Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Okay, thanks guys. I'm still being a noob and trying to figure out the differences between Android and iOS. Satisfied so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008
So what the gently caress is with lollipop? I upgraded to it on my stock Nexus 4 about a month ago and it's been alright except for the fact that GMail no longer syncs when I get new email. I mean it does, sometimes. It could be anywhere between 5 minutes, 30 mins, an hour, or 12 before I'll get a notification on my phone about new mail coming in. I figured fine, 5.0 it's one of the many lovely bugs it'll get ironed out in 5.1

Nope. my phone got the 5.1 upgrade on Monday, and it's still happening. I had someone send me an email from their gmail account from mine about an hour ago and I still haven't received notification on my phone. Why is this even a thing. Why isn't Gmail working with their own goddamned phone platform?? I get instant emails on my old Asus tablet that's stuck on 4.1, and my old moto atrix on CM9.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do about this? i've searched all over and nothing seems to work. I've even gone as far as factory resetting my phone and it's not fixing a damned thing.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'd try to post on a Google help board or get a hold of Google some other way, because that's the first I've heard of this issue.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah it's not a Lollipop thing, I've not heard of any Gmail issues in Lollipop specifically.

Do you use any "funky" apps? Battery helpers / task killers, that sort of thing? You haven't turned off background data or altered any APN settings? It happens on both Wifi and cellular networks?

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008

Rastor posted:

Yeah it's not a Lollipop thing, I've not heard of any Gmail issues in Lollipop specifically.

Do you use any "funky" apps? Battery helpers / task killers, that sort of thing? You haven't turned off background data or altered any APN settings? It happens on both Wifi and cellular networks?

Nope to all of that. I'm about as stock as you can get, especially after factory reset. I'm even made sure I have keep wifi on during sleep enabled so it can't be that either.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Do you see that behaviour everywhere? Could it be related to a specific Wi-Fi network?

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008

Tunga posted:

Do you see that behaviour everywhere? Could it be related to a specific Wi-Fi network?

Everywhere. Makes no difference if I'm connected to any particular wifi network or if I'm using the cell connection.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Can I turn off that app resizing thing Touchwiz does on the S6? I have no use for it and sometimes trigger it by accident.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Skeezy posted:

Can I turn off that app resizing thing Touchwiz does on the S6? I have no use for it and sometimes trigger it by accident.

I think you're talking about multi window, which is disable-able on my Note 4.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Skeezy posted:

I've been looking for this also, my gf does this on her S6 Edge constantly and it doesn't really provide any value. I've run two apps at once on it windowed like that and honestly its a stupid feature unless you're using a Note.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I just got a survey from Rewards asking what year it was and when I pressed 2015 immediately it chastised me for answering too fast and told me to try again. What the hell google.

Also, you can disable the resizing in Touchwiz. Go to the Multi window settings in System Settings and uncheck "Pop-up view shortcut".

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Kinda android, so this may be the best place for it for now.

Google's Project Fi is live. Nexus 6 only for now and invite only. It's a combination of Sprint ant T-Mobile depending on what has better signal where you are. $20 /month for the unlimited talk/text and then $10 per month per GB of data with the unused portion of your data being credited back to you at the end of the month.

https://fi.google.com

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Say hi to Fi

quote:

Project Fi aims to put you on the best network wherever you go. As you move around, the best network for you might be a Wi-Fi hotspot or a specific 4G LTE network. We developed new technology that gives you better coverage by intelligently connecting you to the fastest available network at your location whether it's Wi-Fi or one of our two partner LTE networks. As you go about your day, Project Fi automatically connects you to more than a million free, open Wi-Fi hotspots we've verified as fast and reliable. Once you're connected, we help secure your data through encryption. When you're not on Wi-Fi, we move you between whichever of our partner networks is delivering the fastest speed, so you get 4G LTE in more places.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfFHnBQ6nQg

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I just got a survey from Rewards asking what year it was and when I pressed 2015 immediately it chastised me for answering too fast and told me to try again. What the hell google.

Also, you can disable the resizing in Touchwiz. Go to the Multi window settings in System Settings and uncheck "Pop-up view shortcut".

I don't have that setting option on my S6, according to most things I've read it's not like old versions of it where you enable and disable it in the menu.

One thing I did do was while in an app I held down the "app switcher" button which enables the side by side view an sizes them equally to half the screen, then I full screened one of them and now when doing the normal long press in the corner of the app it doesn't re-size like it was before. Not really a fix, because I probably just samsunged my samsung.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ugh, this will never be available in Canada, gently caress everything and I don't even care.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

thebushcommander posted:

I don't have that setting option on my S6, according to most things I've read it's not like old versions of it where you enable and disable it in the menu.

One thing I did do was while in an app I held down the "app switcher" button which enables the side by side view an sizes them equally to half the screen, then I full screened one of them and now when doing the normal long press in the corner of the app it doesn't re-size like it was before. Not really a fix, because I probably just samsunged my samsung.

That's weird. I'm on a note 4 but it just updated to lollipop and I still have that option. Weird that they'd pull that menu option on the S6 flavor but not on the note 4.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I'm almost disappointed that my T-Mobile $50 unlimited everything plan is better, I'd probably be all over that otherwise.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

quote:

The up front pricing seems pretty standard. It requires a "Fi Basics" plan, which is $20 a month for unlimited talk and texting. Then data is an addition $10 per GB a month. So a $20 basics plan plus 3GB a month would be $50, $5 more than Straight Talk charges for the same thing—that's only if you actually use the data though. The unique aspect of the billing is that you "Never pay for unused data." Your account gets credited, in money, for data you don't use.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/04/googles-wireless-service-project-fi-is-official-but-invite-only/

Pretty underwhelming really.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Looks good to me, I have WiFi most places. I'd be curious to see what average data usage is on the main carriers. I bet it's a good deal in terms of price for many. And if you're in a city, and their WiFi switching/connecting works as they advertise, I could see people that normally use a decent amount of data using much less on this network.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
That looks pretty nice from my point of view. I could use my regular number to call family and whatnot more often, since I wouldn't have to worry about a minutes cap. And I'm certainly not using the 5gb of T-Mobile data I'm paying for, either. Too bad you need a Big McLargePhone to use the plan :(

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

CLAM DOWN posted:

Ugh, this will never be available in Canada, gently caress everything and I don't even care.

Looks cool. Wonder when they'll annouce shared accounts. So I could do 2 lines and 10gb data for 140. That would be like $100 dollars cheaper than At&t. Also, weirdly they don't explicitly state that data used over Wifi connections doesn't count against your monthly data. it would be pretty lovely if I were connected to my home wifi for like 5gb and the Fi app on the phone saw that and I still got "charged" for it.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 22, 2015

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

That's weird. I'm on a note 4 but it just updated to lollipop and I still have that option. Weird that they'd pull that menu option on the S6 flavor but not on the note 4.

I don't know what the menu looks like on a Note4, but on the S6 it's pretty lovely. It's like a collection of quick links under different headings, sometimes the same option shows under multiple headings etc.

I realize that sounds pretty general and obvious what a menu should look like, but it's just weird compared to say my HTC One that was on Lollipop.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 22, 2015

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Fi sounded really good until you get to the $10/GB. It's basically a much worse version of my current AT&T contract, good job Google?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Fi sounded really good until you get to the $10/GB. It's basically a much worse version of my current AT&T contract, good job Google?

Does AT&T refund you for data not used?

That's the key piece here. That, along with the fact that the phone will actively seek out wifi when it's available in order to lessen your data usage.

There are times when I use 5gb in a month, there's times where I barely use more than 1gb. To get refunded when my usage is less is pretty huge.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

bull3964 posted:

That's the key piece here. That, along with the fact that the phone will actively seek out wifi when it's available in order to lessen your data usage.

There are times when I use 5gb in a month, there's times where I barely use more than 1gb. To get refunded when my usage is less is pretty huge.

I'd rather have the T-Mo nerd plan and work around the minute limit.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

Mooktastical posted:

I'd rather have the T-Mo nerd plan and work around the minute limit.

Ubiquitous data is pretty baller (Sprint + international data).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Neither T-Mobile or Sprint alone have good enough networks for me to consider them, but combined they are almost good enough. Not quite the same level of coverage as Verizon, but close enough that it could be workable.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Plus, if you go over they only fractionally add the data used to it. In actuality I don't really see a reason to pay for more than the first GB if that's indeed the case.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Anyone else with a 2014 Moto X have trouble setting up the custom voice commands?

It refuses to recognize that I'm recording. It gets to the "Say your launch phrase' par, but even if I'm yelling into the phone with no ambient noise, it doesn't register that I'm speaking.

I don't have any trouble with the mic in other apps. No one I've talked to on the phone says it's low, and I can use the built-in Google Now voice commands just fine.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

bull3964 posted:

Neither T-Mobile or Sprint alone have good enough networks for me to consider them, but combined they are almost good enough. Not quite the same level of coverage as Verizon, but close enough that it could be workable.

Yeah I saw "Sprint" and just stopped right there. T mobile isn't in my market and Sprint here is hilarious garbage. I'd consider it if I lived where T-Mobile existed I guess?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

bull3964 posted:

We regularly use 25+ of our 30GB per month, and ATT has rollover data now, so yeah, Google would never be able to compete right now.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Got this a few weeks back. Sorry I read a simple question and knew the answer, which was at the top of the list, too quickly, Google.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

We regularly use 25+ of our 30GB per month, and ATT has rollover data now, so yeah, Google would never be able to compete right now.

Just realize you're a huge outlier in terms of data usage, and the plan probably makes sense for tons of other people :)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

RVProfootballer posted:

Just realize you're a huge outlier in terms of data usage, and the plan probably makes sense for tons of other people :)

People like me, my mom, and my dad. I rarely break 1GB of data since I'm on wifi most of the time. Hoping Project Fi eventually gets some kind of family plan package though. I look forward to it being compatible with the Moto G and Moto E too.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
God dammit. The wireless charger I ordered came today, and it's no more reliable than the cord. Probably less so. What the hell is the problem with this phone??

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

teagone posted:

People like me, my mom, and my dad. I rarely break 1GB of data since I'm on wifi most of the time. Hoping Project Fi eventually gets some kind of family plan package though. I look forward to it being compatible with the Moto G and Moto E too.

I'd rather pay the extra $5 to Cricket to get AT&T service than to be stuck with Sprint and T-Mobile though. Plus you get an extra 1.5 gb.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I just ordered one of those Tylt Vu Car mounts finally and I'm super stoked.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

CLAM DOWN posted:

I just ordered one of those Tylt Vu Car mounts finally and I'm super stoked.

It was only a matter of time since we are cosmically linked to have identical setups

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Skeezy posted:

thebushcommander posted:

You can customize the quick settings toggles along the top of the notification shade, it's likely the multi-window toggle is already up there if you swipe left. If it's not there you can swipe down with two fingers on the notification shade to get all the available toggles and turn it off there. From that screen you can tap on the pencil icon to select which toggles you want showing up along the top. I don't know if this made it to the S6, but you should also be able to long press the back button to toggle multiwindow on and off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Should I be worried if my note 4 only seems to be able to properly focus when taking a picture after I give it a good whack to the side? no matter what I do, it never seems to auto focus correctly on the first try.