on things.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Renfield posted:

Re: Uni Fees
The Tories changed it from inflation only to a commercial rate, and it's going to cost the country more in the long run whilst giving Universities less money overall.
Having that hang over you is going to affect you're chances of ever owning a property, and from my point of view as a taxpayer, it's a time bomb that's going to cost a Ton when this generation reach 55 and stop paying the loans back.
But that's what the UKMT in DandD is for !

Had a mate in uni who by the end of it, had clocked up about 28 grand in uni fees!

I know its nothing compared to the states but its shocking to see it students piled with so much debt.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Springfield Fatts posted:

X Wang / Armado: I'm interested in Armado, but there was an Xwang tournament going on at my LGS last week and jesus they had to keep track of a lot of little cardboard tokens and cards and poo poo to play a game. Sounds annoyingly complex, but I don't want to dismiss without trying a game.

Token tracking is a legitimate complaint they have addressed with Armada, instead of having to track how many shields a section has with tokens, each side of the base has a dial built in for showing how many shields are left. Doing stuff like transferring shields from one section to another is as easy as moving a dial. Squadrons have a health indicator and and activation indicator built into their bases as well, so you spend less time fiddling with tokens. There is still stuff to track and manage, but a lot of the makework is gone.

You can see the dials on the base here:

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
It always makes me sick to my stomach educational fees get like that. It is literally selling yourself into financial servitude and the long term benefits may very likely not even be worth it. For a young person they will never be able to not work because that debt will be there. At least the price isn't like here in the states where "free market" education simultaneously has removed collage while pushing high cost degrees for ANYTHING in university.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Doctor Borris posted:

It always makes me sick to my stomach educational fees get like that. It is literally selling yourself into financial servitude and the long term benefits may very likely not even be worth it. For a young person they will never be able to not work because that debt will be there. At least the price isn't like here in the states where "free market" education simultaneously has removed collage while pushing high cost degrees for ANYTHING in university.

This is the weirdest de-rail in a thread of weird de-rails.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bzWSJG93P8

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

For those Americans unfamiliar with the UK system: "College" is 2 years of school you do from age 16 to 18, typically. It is often vocational. "University" is then 2(?)-4 years of school you do after you finish college, typically pursuing a professional or academic degree.

So ro5s is telling us that Brits now have to pay £18k for vocational school to learn how to weld, or be a hairdresser, or a dental assistant. Or, to prep for a university degree.

In America, we get free school to the age of 18 (High School), but this education is rarely vocational and does not really qualify anyone for anything (although not having a high school diploma can be a major obstacle to getting any kind of reasonable job). But then, "college" and "university" are 2-4 years costing anywhere from a couple grand a semester for community college classes to $80k+ a year for a private ivy-league school.

Higher education in the US is still, on average, far more expensive than in the UK.

To be fair to the US our vocational schools are usually 2-4 year affairs that charge around 4.5k in tuition a year. US college is overpriced but community college and vocational schools are well within reach.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

:3:

Stupid question time, does armada play on the same 3' x 3' space X-wing does?...

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

enri posted:

:3:

Stupid question time, does armada play on the same 3' x 3' space X-wing does?...

6x3, with a 4x3 deployment area. But they suggest 3x3 for 180 point games which is what you play with the core set.

I will take the opportunity to add that when you build your fleet you have to include three objective cards, one from each of the three categories. Whoever comes to the table with the least points gets to choose who the first player is. The first player has to pick one of the second players objective cards to play.

These range from the second player keeping a ship and some squadrons off the map and getting to 'jump' them into the middle sometime after turn 2, to having a minefield that the second player can deploy, an elected ship on each side getting extra shots, a space station to fight over, or space buoys to race for and capture and more.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Radish posted:

Are there rules for suicide bombing your dudes into the bridges of Star Destroyers?

No, but there are ramming rules, and ramming ignores shields so ramming a Corvette into a Star Destroyer for that final point of hull damage is a legit tactic (while singing "Dodanna.." to the tune of Rosanna by Toto).

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Apr 22, 2015

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Are there rules for suicide bombing your dudes into the bridges of Star Destroyers?

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Phrosphor posted:

6x3, with a 4x3 deployment area. But they suggest 3x3 for 180 point games which is what you play with the core set.

cool, thanks :) I'm tempted but the cost of getting in is quite high compared to x-wing (I'm going to politely ignore how much I've spent on x-wing over the past few years...)

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I gotta admit on a personal aesthetic level I would rather play Armada if only to rehash my BFG days, but I'm giving xwang a shot to get the basics and see if all the buzz is accurate.

England chatte: so is "six form" those two years before university?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Yes, if you are attending a unit attached to a school, if you have left a school and are doing the work in a different organization, its collage.

As a rule of thumb Collage for us is any non-school, non-unversity education - often adults go to collage to brush up on things later in life, or teens going for vocational training (plumber, builder, ect.), Sixth Form is more for the traditional teaching (Maths, English, Sciences ect.)

Of course, these are not hard and fast rules.

Also, people should play more Dropzone commander, its awesome and Hawk are awesome.
I also just got Armada and just had a quick solo game to get my head around the rules, and it seems to play well.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Springfield Fatts posted:

England chatte: so is "six form" those two years before university?

Yeah. It used to be that the normal, mandatory 'high school' years were called 1st form to 5th form, at the end of which you get GCSEs which are the most basic qualification. After that you can do 2 optional years in 6th form, after which you get A-levels and possibly move on to University. 6th form is also sometimes called college. 1st-5th form is now referred to as years 7-11, but the 6th form name has stuck around.

On topic chat: GW are bad pee pee doo doo

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Iceclaw posted:

Nah, they know their clients. Saying loudly that they hate the prequels while singing the praises of even the worst crap the EU spawned is a pretty widespread cognitive dissonance among Star Wars fans.

Yeah, this has always been funny to me too. I don't care here cuz we don't have to put up with bad stories about "even more brilliant admirals or even more sinister Jedi or more powerful super weapons." Just the cool looking ships...for the most part.

I readily admit that I love the wraith squadron portion of the x-wing books but that's cuz it's a campy top gun in space. The others took themselves too seriously and forgot the OT is buck Rogers.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I'm pretty certain that, if you find the rules and cards somewhere, you can buy the Imperial Fighters expansion, Rebel Fighters expansion and the upcoming Rogues and Villains expansion, and play reduced scale X-Wing like using 15mm or 6mm mans to play Kings of War.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Business Gorillas posted:

quote:

The same reason people buy Coach products, or pay for bottle service, or go to law school. I'd bet at least a handful of the people who bought that LE Codex are going to pick up a gold-plated Apple Watch.

Holy poo poo :lol:

edit: I fell for a good troll post, didn't I? Poe's Law is alive and well in the bad thread :sigh:

Couple pages late but literally nobody in that thread thinks that the LE Eldar Codex is a good buy, and there are only like two people (Phyresis and LordAba) who think or are pretending that Codex Craftworlds Eldar isn't the worst thing to happen to the game since the Dreadknight model.

Edit: and anyone who spends money on any of the aspirational trash I listed in the post Business Gorillas quoted is at best a sucker and more likely a loving moron.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 22, 2015

FagtasticalMondays
Oct 10, 2013

So everyone over there was just trolling and we are the fools for falling for the clever ruse.

Another :master: by the puppet masters then.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I've been considering getting back into 40K with this release, and by "getting back into 40K" I mean "using the dickest list I possibly can and giving all the local 40K players the D" because I guess I could do some stupid bullshit with allied Dark Eldar? And something like put wraithguard with an archon in a raider that can deepstrike without scattering and then fire all my big fat D templates out of the raider?

I won't do it because it'd be stupidly expensive money-wise and also involve giving GW money. I suppose I could ebay it but :effort:

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

FagtasticalMondays posted:

So everyone over there was just trolling and we are the fools for falling for the clever ruse.

Another :master: by the puppet masters then.

who is "everyone"? if it's Bulbasaur yeah he's trolling, Bulbasaurs hilarious.

FagtasticalMondays
Oct 10, 2013

Sulecrist posted:

who is "everyone"? if it's Bulbasaur yeah he's trolling, Bulbasaurs hilarious.

Bulbasaur is a thread unto himself.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Whats the deal with this Dreadknight model?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It's a prototype powerloader from the Aliens TM franchise.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

It's a mama marine, complete with papoose

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

It's a mech suit that totally forgot to put armor over the pilot. It'd be cool if it had an actual enclosure, but as is it's dumb.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Esser-Z posted:

It's a mech suit that totally forgot to put armor over the pilot. It'd be cool if it had an actual enclosure, but as is it's dumb.

No, it actually wouldn't.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ignite Memories posted:

It's a mama marine, complete with papoose

I don't like this revision of how new space marines are made. I enjoyed the stories about old men pumping young bloods with geneseed.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

thegodofchuck posted:

The problem is you never talk about stuff about the hobby you like, unless it's x-wang, and that's not the x-wang thread. Discussion is one thing, three posts in a row about x-wang, geedubs screwing everyone's otiose jewels, and *fart*, isn't contributing except to fuel the rage. Talk about cool alternative models you could use for the 40k range that are cheaper, talk about what you like about the setting and how you could use ruleset x to represent that, talk about how some fiction or a fan site or modeling project was cool, talk about how you could use BFG ships in x-wang. Maybe even take off the hate glasses and say one or two of their new releases look cool but there's no way in hell you're paying that much money for them. Or just stay in the hate thread If all you want to do is poo poo on things.

The issue is that every time alternate models or rule systems are brought up they are shouted down as being terrible and not as good as GW. The blind love and obedience of GW fanboys in unassailable, so we are reduced to making GBS threads on things.

Plus its fun.

*farts*

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Sulecrist posted:

No, it actually wouldn't.

I DIG GIANT ROBOTS

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Well, there's always gunpla. They have movable gears!

As for 40k, I choose to play it with infinity. That's what 40k was originally, anyway. I have yet to look into napoleonic rulesets for the grand crusade version of 40k.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

^^^^^
I think if you want to do grand Napoleonic vision 40k you might get away with just scaling up the Epic rules, or maybe Flames of War or something. Haven't tried it. Giant 28mm games are a mess.

Indolent Bastard posted:

The issue is that every time alternate models or rule systems are brought up they are shouted down as being terrible and not as good as GW. The blind love and obedience of GW fanboys in unassailable, so we are reduced to making GBS threads on things.

Plus its fun.

*farts*

I have the opposite problem w/r/t better rules; I talk about WMH's superiority a ton and nobody ever even replies. I guess if the alternate ruleset is 30k then AbusePuppy gets bent out of shape.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 22, 2015

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Indolent Bastard posted:

Yeah, that's what I don't get. 40K can be a very fun game, in the same way that a cheesy low budget horror or action movie can be a fun movie, but you can't really say that either 40K or a movie like that is good. Yet people will legitimately argue that 40K is the apogee of miniature wargame rulesets. Usually they do this without ever have actually played anything that wasn't a GW game, but it gets into this bizarre cycle where they're like "40K is the best!" Well, have you ever played anything other than 40K? "No, I have not, because it's not as good as 40K, because 40K is the best!"

:psyduck:

I'm not necessarily talking about the bad thread, more 40K fans on the internet in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

FrostyPox posted:

Yeah, that's what I don't get. 40K can be a very fun game, in the same way that a cheesy low budget horror or action movie can be a fun movie, but you can't really say that either 40K or a movie like that is good. Yet people will legitimately argue that 40K is the apogee of miniature wargame rulesets. Usually they do this without ever have actually played anything that wasn't a GW game, but it gets into this bizarre cycle where they're like "40K is the best!" Well, have you ever played anything other than 40K? "No, I have not, because it's not as good as 40K, because 40K is the best!"

:psyduck:

I'm not necessarily talking about the bad thread, more 40K fans on the internet in general.

Oh yeah that's 100% true. The Bad Thread is the only pro-40k message board I read. Most 40k fans are like that IRL, too.

• Locked thread