Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Since last Friday, the guy who sits across from me has been constantly watching videos about how petty and terrible black women in the US are. Thankfully he's wearing headphones but like, gently caress dude this isn't Reddit.

EDIT: Wow, good snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Oh god the horror.... A ticket has come in just as I'm on my way out thank god. My current company is moving buildings and built a brand new HQ with over 30 conference rooms. We use Lync for conferencing. The old CIO who "left" (I think he was basically forced to resign) didnt bother to check the work order from our AV vendor. None of the currently installed equipment for these rooms is Lync certified. The AV vendor had no idea we even used Lync. This is going to be a poo poo show.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Time for celebration, we got our first crypto infection! I'm honestly surprised it took this long.

VSS is on all our windows file servers so it's nothing big, but we still have a chunk of data on Novell and that's gonna require pulling tapes. Not me though, I'm not involved with the backup systems. :yum:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

hihifellow posted:

Time for celebration, we got our first crypto infection! I'm honestly surprised it took this long.

VSS is on all our windows file servers so it's nothing big, but we still have a chunk of data on Novell and that's gonna require pulling tapes. Not me though, I'm not involved with the backup systems. :yum:

Which version? .ecc? .randomextension? Straight crypto?

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
.ecc, dropped by what sophos picked up as mal/generic-s

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Gilok posted:

What's crazy to me is your shop has TWO ladies (you're a lady right?)

Seriously please get more women in IT this place is a sausage fest and I'm tired of my co-workers bitching about women.

I KNOW! I was actually super bummed when we were reading through applications and they were 99% men. She ended up being the only woman we interviewed and was head and shoulders above everyone else. She's rather soft spoken and sweet but she also knew what she was talking about and seemed extremely comfortable doing it. I really hope she works out. :allears:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Sirotan posted:

I really hope she works out. :allears:

Ableist :argh:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

GF (Python/Java programmer among other languages) is currently looking for an IT job. She's currently working at a startup but is looking for something with actual benefits. Madison WI here if anyone has openings they know about.

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

GreenNight posted:

GF (Python/Java programmer among other languages) is currently looking for an IT job. She's currently working at a startup but is looking for something with actual benefits. Madison WI here if anyone has openings they know about.

How would y'all feel about relocating to Chicago?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

GreenNight posted:

If she has a 4 year degree she could consider Epic.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Considering we purchasing a house in September, not that great. She has no problems working remote though, but not so keen on relocating.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

captkirk posted:

If she has a 4 year degree she could consider Epic.

She does, but we live in Sun Prairie and that would be a terrible terrible drive. Her degree is in Computer Science. Also speaks fluent Japanese.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

GreenNight posted:

She does, but we live in Sun Prairie and that would be a terrible terrible drive. Her degree is in Computer Science. Also speaks fluent Japanese.

If she knows C# and isn't opposed to working with SharePoint, you should PM me. I don't know if we'd hire engineers remotely like that, but for someone who speaks fluent Japanese they may make an exception.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I feel horrible, but it was still very funny.

I think we're confused about why Parkinsons adds to the humor of the situation.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Inspector_666 posted:

I think we're confused about why Parkinsons adds to the humor of the situation.

One of symptoms is uncontrollable hand tremors

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Spazz posted:

If she knows C# and isn't opposed to working with SharePoint, you should PM me. I don't know if we'd hire engineers remotely like that, but for someone who speaks fluent Japanese they may make an exception.
Hahahaha, fuckin sharepoint.

I do not miss asp.net and sharepoint. C# is cool though.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

We're a waterfall shop.

Salesperson #1 got an SSD for their laptop
Salesperson #2 opened a ticket to get an SSD for their laptop
Salesperson #3 also opened a ticket to get an SSD for their laptop Salesperson #3's laptop came with an SSD

:lol:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Salespeople are mice who want cookies. Treat them accordingly.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

KoRMaK posted:

Hahahaha, fuckin sharepoint.

Yeah... it's an interesting product that honestly kind of works when implemented correctly. There's just so many bastardized deployments that give it a bad name. When you install and configure it correctly, it runs pretty well. We do a pretty good job of setting it up right with clients.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Spazz posted:

Yeah... it's an interesting product that honestly kind of works when implemented correctly. There's just so many bastardized deployments that give it a bad name. When you install and configure it correctly, it runs pretty well. We do a pretty good job of setting it up right with clients.
We recently just deployed an upgrade to one of our Rails apps that allows users to add custom fields to almost any object.

It was then that I realized that maybe sharepoint is trying it's hardest, and I should cut it some slack because having dynamic objects that can have arbitrary fields added after compile time requires a bunch of sql calls. There isn't really a way around it.

When we deployed it I crossed my fingers and hoped I didn't just make something that will be as clumsy as sharepoint in terms of memory and speed.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Moey posted:

Sirotan is just a bully.

Sirotan is a seal. :colbert:

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

KoRMaK posted:

It was then that I realized that maybe sharepoint is trying it's hardest, and I should cut it some slack because having dynamic objects that can have arbitrary fields added after compile time requires a bunch of sql calls. There isn't really a way around it.

I'm fairly confident that the engineering team behind the SQL database schema and transactions were high as gently caress, because if you run the SQL profiler and see some of the transactions going on it's ridiculous what they are doing. Right now I have a ticket open with MSFT (and is being transferred from the SP to SQL team) for a deadlock causing document check-ins to be completely discarded, which results in 0KB files and all changes lost.

As for the rest of the product, it's a very functional program. The issue is people who deploy it and call it a day, but don't do any continued maintenance on it like splitting content DBs that get too big, making sure views and queries are configured within the LVT, and putting items into folders in libraries to reduce list view threshold errors. SharePoint isn't a "drop in" product that you can just deploy and leave running, which is why it gets a bad reputation.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Spazz posted:

SharePoint isn't a "drop in" product that you can just deploy and leave running, which is why it gets a bad reputation.

Except that's exactly how Microsoft sells it. At least our lovely reps.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Spazz posted:

Message sent. She knows c#.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

GreenNight posted:

I'll be just as unhelpful as Storysmith and say yeah, if she was in Chicago I could get her a job in a heartbeat (great benefits, too). I know remote won't happen, though, I've been chipping away at that here for years.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

No doubt. All the replies she's been getting is from HR saying that they are looking at people with 8+ years of experience.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Spazz posted:

As for the rest of the product, it's a very functional program. The issue is people who deploy it and call it a day, but don't do any continued maintenance on it like splitting content DBs that get too big, making sure views and queries are configured within the LVT, and putting items into folders in libraries to reduce list view threshold errors. SharePoint isn't a "drop in" product that you can just deploy and leave running, which is why it gets a bad reputation.

So it was a locking issue of some sort. I knew it.

loving sharepoint.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Collateral Damage posted:

Salespeople are mice who want cookies. Treat them accordingly.

...Set traps and buy predators to hunt them?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Collateral Damage posted:

A cold call came in:

:downs: "Hi, this is a sales call. Do you have time to talk or would you rather have me call later?"
:geno: "I'd rather have you not call at all. Bye."

At least he was honest about his intentions.

I've actually had some sales training, basically just enough to know I never want to do Inside Sales and this is basically line 1 of Sales 101.

It's probably the sales equivalent of "When did you stop beating your wife?"

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

deimos posted:

Except that's exactly how Microsoft sells it. At least our lovely reps.

Never trust a sales rep.

J
Jun 10, 2001

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Oh god the horror.... A ticket has come in just as I'm on my way out thank god. My current company is moving buildings and built a brand new HQ with over 30 conference rooms. We use Lync for conferencing. The old CIO who "left" (I think he was basically forced to resign) didnt bother to check the work order from our AV vendor. None of the currently installed equipment for these rooms is Lync certified. The AV vendor had no idea we even used Lync. This is going to be a poo poo show.

Hahaha what a clusterfuck. Glad you don't have to deal with the fallout from that poo poo.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Gilok posted:

...Set traps and buy predators to hunt them?

Yeah, if you put poison out they'll just stink up the place worse than they do now.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

kensei posted:

We're a waterfall shop.

Salesperson #1 got an SSD for their laptop
Salesperson #2 opened a ticket to get an SSD for their laptop
Salesperson #3 also opened a ticket to get an SSD for their laptop Salesperson #3's laptop came with an SSD

:lol:

After lots of bitching from our Sales team about slow computers, it was fully approved for me to improve them; so I've ordered a batch of Samsung EVO 850's to placate them. I don't care it isn't my money and I love tinkering with hardware.

I did spend a couple hours figuring out how to open a Sony VAIO AIO without wrecking the thing to assess them though, they sure do love those pieces of poo poo so I'm sure accounting will be happy about not footing the bill for new base units, monitors, and ms office.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
To be honest, I will probably throw a fit if my new laptop didn't have an SSD. This mechanical drive drives (heh) me up the wall. I would honestly ask to get one and have the difference taken out of my paycheck if I really had to, I am so done with mechanical drives for the OS.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Sirotan posted:

We finally had someone start today in our vacant helpdesk position. After my boss sat her down and walked her through a quick overview of just about everything, I gave her a relatively simple task of getting an ID card scanner installed on a workstation. It's normally a ~15min job, but 2.5 hours later she was still at it. Her issue ended up being a bad USB cable (which I swear to god I didn't deliberately give her as some kind of test, promise!!), and I get that it was her first day and all but I wasn't feeling real confident about out choice when I left for the day.

She seems nice, anyway....
We had a new guy start a few weeks ago. He seemed good, worked in IT for a few years on the East Coast, was asking a lot of the right kind of questions about our environment. Then a few days in he asked me what "ping" was. He seems capable in lots of areas, but he has some weird gaps in his knowledge that make me wonder what exactly he did at his old job.

Gilok posted:

...Set traps
Install their new SSDs with bad SATA cables?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Knormal posted:

We had a new guy start a few weeks ago. He seemed good, worked in IT for a few years on the East Coast, was asking a lot of the right kind of questions about our environment. Then a few days in he asked me what "ping" was. He seems capable in lots of areas, but he has some weird gaps in his knowledge that make me wonder what exactly he did at his old job.

That's honestly probably just a sign that he learned on the job by being promoted out of his element and catching up/teaching himself everything. I don't think it's a bad thing, as long as he's asking the right questions and admitting when he doesn't know something.

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

On the subject of Sales people...
I'm at a pretty small startup. Pretty much everything we use/do is currently SaaS based.
(We have zero infrastructure aside of switches/firewalls in the office currently)

We had a new "Account Executive" start recently...
She opted to use Outlook for her mail....
(we give people a lot of flexibility, the can choose OS X or Windows and what email client they want to use, etc, and we are pretty supportive)

;-*: My mail doesn't arrive IMMEDIATELY, it's very frustrating!? It can sometimes take a whole MINUTE!! This is not acceptable!

:psyduck: Well, we use Google Apps, so sometimes it can take a minute or so for mail to arrive in Outlook.
If you need the mail immediately, there is always the option of using the browser, that's the quickest way, and a lot of users here opt to do that it way just for that reason.

;-*: Well...my old company never had this issue, all my mail would show up immediately.

:psyduck: Well, you probably used Exchange at your old company. Since Exchange and Outlook were pretty much designed to work together, and I would guess your Exchange server was most likely on-premises, so I'm sure it came in a lot faster. (I know her old company was much larger...so I assumed)

;-*: Oh, yeah! We did use an Exchange server. You should go ahead and put one of those in. I mean, it can't be that much more expensive, and is probably a pretty quick install, right?

:psyboom: Let me just whip one of those up right now...give me 15 minutes.... :psyboom:

I mean she's nice and all, and part of it is probably just culture shock of coming from a large company. My issue is just more with the assumption that everything is magical and quick!

metavisual fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 22, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It totally blows my mind the number of people who fail to realise that their new company does things differently to their old company, and assume it's because you haven't heard of the products they are used to.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Thanks Ants posted:

It totally blows my mind the number of people who fail to realise that their new company does things differently to their old company, and assume it's because you haven't heard of the products they are used to.

And you rarely hear about all the bullshit they had to put up with at the old company, just the one feature that they liked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

So true! I always think in my mind..."If your last co. was so drat great, why did you leave (not to mention for a place that is the polar opposite)?"

• Locked thread