Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big sexy
Apr 7, 2015

by XyloJW
:iamafag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooker tops
Apr 7, 2015

by Ralp

big sexy
Apr 7, 2015

by XyloJW

scoob stallion
Apr 7, 2015

by Ralp

socrates chugwolf
Apr 7, 2015

by Ralp

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Readblood posted:

Any building that has a 2pm boob shadow is awesome.

poo poo I completely forgot about that :quagmire:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I'm trying to identify mid-sized US cities with comparatively large downtown historic districts, particularly those blessed with lots of brick architecture from the late 1800s to early 1900s.

Any advice on how to research that? Architecture and urban planning's outside my wheelhouse so I have no sense of what the resources are.

Also, can any architecture buffs summarize, or recommend a documentary about, what the hell was up with Urban Renewal? I've been looking at historical photos of my city this afternoon and those crazy people clawed the downtown's guts out. They did poo poo like tear down beautiful chicago style corner buildings to put in 1-story banks with off-street parking.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Accretionist posted:

I'm trying to identify mid-sized US cities with comparatively large downtown historic districts, particularly those blessed with lots of brick architecture from the late 1800s to early 1900s.

Any advice on how to research that? Architecture and urban planning's outside my wheelhouse so I have no sense of what the resources are.

Also, can any architecture buffs summarize, or recommend a documentary about, what the hell was up with Urban Renewal? I've been looking at historical photos of my city this afternoon and those crazy people clawed the downtown's guts out. They did poo poo like tear down beautiful chicago style corner buildings to put in 1-story banks with off-street parking.

Many mid sized cities have good historic warehouse districts adjacent to downtown like St. Louis and also Milwaukee. There are others but I am not familiar with them. The National Trust for Historic Preservation is probably the best source for information. Some of their staff are on an advocacy tour giving lectures about preservation issues and to educate people about saving the Historic Tax Credit. I went to see Stephanie Meeks speak last month and the information she presented about the economic value of preservation is amazing. Go and see her if you can.

I did a recent lecture on the history of Milwaukee's downtown development and losses of historic buildings. Milwaukee still has a pretty good stock of historic buildings that were not torn down. Through newspaper articles and 1950's-1960's consultant reports on urban renewal I found several issues which affected many cities throughout the US. Downtown districts suffered three development roadblocks which caused many problems in the 1950s. Prohibition had an effect on many cities that depended on the brewing industry, the Great Depression stopped development in the late 1920's thru the mid 1930's, and World War II had government restrictions on new construction for the duration of the conflict. Post war development moved away from city centers to outlying areas and developed in response to greater reliance on cars. CBD areas suffered as a result of all these issues and by 1954, Congress enacted the Housing Act to fund clearance of blighted areas and spur housing development. Cities used these funds to clear large areas of "BLIGHT". Then interstate highway development came along and cities planned for downtown highway loops which also had a hand in clearing out more "blighted" areas.

In Milwaukee, tax loopholes were used by property owners to clear old, poorly kept downtown buildings instead of investing money in their repairs and built surface parking lots which were cheap cash cows. There really has to be local codes and tax benefits to preserve not only older buildings but also the urban fabric of neighborhoods where these buildings exist. If you clear them all for parking lots, you not only lose valuable tax base but you lose a vitality which otherwise would draw people to an area. The result is a deserted area which developers don't want to touch because it is deserted. It is a Catch-22.

Neutrino fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Apr 10, 2015

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I have something to share.

Although one of the most well-known landmarks of Vienna, St. Stephens Chapel - or as it's known under it's original name, the Stefansdom - has a lot of medieval tomfoolery in architecture behind it's back. It features baroque, romanesque and gothic architecture, was built on top of the ruins of two churches, burnt down, was reconstructed again and again, survived both World Wars and more. The most recognizable feature of the chapel is the asymmetry of the north and south tower, one a tall, gothic structure and the one one being only a fraction of it's counterpart.. The building was supposed to be symmetrical, but due to Gothic curches running out of style, they decided to halt construction and leave the second tower as is and fitted it with a tiny Renaissance cap.
The building is actually really nice, just don't be disappointed by the eternal construction sites around it when you actually check it out. The church is eternally being renovated and some parts it are always bound to be covered with sheets replicating the facade of the chapel.
Still, back in 2008 some higher ups felt that it was necessary to take the chapel's defining flaw and remove it by finishing the second tower. And instead of asking the city of Vienna if they even wanted that, they just launched a secret project hiring some would-be disruptors to come up with the worst designs possible. I don't actually know if they've publicized more of their designs, but this one was featured in a short documentary on the plans:

This poo poo was referred to as an "Anti-Tower". Instead of going up to get closer to heaven, an idiot hipster waste of taxpayer money thought, I'll design a structure that goes DOWN to reach hell! They argued it's supposed to invoke transcendence and an exploration of what a church is supposed to mean, but I just hope this project in someone's CV just means they'll never get another job in architecture ever again.
Thank god none of this was ever made. It could have been investors pulling out, the fact that everyone who knows about the church hated it or because the church is already eating up so much money for renovation, but drat am I glad modern architects lost this one.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
Vienna is a very scenic city.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
When I went to vienna I walked into the Stefansdom during a full requim mass and it was one of the most awe inspiring things I have ever experienced.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
A friend and I chatted up two punk girls on the benches in front of the Dom and smoked it up under a bridge somewhere with them :D That's my Stephansdom story!

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

this never got any love but it really should be on the OP

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Default Settings posted:

Vienna is a very scenic city.

Flackturms are awesome. Not like Vienna had a choice anyway, thing is way to sturdy to demolish for a reasonable cost.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

padijun posted:

this never got any love but it really should be on the OP

yeah it should be in the OP i agree

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Neutrino posted:

Many mid sized cities have good historic warehouse districts adjacent to downtown like St. Louis and also Milwaukee. There are others but I am not familiar with them. The National Trust for Historic Preservation is probably the best source for information. Some of their staff are on an advocacy tour giving lectures about preservation issues and to educate people about saving the Historic Tax Credit. I went to see Stephanie Meeks speak last month and the information she presented about the economic value of preservation is amazing. Go and see her if you can.

I did a recent lecture on the history of Milwaukee's downtown development and losses of historic buildings. Milwaukee still has a pretty good stock of historic buildings that were not torn down. Through newspaper articles and 1950's-1960's consultant reports on urban renewal I found several issues which affected many cities throughout the US. Downtown districts suffered three development roadblocks which caused many problems in the 1950s. Prohibition had an effect on many cities that depended on the brewing industry, the Great Depression stopped development in the late 1920's thru the mid 1930's, and World War II had government restrictions on new construction for the duration of the conflict. Post war development moved away from city centers to outlying areas and developed in response to greater reliance on cars. CBD areas suffered as a result of all these issues and by 1954, Congress enacted the Housing Act to fund clearance of blighted areas and spur housing development. Cities used these funds to clear large areas of "BLIGHT". Then interstate highway development came along and cities planned for downtown highway loops which also had a hand in clearing out more "blighted" areas.

In Milwaukee, tax loopholes were used by property owners to clear old, poorly kept downtown buildings instead of investing money in their repairs and built surface parking lots which were cheap cash cows. There really has to be local codes and tax benefits to preserve not only older buildings but also the urban fabric of neighborhoods where these buildings exist. If you clear them all for parking lots, you not only lose valuable tax base but you lose a vitality which otherwise would draw people to an area. The result is a deserted area which developers don't want to touch because it is deserted. It is a Catch-22.

This is very useful, thanks!

And Stephanie Meeks does seem to be an interesting person:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bGXcN8RSP8

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Der Atowohnhaus ist kühl, ja?

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

Rah! posted:

Giant concrete cathedral? Hard to beat St. Mary's in SF:

How about an Archdiocese failure? St. Mary's installed a sprinkler system in order to drench the homeless people trying to sleep in the doorways of the cathedral. Not long after that news broke, Pope Francis had the vatican install showers for homeless people who visit, and gave a surprise tour of the Sistine Chapel for 150 homeless people.

Cool Pope AKA 'Slum Bishop' posted:

This is everyone’s house, and your house. The doors are always open for all.

Edit: as a pure architectural edifice, I fuckin' worship St. Mary's. It's an amazing building. Shame it has to be a church, though.

Hermsgervørden fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 16, 2015

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Neutrino posted:

That just screams Switzerland

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
It's in Austria tho

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Neutrino posted:

i live in a giant car shaped babystroller, what of it?

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Hermsgervørden posted:

How about an Archdiocese failure? St. Mary's installed a sprinkler system in order to drench the homeless people trying to sleep in the doorways of the cathedral.

Not surprising, considering SF's archbishop is a giant douche nozzle:

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/matier-ross/article/Prominent-Catholics-call-on-pope-to-oust-S-F-6202539.php

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Attitude Indicator posted:

i live in a giant car shaped babystroller, what of it?

We need that goon with the red-text about spending $2,000 on a baby stroller to post in here now

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
This building right here:

was demolished in 1994 to build this:

Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_1_Poultry#Construction

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
The National Congress building in Brasilia is hideous:

And go figure, it was designed in the 60s. Apparently the bowl and dome are the seats where the senate and congress meet, and a few years back their air force broke a bunch of windows with a low-level flyby.

But really, it just looks more like a set from a low-budget 80s scifi movie than a seat of state power. It just needs a synth soundtrack and the white-jumpsuited, golf cart driving security forces of a opressive utopian regime. (as opposed to Brazil's actual black-clad military death squads)

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

C.M. Kruger posted:

But really, it just looks more like a set from a low-budget 80s scifi movie than a seat of state power. It just needs a synth soundtrack and the white-jumpsuited, golf cart driving security forces of a opressive utopian regime. (as opposed to Brazil's actual black-clad military death squads)
I've got the one you're looking for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKIsfy_3UH8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pioBHf11N78

I'm also getting Conquest of the Planet of the Apes vibes.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

C.M. Kruger posted:

The National Congress building in Brasilia is hideous:

And go figure, it was designed in the 60s. Apparently the bowl and dome are the seats where the senate and congress meet, and a few years back their air force broke a bunch of windows with a low-level flyby.

Oscar Niemeyer's work is still bad in the ways modernism is usually bad, but God drat he was doing it much better than his peers. I love how sculptural his work always was.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Temaukel posted:

Believe it or not, this isn't the only Victory of Samothrace themed building

(thankfully this one's just a proposal though)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

This is the Stockholm school of architecture. The original plan (from what I've heard) was that the entire building would be covered in english ivy. You can see a little of it on the left, but it turned out that the ivy didn't like growing on the concrete that was used so it's just turned into a few sad patches of it.

The other side of the building which was ravaged by a fire in 2011. Some say it significantly improved its looks.

The city has decided to mark the building as culturally important which means it's protected against getting demolished. "The house expresses a desire for the search for a sort of proto-architecture without color or accents." is the literal reason. :barf:

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Apr 22, 2015

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
So JGM Architects did a building in Chicago last year for a college campus on the far NW side.

I kind of like it! Grown on me a little. Now they're planning to put up this as a follow up just west of downtown.

This one.... this one I do not like.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Temaukel posted:

This is the worst thing in this thread so far. What the gently caress. The new building is hideous.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
the place is called poultry so i'd say the quality of the building fits

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Benagain posted:

This one.... this one I do not like.

It's a miscolored turd, pile, coiled upon itself. Great!

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I used to work in #1 poultry. Not much to say about it other than its actually hard to notice the architecture from the street.

One thing I will say about those old buildings in London: theyre terrible places to actually work in. See great ormond st hospital.

Also, city of London street names are amazing. Ropemaker st. Haberdasher st. Shepherdess walk. The highway.

namaste friends fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 22, 2015

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

C.M. Kruger posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwI0P7AV7DE

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Cultural Imperial posted:

I used to work in #1 poultry. Not much to say about it other than its actually hard to notice the architecture from the street.

One thing I will say about those old buildings in London: theyre terrible places to actually work in. See great ormond st hospital.

Also, city of London street names are amazing. Ropemaker st. Haberdasher st. Shepherdess walk. The highway.

It's just a shame they couldn't renovate the interior while keeping the facade. Probably cost prohibitive depending on how the original was constructed, but still a shame.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Ahahahaha yes

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Humboldt Squid posted:

Believe it or not, this isn't the only Victory of Samothrace themed building

(thankfully this one's just a proposal though)

and it looks disgusting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Benagain posted:

So JGM Architects did a building in Chicago last year for a college campus on the far NW side.

Looks to me like they've been watching a little too much Kamen Rider.

• Locked thread