Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
What if Kat grabbed Renard and threw him into the forest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is a sad time in this comic, possibly the saddest. Here's something for your saddest face needs.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Dammit.

I was worried that it just wouldn't occur to Kat to raise hell about this. Stupid goody two shoes.

BURN SOME poo poo ALREADY

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Antimony seems to want to act like this is all totally normal and okay, so Kat is willing to support her friend in that. Antimony's trying to act like it's all normal and okay because that's how her father is acting. Anthony is acting like his return is normal and proper because his ability to relate with other people is fundamentally broken.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Ditocoaf posted:

Antimony seems to want to act like this is all totally normal and okay, so Kat is willing to support her friend in that. Antimony's trying to act like it's all normal and okay because that's how her father is acting. Anthony is acting like his return is normal and proper because his ability to relate with other people is fundamentally broken.

Eh, I think Antimony is acting this way because she's always coped like this. It's how she dealt with the death of her mother, and how she dealt with the phone call from her father. The problem is that her distress will come out, and she is going to have to deal with it eventually; right now the choice is between having her best friend with her when that happens or not. I don't think she's making the best choice, and I wish Kat would call her on it.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I think Jones needs to attach herself to a human to mantain whatever little humanity she has. She's been doing that since humans walk the earth and very likely some humans have treated her attachment romantically.

She's just acting the way she has learned to act from her past attachments. She obviously loves Eglamore in her own weird way, but I doubt she can feel romantically attracted to anything.

And Surma hated Jones because, come on, that's another woman treating your man like the most important person in the world, there's obviously a lot of resentment there. I'm sure part of the reason Surma and Eglamore never got together is due to his relationship with Jones.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
That plus always being away training might be enough to explain Surma's decision to split with Eglamore. I have to wonder if there's something more to it, though. Antimony seems to really dislike Eglamore from the very beginning. Maybe that was inherited from one or both of her parents.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Countdown until that gets confiscated?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Can't give her a tablet with skype?

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
It almost feels like the unspoken implication is this needs to go on behind her father's back to go on at all, which is distressingly sad.

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.
It is amazing how much Annie with short hair looks like Carver in the flashbacks. Same eyes mostly, but some of the angles Tom has chosen have made me realize it more than others for sure. Like there has been a transition from Surma's child to Carver's, either willingly or by whatever it is Carver has been doing.

Maybe Carver is similarly "masked up" in some way that Annie is now. Except he never had anything to force him out of it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
What no rewind deal with the hosed up Reynard thing first I need closure on that

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Macaluso posted:

What no rewind deal with the hosed up Reynard thing first I need closure on that

That'll come at the very end of the chapter when Anthony places the plushy in a vault and as the door closes, Reynard's eyes glow in a callback to this page.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
I recall that Antimony already told him he could be freed to go back to the forest - and he turned it down. I wonder if her offer still technically stands; he could stick around out of concern for her and then bounce when she tries to give him away?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Krabkolash posted:

It is amazing how much Annie with short hair looks like Carver in the flashbacks. Same eyes mostly, but some of the angles Tom has chosen have made me realize it more than others for sure. Like there has been a transition from Surma's child to Carver's, either willingly or by whatever it is Carver has been doing.

Maybe Carver is similarly "masked up" in some way that Annie is now. Except he never had anything to force him out of it.

She has the same headshape as him, at least up to prior to this chapter. I don't know if it's tea-san's changing artstyle but Tony seems to have gone from prettyboy youth to mature dad in appearance over the 5-6 years between the most recent flashback of him and now.

Makes you wonder if Tony had a baseball-shaped head in his first year at the court.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Wittgen posted:

That plus always being away training might be enough to explain Surma's decision to split with Eglamore. I have to wonder if there's something more to it, though. Antimony seems to really dislike Eglamore from the very beginning. Maybe that was inherited from one or both of her parents.
I thought she got along with him until Jones commented he shouldn't be undressing the students.

Kat should steal that jar by the door.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Fried Chicken posted:

Countdown until that gets confiscated?
Friday or Monday, depending on how long Tom draws out Kat's farewell.

E: Frankly at this point I'm about fifty:fifty on "Being confiscated" vs "Annie just hands it to her father without prompting".

Itzena fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 22, 2015

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Wittgen posted:

Antimony seems to really dislike Eglamore from the very beginning.

Antimony dislikes Eglamore because he's got transferred feelings for her from the woman he was hot for, and it's kind of creepy and even a 14-year-old can tell.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Alarm bells loudly going off in my head right now. Before Monday's page, even though Annie had cut her hair she was still very expressive. In Monday's page, as soon as she "puts on the mask" (complete with reality tears - bone spikes?), she has exact same unwavering :geno: face as Anthony. I call shenanigans.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Slime TrainerS
That would be a little cheap, though. It's more likely that Antimony is just that broken rather than suffering bone-spear-finger-mind-control. The latter is just "Let's get Zimmy to punch Carver Sr. in the face again and everything is fixed" while the former makes for a longer and more...interesting storyline over the next however many chapters.

Either that or the chapter ends with "And I never saw Kat again" and it shifts to the Amazing Adventures of Kat & Paz from next week. :v:

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Watch this end with someone asking "Where's Zimmy?" and the answer is "Oh, she got expelled when Mr. Carver found out she only went to classes 10% of the time and spent most of her time eating vermin."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Ultimately bone-spear mind control would be a metaphor for the nonmagical undue influence Anthony already has over his daughter, so it's going to be a little hard to tell "my mind is full of bone spears from my father's evil mind spells" apart from "my mind is full of bone spears because that's how the artist is representing the pain caused by his creepy controlling influence" until it's all over.

(there's probably no bony brainwashing happening, though)

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Oh man I had a stupid awesome thought. What if Kat gets some of the court robots to steal Renard in the dead of night. The binding spell is now broken so then she builds him a robot body to possess :allears:

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Slime TrainerS
The answer to "Is anything awesome going to happen in this chapter?" is "No", by the way.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

Well, there's something that's been sorely missing in this chapter. A joke!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Why did Mort ask for Annie's help?

To get to the other side :rimshot:

(Too soon?)

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

If this conversation ends without Kat being given ownership of Renard (or her having stolen him) I'm gonna be very upset.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

So since apparently Annie and Kat don't have cell phones or computers with internet access, it begs the question... do we know when Gunnerkrigg Court is set?

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

YF-23 posted:

So since apparently Annie and Kat don't have cell phones or computers with internet access, it begs the question... do we know when Gunnerkrigg Court is set?

It's fairly modern, but Tom's been pretty reticent to peg things down specifically - which isn't really a problem for me! It's quite modern, at the very least.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Slime TrainerS
e: Never mind, I'm dumb. Maybe the dorms have signal blockers?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
The chapter "Power station" takes place in 2008 or later. So at least 2010 now?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Blasmeister posted:

If this conversation ends without Kat being given ownership of Renard (or her having stolen him) I'm gonna be very upset.

What will become of Coyote's tooth?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Jones has a cellphone.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

What will become of Coyote's tooth?

Anthony needed a new cheese knife anyway.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

GodFish posted:

Jones has a cellphone.

When does she use it? I forget but wasn't it during that excursion to the etheric power station? If so maybe cellphones don't work inside the Court.

Edit: wait, now that I think about it Antimony got the Microsat 5 message in the Court, on a phone.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Rand Brittain posted:

Antimony dislikes Eglamore because he's got transferred feelings for her from the woman he was hot for, and it's kind of creepy and even a 14-year-old can tell.

I dunno, rereading some of the earlier material and Eglamore's interactions with Annie, Annie was kind of an rear end back in those days in general tbh :v:

She pretty much always assumed the worst of him from the start. See also: "Because she's a woman?" and everyone proceeding to look at Annie like a crazy person.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Faux Mulder posted:

When does she use it? I forget but wasn't it during that excursion to the etheric power station? If so maybe cellphones don't work inside the Court.

Edit: wait, now that I think about it Antimony got the Microsat 5 message in the Court, on a phone.

I was thinking of the Microsat 5 message, yeah.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I dunno, rereading some of the earlier material and Eglamore's interactions with Annie, Annie was kind of an rear end back in those days in general tbh :v:

She pretty much always assumed the worst of him from the start. See also: "Because she's a woman?" and everyone proceeding to look at Annie like a crazy person.

I wonder if her father or mother may have... biased her against Eglamore before coming to the court?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Faux Mulder posted:

If so maybe cellphones don't work inside the Court.

Or its just that neither of them have jobs to pay for phone bills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Captain Oblivious posted:

I think it may have had something to do with Eglamore calling "SURMA!!!" after her as she fell from the bridge. Thaaaaaat was a pretty creepy Freudian slip.