Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Cimber posted:

I must get a better smoker, because there is no way in hell that I could keep mine going for 7 hours without it going out.

What kind of smoker do you have? My WSM has gone as long as 20 hours without losing temp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Paper With Lines posted:

What are using? That's like weber kettle level of inefficiency.

I've been using my weber kettle grill to smoke pork shoulders and I've only ever had to add fuel once over the four times I've done it. You just need to make sure there is enough charcoal in there to last as long as you need it.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

Cimber posted:

so, what. wake up every 2-3 hours during the middle of the night to add fuel?

I guess if you are running something that burns that in-efficient, then pretty much?

I am going to assume you are using an electric?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
This reminds me that I need to order the steel door for my WSM. On my last smoke it was below freezing and I could really see how much leakage there was. I had to close two bottom vents fully, the last to about 90%, and the top about 50% to lock the temp in.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Bone_Enterprise posted:

I guess if you are running something that burns that in-efficient, then pretty much?

I am going to assume you are using an electric?

No, i'm using a ECB 40 dollar special POS smoker.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

Cimber posted:

No, i'm using a ECB 40 dollar special POS smoker.

Then yes you will have to wake up every "2-3 hours" to add fuel until you get a smoker that does not require that kind of attention.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
How the hell are you people getting 20 hours without adding fuel on a WSM?

I've got the latest edition of the WSM 37 and I've even put the nomex gaskets on it. I've only done two smokes with it so far but even with every vent fully open, sometimes I was struggling to hit 230F and when I do I can't hold it for more than about 2 hours without having to chuck more fuel in.
I'm in South England so ambient outdoor temps are normally 10-20C. Using the water pan with a few litres of water in and fuel is restaurant grade lump charcoal

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 23, 2015

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Ahdinko posted:

Using the water pan with a few litres of water in

Try changing this to sand. Like clean sand from the beach or a kids sandbox. Then cover it with foil for easy cleanup. This might not get you 10 more hours but it will help a lot as you are not heating up water.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

I use a dry water pan with a clay dish like what you'd find at a garden shop. Then covered with foil.

I also have an 18.5 so it's literally half the diameter of yours (ie-1/4 the area) but you can put more fuel in yours also so... not sure. How do you prep your smoker to start cooking?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
My WSM 22.5 uses too much fuel for small smokes, just because the ring is so big. Anyone use the snake method for a 6 hour burn?

Edit - yes, I'm cheap. A 15 lb bag of Kingsford here costs between 10-13 bucks and rarely if ever goes on sale. Filling up a 22.5 pretty much kills the bag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ5gYKnDBgQ&t=11s

Ahdinko posted:

How the hell are you people getting 20 hours without adding fuel on a WSM?

I've got the latest edition of the WSM 37 and I've even put the nomex gaskets on it. I've only done two smokes with it so far but even with every vent fully open, sometimes I was struggling to hit 230F and when I do I can't hold it for more than about 2 hours without having to chuck more fuel in.
I'm in South England so ambient outdoor temps are normally 10-20C. Using the water pan with a few litres of water in and fuel is restaurant grade lump charcoal

Lump generally burns hotter and quicker than briquettes. Even then you should get more than a few hours of it.

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 23, 2015

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Quote is not edit.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Canuckistan posted:

My WSM 22.5 uses too much fuel for small smokes, just because the ring is so big. Anyone use the snake method for a 6 hour burn?

Edit - yes, I'm cheap. A 15 lb bag of Kingsford here costs between 10-13 bucks and rarely if ever goes on sale. Filling up a 22.5 pretty much kills the bag.

Lump generally burns hotter and quicker than briquettes. Even then you should get more than a few hours of it.

Not sure where you are, but around Memorial Day and July 4th and such Home Depots and the like have huge sales in the states. Last year I picked up ~ 200lbs of Kingsford charcoal for like $50. It has lasted me for quite a while and I still have a lot left in my garage from last year.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Canada doesn't get good sales like that. :(

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Canuckistan posted:

Canada doesn't get good sales like that. :(

Find someone in God's country to smuggle you in that black gold. :shrug:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Crazyeyes posted:

Find someone in God's country to smuggle you in that black gold. :shrug:

I know transporting firewood across the US/Canada border was not allowed last time I went. Can you pop over the border for charcoal? Also, please try to get your charcoal from local, responsibly forested areas!

Now excuse me, I have a giant pile of oak that's rotting.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Cheers for the tips guys, ill go in dry and if not ill pick some sand up and see if that works. Oh and when I say WSM 37, they measure them in centimetres here because of the metric system. I think that equates out to about 15". Its the smallest one they do

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Crazyeyes posted:

Not sure where you are, but around Memorial Day and July 4th and such Home Depots and the like have huge sales in the states. Last year I picked up ~ 200lbs of Kingsford charcoal for like $50. It has lasted me for quite a while and I still have a lot left in my garage from last year.

Memorial day weekend is my favorite weekend of the year! 400 lbs of charcoal in the back of a Subaru wagon, and a new Weber grill to go with its WSM big brother already waiting at home.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
Making some BBQ beans, stuck the pan under some St. Louis ribs. Smells amazing, tastes great, but jesus there's a lot of fat floating on top. Skim it off or mix it in?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Tivac posted:

Making some BBQ beans, stuck the pan under some St. Louis ribs. Smells amazing, tastes great, but jesus there's a lot of fat floating on top. Skim it off or mix it in?

Mix it in. That's where a lot of that smokiness is coming from in the beans. I usually offset my beans so only one rack of ribs can drip into it to somewhat regulate the extra fat, but i never skim. I am all about the decadent, smoky, greasy beans.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
I tried to smoke some pork butt on this guy's BGE that I was dog sitting for. I have successfully smoked ribs on this but I walked away for 20 minutes and it was up to like 500 degrees.

Such a failure. We ate it anyway, but a not insignificant of the outside was so caramelized and crunchy that it was mostly inedible.

Good smoke ring though.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

Crazyeyes posted:

Mix it in. That's where a lot of that smokiness is coming from in the beans. I usually offset my beans so only one rack of ribs can drip into it to somewhat regulate the extra fat, but i never skim. I am all about the decadent, smoky, greasy beans.

Ended up needing to skim some off, it wasn't gonna be edible. I had it under three racks of ribs though.

Ended up pretty great though, I do love some BBQ beans!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Paper With Lines posted:

I tried to smoke some pork butt on this guy's BGE that I was dog sitting for. I have successfully smoked ribs on this but I walked away for 20 minutes and it was up to like 500 degrees.

Such a failure. We ate it anyway, but a not insignificant of the outside was so caramelized and crunchy that it was mostly inedible.

Good smoke ring though.

Did you forget to put the black top back on after you opened it?

I think if I leave that off my bge will get right around 450-500.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

No, I did. I think I had the vents too open and was too impatient (slash didn't realize it would get so hot so fast) to wait around and see if the temp was stable. I was eventually able to get it down to like 300 but it seems like once that thing is hot, it is hot and that's all there is too it.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Paper With Lines posted:

No, I did. I think I had the vents too open and was too impatient (slash didn't realize it would get so hot so fast) to wait around and see if the temp was stable. I was eventually able to get it down to like 300 but it seems like once that thing is hot, it is hot and that's all there is too it.

If you choose the vents way down and open the lid for a little bit the temp will plummet.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The key to bge is start early, get temp where you want it. Then throw meat on.

Raising temp is easy, backing it down takes much more.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I spent all morning managing a burn pile full of pig guts. Not my choice or idea of a good time.

However, there is now a lot of meat in the freezer at work that needs SMOKIN

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Canuckistan posted:

I find the lump goes further without babysitting for me then briquette if you set your vents right, the briquettes like to smother themselves in their own ash.

I use this poo poo: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B009P166SU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I used the worm method for ribs this weekend. Overall it worked fine. Since the fire was small at all times I didn't need to put anything in my water pan and just controlled the temp using the vents which I kept at 0%, 20%, 20% open.

The temp started to dip at the end so I just threw 2 handfuls of briquettes on for the final hour.

These were the biggest ribs I've ever smoked. It's on a 22.5 for scale.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

Jo3sh posted:

So just I am understanding this correctly, is this something like what you do?

Canned beans - say pintos or kidneys or something, but not sauced beans like premade BBQ beans. Do you drain these, or use them with the liquid from the can?
Chopped up onions and peppers
Molasses or (brown) sugar

Stick all of this in a foil tray underneath something fatty on the smoker to collect smoke and drippings.

'Cause drat it, this sounds really good and now I want to go get a shoulder just so I can make some beans.

Late update - these beans were loving fantastic.

2.5 pound can of pinto beans, drained and rinsed.
Big onion, diced.
Some cloves of garlic, chopped.
Red bell pepper, diced.
One large jalapeno, diced - could go more here, but had guests who prefer mild food. Could also use other chiles, cock sauce or whatever - or leave 'em out if you like not-hot.
Spoonful of tomato paste.
Pint mild beer.
Half pint water.
Some brown sugar.
Some ground cumin.

All of the above in a foil tray. I found a rack that fit nicely on top of said tray and put the butt on top of that. Beans were on for about 5 or six hours - checked them for moisture and gave them a stir at about 4 hours.

Jo3sh fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 27, 2015

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
That sounds gooood. When I do my beans I put in some pulled pork if I have it, bacon if not.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I had the happy notion of smoking this pork belly before I made carnitas today

3 hours at 80c, 4 rounds of hickory smoke

Cooked in the usual way, 3 hours in a 160 oven, turning every 45 minutes

This was really tasty, though the smoke and fat from belly rather than shoulder toned the spices down to an almost imperceptible background note.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
Well I posted last page about wanting to attempt a smoke on my knockoff weber kettle. I ended up going through with it and even got a few pics:

https://imgur.com/MxQnINa,Br1rAgF,XlAswgK

They've got about an hour left.. I'm pretty excited to see how they turn out.

Edit:

I can't seem to make them smaller from my phone so have the album instead

davey4283 fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Apr 28, 2015

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Dear God please make those smaller

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

davey4283 posted:

I can't seem to make them smaller from my phone so have the album instead

next time try using [timg] tags instead.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

Are those ribs?

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
Yea, baby backs. They turned out pretty good too. Especially for not having used that method before.

I ran to 3 different stores today trying to find an oven thermometer to no avail. In the end I winged it and it worked out.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Picked up some pork spare ribs at the store this morning. Dinner tomorrow gonna be goooood

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

davey4283 posted:

I ran to 3 different stores today trying to find an oven thermometer to no avail.
Well yeah, judging by the ash all over, didn't most places in Calbuco close down? Good luck finding anything at all

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib

feelz good man posted:

Well yeah, judging by the ash all over, didn't most places in Calbuco close down? Good luck finding anything at all

Honestly when you live in Arabia you learn to accept it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

davey4283 posted:

Honestly when you live in Arabia you learn to accept it.

You're just happy it isn't in your eyes