Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
^^^It's the Samsung Chromebook 2.

roomforthetuna posted:

That's weird, I have one from about a year ago that I got for a couple of hundred bucks on woot, with some small amount of "free 3G for life" included, and it's pretty nippy. I don't think gdocs autosaving should be stopping you from carrying on doing stuff. It might be that there's a gdocs app that overrides the website implementation with something better? Or maybe you just got a really bad model.

It turns out the file was corrupt, so I may have unfairly maligned my Chromebook. I was so overjoyed when I was finally able to recover my research, I didn't stop to see if the lag was still there typing in Docs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
Game capturing/streaming with a Laptop - good idea, feasible, or pure misery? What am I looking for in a laptop to do so?

I've streamed everything I've done on my PS4 for over a year now. I haven't really been disappointed in it per say, I kind of went into it on a whim and it just kept going. But, it's restrictive compared to a proper set up, while losing out on a variety of other applications that would be fun to have. Another laptop around would be of great use, so I've been saving up to buy what I need, but I'm really lost on getting a machine to do it proper. Done what the OP suggests and looked for some Lenovo things at the 640 price, and thought something like this one might work. Though again, not real sure what qualifiers I need to be looking for.

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla

Bob Morales posted:

I just got outbid on a T440S for $435 if you can stretch your budget

I could probably swing that. Is it worth getting over the 420?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
If you can live with the ridiculous trackpad/point and to a lesser degree keyboard, then I'd say yes if it comes with a better screen.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I got an Asus c300 chromebook a few months ago and it was definitely worth the $130 sale price. For basic internet stuff and learning Linux you can't go wrong. They definitely have their place in the market at least until Windows 10 starts coming free on everything.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

GeauxSteve posted:

I could probably swing that. Is it worth getting over the 420?

A couple years newer, faster CPU and graphics, much better screen, better battery life.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Lothire posted:

Game capturing/streaming with a Laptop - good idea, feasible, or pure misery? What am I looking for in a laptop to do so?

I've streamed everything I've done on my PS4 for over a year now. I haven't really been disappointed in it per say, I kind of went into it on a whim and it just kept going. But, it's restrictive compared to a proper set up, while losing out on a variety of other applications that would be fun to have. Another laptop around would be of great use, so I've been saving up to buy what I need, but I'm really lost on getting a machine to do it proper. Done what the OP suggests and looked for some Lenovo things at the 640 price, and thought something like this one might work. Though again, not real sure what qualifiers I need to be looking for.

Well, if you're gaming and streaming, your budget needs to look more like 1000$+ to not have it be a really lovely experience/have it be an upgrade or even comaprable to a PS4 at all. Best bet is going to be one of the Sager/Clevo machines from xoticpc, just look for anything with a real quad core (-qm on the end of the model number) and an nvidia GTX965 or greater.

For gaming and streaming it in general though I'd just get a desktop. If you want another laptop just to have around get a chromebook or tablet or something :shrug: ?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Lothire posted:

Have you considered getting an external capture card to lug around? They aren't that big and you can do 1080p back through to your PC without much issue in my experience.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Brennanite posted:

It turns out the file was corrupt, so I may have unfairly maligned my Chromebook.
Are you directly opening the .docx file in Files, or did you upload it to Google Drive first (and convert it to Docs format)?

A while back Google bought Quickoffice and bundled support for local editing of Microsoft Office files in the Docs app. However, it's a lot slower, error-prone, and cumbersome than editing native Google Docs. Google/fomer Quickoffice support for Microsoft formats is worse than LibreOffice (OpenOffice) too. Sometimes I can use it to read files in a pinch, but I wouldn't bother with editing, it's a waste of time.

Chrome OS is great if Google Docs/Sheets/Slides works for you; whether you create them in Google Drive to begin with, or if you upload Microsoft Office documents to Google Drive and principally edit them there (along with your collaborators). But if you're constantly passing Microsoft-format files around and having to edit them, it just doesn't work. I'd much rather use a Surface 3 for that.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Bob Morales posted:

A couple years newer, faster CPU and graphics, much better screen, better battery life.

And a significantly worse input experience thanks to the ruined trackpad/trackpoint.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

signalnoise posted:

Have you considered getting an external capture card to lug around? They aren't that big and you can do 1080p back through to your PC without much issue in my experience.

My thoughts are to grab an Elgato HD capture card at present, and connecting the PS4 to that, then which will connect to a Laptop that can handle streaming it to twitch/etc. Elgato basic requirements state the machine needs a duo core with at least 2.0ghz processor, which seems like a fairly easy requirement looking at newegg and the like - though I also hope it strong enough to do a few other applications to "enhance the streaming experience."

I do have a grand gaming PC made in modern times that would work perfect. The only issue is that it and the console could not be located further apart from each other in the house, and I strongly dislike having to move my desktop setup to do this when a laptop should be capable (and also alleviates another issue, but that's more a side thing).

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Yeah the laptop doesn't really need to do anything except run the software that tells the card what to do, and be able to write to disk fast enough, I guess.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
I see. I appreciate the responses, makes pulling the trigger on something a bit easier! Lenovo has a lot of refurbished T440s that I'm looking at, and I'm really interested in giving the brand a try. I notice a lot of different processors being in a similar price bracket though, 1.90ghz and 2.60ghz mostly. Am I right in thinking there's a lot of power difference between them?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Those are ultra low voltage chips that will turbo up when you need it. From say 1.6GHz to 2.6GHz in the case of the lowest available CPU, the 4200U

plotskee
Mar 10, 2010

Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away. For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land.
Ugh I can't catch up on the last thousand posts. But this is specific enough it probably hasn't been addressed:

I need suggestions for a laptop, preferably 14", with a motherfucking bright screen. Bonus points for gigabit ethernet. Used in direct/indirect sunlight and my current machine is killing me. Specs not super important, I built a nice desktop and will be remoting into it.

Also if anyone wants to buy a great y510p let me know and I'll SAMart it.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
A friend of mine is an accountant that wants a number pad on their laptop, as they do enough work with it to warrant the permanent status of the keys versus using an usb external one.

What's the best Thinkpad (or any?) that has that? I know that the larger keyboard means bigger monitor which means cheaper components, which my friend is pretty happy about.

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla

TopherCStone posted:

And a significantly worse input experience thanks to the ruined trackpad/trackpoint.

How bad is the trackpad on these things?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

plotskee posted:

laptop, preferably 14", with a motherfucking bright screen.

You probably want something with 330+ nits of brightness. Good luck.

You can get gig-e USB 3.0 Ethernet adapters for pretty cheap these days

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
So work is getting me a MSI GE62 Apache Pro. Seemed like the beefiest specs for the price (I have a spare samsung 850 pro that I ended up not needing so ill chuck that in there).

Anything I need to look out for?

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

GeauxSteve posted:

How bad is the trackpad on these things?

I had a whole diatribe written, but let me give you the short version: very few Windows trackpads are good, and personally I don't think the Lenovo click pad thing is great, but some people prefer it (apparently there are some slight differences even among similar models, the T440s uses a different material from the other 440 models.). I am anti-trackpad in general, and on my Thinkpads I use the Trackpoint (red clitoris mouse embedded in the keyboard) exclusively. So I just disable the trackpad in the driver settings and don't worry about it. Unfortunately, on the -40 model Thinkpads, they replaced the 3 discrete mouse buttons with sort of an integrated strip thing. I find that to be a huge pain in the rear end that doesn't work nearly as well as the older solution.

If it were me, I'd get a T430 at the latest (unfortunately the displays on these aren't great, make sure to get on with a 1600x900 panel so you have a usable resolution) until the -50 series is cheap on the used market. But that really comes down to how much it matters to you. If you could try one in person somehow (maybe you know somebody who works at a company that issues them, or a school or something and they'll let you gently caress around with one for a few minutes) you'd be able to tell whether it'll work or not.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
My cheap and lovely laptop is acting all weird on me, so I have started to casually look at laptops for the first time in years. As such, I am sort of clueless hardware wise.

Is something like this worth it? I like the 2 in 1 design, but i'm not really sure if it's worth it. I have always had good luck with Asus, though. Also, my budget kind of sucks since I'm paying for school out of pocket, so $500 or so was where I was going to try and call it. I'm also not really a gamer anymore, but I do dabble at times. Any feedback or suggestions?

http://www.amazon.com/Convertible-Touchscreen-15-6-Inch-Laptop-500GB/dp/B00MA7A876/ref=cm_wl_huc_item

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

enigmahfc posted:

My cheap and lovely laptop is acting all weird on me, so I have started to casually look at laptops for the first time in years. As such, I am sort of clueless hardware wise.

Is something like this worth it? I like the 2 in 1 design, but i'm not really sure if it's worth it. I have always had good luck with Asus, though. Also, my budget kind of sucks since I'm paying for school out of pocket, so $500 or so was where I was going to try and call it. I'm also not really a gamer anymore, but I do dabble at times. Any feedback or suggestions?

http://www.amazon.com/Convertible-Touchscreen-15-6-Inch-Laptop-500GB/dp/B00MA7A876/ref=cm_wl_huc_item

It transforms into a 5lb, 10"x15" tablet. Awesome.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
1366*768

:negative:

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
So I take that as...no...?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

enigmahfc posted:

That is a bad computer, don't spend money on it.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
Hello laptop thread, I need to buy a gaming laptop. I know, I know, it's a bad idea - but it's for my wife who has specific needs. She basically can't sit at a desktop for any great length of time, and as such she mostly plays whatever she can on her decidedly non-gaming-laptop (a pretty sad experience) despite having a great desktop of her own. There's also another special concern: her eyesight isn't great, so what would be best for her would be a large but low DPI screen. She usually plays games without UI scale at lower than native resolution just to be able to see properly. I know everything is going towards high DPI, so since that probably won't be an option, I'm happy to just focus on making sure the screen is physically large.

Portability, weight, battery life and heat are not important at all - she will be playing primarily from a lap desk on the couch or in bed (lapdesks are pretty good heat insulators).

Performance doesn't have to be top shelf or anything either - again, she usually plays low resolution and also often turns off most post proccessing effects that make things hard to see. She certianly isn't a stickler for quality. The most demanding thing she'd want to play (if that) is The Sims 4 on low settings. 95% of the time she just plays one of Sims 2 or 3, WoW, Minecraft, XCom, Diablo 3, Saints Row or Civ 5.

What would work well here? Y50? $900+ is a bit more than I was hoping to spend on this :/

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

enigmahfc posted:

If you're really on a super tight budget, and really only need the laptop for school, the HP Stream 11 or the Asus X205 are both good options around the $200 mark.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

In the market for a laptop for the first time in 7 years, and I'm pretty lost. Based on the OP I believe I'm in the market for a Lenovo T440 or something similar. I just need something for casual use, and casual gaming. I just perused the Lenovo Outlet website, and most of what I see is within my price range ($500-$900). Anything I should watch out for? Again, I'm going into this pretty blind.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Mr. Wynand posted:

Hello laptop thread, I need to buy a gaming laptop. I know, I know, it's a bad idea - but it's for my wife who has specific needs.

Is streaming gaming a thing yet? Could you buy a lower-power laptop and let the workhorse desktop you already have do the gaming?

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

teagone posted:

If you're really on a super tight budget, and really only need the laptop for school, the HP Stream 11 or the Asus X205 are both good options around the $200 mark.

I can go around $500 or so, I just haven't been able t do much legwork on research yet. It's also not a "have it this very second" kind of deal, so there's that.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

enigmahfc posted:

I can go around $500 or so, I just haven't been able t do much legwork on research yet. It's also not a "have it this very second" kind of deal, so there's that.

I would take the HP Stream 11 over any consumer laptop $500 or less. Your best deal if you want a workhorse, mainstream machine and don't really need battery life / portability is to find a used T420 or T430 for really cheap.

Edit: A Stream really would likely meet your needs, and a new under warranty $200 laptop will get you through until whenever you want or need something more.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 22, 2015

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Mr. Wynand posted:

Hello laptop thread, I need to buy a gaming laptop. I know, I know, it's a bad idea - but it's for my wife who has specific needs. She basically can't sit at a desktop for any great length of time, and as such she mostly plays whatever she can on her decidedly non-gaming-laptop (a pretty sad experience) despite having a great desktop of her own. There's also another special concern: her eyesight isn't great, so what would be best for her would be a large but low DPI screen. She usually plays games without UI scale at lower than native resolution just to be able to see properly. I know everything is going towards high DPI, so since that probably won't be an option, I'm happy to just focus on making sure the screen is physically large.

Portability, weight, battery life and heat are not important at all - she will be playing primarily from a lap desk on the couch or in bed (lapdesks are pretty good heat insulators).

Performance doesn't have to be top shelf or anything either - again, she usually plays low resolution and also often turns off most post proccessing effects that make things hard to see. She certianly isn't a stickler for quality. The most demanding thing she'd want to play (if that) is The Sims 4 on low settings. 95% of the time she just plays one of Sims 2 or 3, WoW, Minecraft, XCom, Diablo 3, Saints Row or Civ 5.

What would work well here? Y50? $900+ is a bit more than I was hoping to spend on this :/

If you have a great gaming desktop already, check out steam inhome streaming- You don't need to get a laptop with a super powerful GPU then, you can get most anything (Pick based on the screen I guess) and then use the powerful desktop to stream the game to the laptop.

The only problem is that laptops with huge low res screens generally tend to also be pieces of poo poo that fall apart. Something like http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np2670-clevo-w670srq-p-6517.html or http://www.xoticpc.com/force-1757-24012-860m-msi-ge70-apachepro-barebones-p-7178.html isn't a bad choice. They both have 17" 1080 screens, but you can always lower the resolution or crank the DPI.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Grundulum posted:

Is streaming gaming a thing yet? Could you buy a lower-power laptop and let the workhorse desktop you already have do the gaming?

Welcome to the future, it is awesome

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I stream from my Sager to my Surface Pro 3

Refused
Sep 6, 2005
I'm looking at buying a new Y50 and have a question about which model I should go for (here). I'm mainly looking at the 59440666 or 59440654.

Is upgrading from the 860MX 2 GB to the 960MX 4 GB and getting 16 GB of RAM instead of 8 worth it? I don't intend to play new games on super high settings or anything, but I don't mind spending the extra money if it's good value. Is there any practical difference in the network cards (Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 vs. WIFI AC Wireless (2x2))? I'm pretty oblivious as far as pc specs these days goes.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Refused posted:

I'm looking at buying a new Y50 and have a question about which model I should go for (here). I'm mainly looking at the 59440666 or 59440654.

Is upgrading from the 860MX 2 GB to the 960MX 4 GB and getting 16 GB of RAM instead of 8 worth it? I don't intend to play new games on super high settings or anything, but I don't mind spending the extra money if it's good value. Is there any practical difference in the network cards (Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 vs. WIFI AC Wireless (2x2))? I'm pretty oblivious as far as pc specs these days goes.

Out of the options you'd listed, I'd say that the upgrade to a 960M is worth it if you're going to be playing games often, the RAM upgrade isn't worth it, and Intel wifi is definitely better.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Refused posted:

Functionally no real difference between the two. You don't need 16 gigs for gaming and a 4gig card, while nice, isn't really worth it on a low power card like the 860m.

Optikalusion
Feb 21, 2007
The better you look the more you see
I've just ordered up a new thinkpad yoga 14 with dedicated graphics card. So far I like pretty much everything about it.... Except I'm about to throw it out the window thanks to the wifi problems I'm having
There's an Intel AC 7625 card in here and it is the spawn of satan - been messing around with it for days and can't get it to connect for more than a few minutes without dropping signal, network changing to 'limited', or not seeing any 5ghz networks at all. There are pages and pages of people with this problem but no clear fix in view. And I've tried everything I've read so far.
Rarely been so frustrated at a computer but I see absolutely no way to fix this. Lenovo are of course clueless.
I assume I can just install another wireless card? Sucks to go to such extremes for a brand new laptop but this is insane

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Baxta posted:

So work is getting me a MSI GE62 Apache Pro. Seemed like the beefiest specs for the price (I have a spare samsung 850 pro that I ended up not needing so ill chuck that in there).

Anything I need to look out for?

Kind of excited to hear your thoughts about this machine when you get it. Particularly in regards to build quality and system noise under light use (web browsing, video streaming).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

Functionally no real difference between the two. You don't need 16 gigs for gaming and a 4gig card, while nice, isn't really worth it on a low power card like the 860m.

He was talking about upgrading from an 860m, which is a 7 series based card, to a 960m, which is Maxwell. That's a pretty good jump regardless of the VRAM.