Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Immortal Wombat
Jan 19, 2005

Everliving Marsupial
Ugh. gently caress this gay game.

Just spent an autismal amount of time creating a massive circular road plan with bus routes and trains and metros and the moment I unpause for people to start moving in I get a never ending string of object reference errors that doesn't go away even after restarts.

Rage quitting until it's more stable.

But I fixed it because I am super smart

Immortal Wombat fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Immortal Wombat posted:

Just spent an autismal amount of time creating a massive circular road plan with bus routes and trains and metros and the moment I unpause for people to start moving in I get a never ending string of object reference errors that doesn't go away even after restarts.

Rage quitting until it's more stable.

Do you have both the Traffic Control and Lane Control (or whatever it's called) mods? I think they conflict.

BallsFalls
Oct 18, 2013

Immortal Wombat posted:

Don't blame the game for lovely mods

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Domattee posted:

I haven't driven in America before but do people seriously struggle with basic right-of-way there?

Depending on where you live people struggle just driving in a straight line. LA has tons of traffic so if you can't drive you get weeded out quick, but if you're in a suburb then lol watch everyone spin out and go crazy because it is barely raining.

Clanpot Shake posted:

People in America get really mad at you when you refuse their politeness and strictly adhere to the right of way. It's kind of hilarious. Like how dare you turn down this NICE THING I DID FOR YOU?! nevermind that going out of turn puts people at risk.

Another thing that is super prevalent in the suburbs. I get that they're trying to be nice but it just ends up causing more traffic and more bother.

I want to make a .gif of a busy intersection but I have never made one or used screen capture technology. Help? Just point me to the programs you guys are using and I can go from there.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I just used GIFcam.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

BallsFalls posted:

We're almost at Elder Scrolls level of mod jackassery. All we have left is for someone to program a mod manager and then the rest of us can post our load lists

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
We're not at TES levels of mod jackassery until someone mods all the cims to be naked and even then that would only be scratching the surface.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Requesting mod that turns all my cims into

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iRZ2Sh5-XuM

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

We're not at TES levels of mod jackassery until someone mods all the cims to be naked and even then that would only be scratching the surface.

I'd like to give everyone a horse penis too. Cities: Second Life, here I come.

Barn Owl
Oct 29, 2005
"text"

Moridin920 posted:

Depending on where you live people struggle just driving in a straight line. LA has tons of traffic so if you can't drive you get weeded out quick, but if you're in a suburb then lol watch everyone spin out and go crazy because it is barely raining.

Another thing that is super prevalent in the suburbs. I get that they're trying to be nice but it just ends up causing more traffic and more bother.

I want to make a .gif of a busy intersection but I have never made one or used screen capture technology. Help? Just point me to the programs you guys are using and I can go from there.

I've driven in a lot of places, California drivers don't get commended enough. With the crazy numbers at play in the bay area and southern California the traffic clusterfucks are really not as bad as the could be. 880 was always bumper to bumper, but sometimes at up to 70mph and people would still signal and let you in.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Barn Owl posted:

I've driven in a lot of places, California drivers don't get commended enough. With the crazy numbers at play in the bay area and southern California the traffic clusterfucks are really not as bad as the could be. 880 was always bumper to bumper, but sometimes at up to 70mph and people would still signal and let you in.

I rather liked NYC driving too. The streets are complete anarchy but everyone makes it work somehow. If you gently caress up yeah they give you the business but when things are going well people let cars in when they need to and drive when they can.

Immortal Wombat
Jan 19, 2005

Everliving Marsupial

necrotic posted:

Do you have both the Traffic Control and Lane Control (or whatever it's called) mods? I think they conflict.

I have traffic manager and traffic ++?

BallsFalls posted:

But it was working fine the last time I played and I haven't added anything or done anything new :psyduck:

Also the support forums on steam say the object reference error loop is a known bug they are working on.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Immortal Wombat posted:

But it was working fine the last time I played and I haven't added anything or done anything new :psyduck:

Also the support forums on steam say the object reference error loop is a known bug they are working on.

Dunno about that error specifically but if a mod you are subscribed to gets updated/changed then it will autoupdate without telling you so presumably you can run it one day, come back the next and it won't run right.

This happened to me already.

Also Traffic Manager and Traffic++ aren't compatible. Traffic Manager also doesn't work with Lane Changer or Toggle Traffic Lights.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
It should be pretty drat obvious that different mods that affect the same functionality are not going to be compatible.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900
Just put this in bold in the OP: If there's a mod you want, Traffic++ isn't compatible with it.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The Traffic Manager mod says right in its description what mods its incompatible with. Read it first before installing it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Cities: Skylines - Installing Traffic Manager Mods: YOU'LL REGRET THIS

Immortal Wombat
Jan 19, 2005

Everliving Marsupial
I feel like I read that traffic ++ DID work with traffic manager (and I actually had them working together for a few days). I probably just misread the mod description the first time but I remember wondering specifically if they were compatible and not seeing an issue. I'd like to think that the description changed recently but in all likelihood I'm just a retard who can't read. :(

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Moridin920 posted:

gooncam

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gooncam/

edit: Thanks to the goon who posted about the google earth random image for new tabs in chrome this is fascinating

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

mr. nobody posted:

gooncam

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gooncam/

edit: Thanks to the goon who posted about the google earth random image for new tabs in chrome this is fascinating

can't edit in an attachment:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tybolt
Jul 27, 2014
I can't handle all these dead bodies and garbage.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Tybolt posted:

Things no real mayor has ever said.

Corn Burst
Jun 18, 2004

Blammo!

Tybolt posted:

A shameful mayor.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

I want a policy that will allow me to put bodies in the dump for a negative land value modifier. They'll get picked up by garbage trucks and everything.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

The building level control mod is pretty nice. Locking high density residential to level 3 enables something resembling medium density.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The only downside is that mid level buildings leave a lot of empty gaps and with the enormous roads it makes everything look really barren. It only gets worse when you're building roads at weird angles.

Filling the holes with trees works to an extent, but it would be better if the midlevel stuff would build out parking lots or landscaping to fill the available space.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

xzzy posted:

Filling the holes with trees works to an extent, but it would be better if the midlevel stuff would build out parking lots or landscaping to fill the available space.

I maintain hope that CO's definition of wall-to-wall buildings extends to stuff like this.

I know it won't happen but I can dream. :unsmith:

Penultimatum
Apr 2, 2010

popewiles posted:

I want a policy that will allow me to put bodies in the dump for a negative land value modifier. They'll get picked up by garbage trucks and everything.

I think it'd be kind of funny if there was a "recycling tanks" building that produced basic industrial resources from dead bodies. Basically I just want a complete set of mods for Cities: Alpha Centauri.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Soylent Green Factories. :v:

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Is there an easier way to build highways that curve? I can't get them lined up and it leaves weird gaps between them

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

kaujot posted:

Is there an easier way to build highways that curve? I can't get them lined up and it leaves weird gaps between them

Does anyone have the link to the road priority mod?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

kaujot posted:

Build it in segments using the curve tool, where you specify a direction and endpoint for each segment. After each segment build a small perpendicular road piece out from the new end, using a two-lane road. Continue until you've built the entire highway you want.

Now build the other side of the highway in the same direction, so both sides run the same way. Doing that makes it much easier to get matching curves.
Use the grid-snapping on the two lane roads to control spacing between the two sides of the highway.
It'll take some practice, but remember to carefully measure the position of the control point (first build step) on your curved roads. Positioning those right is central in making the spacing equal.

After building both sides of the road, use the upgrade tool right-click to flip the lane direction of one side. Then remove the helper two-lane road segments.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

kaujot posted:

I wish there was a full-width highway brush that just laid down both directions at once, like all the other roads. It seems odd that there isn't one, considering that's how they're usually used. I'm having a hard time thinking of anywhere other than interchanges and highway-based roundabouts where you don't want both directions running together, unless you're doing something unusual for aesthetic reasons.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

There's so many road configurations that would make sense to have but just don't exist. Hopefully they're fixing some of that in the Big Update for Tunnels.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Supraluminal posted:

I wish there was a full-width highway brush that just laid down both directions at once, like all the other roads. It seems odd that there isn't one, considering that's how they're usually used. I'm having a hard time thinking of anywhere other than interchanges and highway-based roundabouts where you don't want both directions running together, unless you're doing something unusual for aesthetic reasons.

Split highways are super common once you get outside population centers. Some of it is safety and cost cutting, move the lanes apart and maybe you don't have to build a giant retaining wall to prevent cars from crossing into oncoming lanes. The other reason is to route around local terrain features.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

xzzy posted:

Split highways are super common once you get outside population centers. Some of it is safety and cost cutting, move the lanes apart and maybe you don't have to build a giant retaining wall to prevent cars from crossing into oncoming lanes. The other reason is to route around local terrain features.

Yeah, of course. The brush could easily leave a median between the highway segments, just like the four-lane roads. I'd assume that would be the default mode, really.

Terrain is more of a reason to lay directions separately. I wouldn't want that option to go away or anything.

Alternately, just add real UI support for building parallel roads.

nielsm posted:

There's so many road configurations that would make sense to have but just don't exist. Hopefully they're fixing some of that in the Big Update for Tunnels.

Yeah. Three- and four-lane one-way would be nice.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Supraluminal posted:

Alternately, just add real UI support for building parallel roads.

Yeah, maybe something where you shift+click on an existing road, it lets you snap a second road along that route. That would be pretty badass.

Might generate glitches with the way the game auto-adjusts the terrain to make the surface flat but there's already a bunch of visual glitches with that component, what's one more? :v:

savetheclocktower
Sep 23, 2004

You wait and see, Mr. Caruthers. I will be president! I'll be the most powerful president in the history of America. And I'm gonna clean up this country!

TheGreySpectre posted:

That being said how do you get industry to develop late game? I have a city of about 110k with like 4% unemployment and even if my people want industry, they won't actually work at the jobs in a newly zoned area. I just get "not enough workers" icons on pretty much every building. Seems like the level 3 buildings are fine but the level 1 buildings get permastuck at level 1 since no one wants to work there.

In my current city I've had success breaking through this Catch-22. The key is to make sure everything is in place to allow industry to ascend to Level 3 really quickly — tons of parks (I use the Paradox Plaza thingy), tons of fire coverage, a police station, a bus route or two, and something random like a school or cemetery. Then zone industry. If I do it slowly enough, like an 8x8 block at a time, the new buildings will upgrade to level 3 even before they notice they don't have any employees.

Annoyingly, this doesn't work for specialized industry, which is always Level 1. I'm hoping CO fixes this at some point because it makes no sense.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

savetheclocktower posted:

Annoyingly, this doesn't work for specialized industry, which is always Level 1. I'm hoping CO fixes this at some point because it makes no sense.

Actually, if you mouse over the level bar for specialized industrial buildings, the tooltip will inform you that they always start at maximum level, for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

nielsm posted:

upgrade tool right-click to flip the lane direction of one side

I...I've wasted my life...