Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Anyone get Forge War? It looks pretty cool, but the playtime kind of scares me

Got it, haven't played it yet
I read the rules and it doesn't seem super slow - there's the basic game which looks to be about 1/3 of the length of the "epic" version, and there are also a few variants for shorter versions using some of the advanced components

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

ChiTownEddie posted:

Really interesting read.
The funny takeaway is that the OP says after 130 plays he is shelving the game because it is too imbalanced.
One hundred and thirty plays.
Of course most of his stuff sounds like a group becoming static in their strategy and then burnt out. But who knows, maybe if I get to one hundred and god drat thirty plays of RollFTG I'll experience what he is too.

Of course, the OP also complains that you need to do actions serially in the develop and settle phases. How the hell does that make sense? Your dice allocated to develop or settle have already been allocated before anything is resolved, so there aren't any tactical choices to be made - you put dice onto cards and build them one at a time. Is there any situation where you need to make a tactical choice at that point?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Dirk the Average posted:

Of course, the OP also complains that you need to do actions serially in the develop and settle phases. How the hell does that make sense? Your dice allocated to develop or settle have already been allocated before anything is resolved, so there aren't any tactical choices to be made - you put dice onto cards and build them one at a time. Is there any situation where you need to make a tactical choice at that point?

Yeah, he responded with "In Develop/Settle, you don't want to reveal how many tiles you are going to build, nor what those tiles are, nor what the top tile of the stack will be when you're done building."
Can't you technically just return a Dev/Settle die to your cup instead of using it (even if you have something to place it on/the phase is happening)?
So maybe he is saying that technically his decision might change after seeing what someone else develops/settles? If that is the case, daaaamn is that a niche complaint.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

ChiTownEddie posted:

Really interesting read.
The funny takeaway is that the OP says after 130 plays he is shelving the game because it is too imbalanced.
Of course most of his stuff sounds like a group becoming static in their strategy and then burnt out. But who knows, maybe if I get to one hundred and god drat thirty plays of RollFTG I'll experience what he is too.

Serge is a massive fan of Race, one of those guys that has a separate box for each version of the game IIRC (Base, Base + 1 expansion, Base + 2 expansions etc). He has 2000+ recorded plays of RftG so the standards for "do I like this game" are a little different in this case.

Echophonic posted:

Roll was getting a mixed response in here when it first came out, but it's good to see opinions are shifting a bit. My group really likes it. It does share quite a bit of DNA with Race, but I feel like it's definitely more important to try to get reads on your opponents. I mean, you need to in Race, but switching the Produce and Consume phases really makes the endgame fly.

I think the major complaint was that it's too easy to cheat which is still totally valid. I liked it and will probably buy it in the near future.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

ChiTownEddie posted:

Yeah, he responded with "In Develop/Settle, you don't want to reveal how many tiles you are going to build, nor what those tiles are, nor what the top tile of the stack will be when you're done building."
Can't you technically just return a Dev/Settle die to your cup instead of using it (even if you have something to place it on/the phase is happening)?
So maybe he is saying that technically his decision might change after seeing what someone else develops/settles? If that is the case, daaaamn is that a niche complaint.

Maybe my opinion will change with another 86 games, but the only time this seems like it would matter is if you are capable of hitting 12 tiles this turn and choose not to because you will lose. That's only really a problem for 2-3 turns of a game at most.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Poopy Palpy posted:

The time I played, I kind of felt directionless and didn't have much to do but explore to get my dice back. :shrug:

It also got me wanting to play Race again, but nobody wants to because it's old.

This is pretty much how I felt the one time I played Roll. I didn't think the game had enough opportunities to roll dice, and there were turns where I rolled very few dice, which made it feel like the turn was a waste.

Granted, I only played it once, but I didn't see anything in Roll that made me think it's going to be better than Race especially since I already owned Race, played Race many times, and Race was much cheaper than Roll.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

medchem posted:

This is pretty much how I felt the one time I played Roll. I didn't think the game had enough opportunities to roll dice, and there were turns where I rolled very few dice, which made it feel like the turn was a waste.

Granted, I only played it once, but I didn't see anything in Roll that made me think it's going to be better than Race especially since I already owned Race, played Race many times, and Race was much cheaper than Roll.

That's something that gets better with more plays. Managing your money, and thus how many dice you roll, is a crucial part of the game and what separates new players from experienced players. Sometimes it's worth it to dump all of your dice on something and end up with only 1-2 dice left, but that's a rare case.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Bubble-T posted:

I think the major complaint was that it's too easy to cheat which is still totally valid. I liked it and will probably buy it in the near future.

I would have called the prototype of this game "you shitheads better not be making mistakes for the Galaxy".

I don't believe I play with anyone who would cheat (unless they are simultaneously amazingly sly and also still lose :smug:). But a legitimate problem for honest play groups with this game are players that make occasional arithmetic mistakes and/or need people to pay close attention to their turns and lead them through it.

While its a drag, it's easy to follow along in something like Dominion and point out someone's miscalculations or improper execution of the cards and turn order. In Roll, this stuff is happening behind a screen and/or simultaneously. If the table halts to check someone's work or answer questions etc then the game can slow down to a crawl.

Also, people with AP can make abandon-heavy explore actions take forever. I think a timer is actually legitimate for that phase. This sounds jerky, but a big part of the appeal for me in this game is how fast it zooms when everyone knows what they are doing.

Basically, while this game sits in a class similar to Dominion for me in terms of being something that I feel confident I can teach to anyone (my mom played with us at the last get together and put on her gaming visor :3:), it's even worse than Dominion in terms of becoming tedious if people play too slowly and sloppily. Otherwise, I think it slots right in next to Dominion as a gateway game that's actually fun to play with gamers.

The game also has me curious about how many other games could have a loosely simultaneous turn order like this and get away with it. The design trade off of sequential play where the table sits and watches vs people just flying through their turns all at the same time is pretty fascinating. How many euros could be smooshed into a simultaneous variant, I wonder

TL;DR: this game is much less good if players force sequential play via not being able to execute their turns correctly without the table watching. Also, everyone should wear visors while gaming :3:

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Has anyone played Fantastiqa? It's the daily deal on coolstuffinc today.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Got it, haven't played it yet
I read the rules and it doesn't seem super slow - there's the basic game which looks to be about 1/3 of the length of the "epic" version, and there are also a few variants for shorter versions using some of the advanced components

Re: Forge War

Played the basic game last night with a few friends and it bogged down a fair amount after rules explanation -- took maybe 2.5 hours to play, although AP around the table (particularly my own) and unfamiliarity with the rules probably made for about 60 - 90 of those minutes. I liked it reasonably well enough (it's my copy) but my initial feeling was that there was something missing... It does feel like three separate games (mine, market, quest) put together and while I often like that, my gut reaction to the game is that there's some sort of extra element missing. I'm hoping the epic game will fix that, but the trick will be finding the time (as my group rotates players quite a bit) to actually give it a try. I'm still hopeful, but it wasn't the instant click of "Whoa. This is amazing." that Terra Mystica, Dominant Species, and Argent were for me this year when I played them for the first time.

edit: I realize that "extra element missing" is sort of obtuse. Not quite sure what to say about it because the concept's amorphous to me too. It's hard to say -- the three minigames feed into one another in terms of resource development and even manipulate one another with certain results (racing on quests, manipulating mine workers/foremen, buying/selling resources at your merchant stall), but they still feel a bit too separated from one another and the quests/weapons all feel a bit lacking in interesting mechanics given the theme.

I'll need to make room for a solo play to better pull my thoughts together. I just can't immediately recommend it as a buy, much as I want to (because the designer is a thoughtful guy and there is a lot that's interesting about his first game.)

Memnaelar fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 22, 2015

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
The missing extra element is too often development in these Kickstarters.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Also, the economy for Roll is fantastic imo. There are so many opportunity costs buried in each decision. Need to evaluate things in terms of actions spent, role selections spent, turns it takes before you benefit, actions/turns it will take to recoup your $$ and thus your actions, opportunity costs in vp vs future economic growth, actions to vp conversion, vp/turn rate, the balance vs action efficiency in working in a few different things simultaneously vs the turn advantage snowball of going all in on something and getting the benefits immediately, etc

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 22, 2015

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Dominion players who want to play online might find this post interesting:

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=12862.msg483335#msg483335

quote:

We're rewriting Goko's backend platform from scratch. Goko's platform is something like 30 different kinds of servers running in a large distributed network, which handle most of what goes on with the site ...but none of which knows anything at all about Dominion. We're replacing it with a server written for Dominion with a DB schema designed for Dominion. The point of this is maintainability (and therefore stability) and performance.

We're rewriting Goko's frontend client from scratch. The HTML5 animation library is actually pretty sweet, but we're replacing it with a Unity client that will work on tablets, run on personal computers natively, run on the web, and (later), run on phones.

The only thing we're keeping from Goko is the backend game server, which handles what happens in-game (rules, AI, directions about game to UI). As has been pointed out in this thread, there are known rules bugs mostly in rare edge cases (I track 14 of them), but in the grand scheme of things, addressing these will not be hard when we aren't swamped by more serious bugs in the core system.

Quote from: Watno on April 04, 2015, 05:41:48 pm
Also, i don't know how many people care about AI, are you sure this should be higher priority then getting Adventures out?
It's not a higher priority at all; it's part of getting Adventures out. A lot of users exclusively play AI.

Unity should produce something better than what they have now, I'll be interested in the results. In other news, I should have my copy today.

edit: Adventures is on the wiki http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Adventures

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Bubble-T posted:

I actually think the closest board game equivalent I've played is Through The Ages. Similar economic system but with actual friction, similar flat combat but with none of the endless clicking and counting, and most importantly when you want to move your units from economy to attack or vice versa it's a big loving decision not some tiny optimisation poo poo you have to do every turn for 16 turns. I'm really tempted to build something around a more euro economy and combat with kingdoms.
Oh, you're close to very right about this. I think TtA is closer in terms of traditional comparison, while Yomi is closer in terms of topical comparison. Yomi has nothing to do with Prismata other than that Prismata and Yomi claim to be, something which Yomi succeeds at perfectly and Prismata fails at perfectly. Through the Ages is a closer overall comparison, being a wargame without a map that has intense worker economies and where you bleed to death from a cut you took an hour ago.

Lichtenstein posted:

Thank you for having good opinions.
It's a real shame about Relic. I'd absolutely love to play a complete version of CoH (1) with balanced units and factions. (Bad opinion time: I liked the idea of Dawn of War 2 even if it was just an arcadey version of CoH.)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

quote:

A lot of users exclusively play AI.

Wowzers.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Broken Loose posted:

Oh, you're close to very right about this. I think TtA is closer in terms of traditional comparison, while Yomi is closer in terms of topical comparison. Yomi has nothing to do with Prismata other than that Prismata and Yomi claim to be, something which Yomi succeeds at perfectly and Prismata fails at perfectly. Through the Ages is a closer overall comparison, being a wargame without a map that has intense worker economies and where you bleed to death from a cut you took an hour ago.

It's a real shame about Relic. I'd absolutely love to play a complete version of CoH (1) with balanced units and factions. (Bad opinion time: I liked the idea of Dawn of War 2 even if it was just an arcadey version of CoH.)

Dawn of War 2 had amazing potential and good systems in place, but it didn't get nearly the love it needed post-launch. Being an arcadey version of CoH isn't a bad thing by any means.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Toshimo posted:

Wowzers.

I can relate to that. I find chat during games to be distracting, so in general I don't play MP games. Hearthstone lets you squelch people, so playing there is like playing an AI.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Lorini posted:

I can relate to that. I find chat during games to be distracting, so in general I don't play MP games. Hearthstone lets you squelch people, so playing there is like playing an AI.

If you are only playing against the AI, you may as well play against Dominion.net. The AIs are both awful and at least Dominion.net has a good interface.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Toshimo posted:

Wowzers.

I'm one of those users because in my experience finding a human opponent takes forever and is super difficult!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

No, I don't play the AI on goku, if I play, it'll be pre-arranged games with friends.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Toshimo posted:

Wowzers.

I think 75% of my Dominion experience is with random kingdoms vs the AI. 25% is curated kingdoms with friends.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

S.J. posted:

Dawn of War 2 had amazing potential and good systems in place, but it didn't get nearly the love it needed post-launch. Being an arcadey version of CoH isn't a bad thing by any means.

Precisely. An RTS that plays out in 10-15 minutes based off the best RTS ever made sounds amazing. Then... well, Relic happened.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

ChiTownEddie posted:

Really interesting read.

He also left the rating at 9.5. :P

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lorini posted:

Dominion players who want to play online might find this post interesting:

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=12862.msg483335#msg483335

Unity should produce something better than what they have now, I'll be interested in the results. In other news, I should have my copy today.

edit: Adventures is on the wiki http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Adventures

My problems with Goko do not revolve around the client they had. They revolve around them having stored sensitive information in plain text format. This is not something they can rectify.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
The interface becomes somewhat tolerable with Dominion Salvager

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Jedit posted:

My problems with Goko do not revolve around the client they had. They revolve around them having stored sensitive information in plain text format. This is not something they can rectify.

No, they can't change the past, you're right about that. The plaintext passwords however, were changed years ago.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Jedit posted:

If you're going to stop trusting every company that ever has a major security gaffe you'd better just start a homestead.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Lorini posted:

No, they can't change the past, you're right about that. The plaintext passwords however, were changed years ago.

That level of incompetence is telling, though. I'm not buying digital goods from someone who by all rights ought to be going out of business tomorrow, taking my e-cards with them.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Lorini posted:

They were also done by a completely different company. Goko no longer exists, Making Fun is now handling Dominion Online.

EDIT: to add more to this, this is pretty exciting news. I had written off Dominion Online after Goko made a giant cluster gently caress mess out of it. I knew that Making Fun has taken over a little while back, but they didn't seem to be fixing things. Reading this guy's posts, it sounds like Making Fun has to keep the Goko version up and running while creating a completely new version it from scratch to correct all the mistakes. But at the same time it sounds like they have a much better plan and a better idea on how to do things overall. Tentatively looking forward to this now.

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 22, 2015

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
DoW 2 was an incredibly flawed game and could never really figure out how to balance the 3 tier tech tree, cheap infantry spam, and run away leads with a few early wins with suppression. It just... never... fit. Dawn of War 3 is my most wanted sequel that will never happen :(

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Can someone write some words about Argent: The Consortium? I've seen the thread praise it, but I don't actually know much about it. It's on sale and I'm considering buying it, but I don't really know much about the gameplay or what makes it special.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

CodfishCartographer posted:

Can someone write some words about Argent: The Consortium? I've seen the thread praise it, but I don't actually know much about it. It's on sale and I'm considering buying it, but I don't really know much about the gameplay or what makes it special.

Extremely modular, cutthroat as all getout, directly competitive worker placement game. It also has elements of combos and "gently caress you" thrown in. Basically, there is a lot going on.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Imagine a worker placement game where instead of getting points, you're trying to be first in the most of 12 different races, 10 of which are unknown to you. It's not just about action or economy efficiency (although it certainly helps), it's about either pulling so far ahead of other people that their attempting to catch up to you is just pure hubris, or hobbling the poo poo out of people trying to catch up. It is also about knowing which races will be lost to you regardless of what you do, and abandoning them in lieu of focusing on tighter races. Each of your workers does something different and can/needs to be used in certain ways to maximize their use.

This is a rather abstract perspective, but like OmegaGoo said, there is a goddamn lot going on. I'd recommend reading the manual and seeing if the mechanics jive with you.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Buy it. It's absolutely an amazing game if you're at all interested in games that take ~2-3 hours.

The best way to get a handle on the mechanics is to watch the Watch it Played episode on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qymq6wbAQsI

It's a great worker placement game where you can mess with other player's workers, which makes it play very differently from other worker placement games. Also, because the victory conditions start out mostly unknown, you have varying levels of deduction to figure out which victory conditions are in play at any point in time. Each worker has its own unique ability as well.

On top of that, the game comes with tons of room tiles, each room tile is double sided, and worker abilities are also double sided. There are tons of way to shake up the gameplay and no two games will play the same. Even if you somehow magically managed to get the exact same setup twice, people will still react differently based on which votes they mark.

Buy it. It's a fantastic game.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Argent has quickly become my favorite worker placement game both due to its good mechanics as well as its overall perfect execution on theme. It is a tight tense game that is incredibly modular.

I could go over the mechanics, but this review on BGG does a decent enough overview:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1269808/review-argent-consortium

Argent is great when playing with people who love to plot out there move and optimize their gameplay. Despite its Ameritrash appearance and stylings, the game is all Euro. Every game is tight, and no one feels like they are out of the game to the very end. If you have a playgroup of moderate to heavy gamers I cannot recommend the game enough. It is a lot of fun, and a nice change of pace from the typical stodgy Eurogame like Spice Traders of the Mediterranean: Farmers of the Caves, a Castle Building Game (note, not a real game)

However, the game has 5 main problems that could turn someone off:

1) The game has perfected the ability to cause AP by having so many possibly relevant things on the board simultaneuosly. Players prone to AP will have problems playing in a timely fashion. My playgroup can get a 5 player game done in 2 hours, but with some players it can go upwards of 3 hours.

2) It takes all the table real estate. This game is massive, with oversized cards and tiles that massively expand the size of the game. They help with the visual aesthetic but the game is massive, and is unplayable on small tables.

3) The rulebook sucks. Its badly organized and doesn't cover corner cases well. This on top of a few typos can really ruin some players experiences. Luckily, there is a ongoing FAQ thread on BGG here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1314204/official-erratatypofaq-list

4) The artwork and theme is definitely influenced by anime art. Though not a real problem the highly exaggerated and cartoony look does turn off some players ( the same ones who wont play Tragedy Looper for the same reason). Though this bullet point is a pro for me you have to evaluate your group before making the decision.

5) The game can be VERY mean. I mean incredibly mean. Though its hard to actively burn someone out of the game, a person can spend their resources to gently caress you out of a specific spot and ruin your plan. Half the game is playing around people's ability to do this, but when you didn't account for what the other players may do to you it can hurt. Some players are more okay with this than others.

With those problems in mind, I still cannot recommend the game highly enough. Its fun, its thematic, its highly strategic and infinitely variable. This is an amazing game, and I think any gamer who doesn't at least try it is doing themselves a massive disservice.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 22, 2015

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I don't have anything new to add to what everyone else has said, but I'll pile on the praise as well. I've played it twice so far, both times with the 3p beginner setup, and I've loved it, besides some minor rule messups.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Madmarker posted:

5) The game can be VERY mean. I mean incredibly mean. Though its hard to actively burn someone out of the game, a person can spend their resources to gently caress you out of a specific spot and ruin your plan. Half the game is playing around people's ability to do this, but when you didn't account for what the other players may do to you it can hurt. Some players are more okay with this than others.

There are some cool things that balance this - getting spells and abilities that place mages in shadow spots stop them from being targetable, there are reactions to protect mages, and if someone focuses all of their resources on stopping one player, other players are going to win. I don't think the game would be that much fun with two players just because of the lack of a third party taking advantage of the conflict, but it's fantastic with three or more players.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

There are some cool things that balance this - getting spells and abilities that place mages in shadow spots stop them from being targetable, there are reactions to protect mages, and if someone focuses all of their resources on stopping one player, other players are going to win. I don't think the game would be that much fun with two players just because of the lack of a third party taking advantage of the conflict, but it's fantastic with three or more players.

Agreed, there are tons of things you can do about it, however, some people are turned off by the very idea of their action being hosed with, hence why I listed it. Honestly I think the player interaction and defenses are crucial parts of what make the game so fun.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Madmarker posted:

Agreed, there are tons of things you can do about it, however, some people are turned off by the very idea of their action being hosed with, hence why I listed it. Honestly I think the player interaction and defenses are crucial parts of what make the game so fun.

This actually has me interested in this game. My group tends to get bored of the 'multiplayer solitaire' type games pretty fast, but games were you can screw over your buddy and/or call someone a dirty cylon are usually a hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

drat Dirty Ape posted:

This actually has me interested in this game. My group tends to get bored of the 'multiplayer solitaire' type games pretty fast, but games were you can screw over your buddy and/or call someone a dirty cylon are usually a hit.

Argent would be a good choice then. It's the exact opposite of multiplayer solitaire. Your dudes are probably not going to stay where you put them.