Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

shadow puppet of a posted:

*downloads and runs 2mb file, "Worlds of Worcroft" from the Windows Store (Beta) bypassing all UAC prompts and group policies*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

windows isn't consumer hostile

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/04/man-puts-8-bullets-in-his-dell-tells-police-its-worth-the-ticket/ posted:

Man puts 8 bullets in his Dell, tells police it’s worth the ticket

On Monday around 7pm, 37-year-old Colorado Springs resident Lucas Hinch took his Dell XPS 410 out into the alley behind the building where he lives and runs a homeopathic herb store, pulled out his 9mm handgun, and put eight bullets through the PC, in cold blood.

The Dell, it seems, had been causing Hinch trouble in recent months and gave him a blue screen of death for what turned out to be the final time on that fateful evening. It's unclear what version of Windows the computer was running before it met its demise.

According to the local police blotter, Colorado Springs police responded to the sound of the gunshots and ticketed Hinch for discharging his gun within city limits, a misdemeanor offense. Police spokeswoman Catherine Buckley told the Los Angeles Times that Hinch had just purchased a new gun, and when the police arrived on the scene, he told the officers he didn't realize he was breaking the law in discharging his weapon.

Hinch, however, told the Times he has no regrets.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

let's see what ~tech savvy~ ars readers think of wandows ecks for workgroups update 3.1 point one update one with bing!

that there are people out there (possibly even at msft) who think that win 10 needs to come out in july so microsoft doesnt miss out on that lucrative back-to-school market is hilarious

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

infernal machines posted:

windows 10 is a beautiful thing, it's pure distilled microsoft.

it's the product of taking the taking the wrong lessons from every failure, in every market, in the last three decades and compiling them into a single os. it's actively user hostile in every way it's possible for a microsoft product to be

it's the final fruit of microsoft's decade long strategy to gently caress over every single customer they've ever had.

some businesses just lose momentum and sink into irrelevance, microsoft is dedicated to burning this motherfucker to the ground

otherwise known as pulling an ibm

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

quote:

Device Guard is the previously unnamed feature we blogged about that gives organizations the ability to lock down devices in a way that provides advanced malware protection against new and unknown malware variants as well as Advanced Persistent Threats (APT’s).

Oh good, I feel safe alread-

quote:

It provides better security against malware and zero days for Windows 10 by blocking anything other than trusted apps—which are apps that are signed by specific software vendors, the Windows Store, or even your own organization.

never mind

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
***trip report***

history of the last MS Office 2016 Mac Preview/O2011 update process:

Last week:

- MS autoupdate runs after launching 02k16 Word preview, finds update to MS updater
- update the MS auto(lol)updater, updates, hides update complete window behind new instance of updater that launches and stays at the check update screen, so you hit update again
- updater complains of updater already running, must quit
- run updater, finds updates to the o11 preview program, downloads Excel/word/pp (with complete progress bar for each so no idea how long dl will actually take)
- downloads all updates, updated tries to install, complains can't find the files it just downloaded
- repeats each day, re-downloads all files each time, each time fails

Today:

- runs updater, finds new autoupdater to download, downloads and installs
- again downloads all O2k16 updates, but this time managed to get to install screen
- for each component of the suite, runs a seperate installer and requires you to re-enter your admin password each time
-after install is done, MS autoupdater launches again, and finds SP update for Office 2011 (which I also had installed and which is supposed to work fine along with the preview, but had no o2011 components running at the time and the autoupdaters are separate for each suite)
- downloads SP update, attempts to install - autoupdate crashes when running scripts
- autoupdate runs again, when checking for updates beachballs, have to force-quit
- run O2011 update again, this time finds 14.4.9 update - not SP (guess it installed...enough?) - downloads and installs

flawless

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

***trip report***

Last week:

- MS autoupdate runs after launching 02k16 Word preview, finds update to MS updater
- update the MS auto(lol)updater, updates, hides update complete window behind new instance of updater that launches and stays at the check update screen, so you hit update again
- run updater, finds updates to the o11 preview program, downloads Excel/word/pp (with complete progress bar for each so no idea how long dl will actually take)
- downloads all updates, updated tries to install, complains can't find the files it just downloaded

Today:

- again downloads all O2k16 updates, but this time managed to get to install screen
- for each component of the suite, runs a seperate installer and requires you to re-enter your admin password each time
-after install is done, MS autoupdater launches again, and finds SP update for Office 2011 (which I also had installed and which is supposed to work fine along with the preview, but had no o2011 components running at the time and the autoupdaters are separate for each suite)
- downloads SP update, attempts to install - autoupdate crashes when running scripts
- autoupdate runs again, when checking for updates beachballs, have to force-quit
- run O2011 update again, this time finds 14.4.9 update - not SP (guess it installed...enough?) - downloads and installs

flawless

we might be talking about the same thing but there was an update to office 2011 that would download but autoupdate would fail to launch the installer. it would do this over and over again, downloading the same ~500 mb update

eventually i just went and found the update in pkg form and installed it that way. definitely something the average user would do

pram
Jun 10, 2001
hmm I updated the iWork suite of software yesterday on my Apple Macintosh and it worked flawlessly

htthrh

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

microsoft briging the windows update user expeirence to mac

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
qa is an unnecessary expense, just make those lazy coders do it right the first time

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

***trip report***

Last week:

Today:

flawless

try this: while one of those preview 2k16 updates is installing, click 'check for updates' in the autoupdater

l o l

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

what happensd

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

could you just remove Window Store from the certificate store or somehow create a revocation locally,

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

duTrieux. posted:

what happensd

the installer immediately says its successful and quits but doesnt update and the update is removed from autoupdate

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

windows 10's july release date is clearly some big teambuilding trustfall exercise whereby the whole company and investors get over their fear of shipping a known-broken product, like what was loving them in the longhorn development phase

i say this because i just fought with every aspect of the system trying to find and download the 'avatars' app they announced today, ultimately once i found it and not the same-named shovelware, it would not download but did pop up an error saying it was ms' fault

so we'll probably get winfs soon too, just broken, but it will be there listed in the app store

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The_Franz posted:

if it's really coming out commercially in july they have about 1 month before they have to go rtm

:jackbud:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

can't wait for the giant paul thurott "review" that he thinks is like john siracusa but is actually garbage

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

i'll write the field guide

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

a ticket came in

please explain to me how many different products are called Skype for business

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

carry on then posted:

can't wait for the giant paul thurott "review" that he thinks is like john siracusa but is actually garbage

paul will finally lose it and the video review will just be him squeezing out a massive pineapple-esque turd for 4 hours

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Beeftweeter posted:

paul will finally lose it and the video review will just be him squeezing out a massive pineapple-esque turd for 4 hours

EMMY AWARD WINNING SERIES

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Cocoa Crispies posted:

like the ken burns of windows

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

FMguru posted:

that there are people out there (possibly even at msft) who think that win 10 needs to come out in july so microsoft doesnt miss out on that lucrative back-to-school market is hilarious

well how do you expect to make money if you don't release your free update in time for a big shopping season?

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
those big back to school advertising dollars

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PleasureKevin posted:

well how do you expect to make money if you don't release your free update in time for a big shopping season?

tbf they know the only installs they're going to get are oem preinstalls

gotta pump those adoption numbers somehow.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Phoenixan posted:

those big back to school advertising dollars

microsoft usually begins development of bts messaging in the april or may before the target season. a log of money and effort goes into it. marketing, training, promotions, etc

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i once wrote a piece intended to sell powerpoint to parents of grade schoolers

still feel a little dirty

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

here's one for you

the new Skype for business doesn't associate itself with Skype: urls so if you uninstall Skype in favor of Skype for business you can't open them

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Cocoa Crispies posted:

duTrieux. posted:

a log of money and effort goes into it.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

here's one for you

the new Skype for business doesn't associate itself with Skype: urls so if you uninstall Skype in favor of Skype for business you can't open them

those are clearly different products

skype4biz://

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
please download skype for business at https://www.skype.biz

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i typed that expecting it to not actually direct to skype for businss, but it does

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Beeftweeter posted:

he will be talking to leo laporte and mary jo foley the entire time

leo is not allowed to leave the skype session.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

let's see what ~tech savvy~ ars readers think of wandows ecks for workgroups update 3.1 point one update one with bing!

I'm Digital Dud

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I realize its a beta or whatever, but releasing a version of Windows to the public with a Start menu that can't start non-Metro Modern Immersive Windows apps is amazing.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

pseudorandom name posted:

I realize its a beta or whatever, but releasing a version of Windows to the public with a Start menu that can't start non-Metro Modern Immersive Windows apps is amazing.

wait what it cant? so if you upgrade from 7 and all of your shortcuts and poo poo dont work?

if so lmao

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
windows 10 is the best windows

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

wait what it cant? so if you upgrade from 7 and all of your shortcuts and poo poo dont work?

if so lmao

no, this is just something they broke in build 10061

Microsoft posted:

We know this one will be a bit painful but there is a bug with this build in which Win32 (desktop) apps won’t launch from the Start menu. The workaround is to use search to find and launch these apps and pin them to your taskbar for quick access.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

pseudorandom name posted:

no, this is just something they broke in build 10061

how

does

this

happen

oh right fire qa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

The Leck posted:

brb getting this and

Gamma&
Helm&
Johnson&
Vlissides

shirts printed up

where do I order

• Locked thread