Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Mr. Neutron posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcp44d4gW0U

Great begginer's guide. Maybe put it into OP?

i dunno they haven't put mine in and its much better than this.

E:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVV9CFg26-c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCJXngeYa00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twl1AdnagrY

I'll be adding Kano Part 2 today then going into defensive and offensive moves such as wakeups, dashing, running, rolling, blocks in the video after that.

I'm not touching frames yet because that poo poo is a lot of numbers to new people and a lot of the frame things are broken in MKX currently.

Al Borland fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Apr 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Johnny: You shouldn't be here.
Shinnok: You question me?
Johnny: Okay: Why an rear end for a face?

Johnny: How ya doin', Loo-Loo?
Liu Kang: Consider to whom you speak.
Johnny: Sorry. Mister Loo-Loo.

:allears:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Erron Black seems like a monster

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ermac having a bug kind of at least fits with his character history

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
There was another update for the PS4 version when I booted up this morning. Anyone know what it was for? Maybe it included a fix for that Ermac thing?

Gameplay question: When I use a move that as "armor," why can an opponent sometimes get through that armor and ruin my attack? Like when I do Goro's X-ray, but the opponent will sometimes just punch me and stop me dead in my tracks.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
In case you're wondering, Spectral Ermac is banned at North West Majors (which starts this friday). NRS games don't generally do well on streams anyway but the MKX finals will be at 11 AM FGCPST Sunday if yall non fighting game types want to watch.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Jamesman posted:

There was another update for the PS4 version when I booted up this morning. Anyone know what it was for? Maybe it included a fix for that Ermac thing?

Gameplay question: When I use a move that as "armor," why can an opponent sometimes get through that armor and ruin my attack? Like when I do Goro's X-ray, but the opponent will sometimes just punch me and stop me dead in my tracks.

Anything that is multi-hit will break armour. All armoured moves can only take 1 hit(except ex punchwalk which can take 2), then another will put you into hitstun as normal. X-ray moves auto armour break as well.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

Jamesman posted:

I assumed that all X-Rays had infinite armor, so that shouldn't happen. I could also be wrong and it varies by character.

But most EX wakeup attacks only have one hit of armor (Exceptions: Goro's EX Punchwalk has multiple hits of armor, Lackey Torr has straight up invincibility in EX charge). So you can use a quick two hit move or string to beat many/most ex wakeup options.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I really like Cassie but I gotta play as her dad because any time she takes a hit I REALLY hate her groan scream it is way too much.

Question about Erron Black's story/background (spoilers I guess but may not be):

Wasn't there something at one point that said EB was her granddad or dad?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Diabetic posted:

I really like Cassie but I gotta play as her dad because any time she takes a hit I REALLY hate her groan scream it is way too much.

Question about Erron Black's story/background (spoilers I guess but may not be):

Wasn't there something at one point that said EB was her granddad or dad?

Uh, what? No. There's nothing that implies they're related.

EB's a human from the cowboy western era that ended up in Outworld and had his aging slowed by Shao Khan.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

In the fake leaks, Erron's name "real" name was Salazar Blade. That is probably what you are thinking of.

Those same leaks said deception outfits for Mileena and Subzero so the harsh reality of not having those hurts :(

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Foodahn posted:

I assumed that all X-Rays had infinite armor, so that shouldn't happen. I could also be wrong and it varies by character.

It does't. All Xrays have 3 hits of armor so they are pretty much impossible to interrupt, unlike MK9's.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Evil Canadian posted:

In the fake leaks, Erron's name "real" name was Salazar Blade. That is probably what you are thinking of.

Those same leaks said deception outfits for Mileena and Subzero so the harsh reality of not having those hurts :(

poo poo that must've been it, now I am sad cause I thought I would get Shredder Sub-Zero. :(

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Romes128 posted:

Uh, what? No. There's nothing that implies they're related.

EB's a human from the cowboy western era that ended up in Outworld and had his aging slowed by Shao Khan.

His arcade ending says it was done by Shang Tsung, and it implied that Black was made immortal so he'd live long enough to assassinate Shinnok when given the chance. Although that's kind of undermined by the final shot where Black murders the Kombat Kidz for some reason.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
So for all the MK9 characters the alternate "Tournament" costumes are their main MK9 outfits. Klassic Johnny Cage, all day, every day! :D

Except for Mileena for some reason???

I actually like Mileena's tournament costume, but I don't see why they called it Tournament. Doesn't resemble her MK9 outfit. It just seems like a totally new alternate costume.

Did they decide her MK9 outfit was just too striperiffic? Kinda weird that Kitana still got hers, since essentially the same thing except that Kitana has some cloth hanging in front of her thong.

I totally dig Mileena's empress costume (however you spell it, begins with K), I think it is intentionally reminiscent of her Deception design.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

your evil twin posted:

So for all the MK9 characters the alternate "Tournament" costumes are their main MK9 outfits. Klassic Johnny Cage, all day, every day! :D

Except for Mileena for some reason???

Raiden's tournament costume is his MK1 outfit, plain white clothing with a straw hat. Why is it labeled as tournament and not Klassic? NRS only knows.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Jamesman posted:

quote:

Krypt Switches Fix
Sony Entertainment Network account Sign In fix
Leaderboard Fix
Purchasing Easy Fatality Fix
Text Fixes
Ed says it'll come to Xbox One and European PS4s "soon".

looking.glass.eyes
May 21, 2007

“The eye sees a thing more clearly in dreams than the imagination awake.” -Leonardo da Vinci
I joined the Steam community and added my self to the spreadsheet. If any PC folks want to play, I'm around most nights, feel free to add me: http://steamcommunity.com/id/hexonxonx/

Full disclosure, I kinda suck...so if there are any good patient people who are willing to give some advice and help, that would be cool too.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mr. Neutron posted:

It does't. All Xrays have 3 hits of armor so they are pretty much impossible to interrupt, unlike MK9's.

Does the armor not start up right away, then? Because I can get punched out of an X-ray sometimes and it makes me sad.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I'm getting much better :shobon: I can pretty reliably pull of a 29% 13 hit combo and a few that do a little less damage, and I can see how I could even keep those combos going if I can just get the timing down to where its completely rote. Things are clicking.

Finally went online and played against some other players. My first opponent pulled off like 3 combos in a row that completely killed me, flawless victory. Wow. After that it matched me up against players more my speed and I managed to win 3 out of 5.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 22, 2015

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
So what the hell outfit is Mileena's tournament then? I don't recognise it from any of the games, seems completely new.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Actually now I"m not sure. I can't find any loving pictures of the costumes online so I'm having to work from memory.

The official MKX website is a total joke.

Seriously, try to find a picture or a video anywhere on the internet of the tournament skins, its a mess.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
Has anyone actually got the "Contribute 2000 War Points to your faction" background? I've contributed at least 900 out of the 1000 cap a day and still only have the 1000 one.

Wonder if it has to do with the Faction Servers CONSTANTLY being hosed.

Also I finally got to the War Page, but today's challenges are blank. Man, still a mess I see.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Al Borland posted:

I think ultimately Black Dragon will be the faction I join after unlocking all the poo poo from the rest of them.

Do you get any costumes from the factions? Cause if not then Black Dragon for life.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

Fibby Boy posted:

Do you get any costumes from the factions? Cause if not then Black Dragon for life.

Join just for the title of "Goon." That's worth the price of admission alone.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I know I've been slack about updating the OP, so if anyone wants to list a bunch of crap you think I should put there, go ahead.

I made a gamer tag spreadsheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MLXze60P0oDu3tmAPh7EU1fbFS4IMOwxnjtKWccVPK8/edit?usp=sharing

looking.glass.eyes
May 21, 2007

“The eye sees a thing more clearly in dreams than the imagination awake.” -Leonardo da Vinci
Is there a list somewhere of what character is in which faction and if so maybe add it to the OP? It seems surprisingly hard to find a definitive list anywhere (or I suck at Google? :shrug:) and I have no idea who is in Black Dragon other than Kano.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

looking.glass.eyes posted:

Is there a list somewhere of what character is in which faction and if so maybe add it to the OP? It seems surprisingly hard to find a definitive list anywhere (or I suck at Google? :shrug:) and I have no idea who is in Black Dragon other than Kano.

Kano
Kabal (When he was alive)
Tremor

As for people who aren't in this game:
Jarek
Tasia
No Face
Kira
Kobra

The Black Dragon is pretty slim on members.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I always wanted No Face to be a playable character but it turns out, my dream can come true as long as you're fighting scorpion

looking.glass.eyes
May 21, 2007

Fibby Boy posted:

Kano
Kabal (When he was alive)
Tremor

As for people who aren't in this game:
Jarek
Tasia
No Face
Kira
Kobra

The Black Dragon is pretty slim on members.

Wow...then right now, if you choose Black Dragon it means Kano is the only in-faction character available for you until DLC is released? And somehow Black Dragon is still more popular than Special Forces.

Moacher
Oct 10, 2007

In a few moments my neighbor is going to exit this building's ground floor, out onto the sidewalk. According to my math, from this height, I can kill him by pissing on him.

Wow...then right now, if you choose Black Dragon it means Kano is the only in-faction character available for you until DLC is released? And somehow Black Dragon is still more popular than Special Forces.

It doesn't matter though? The factions are purely meta-game.

EDIT: The factions might as well be called "Team Red", "Team Blue", etc. and have no effect on who you can play as.

Moacher fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 22, 2015

looking.glass.eyes
May 21, 2007

Moacher posted:

Right, but even so I would have thought they'd want to try to have some balance in the number of members per faction for...reasons?

Ok so I don't actually know why I want numerical balance. It just seemed to me like it would have/should have been a thing I guess.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I think if they just replaced Special Forces with Shirai Ryu and slapped a big picture of Scorpion on there, it'd be a lot more even.

Moacher
Oct 10, 2007

In a few moments my neighbor is going to exit this building's ground floor, out onto the sidewalk. According to my math, from this height, I can kill him by pissing on him.

Right, but even so I would have thought they'd want to try to have some balance in the number of members per faction for...reasons?

Ok so I don't actually know why I want numerical balance. It just seemed to me like it would have/should have been a thing I guess.

I see what you mean, but yeah, it's basically the exact opposite of that.

Lin Kuei is really just Sub-Zero. Black Dragon is just Kano.
Special forces is Sonya, Jax, Johnny, Kenshi, Cassie, Kung Jin, Takeda, and Jacqui.
and there's no "Outworld" faction for Kotal, Ermac, Reptile, FerraTorr, Erron, and D'Vorah.

It's about as unbalanced as you can get.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Playable characters don't really matter for faction; the only thing that matters is which characters might show up for faction kills, like Smoke.

If you like Smoke go ice-ninja-clan, even if you play as Quan-Chi or whatever. You know?

Moacher posted:

EDIT: The factions might as well be called "Team Red", "Team Blue", etc. and have no effect on who you can play as.

Because of the faction fatalities they do matter a little bit. But not for which character you play. Quan-Chi can join Raiden's faction, Raiden can join the Special Forces, etc.

I thought it'd be cool if playing the character of a faction got you bonus.

loving Netherrealm either needs to completely overhaul the faction system or admit it is broken and gut it. Nobody other than ice ninja clan is ever going to win. There's no mechanics in place to balance the factions at all and for such a huge community personal impact makes such a little difference that you have only 2 options:

Pick the winning clan (ice ninjas)

or pick the clan which gives you the faction kill fatalities you prefer, and then slowly grind it.

Its a cool idea that was just unfortunately half-assed and badly designed. And it doesn't help that the servers are down more often than they're up.

Yeah, it'd be nice but the MK factions don't really divide up evenly like that. Scorpion has his own faction, Sub-zero has a faction with other people in it but not really playable characters, Raiden is just kinda a good guy who teams up with the Asian dudes? Then there's some US forces I guess, oh and then there's the "bad guys". :rolleyes:

I think the whole MK story is a loving disaster and they should retcon the whole thing and start over again.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Moacher posted:

I see what you mean, but yeah, it's basically the exact opposite of that.

Lin Kuei is really just Sub-Zero. Black Dragon is just Kano.
Special forces is Sonya, Jax, Johnny, Kenshi, Cassie, Kung Jin, Takeda, and Jacqui.
and there's no "Outworld" faction for Kotal, Ermac, Reptile, FerraTorr, Erron, and D'Vorah.

It's about as unbalanced as you can get.

Technically D'Vorah is all about Brotherhood of Shadows.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Obligatory "The Black Dragon Live On!" reference.

Moacher
Oct 10, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

loving Netherrealm either needs to completely overhaul the faction system or admit it is broken and gut it. Nobody other than ice ninja clan is ever going to win. There's no mechanics in place to balance the factions at all and for such a huge community personal impact makes such a little difference that you have only 2 options:

It's insane that they didn't see this coming, and there seems to be no move toward fixing it yet. Lin Kuei faction enrollment only went UP after the end of the first week's war.

EDIT:

Fibby Boy posted:

Technically D'Vorah is all about Brotherhood of Shadows.

Well, yeah.

Moacher fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 22, 2015

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
How do you unlock Klassic Sub Zero? I thought it was included for free in the latest patch but I don't have it. (on PC if that matters)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Moacher posted:

It's insane that they didn't see this coming, and there seems to be no move toward fixing it yet. Lin Kuei faction enrollment only went UP after the end of the first week's war.

Which is entirely predictable.

Like I said, your options are either go Lin Kuei or go against the grain and sloooooowly grind out faction kill fatalities if you REALLY want those. Ends up most people don't care enough and just go Lin Kuei.

Its what should logically follow based on the rules of faction war that NRS created. Everybody flocks to the winning team and the winning team just wins even more, which causes more people to flock to it. Its really stupid design.

Make it so you have to pick the faction of your main character or you get bonus faction points for playing on a character of that faction and it'd encourage some diversity in factions, but since factions aren't evenly divided between characters that wouldn't work so hot either.

You could also assign factions at random and make it so that switching them isn't easy, but then that's frustrating to players who don't like their assigned faction.

Buuuuuut there's tons of other answers, like: make it so that you get bonus personal koins when you're contributing points to a losing faction.

Now you get the situation where people who only play a little go Lin Kuei to get the faction war points, but people who are playing all day would end up earning more in personal bonuses for fighting for a losing clan than they'd get in winnings for being part of Lin Kuei. That then encourages the good players to switch to other factions, which then causes other factions to start beating up on Lin Kuei. Then all the bad players would switch to one of the new teams when it becomes the majority, which would then trigger the good players to switch to yet another faction. It would slowly balance itself out, rather than slowly getting worse and worse.

• Locked thread