Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot
If you buy a mill, you will rapidly find yourself needing a lathe to finish a project. If you buy a lathe, you will find yourself needing a mill. Either can easily become an expensive accessory sponge.

That said, I use my lathe far more frequently than I imagined I would.

CTC tools is a great place to buy cutters etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

max4me posted:

So an old hotroder is leaving the state and my friend took me over to see what he was selling.
I ended up getting a craftsmen tool box for 100 and

2 Chicago mig welders, one was set for stainless with 100% argon and the other for steel with 75% argon, with tanks regulator, and a bunch of wire. for 500 dollars. I figured i could sell one of them to recoup some money.

Did I get a good deal or screw the pooch on this one.

Sounds like you bought two Harbor freight welders with tanks and regulators for full price. Unless "Chicago mig welder" is something other than that.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
yep, there are two lessons in that story, I shouldnt have left my phone at home (then I would have know they were HF), and the other is that I deferred to my buddy. Because welding his more his thing. I should have done my own home work.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I guess I'll just save my money and buy both a lathe and a mill!

The only reason I bring this up is there was a tool auction and both machines went for stupid cheap, 500 for each. Thinking back I should have just bought them and stuff them in a storage unit. Plus a decent sized metal band saw went dirt cheap as well. :sigh:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Make sure you have a good space for a metal machine shop too. Milling metal can get pretty dirty with lots of metal shavings, oil, etc. everywhere. Doing it in a garage next to cars is going to be annoying.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I have kicked around the idea of buying a metal lathe. I know there is things I could do with it, but I am completely lost as to what kind of projects I could do with one.

Or would I be better off buying a milling machine?

If I had a lathe, this is the first project I would complete with it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIxgPEVjxiA

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Buy whichever tool is more likely to enable you to build the other. :v:

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

One cool thing a lathe can make is bead roller dies. I've seen a guy make a form tool from a piece of steel plate, grind a cutting relief, and just jam it into the rod. You use the cutoff from the plate to cut the mating roller. Bam, instant crazy profile on your sheet metal.

Edit: Formatting is all hosed, but this is the just of it! http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/tech-week-few-bead-roller-ideas.679104/

Commodore_64 fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 21, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Holy poo poo that's really cool. (good lord that formatting is hosed)

mod sassinator posted:

Make sure you have a good space for a metal machine shop too. Milling metal can get pretty dirty with lots of metal shavings, oil, etc. everywhere. Doing it in a garage next to cars is going to be annoying.

Yeah, I have been finding poo poo every where just from grinding and cutting. I bought a chop saw last weekend on sale, and it makes life a million times easier.

I wonder if there would be any interest in a metal work/welding thread? I know thespyder was talking about doing one, and it seems like theres enough of us that do it. The DIY metal thread seems to be more related to forge/blacksmith work.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I ordered that Ranger/Bend-Pak BL-3500 because it appears to be one of the few scissor-like jacks that will lift an MG Midget while leaving the centerline clear. I like the idea of the ezcarlift, but I got the guy to admit that his MG application measurements were for lifting the car with the lift rotated perpendicular to the car, which won't work for me. 6.5ft garage ceilings or I'd be considering a real lift.

Fingers crossed that the Ranger thing actually fits between the wheels like their measurements say. It's going to be tight. If the small one won't lift the MG I'm going to really regret not ordering the 5000lb model for everything else in the family.

Ordering through northerntool lets you avoid a $50 residential delivery charge from Bend-Pak, the $50-off-$250 coupons all over Google apply, and the return policy seems more lax, if anyone is interested.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I wonder if there would be any interest in a metal work/welding thread? I know thespyder was talking about doing one, and it seems like theres enough of us that do it. The DIY metal thread seems to be more related to forge/blacksmith work.

Oh he made it alright...he just used the wrong thread tag and was autobanned for it :v:

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jan 4, 2020

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

MrChips posted:

Oh he made it alright...he just used the wrong thread tag and was autobanned for it :v:

We don't need your rules, man. *disables safety interlock* *loses another finger*

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

oxbrain posted:

We don't need your rules, man. *disables safety interlock* *loses another finger*

Holy poo poo it's oxbrain.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

6.5ft garage ceilings or I'd be considering a real lift.

Wait, what kind of loving weird garage/building design is this? Is this a repurposed space or something? I couldn't even stand up in there.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Splizwarf posted:

Wait, what kind of loving weird garage/building design is this? Is this a repurposed space or something? I couldn't even stand up in there.

To be fair mate, I've seen pictures of you and there are shipping containers you'd be cramped standing up in. Anyone driving a midget won't have that issue.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Splizwarf posted:

The master bedroom has dropped floors. Half the garage underneath is super low as a result.

I posted in "fix it fast" a few years ago when I discovered that the drop had been accomplished by notching the joists down to less than 2 inches thick and had split, nearly dropping a bedroom onto my car.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Cakefool posted:

To be fair mate, I've seen pictures of you and there are shipping containers you'd be cramped standing up in.

Truth, but 6'5" is still just a deep cupboard, not a real room. :colbert:

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Raluek posted:

Holy poo poo it's oxbrain.

This is my reaction every time I see a mirror.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Does anyone have any advice for removing a water supply valve that's been cranked down onto threaded galvanized pipe? The first supply valve came off no problem with channel locks, but the other doesn't want to budge, even after going at it with a big fuckoff pair of vise grips.

It's under a cabinet, so I don't want to use a torch to loosen things up, but it's crusted on there with forty years of mineral/rust buildup and I don't want to damage the pipes underneath.

I've got some new ball joint valves to thread on there, so should I just dremel the old one off?

vv Thanks! Just hit it with a dremel and that did the trick

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 26, 2015

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Two pipe wrenches? Way more grip and leverage than vise grips or channel locks. Plus, it's sort of what they're for.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
Just picked up that Milwaukee impact wrench. drat, this thing is badass. Paid for itself already for a differential repair (input seal) I was going to have the BMW dealership do.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

MrChips posted:

I'll make it again... drat it.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
Are there any tips/tricks for using a tap in a tight space? I had some welded nuts under the car that needed thread chasing, but there wasn't any room to get a tap handle in the area, so I made due with a 7mm box wrench and a whole lot of cursing

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Brigdh posted:

Are there any tips/tricks for using a tap in a tight space? I had some welded nuts under the car that needed thread chasing, but there wasn't any room to get a tap handle in the area, so I made due with a 7mm box wrench and a whole lot of cursing

Nope, that's about right, although a socket is a little steadier.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Brigdh posted:

I bought these on a whim once and I've thanked myself every time I've had to run a tap since then. I don't even look at the tap handles anymore.

For chasing threads on studs and whatnot I've had good luck with channelok pliers, just FYI.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Since only Kozmonaut and I read my thread, I feel obliged to dump this here: it turns out that any recent smartphone or tablet can be turned into a vibration analysis tool with a simple app.

My car has a shake. The peak fits wheel speed pretty good (This is post-FFT. Ignore the label.)

Also, my coffee grinder seems to run at half of the AC frequency:

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

bolind posted:

Since only Kozmonaut and I read my thread, I feel obliged to dump this here: it turns out that any recent smartphone or tablet can be turned into a vibration analysis tool with a simple app.

My car has a shake. The peak fits wheel speed pretty good (This is post-FFT. Ignore the label.)

The Smart Tools app on Google Play includes a vibrometer and other fun/useful stuff, for anyone who's interested. I'm not affiliated with the dev -- I just find it useful.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

bolind posted:

What's this app called?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Vibration. There's a bunch. This one has FFT transform, autosave, auto repeat, load...

There's talk about a newer version of the app I linked having support for mic input up to 16kHz.

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.

HotCanadianChick posted:

Well, last night I picked up babby's first welder, the el-cheapo Harbor Freight 110v 90a wire feed flux core welder:
http://www.harborfreight.com/welding/mig-flux-welders/90-amp-ac-120-volt-flux-cored-welder-68887.html

My parents gave me a $100 Harbor Freight gift card for xmas and I couldn't think of anything else I needed from there (I could use a good electric impact gun, but the ones at HF are crappy and not significantly cheaper than some of the other, better brands, so not worth it to me)

So here's my first time welding, on what was clean, new 1/8" cold rolled sheet steel:

The cheap flux core wire that came with it is made in China and is (from what I've read) notoriously crappy and creates a lot of spatter and crud; from what I've heard from other people who've bought this welder, getting better wire (and moving from the .030" it comes with to .035" wire) helps a lot with getting cleaner welds. The first attempts were just as boogery as I'd expected, but after a couple tries I got the wire feed speed dialed in better and was starting to get the hang of it (the ones at the bottom of that pic are the newest, the really boogery long ones in the upper middle were the first beads).

I have a ways to go :v:

I just got the same "babby's first welder" the other weekend and used it reattach a guide wheel on my mower deck that I have ripped off twice. The first time a buddy and I used his Lincoln arc welder and made a mess out of it and manged to have it turned up too much and melted some of the deck.

This time I took the little HF and tacked the wheel in place and proceded bridge the gaps and fill in the holes the best I could which looks like boogers on top of boogers.

I should take the deck off and go at it from the inside but that will take a day when I go ahead and replace the deck belts and drive belts. It's a mid 90's John Deere 110?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I can't help with the welding but when you're done I know Lowe's has John Deere yellow in the spray paint aisle (I used it to put a flame job on my Snapper so the Deere seat I put on it wouldn't look as out of place).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'm tracking down a fault with a sensor in my car. My next step, I think, is to see if there is a break in the harness coming from the sensor. What tool/how do I go about this? I don't have access to the other end of the harness, so I can't just run a continuity test with a multimeter (I don't think?).

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Uthor posted:

I'm tracking down a fault with a sensor in my car. My next step, I think, is to see if there is a break in the harness coming from the sensor. What tool/how do I go about this? I don't have access to the other end of the harness, so I can't just run a continuity test with a multimeter (I don't think?).

In theory you can, by accessing the right pin at the ecu connection or wherever and using an extended lead like this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000KIVOU2/ref=mp_s_a_1_13?qid=1430190208&sr=8-13&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=Test+leads

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Hmnm, I should track down a wiring diagram, I think. See where the other end connects to.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Uthor posted:

What kind of sensor is it?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Mass air flow.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I hate having a day at home to myself. All I do is watch youtube videos and now I want a hammer and dolly set along with some various mallets to shape metal.

Any one do metal shaping? If not is there a good thread I can start reading to get an idea?

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I hate having a day at home to myself. All I do is watch youtube videos and now I want a hammer and dolly set along with some various mallets to shape metal.

Any one do metal shaping? If not is there a good thread I can start reading to get an idea?

Don't know about any threads, but I have played with sheet metal work.

http://imgur.com/a/nGTUZ

That's mostly sheet aluminum (crappy Home Depot stuff, not the better materials out there).

I also make my own seat pans.

http://imgur.com/a/Gq7US

You don't need a lot of tools to get going. Some hammers and dollies, some aircraft snips, a shrinking stump that you can make, and a sandbag for stretching will get you started. The only special tools I have are:

A crimping tool similar to this:

A hand brake/seamer like this:

and a planishing hammer from HF ($150 with stand).

That planishing hammer is fun as hell and can move some serious metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.

Cat Hatter posted:

I can't help with the welding but when you're done I know Lowe's has John Deere yellow in the spray paint aisle (I used it to put a flame job on my Snapper so the Deere seat I put on it wouldn't look as out of place).

Good to know! I was going to hit it with the wire wheel again and hit it with some black I had laying around this weekend.

I would love to put the engine cover back on and clean it up but John Deere engineered it with plastic hinges (and a plastic hood) that over time and heat cycles have broken off. And the assembly to fix it is more than I want to spend...