Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I hit up Harbor Freight yesterday:

T-handle allen keys

Some impossible to miss cable ties

And a couple other small things like a magnet organizer bar and some safety wire that I'm too lazy to find on their site for pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Comatoast posted:

It was a good listen, but definitely not about the ancient world. Ancient Europe is a better description. He didn't even acknowledge that there were people living in Africa or North America. Asia was only mentioned with regards to trade.

Granted this leaves out most of Africa, but he does spend several lectures on Egypt. I don't know how much information we have about daily life in ancient sub-Saharan Africa or the Americas, but spending so little time on Asia does seem like an oversight, since I get the impression that ancient China, at least, was pretty big on documentation.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Kickstarter for the hardcover version of The Drawings of Bob Peak."

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull

Comatoast posted:

It was a good listen, but definitely not about the ancient world. Ancient Europe is a better description. He didn't even acknowledge that there were people living in Africa or North America. Asia was only mentioned with regards to trade.

To be fair he does say this in the very first lecture.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I'm not bothered by his speech and so far am enjoying the lectures.

And since we're on great courses chat again, I will recommend any of the music lectures by Robert Greenberg. I have only listened to 3 of them so far but they were awesome so I'm assuming they're all great.

wigbot v2.0
Oct 10, 2008

Hales

For my machine gun / Landie.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wigbot v2.0 posted:

For my machine gun / Landie.

So you're going loud

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
A new AC condenser.

A rock flew up and damaged the condenser in my year old Mazda 3. I was 3,000 miles out of warranty and even then they said they probably wouldn't have replaced it because it was damage and not failure. There goes $850.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
I bought Irvine Welsh's latest book "A Decent Ride" and got it signed by the author while I was at it.

Also, I've seen DFA live twice – late last year and in 2011 – but I have to say they didn't exactly blow my mind. Probably fun in the moshpit but wasn't feeling it further out. Plus last time I saw them some oval office near me in the audience was farting throughout the set.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

I bought a new pipe!

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

BgRdMchne posted:

I bought a new pipe!

That will complement your fedora nicely

Waterslide Industry Lobbyist
Jun 18, 2003

ANYONE WANT SOME BARBECUE?

Lipstick Apathy

rockcity posted:

A new AC condenser.

A rock flew up and damaged the condenser in my year old Mazda 3. I was 3,000 miles out of warranty and even then they said they probably wouldn't have replaced it because it was damage and not failure. There goes $850.

Have you checked if it would be covered under your insurance? Might save a bit of change if they will cover it and you have a low deductible.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

PCOS Bill posted:

That will complement your fedora nicely

I smoke at home. I wear the fedora when I go out.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

BgRdMchne posted:

I smoke at home. I wear the fedora when I go out.

You need a smoking jacket as well. Stylish as balls

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

BgRdMchne posted:

I bought a new pipe!

That looks like an estate pipe.

Have you checked in to our thread?

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Fire Safety Doug posted:

Plus last time I saw them some oval office near me in the audience was farting throughout the set.

Sorry

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Android Bicyclist posted:

Kickstarter for the hardcover version of The Drawings of Bob Peak."

yoooo sick jojos fanart

wigbot v2.0
Oct 10, 2008

Hales

PCOS Bill posted:

So you're going loud

Well, a little, I mean, I guess I have to, as my truck makes so much noise at anything over 30mph..

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Waterslide Industry Lobbyist posted:

Have you checked if it would be covered under your insurance? Might save a bit of change if they will cover it and you have a low deductible.

I did and they would cover it but the deductible was $500 and then I run the risk of having my rates increase. I would have also had to wait a bit for whoever they sent it to to give me a new estimate order the part and then get the repair approved. It's already hit 90 in Orlando and I had a 5 hour drive to do for work, so I just ponied up and got it done quickly.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
I bought a box of Better Cheddars recently because they were on clearance for $1 and I vaguely remembered them being good.

How did I ever forget how loving awesome these things are? :aaa: Better than cheese Nips, better than Goldfish, better than Cheez Its. These are so great.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ema Nymton posted:

I bought a box of Better Cheddars recently because they were on clearance for $1 and I vaguely remembered them being good.

How did I ever forget how loving awesome these things are? :aaa: Better than cheese Nips, better than Goldfish, better than Cheez Its. These are so great.

Woah. It's probably been 20 years since I've even seen those. I used to love them as a kid though.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

AnimalChin posted:

That looks like an estate pipe.

Have you checked in to our thread?

It's definitely new. It's got a "pre-charred" bowl, which is why it looks like it's been smoked before.

I'll check in with that thread since my local store is always out of Frog Morton and always recommends something lighter like McClelland's Bombay Court.
Do you know a heavy latakia blend that is regularly carried in midwest shops?

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Ema Nymton posted:

Oh god I want these now!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Good weather is here, buying new t-shirts to replace my old, tatty ones.

from www.angryyoungandpoor.com

from www.itiswhatitis.co.uk/

Blackbird Betty
Mar 27, 2010

Everyone at work's been teasing me about my little pink lunchbox since the day I got it, but I stuck with it for three years until it wore right out because it was the perfect size. This replacement one is made of rice husk fibre - stainless steel would have been the obvious choice, but then I'd have to plate stuff up before putting it in the microwave.

Finding good-quality women's brogues with a minimum of extra decorative poo poo all over them was unbelievably difficult! I wouldn't call these a total victory but they're not too gaudy and really comfortable.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

spookygonk posted:

Good weather is here, buying new t-shirts to replace my old, tatty ones.

from www.angryyoungandpoor.com

They'd probably sell more of these if they could find a shirt that fit the model. Or the other way around. Or if it wasn't really ugly t-shirt.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
My area's lack of decent and not crazily priced Moroccan cuisine, coupled with the desire to anesthetize the bordeom of mindless work by equally mindless consumerism, led to this purchase:

It's used to make tagine and is itself called a tagine. I am looking forward to weekends of lamb stew with apricots and dates in, and chicken with preserved lemons and green olives, cod marinated in chermoula... maybe some purely vegetarian tagines as well.

edit: The tagine above is made by Le Souk Ceramique and can be readily found on Amazon or eBay. You can buy less fancily decorated ones from other manufacturers for cheaper or go crazy with a $200 Le Creuset tagine. (Though why you'd bother with the latter, I have no idea: they're essentially enameled cast iron skillets with a conical lid, so it's not as if the tagine's going to absorb flavor like clay or non-enameled cast iron would.)

ibntumart has a new favorite as of 12:04 on Apr 23, 2015

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

I have one of these (just a basic brown glazed one) and it works so well with cheap cuts of meat and enough for a couple of days of fine dining.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

These are pretty good

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

spookygonk posted:

I have one of these (just a basic brown glazed one) and it works so well with cheap cuts of meat and enough for a couple of days of fine dining.

I am a big lover of stews and the like is this worth owning or can the same result be achieved with a slow cooker? (I am only asking because I already own a slow cooker and my kitchen is tiny but I am tempted by new interesting ways of cooking.)

loving love brogues good purchase.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

(Iittala and Hackman in case anyone is interested. They were on sale.)

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

ZeusCannon posted:

I am a big lover of stews and the like is this worth owning or can the same result be achieved with a slow cooker? (I am only asking because I already own a slow cooker and my kitchen is tiny but I am tempted by new interesting ways of cooking.)

A better comparison might be with a Dutch oven rather than a slow cooker (including the ability to put the vessel in the oven if called for, though not the lid). Cooking time would be less (maybe a couple of hours as opposed to four or more with a slow cooker).

If I had to choose between one or the other, I'd go with a cast iron Dutch oven. I've gotten a lot of use out of mine. I just really want a proper tagine again and felt like a mild splurge.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

ibntumart posted:

A better comparison might be with a Dutch oven rather than a slow cooker (including the ability to put the vessel in the oven if called for, though not the lid). Cooking time would be less (maybe a couple of hours as opposed to four or more with a slow cooker).

If I had to choose between one or the other, I'd go with a cast iron Dutch oven. I've gotten a lot of use out of mine. I just really want a proper tagine again and felt like a mild splurge.

I second this opinion. I see very little difference between food produced in a dutch oven vs tagine. But there is a huge difference between dutch oven vs slow cooker.

A dutch oven is much more polyvalent and will probably see more use in a normal western kitchen. I used to have a tagine until I dropped it and never bought another one because it seemed redundant/took a lot of space. If I had a big kitchen with a lot of room for stuff I'd consider buying another one though.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

I got a staub dutch oven for my wedding and I loving love it. I used it all the time.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I somehow blew $10 on stickers.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

If you liked those but don't know about Last Exit To Nowhere... I may have just cost you a lot more money.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Larry David one is the only one worth money.

Save your money people. I made better tasting sriracha cashews using real sriracha and baking. These were bullshit and didn't taste anything like sriracha.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Trabant posted:

If you liked those but don't know about Last Exit To Nowhere... I may have just cost you a lot more money.

What have you done?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u5uMLi0ghg

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass
Time to get Witcher3-ready !

Gainward GTX970 Phantom (with said Witcher 3 gifted)

More RAM

And a new SSD because mine is full, Samsung 850pro 256GB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I went and saw Avengers and bought a dorky cup.