Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

GlyphGryph posted:

Those with vested interests in the status quou will, of course, do everything they can to stoke the idea in their departments that the treatment is an unfair witch hunt no matter what the reality of the situation. So how do we go about getting those cops we could get on board with this sort of thing to jump aboard despite institutional pressures to not do so?

I think a lot of it would come from the top down. More selectivity in who we promote. More recruiting efforts for getting quality community minded cops. Again, I'm lucky. Our force is great. And very intelligent, especially our stateies. I know that's not the case everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ActusRhesus posted:

Also re: acceptable rates of conviction...no. Quotas on verdicts will only encourage ends justify the means mentalities.

Or you'll get the Japanese 99.97% or whatever conviction rate by a combination of ends justify the means and "well, this isn't a 100% sure thing so I'll drop it because an acquittal means I will have to kill myself"

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

hobbesmaster posted:

Or you'll get the Japanese 99.97% or whatever conviction rate by a combination of ends justify the means and "well, this isn't a 100% sure thing so I'll drop it because an acquittal means I will have to kill myself"

So buh bye sex assault prosecution.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Which of course is exactly what happened in Japan.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

FuriousxGeorge posted:

In this case...racism, politics, poverty, corruption...many factors. So do you have the numbers?
This is not what that word means. The confounding variable here is that the police are a self selecting group, so it wouldn't be surprising to see that they do X at rates different from not self selecting groups (like black people). Also the police have people who aren't men. I'd expect your average police officer has more resources and a substantially better understanding of the legal system than your average black man, so you'd need a mechanism to tease apart how much of the discrepancy is caused by that. It also seems rude to ask for numbers, if you think those numbers are important, you should be finding them.

GlyphGryph posted:

We aren't legal policy experts - recognizing there is a problem and pushing to fix it are not bad things for members of the general public to do, because there are experts, presumably, who actually make a career of understanding the intricacies of complex systems like the justice system.
How do you go about "pushing to fix" a problem without proposed mechanisms? You can't just demand that things become better without believing there's an effective way to make things better.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Which of course is exactly what happened in Japan.

Word. You want to see a racist legal system, try being a Filipino victim in japan.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

twodot posted:

How do you go about "pushing to fix" a problem without proposed mechanisms? You can't just demand that things become better without believing there's an effective way to make things better.

Someone needs to come up with a name for this very stupid argument. It comes up a lot.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

twodot posted:

The proposed mechanism is raising public dialog and media coverage to make it more difficult to hide malfeasance as part of a campaign to put pressure on politicians and bureaucrats to discover and implement reforms that will reduce the severity of the many problems we have have with law enforcement policing its own, and develop effective strategies to insure that the police behave lawfully and ethically in the execution of their duties.

Which is why people get mad when folks come in here trying to downplay the problems and pretend they don't exist - it's actively undermining the most likely way to actually make things better, which is loud and persistent public demands for action and regular media coverage.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Lemming posted:

Someone needs to come up with a name for this very stupid argument. It comes up a lot.
Ok, I guess it is physically possible to demand things become better without believing there's an effective way to make them better, but why bother to do it? No one disputes that police getting away with committing crimes is in general bad, the only thing in dispute is what should be done about it. If you're here just to say that police committing crimes is bad you aren't helping the conversation.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

twodot posted:

Ok, I guess it is physically possible to demand things become better without believing there's an effective way to make them better, but why bother to do it? No one disputes that police getting away with committing crimes is in general bad, the only thing in dispute is what should be done about it. If you're here just to say that police committing crimes is bad you aren't helping the conversation.

Are you dumb? Has anyone anywhere ever in this thread said they do not believe there's an effective way to make things better? Obviously there are ways to make things better, or there wouldn't be departments that are better than others, which it very much seems like there are?

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

twodot posted:

This is not what that word means. The confounding variable here is that the police are a self selecting group, so it wouldn't be surprising to see that they do X at rates different from not self selecting groups (like black people). Also the police have people who aren't men. I'd expect your average police officer has more resources and a substantially better understanding of the legal system than your average black man, so you'd need a mechanism to tease apart how much of the discrepancy is caused by that. It also seems rude to ask for numbers, if you think those numbers are important, you should be finding them.

Yes, I know what the word means. You listed additional variables but did not offer a differing definition. What I want the numbers for is so we can evaluate if those variables actually account for the differences or if maybe police really are getting preferential treatment. There are a lot of, "But other people are aquitted too..." So I thought maybe we should quantify that.

I haven't offered an opinion on that either way, but several people have so maybe we should see if it can be backed up. If I had to hypothesize, my guess would be that around 90% of black men charged with a crime are convicted and that significantly less police charged with a crime are convicted than that. There would likely be a similar disparity all the way down the chain, but once you get to the point where there is enough evidence to charge a major disparity needs a lot more explanation I think.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Yes, I know what the word means. You listed additional variables but did not offer a differing definition. What I want the numbers for is so we can evaluate if those variables actually account for the differences or if maybe police really are getting preferential treatment. There are a lot of, "But other people are aquitted too..." So I thought maybe we should quantify that.

I haven't offered an opinion on that either way, but several people have so maybe we should see if it can be backed up. If I had to hypothesize, my guess would be that around 90% of black men charged with a crime are convicted and that significantly less police charged with a crime are convicted than that. There would likely be a similar disparity all the way down the chain, but once you get to the point where there is enough evidence to charge a major disparity needs a lot more explanation I think.

Race is a hugely important variable in arrest rates, convictions rates, length of sentence, etc. even when controlling for confounding variables. Race is often a more important variable than priors, which is insane.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

That 90% number came right out of your rear end.

That's part of my issue with this thread. People throw around what they suspect as if it is proven fact. Also, you do realize that the fact two cases were charged does not per se mean that the strength of the evidence was the same, right?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

twodot posted:

Are you kidding me? This is not true at all. There are people who think that the cop who shot Walter Scott did nothing wrong. People who are chiming in that they think the situation is hosed up is absolutely an important part of the conversation. Plenty of people are just fine with the status quo.

And the entire point of noticing the problem is to create the push for the desire to solve it, but just because you aren't an expert in lawyering or copping or legislating doesn't mean you shouldn't get to contribute to the conversation. Saying "shut the gently caress up if you don't have a solution" is 100% a way to shut down conversation. If the person doesn't have the perfect solution, then they're either told to shut the gently caress up because they don't have an idea, or to shut the gently caress up because their idea is stupid. Not everyone is going to be an expert and able to meaningfully contribute to a useful solution, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to say they think something is bad and should be changed.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Ok. But from the flip side you have people who are experts (we have cops, prosecutors and PDs in this thread) and many, not necessarily you, often tell them to stfu or worse when they try to correct demonstrably false statements. You see where that also detracts from the convo, right?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

ActusRhesus posted:

Ok. But from the flip side you have people who are experts (we have cops, prosecutors and PDs in this thread) and many, not necessarily you, often tell them to stfu or worse when they try to correct demonstrably false statements. You see where that also detracts from the convo, right?

I don't deny that the word of experts should carry more weight when we're talking about the specifics of the situation, especially in regards to how things currently work or the potential effect of ideas. However, it's also a problem when those same people try to use that expertise as a bludgeon and mix their professional and personal opinions as a way to twist arguments and cause people to think that their opinions are fact.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Lemming posted:

people try to use that expertise as a bludgeon and mix their professional and personal opinions as a way to twist arguments and cause people to think that their opinions are fact.
Wait I thought that was the entire point of D&D? :v:

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

ActusRhesus posted:

Again...source?

As an appellate attorney, a good chunk of my job is spent salvaging trial prosecutor errors. And those are just in the cases that despite the error still ended in a conviction. They really aren't as uncommon as you think.

Since Obdicut did the work I didn't(thanks!) we do have some numbers and a source.

Could you cover the comparative general population numbers to the cop ones?

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
The police suddenly forget their training and make oopsies when collecting evidence against other cops. Like prosecutor oopsies, this is in no way an institutional problem, it's just that sometimes people make mistakes overwhelmingly when police commit crimes. Do not disparage the process, citizen.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ActusRhesus posted:

There's another layer to that, though. On the internet, everyone can claim any kind of expertise, and there's no way to evaluate those claims; for example, even presuming all your statements are accurate for your experience, unless you divulge a frankly stupid amount of personal info, we have to no way to examine your situation and see if it is typical or atypical.

I.mean, I thought you were JAG? The military has enough problems with the discrepancy between treatment of top brass and enlisted when they commit similar crimes (see: Petraeus) for me to easily believe they have no smaller scale problems. But don't answer that, because then you'd be confirming or denying that you were JAG, and really posting that kind of personal info in these debates is just dumb. End of the day you're just tossing out ammo for personal attacks. I don't car about poster expertise or anecdotes, I care about citeable sources.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Zeitgueist posted:

Since Obdicut did the work I didn't(thanks!) we do have some numbers and a source.

Could you cover the comparative general population numbers to the cop ones?

No. Because as has been pointed out there are too many variables to make a direct comparison possible. Strength of evidence? Rate of local office? Some are better than others. Willingness of defendant to deal? Prior criminal history. You're taking an extremely simplistic approach to a pretty complex issue.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

I am not a JAG. However, I will agree that military justice is beyond hosed.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

ActusRhesus posted:

I encounter a lot of lawyers online, I have a lot in my family. I don't know anything about the law, so I do my best to defer to them. Some of the times, what they say makes me think, "Wow, if I'm ever in trouble in this area of speciality I'm gonna ask this person who I should hire," or just that I should hire them because nobody else would be better.

But then sometimes I encounter lawyers who see me saying something like, "I guess that..." and then post as if it was some thunderbolt out of heaven that, "YOU GUESSED THAT!" and I realize there are some lawyers who would get me a death penalty for a traffic ticket. Jesus loving christ.

So anyway it's clearly ridiculous to guess 90% of charged black men are successfully prosecuted, so...my friend, what is the correct number?

FuriousxGeorge fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 22, 2015

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

ActusRhesus posted:

That's part of my issue with this thread. People throw around what they suspect as if it is proven fact. Also, you do realize that the fact two cases were charged does not per se mean that the strength of the evidence was the same, right?

Instead of just mocking his lack of numbers, if you want to improve the thread, why not put actual numbers down? You complain a lot about this thread, but do almost nothing in any way to attempt to improve it.

The report to the United Nations by the Sentencing Project is probably the best single resource on racial disparity.

http://sentencingproject.org/doc/publications/rd_ICCPR%20Race%20and%20Justice%20Shadow%20Report.pdf

Contained within it are a lot of statistics--well-resourced--on issues that we've discussed, including the low funding of DAs and its effect on minorities, the effect of race on indictment, on sentencing, on conviction, etc--all of which are significant.

In terms of prosecutor culpability in sentencing disparity:

quote:

A 2001 analysis of more than 77,000 cases in the federal system from 1991 to 1994 revealed that black and Hispanic male defendants were significantly less likely to receive substantial assistance departures than white male defendants. This disparity remained even when the data was controlled for the severity of the offense, prior criminal history, and the specific district court’s sentencing tendencies.When prosecutors did request substantial assistance departures for nonwhite male defendants, the average downward adjustment such defendants received was roughly six months less than that for white male defendants.Accordingly, departures from standard sentencing guidelines accounted for 56% of the total racial disparity in sentence lengths in the federal system from 1991-1994.

I'm not putting this here mainly as a way to slam prosecutors, but to note that sociologists really do understand the whole 'compounding variables' thing and do their best to control for it. It is the easiest way to get a manuscript rejected or criticised in peer review, is lack of control for other variables. Sometimes, the point of the report is to show the position with all variables included, but where it is not, variables are controlled for.

On public defenders:

There was a specific decision, Strickland, which makes it very difficult for an indigent defendant to claim that his PD failed to give adequate defense.

quote:

In Strickland and Cronic, the Court established “a strong presumption that counsel’s conduct falls within the wide range of reasonable professional assistance.”101 In order to overcome such a “highly deferential” standard, defendants must prove that their attorneys’ performance was “outside the wide range of professionally competent assistance.” Defendants must then prove that their attorneys’ incompetence prejudiced the outcome of their trials—in other words, that there is a “reasonable probability that the result would have been different” if the defendants had received effective counsel. Application of the Strickland standard by the U.S. federal judiciary has exacerbated the “state of crisis” in indigent defense. Very few defendants have been able to meet the Strickland standard to have their convictions invalidated due to ineffective indigent defense counsel; consequently, federal, state, and local governments have been permitted to underfund and understaff their public defense agencies. Courts have found that defendants failed to meet the Strickland standard when their defense counsel slept during portions of the trial, when counsel abused cocaine and heroin throughout the
course of the trial, and when counsel admitted that he was not prepared on the law or the facts of the case.104 In one case, an attorney in a capital murder trial was found competent even though he “consumed large amounts of alcohol each day of the trial, drank in the morning, during court recess, and throughout the evening, and was arrested during jury selection for driving to the courthouse with a .27 blood-alcohol content.”The attorney’s alcoholism was so severe that he died of the disease between the end of the trial and the date the California Supreme Court handed down its decision in the case.

And the current situation with public defenders:

quote:

U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder declared that “America’s indigent defense counsel systems exist in a state of crisis.”34 Most indigent defense agencies are grossly understaffed and underfunded. In 2012, more than 70% of public defender offices reported that obtaining adequate funding and providing adequate compensation for their attorneys were extremely or very challenging to the ability of their office to provide indigent defense services. An analysis of funding at both the state and federal levels indicates that effective indigent defense is not a priority in many jurisdictions in the United States. At the state and local level, 15,026 public defenders in 957 indigent defense offices handled 5,572,450 cases in 2007.36 On average, each office handled 5,823 new cases and each public defender handled 371 cases—more than one new case for each day of the year. The states spent a total of $2.3 billion on indigent defense in 2007, or $414.55 per case.

Furthermore, of the $5.9 billion in federal grants that agencies could have used for indigent defense, fully two thirds of agencies reported that they did not allocate any funding for that purpose.38 Indeed, only 54% of agencies reported that they were even aware that discretionary funds could be used for indigent defense.39 Of the agencies that did allocate grant money to indigent defense, the amount allocated for that purpose constituted only 4.7% of their total grant money allocations.

The budget for state prosecutors in the same timeline was $5.8 billion, compared to the 2.3 billion for indigent defense. Obviously, this is not an apples-to-apples comparison, because the prosecutors also prosecute defendants that can afford to pay for defense, but between 60-80% of defendants are either indigent or become indigent; in addition, just because a lawyer gets paid by the client does not mean they're actually superior representation. In addition, prosecutors enjoy the structural advantage that the police gather evidence to create a case and conviction against the defendant.

Caseload probably shows the disparity best: Prosecutors average 94 felony cases per year per attorney. Compare that to the 371 caseload of public defenders. Note that this is, again, an imperfect comparison because the PD number is not felony-only, but you only get a PD if you're facing possible jail time, so it is mostly apt comparison.

Also of note is that only 3% of felony trials are concluded by a jury. This is not either a good or a bad thing, but does represent the structural elements at work.

http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/psc07st.pdf

Edit: And as for the 90%: In Florida, the conviction rate was 81% if there was an all-white jury trying a black defendant. If there was a jury with at least one black person on it, the conviction rate was 71% for black defendants and 73% for white defendants. This is a relatively small sample from a particular place (Florida, lol) and shouldn't be extrapolated elsewhere, I'm mainly including it as an interesting note on the effect of all-white juries on sentencing, which is replicated elsewhere, and to give some number, any number, backed up by a source.

http://qje.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2012/04/15/qje.qjs014.full

Obdicut fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 22, 2015

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

What you just said makes no sense.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ActusRhesus posted:

I am not a JAG. However, I will agree that military justice is beyond hosed.

Were you a JAG or were you a civilian specializing in military law? Seems like the latter would not be a good time.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FuriousxGeorge posted:

But then sometimes I encounter lawyers who see me saying something like, "I guess that..." and then post as if it was some thunderbolt out of heaven that, "YOU GUESSED THAT!" and I realize there are some lawyers who would get me a death penalty for a traffic ticket. Jesus loving christ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80o1VQbtwPI

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

ActusRhesus posted:

What you just said makes no sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwdba9C2G14

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I've been looking for this for five years thanks.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

ActusRhesus posted:

No. Because as has been pointed out there are too many variables to make a direct comparison possible. Strength of evidence? Rate of local office? Some are better than others. Willingness of defendant to deal? Prior criminal history. You're taking an extremely simplistic approach to a pretty complex issue.

I might be simplistic, but I was just making an offhand comment about how hosed up prosecution of cops is, because gently caress the police.

Amazingly, it turns out data seems to be backing me up here despite me not giving a poo poo at all. Because gently caress the police.

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot
From this link:

quote:

Ex-Bunnell cop John Murray’s trial on six felony charges ended this morning in a plea agreement as Murray pleaded no contest to a charge of possessing more than 20 grams of marijuana. Five other charges were dropped. Flagler County Circuit Judge Raul Zambrano sentenced Murray to 18 months’ probation and 50 community service hours and $1,000 in court costs. Murray will not serve jail time, but he can no longer be a police officer.
Immediately after John’s plea, his wife, Lisa, pleaded no contest to a theft charge in connection with the incident with a Bunnell merchant two years ago that triggered the state attorney’s investigation into the Bunnell Police Department and the Murrays’ conduct. The theft charge was new. Lisa Murray had originally been charged with official misconduct. That charge was dropped. She, too, will serve no jail time. Her plea agreement diverts her to a pre-trial intervention. She’ll be on probation for 12 months and pay $500 in court costs.
John Murray had faced two charges of tampering with evidence, charges of cocaine possession, Xanax possession (without a prescription) and marijuana possession, and official misconduct. At trial on Wednesday, he denied any wrong-doing, saying he took pills as pain medication but had never–as accused–been a provider of prescription pills or other drugs to Dawn Davis, an ex-live-in girlfriend. He also denied having possessed marijuana.
That last charge, his attorney, Michael Lambert said, became a problem for Murray when the prosecution showed him a document, which he had signed, establishing him as the supervisor on a marijuana case in Bunnell in 2009. Murray supervised other cops uprooting marijuana plants on the lot of an abandoned house on Stone Street, but the plants never made it to evidence at the police department. Lambert disputed the prosecution’s assumption that the plants were marijuana, but Murray himself, when being deposed by investigators subsequently, had referred to the plants as marijuana, making it difficult for the defense to sustain complete innocence. The plea, however, was a victory for the Murrays, considering the light consequences.
“The only thing we entered a plea to was the marijuana,” Lambert said after the plea this morning. “That was the one where he was the supervisor at the scene. So even if it was the other person’s responsibility, John is still responsible, because he was the supervisor. So there really was no way out of that. That’s why he said–you know, he’s not saying that he did it, but he’s saying no contest, because I can’t contest the fact that it is my responsibility to have checked that and make sure that Wolfle did it, and he didn’t do that.” Lambert was referring to Bunnell police officer Christopher Wolfle who, when questioned on the stand on Wednesday, said Murray had told him he’d take care of the plants, and not to write a report.
“With regard to all the other charges, he still said I’m not guilty, and the state concurred by dismissing them all,” Lambert said.

“That was the most important thing for us is that we wanted to make sure that they can never be police officers again,” Assistant State Attorney Jason Lewis said, which means they have to relinquish their certification as law enforcement officers. (John Murray’s had expired.) “We’re very pleased with the investigation that we were able to successfully get their certification to make sure that they didn’t cause any more problems or influence people or do things wrong again.”
Lewis said that the plea agreement won’t lead to future charges against other people who may have been related to the Murray cases or the state attorney’s investigation into the Bunnell Police Department and the conduct of then-Bunnell Commissioner Jimmy Flynt. Flynt had been at at the center of allegations of favoritism, with the Murrays steering business to his wrecker operation. The theft charge against Lisa Murray was the result of her taking $165 from a Bunnell merchant on behalf of Flynt, outside her prescribed duties as a police officer.
Flynt, who had sat outside the courtroom all day in the first day of trial earlier this week, was never called to the stand. A friend of the Murrays’, Flynt was not in court this morning, suggesting that he already knew that a plea agreement had been worked out. Last summer the state Ethics Commission found him in violation of ethics rules on three counts–again in connection with favoritism issues within the city–in a case brought against him by Bunnell City Commissioner Elbert Tucker.

also

quote:

Shoddy and inexplicable police work, a running theme through a recent investigation of the Bunnell Police Department and its aftershocks, is catching up to the department–to the benefit of two of its former police officers facing felony charges.
Last June, John and Lisa Murray, a married couple and former cops at the Bunnell Police Department, were arrested and charged with official misconduct, tampering or fabricating evidence, and cocaine possession (for John) and two counts of official misconduct (for Lisa). They’d both been suspended in April. Subsequently, John Murray also faced a grand theft charge when money was found to be missing from the evidence room. Murray was the evidence room’s custodian.

and

quote:

John and Lisa Murray were arrested on June 16. John, the second in command at the Bunnell Police Department, had been in that department for eight years. He was charged with four felonies–official misconduct, crack cocaine possession,tampering with evidence and grand theft related to the withholding of $1,380 confiscated from a suspect. Lisa Murray was with the department two years. She was charged with two counts of official misconduct. Their arrests were the latest in a string of scandals–including firings, rehirings and suits–that have wracked the Bunnell Police Department with little let-up for a decade.

Those charges stemmed in part from her intervention on behalf of Bunnell City Commissioner Jimmy Flynt during a confrontation between Flynt and a man whom Flynt said owed him money. A State Attorney’s investigation showed that Murray forced the man to pay Flynt or face arrest. That confrontation was the starting point of a long investigation that showed the Murrays and the Bunnell Police Department involved in a series of irregularities, intimidation tactics and favoritism that benefited Flynt and his towing service.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

Are you dumb? Has anyone anywhere ever in this thread said they do not believe there's an effective way to make things better? Obviously there are ways to make things better, or there wouldn't be departments that are better than others, which it very much seems like there are?
There's been people who claimed that they don't need to offer mechanisms to fix things. If they do reasonably believe there's an effective way to make things better, I would be suspicious if they can't offer a proposed mechanism. Different departments having different rates does not imply the existence of an effective way to makes things better (In fact, I would wager that the "best" departments are policing overwhelmingly white communities and hiding racist effects that would exist in any other community).

Lemming posted:

Are you kidding me? This is not true at all. There are people who think that the cop who shot Walter Scott did nothing wrong.
I said everyone agrees that police committing crimes is bad. Whether or not shooting a particular person was a crime is a distinct issue both from that and from the discussion on how we can improve society.

quote:

People who are chiming in that they think the situation is hosed up is absolutely an important part of the conversation. Plenty of people are just fine with the status quo.
Here's the problem. The status quo exists and in the immediate future you have no choice but to be fine with it. A better status quo could exist in the future, and if you have path to a better status quo, I would be interested to hear that path. Complaining that our society does not currently occupy whatever you individually perceive as a global maximum is not helpful.

quote:

And the entire point of noticing the problem is to create the push for the desire to solve it, but just because you aren't an expert in lawyering or copping or legislating doesn't mean you shouldn't get to contribute to the conversation. Saying "shut the gently caress up if you don't have a solution" is 100% a way to shut down conversation. If the person doesn't have the perfect solution, then they're either told to shut the gently caress up because they don't have an idea, or to shut the gently caress up because their idea is stupid. Not everyone is going to be an expert and able to meaningfully contribute to a useful solution, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to say they think something is bad and should be changed.
I'm not asking for a perfect solution, I'm asking for literally any solution, and yeah if you can't contribute to a useful solution you should shut up and let the adults talk. If your solution is bad we can talk about why it's bad (edit: and that discussion is helpful since understanding why things are bad helps us understand how to make good things), but if you don't like the status quo, and you don't have a path to a better future, literally the only thing you can say is "I don't like the status quo", and why should anyone care?

twodot fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 22, 2015

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"
I'd also note that it may be tempting to use the Cato reports on police misconduct but remember they're a bunch of libertarian whackjobs and I would not trust their data on anything at all.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

twodot posted:

I said everyone agrees that police committing crimes is bad. Whether or not shooting a particular person was a crime is a distinct issue both from that and from the discussion on how we can improve society.

The crux of your argument is that everyone agrees that the police have issues and that if you don't have a solution you should shut the gently caress up. What you fundamentally don't understand is that the first half of the situation, i.e. "the police have issues," is again, emphatically not something that everyone agrees on. Without people acknowledging that the police have issues, there can be no push for reform. It is a very important thing to talk about current problems and how people feel about them. Without that in place, even if you have the perfect solution handed down by Xenu himself it won't matter for poo poo because nobody will care enough to do it.

Talking about the current problems is important. Talking about potential solutions is important. It is not a requirement to have a solution for you to be allowed to speak.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ozmunkeh posted:

The police suddenly forget their training and make oopsies when collecting evidence against other cops. Like prosecutor oopsies, this is in no way an institutional problem, it's just that sometimes people make mistakes overwhelmingly when police commit crimes. Do not disparage the process, citizen.

You probably start reforming the system in the prosecutor's office, because right now they're essentially immune from legal ramifications (or any ramifications for that matter) of misconduct and rewarded for conviction rate. Radley Balko wrote a great long (looong) form piece about it. Most of the article is examples that illustrate the impossibility of holding prosecutors accountable for anything, but there are some stats on the difficulty of holding prosecutors accountable:

quote:

In 2003, the Center for Public Integrity looked at more than 11,000 cases involving misconduct since 1970. Among those, the center found a little over 2,012 instances in which an appeals court found the misconduct material to the conviction and overturned it. Less than 50 cases resulted in any professional sanction for the prosecutor.

In 2010, USA Today published a six-month investigation of 201 cases involving misconduct by federal prosecutors. Of those, only one prosecutor "was barred even temporarily from practicing law for misconduct." The Justice Department wouldn't even tell the paper which case it was, citing concern for the prosecutor's privacy.

A 2006 review in the Yale Law Journal concluded that "[a] prosecutor's violation of the obligation to disclose favorable evidence accounts for more miscarriages of justice than any other type of malpractice, but is rarely sanctioned by courts, and almost never by disciplinary bodies."

An Innocence Project study of 75 DNA exonerations -- that is, cases where the defendant was later found to be unquestionably innocent -- found that prosecutorial misconduct factored into just under half of those wrongful convictions. According to a spokesman for the organization, none of the prosecutors in those cases faced any serious professional sanction.

A 2009 study (PDF) by the Northern California Innocence Project found 707 cases in which appeals courts had found prosecutor misconduct in the state between 1997 and 2009. But of the 4,741 attorneys the state bar disciplined over that period, just 10 were prosecutors. The study also found 67 prosecutors whom appeals courts had cited for multiple infractions. Only six were ever disciplined.

Most recently, in April, ProPublica published an investigation of 30 cases in New York City in which prosecutor misconduct had caused a conviction to be overturned. Only one prosecutor was significantly disciplined.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Ah. I see. You are the one who doesn't believe it's possible for things to get better (because its due to the mixing of the races), and you're projecting. You at least admit there's a serious problem though, right?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Lemming posted:

The crux of your argument is that everyone agrees that the police have issues and that if you don't have a solution you should shut the gently caress up. What you fundamentally don't understand is that the first half of the situation, i.e. "the police have issues," is again, emphatically not something that everyone agrees on. Without people acknowledging that the police have issues, there can be no push for reform. It is a very important thing to talk about current problems and how people feel about them. Without that in place, even if you have the perfect solution handed down by Xenu himself it won't matter for poo poo because nobody will care enough to do it.
Quote the poster who thinks the police are free from all problems, that police officers never get away with crimes. Everyone agrees that this is happens some of the time. There seems to be a qualitative disagreement about the frequency, which must be the case since there's no numbers available to drive agreement, but that doesn't matter because as long as we agree it happens some of the time, we can talk about solutions. (edit: And having a discussion over whether it happens "frequently" or "occasionally" is insane)

quote:

Talking about the current problems is important. Talking about potential solutions is important. It is not a requirement to have a solution for you to be allowed to speak.
Obviously I can't bend the laws of physics to stop people from talking about things, but why is it important? "Police sometimes commit crimes and are not punished for it, and that is bad." What value did that statement generate? It's obvious why solutions are useful, solutions solve problems, I've yet to see any reason why it's useful to read a bunch of people saying "X is bad, and we have no way to make it not bad".
edit:

GlyphGryph posted:

Ah. I see. You are the one who doesn't believe it's possible for things to get better (because its due to the mixing of the races), and you're projecting. You at least admit there's a serious problem though, right?
I can imagine a variety of ways to make things better, though ultimately you are going to have to confront broad societal problems like racism. Most of the ways I would imagine to make things better are not politically viable or would require Constitutional amendments, so I don't consider them very interesting to discuss.

twodot fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 22, 2015

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Zeitgueist posted:

Amazingly, it turns out data seems to be backing me up here despite me not giving a poo poo at all. Because gently caress the police.
It's not, though. Your assertion was that prosecutors make mistakes (or "mistakes") far more often with police defendants than with other defendants. The link Obdicut provided doesn't support that assertion, it notes that there are a whole set of intersecting factors, including bias in the jury pool, that make prosecutions of police more difficult. (I'd also point out that his "between 1977 and 1995 there were zero convictions for homicide while on duty of any police officer, despite 550 fatal shootings" stat refers only to New York.) Obdicut pointed out, as I did earlier, that it's difficult to separate the prosecutor's influence from other factors in play. So maybe you could turn down the smugness a bit.

I also liked this quote from the HRS article:
"When we try to use criminal law as a substitute for standards that should be applied within a profession or occupation, we almost invariably are disappointed with the results."

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

twodot posted:

Quote the poster who thinks the police are free from all problems, that police officers never get away with crimes. Everyone agrees that this is happens some of the time. There seems to be a qualitative disagreement about the frequency, which must be the case since there's no numbers available to drive agreement, but that doesn't matter because as long as we agree it happens some of the time, we can talk about solutions.

Obviously I can't bend the laws of physics to stop people from talking about things, but why is it important? "Police sometimes commit crimes and are not punished for it, and that is bad." What value did that statement generate? It's obvious why solutions are useful, solutions solve problems, I've yet to see any reason why it's useful to read a bunch of people saying "X is bad, and we have no way to make it not bad".

You're either very stupid or being intentionally dense, so I'll try to be simple for you.

Some people are killed by bears. It doesn't happen very often though, so I don't particularly care about doing anything differently than we currently are. I'm not sure what bear-related precautions we take in places with bear attacks, but they seem fine. I don't think many people live in mortal terror of bear attacks.

Everyone agrees that it's bad that people are killed by bears. Nobody thinks bears are no danger to people. Everyone agrees it happens sometimes. But it's pretty rare, and really if you don't want to get attacked by a bear you shouldn't provoke one, so nobody really gives a poo poo. If it was happening on a wide-spread scale that I didn't really understand before, then I would probably start caring and wanting to do something about it.

Here's a hint

I'm not really talking about bear attacks

A very important step in the process is pointing out problems and showing why people should care about them. In this case, abuses by police are a lot more widespread than people assumed, and it's become an actual thing politically and in the media recently. This is helped in large part by things like people protesting, which is at its very, very core a bunch of people angrily yelling "I DON'T LIKE THE BAD THING!" which, it turns out, is actually very important.

Edit: Also, literally nobody who thinks that a bad thing is happening shouldn't be solved, but any given person might not personally know how to fix it, and that's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

hobbesmaster posted:

Torture and high pressure psychological tools to get confessions, real or false, are used even more in Japan. That's not a good goal.

• Locked thread