Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I like the note on Erik to the effect of "we got some designs for a legitimate soldier in a real army, because not everyone was caught up on the fact that this was actually a high school game".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Anisette Quest 3

Yeah! That was perfect! You're ready to take that routine on the road, man!

I did it! Oh, Avan darling. I finally did it! I see a breakneck montage of these weeks of training whenever I close my eyes. But this is no time to dwell on the sacrifice. Today, after school, my sister will be arriving!

All right, next up is prep for the big concert. We've got to go spread the word!

Yes, darlings! I'll be giving a big concert today out on the drill grounds!

We're going around telling folks now. You guys should come! It'll be fun!

Er. I... I have something really, reeeally important to take care of today...

A-And I, um... I feel like I'm coming down with a bad case of, er, black death!

*drags both back forcefully* I'll see both of you there today. RIGHT, DARLINGS?

...Yes, ma'am.

Oh, that'd be us.

We have the place reserved today for actual drilling.

Wh-What?!

Honestly, it's gauche to use this historic academy as a place to play idol. It's stunts like this that explain why nobody has any respect for your class.

I mean, he has a point.

Anyway, if you must hold your little concert, do it someplace else.

*students leave*

Aww, that's rough. I guess we could do it at the--

"Play" idol?!

Uh, Anisette?

Absolutely unforgivable! Slandering the idol's path is slandering my sister!

Are we seriously going to put multiple soldiers unconscious just to cover a lie?

We are, aren't we....

They are literally practicing right now. We are barging in on important practice that could save their lives down the road!

This is not ethical at all.

Oh no.

I can see just how serious you are about becoming a star now.

Sister Edy?!

Sister? Well, you don't look like a nun, so I'm assuming you're related.

Oh, goodness! To think there are still people who don't know me. Well, I'm in an extra good mood today, dear, so I'll tell you.

And they say it was one star-slash-heroine that held that squad together.

I am that star... Edy Nelson!

Star-slash-heroine? ...What, you're serious?

As a bullet to the head, darling! And speaking of, mind your tone, or else.

Anisette, dear, don't keep me waiting. Let's see this big concert!

Gladly! Here we go, Avon!

What? Why me?!

Oops, sorry. Man, you've gotten good at this.

Well of course! Now for the spin... and vogue!

Uh...vogue!

*crowd* applauses*

That was lovely, darling. I'm impressed! I would feel guilty if I didn't repay you in kind. Ooh, how about a song?

Ooh, would you?! Oh, please!

Only for you, Anisette. How could I say no? Now then, here we go...

Waugh?! This grinding... screeching... Is this-- How is this singing?!

Oh, sister. As always, your voice is revolutionary!

I look forward to it! Do take care, Edy!

*Edy leaves*

Sh-She's finally gone. Augh, my ears are still ringing.

I swear, Edy. One day I'll perform the way you do!

Wh-What ever is the matter, Avon?

Everything! Look, I won't tell you not to look up to her.

But that voice! Whatever you do, don't take after her singing voice!

Well, uh, that happened. Anisette learns a full HP recover Potential, which is cool I guess.

Let's never speak of this again.

Oh, I'm fine. Honestly, you're such a worrywart.

*Edy arrives*

Edy?! Why are you...?

I came by to pay a visit to my darling sister. You all are an afterthought! You and I fought for the throne as the idol of Squad 7, Alicia...

Until you got married and threw in the towel, I came to formally claim victory!

Ha ha ha... Same old Edy.

I think we can both agree that the role of wife suits you better anyhow.

Are you seeing anyone now, Edy?

There are so few men who can keep up with me. Unfortunately for them.

I-I see.

Well, all right, darlings. I've seen your lovestruck, mawkish faces. I'm off!

But let me be quite clear. You had better live "happily ever after"! *leaves*

Ha ha ha! She never could just speak her mind.

I thought it was sweet. Thank you, Edy.

Vario Quest 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg5fFhelBnk

*slams door*

That's gotta be that guy in there. *Enters room*

Lao... nh? Oh, hey, Avan. Come here to listen to me belt one out?

Get real! And what are you doing in here caterwauling at full blast?

What, don't you know who I am?!

Cat, I'm one of GaIlia's brightest rising music sensations. Vario Kraatz! Hayseeds like you may not have gotten the memo yet, but I'm going major.

Wow, so you're going to go touring and all that?

You know it, baby! Pretty amazing, right? Or I WOULD be, if only! If only, man!

When I got dragged here to Lanseal, that record deal dried up! Fame's a harsh mistress, but this is just unfair. I'm not even famous yet!

So, basically, you're NOT going major. Or touring.

Which reminds me! I've got something else to add to that list, Mr. Chair. I'm not doing any class- related stuff here. Not one bit! You dig it, man?

What?! No!

It's only fair, cat! Who's dumb enough to sweat for a place he got forced into? Aaaaah! Even just thinking about it gets me steamed!

Only thing for it is to sing it out! You're here to hear me, right?

Not especially. *Slowly walks away*

Well, it's your lucky day, cat! Just try not to swoon on me, baby!

*Time passes*

So, what'd you think? So numb and tingly you can't move an inch?

No, I'm just too exhausted to stand up.

Yeah, fair enough. I'm not singing for anybody but me here!

Oh, good. You're both here. Let's get started on your extra lessons.

What?! You're in remedial music, too?!

I told you, man. Philistines!

This has not been a good week for Avan's ears.

Anisette artwork

N-No mention of breast size? Is it a miracle?

Vario Kraatz

Personal Potentials:
Fancies Women - Having women around fires up their fighting spirit, raising firing accuracy.
Acrobat - High places excite them, raising their attack power against infantry targets.
Headstrong - Their selfish behavior lowers the chance of inflicting status aliments when attacking.

Vario is a weird unit, seemingly dedicated to being a Mortarer. He's a decent unit to have for far-away tank sniping since he has two accuracy-raising Potentials, and effectively no bad ones.

Tae fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 22, 2015

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Haha, they were worried whether their anime caricatures could pass as relatives?

I mean if they aren't explicitly different races how could you ever tell?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Tae posted:

*drags both back forcefully* I'll see both of you there today. RIGHT, DARLINGS?

this is a mistake but don't change it

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Alright, what the gently caress is an Idol and what the hell was the point of any of that?

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Night10194 posted:

Alright, what the gently caress is an Idol and what the hell was the point of any of that?

I can answer one of these two questions: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_idol

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

King of Bleh posted:

I can answer one of these two questions: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_idol

Okay, that's probably the most depressing thing I've seen today.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
It is really depressing and I cringe a little every time one of these types of characters shows up.

Drachir D Nalem
Aug 14, 2012
I might be dumb to be irked by it, but why do the women's winter uniforms keep their legs bare? Just covering their arms won't help much in keeping the warmth.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

this is a mistake but don't change it

I said don't change it you never listen god

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I know I should hate Vario, but I just can't. He's just as over-the-top cartoonish as the others but for some reason I can't help but enjoy him.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Drachir D Nalem posted:

I might be dumb to be irked by it, but why do the women's winter uniforms keep their legs bare? Just covering their arms won't help much in keeping the warmth.

It's not that cold in Gallia. The only mention of it being cold at all are when they're in the mountains and that one time Alexis chopped ice in half with her fists.

edit: I put one sentence descriptions for the characters on the front page.

Tae fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 22, 2015

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Drachir D Nalem posted:

In Japan, fashion is a life or death matter. I reading reading a news story about how one school actually banned pants in the winter, despite complaints.

I mean, in real life.

Anyway, Anisette's character doesn't make much sense until you realize that Edy turned out to be the most popular character from VC1, an ensemble darkhouse. So all subsequent releases in the series (the anime, this game, etc) made Edy much more prominent. She's sort of retroactively a main character.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Tae posted:

It's not that cold in Gallia. The only mention of it being cold at all are when they're in the mountains and that one time Alexis chopped ice in half with her fists.

edit: I put one sentence descriptions for the characters on the front page.

Thanks for this, because I can't pay close attention to most of this poo poo and I'm not sure I have any memory of half the cast despite technically reading every update.

Case in point: why is Erik's description GET BENT?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Erik is a check-mark bad boy blonde as described in his artbook page, and the most famous blonde bad boy (secretly nice, sweet guy) is Kanji from Persona 4. His catchphrase for some reason is "Get Bent!" which is a weird substitute "gently caress off!"

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Lotish posted:

Thanks for this, because I can't pay close attention to most of this poo poo and I'm not sure I have any memory of half the cast despite technically reading every update.

Because he is almost precisely Kanji.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Lotish posted:

Are you saying this threads likes dudes?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
As a reminder Edy was super popular in Japan for... reasons?! Which is why she shows up and is brought up so much in the various games.

On the flipside, the west loved Marina because they were cold unfeeling being and sympatheized with her I guess. Also because she was the best. I don't think she got any "fan-service" stuff outside of the first game's DLC, tho.

I never used Vario and am now extremely disappointed, tho.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Oh right, the cup tournament thingie. Sorry if I'm not as rushed to complete it compared to say the 2nd ethnic cleansing this year.

HAH

Alright, this mission is to kill the medium tank at the end of the 3rd map. Not exactly a hard task in itself, except it forces Avan in a no-camp deployment area. Rene will join with him to clear a tank or two on the way to capturing that nearby base.

It's important to leave someone else, so you don't have to waste CP to deploy a guard unit. Getting our base captured is probably the easiest way to fail this mission, and it's surrounded by a lot of units. Erik or Anisette would be great guards, but sadly they're on the bench and I'm honestly running out of Shocktroopers that aren't Zeri.

First thing is Avan clearing the way for Rene to survive her trip to killing that tank. I'm getting kinda fortunate with these Fencer kills because the enemy can absolutely dodge while crouched.

Always remember that tank turrets have a start-up and reset their rotation every time they need to attack. Stop, aim, stop, aim to make Lancer runs less suicidal.

With the new base under our command, Lavinia comes out and carries Rene to the next base in sight.

Rene gets out and kills a 2nd tank before capturing her 2nd base. MVP so far.

Vario's going to take out the 3rd tank since Rene's hitting AP Fatique pretty quickly.

With the next turn planned out, Zeri captures the bottom base of map 2 so Marion will be less overwhelmed from the enemy turn.

Rene starts turn 2 with a bang, although killing the soldier is just a nice bonus. The real goal is to have Rene get ahead so Lavinia can pick her up for the rest of the way to the objective.

I still can't believe we were warned aboutEngineers.

I mean, seriously.

Class G takes the round!
We really made it to the finals!

Wow, I'm kind of surprised to hear that, coming from--
Few get the privilege of facing Class A in combat. You must be proud.
Oh, right. That.
I must say, your tactics are truly senseless.

Girl, I A ranked a whole turn before the requirement.

You ignore every basic precept of strategy and lack any sense of order.
Who asked you, anyway?
And you seem paralyzed by your obsession with the people around you. A leader must be prepared to sacrifice even himself for victory.

She is way into sacrificing for results. Waaaaay too much.

What?! That's crazy!
That is the weight of the office of the commander. Leon Hardins would agree.
You really think Leon...

I've got little use for a leader who's going to up and die on me.
Uh...thanks?
You again?
There's nothing more arrogant and irresponsible than abandoning one's men. Even if it does ultimately win the battle at hand.

I'm pretty sure that's treason, also not helping out his case.

Hey, now!
I'll be the first to grant that you're a skilled tactician, Juliana. But it will take more than mere strategy to beat us.
Hold your tongue, Darcsen! I will not be lectured by the likes of you! And you will not address me so casually in the future. Understand? I'll see you and all of your little friends flayed in the finals! *leaves*

She's worked hard in her own way to set where she is, and she's confident. I even agree with a lot of what she says.
You do need to focus more out there, or you're going to get hurt, Avan.
Oof...
Well, we're still gonna cream them in the finals. She'll eat her words!
I know we can win!

I'm so glad the Rebels just decided to take a month again! So considerate!

Sketches of classmates

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I forgot who Coleen is. What was her gimmick again?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Clarste posted:

I forgot who Coleen is. What was her gimmick again?

She hasn't had a quest started yet.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

You wrote "Spicy" in the opening post, but that doesn't ring any bells at all. How can we call their character introduction skits a success if we don't even know what her gimmick is yet?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

She doesn't really have a gimmick personality, other than being yet another classmate that will ask Avan on hook-ups. The problem is that I'm desperate for Lancers right now (With Reiner benched and Noel being a Mortarer), so Vario and Rene are doing the heavy load.

Because Coleen has a Potential that occasionally prevents her from attacking.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

I am trying not to completely explode at this.

I realize it became kind of a melancholy war anthem in the after years, but...

That was Rosie's song. You were in the same goddamn squad as her and if you didn't pay attention to why she sang it in the first place YOU ARE THE WORST PERSON.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
By the way, kind of an aside but is there a reason why you need a ridiculous workaround involving using your ps3 to play this game on a Vita? Been kind of tempted to replay this after reading the LP(I don't get it either) and my old psp isn't working anymore, so...

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hopeford posted:

By the way, kind of an aside but is there a reason why you need a ridiculous workaround involving using your ps3 to play this game on a Vita? Been kind of tempted to replay this after reading the LP(I don't get it either) and my old psp isn't working anymore, so...

I'm not sure what you're asking. I'm using an emulator.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the general you, not the specific you

the answer is no one knows, some vita games just work like that for some reason

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Glazius posted:

I am trying not to completely explode at this.

I realize it became kind of a melancholy war anthem in the after years, but...

That was Rosie's song. You were in the same goddamn squad as her and if you didn't pay attention to why she sang it in the first place YOU ARE THE WORST PERSON.

And she also bitches out at Alicia because she wants to be the star of the war. Alicia involuntarily unlocked her powers, and people suddenly started to treat her like a god. She hated her popularity because the people she knew suddenly became cold and didn't even consider her human anymore. She didn't want to have either powers or popularity, she just wanted a quiet life in a peaceful country with the person she loved.

Edy is awful person.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Tae posted:

I'm not sure what you're asking. I'm using an emulator.

I worded myself a bit badly, gonna blame trying to use as few words as possible because of using my phone haha. My bad.

I mean that right now, for some bizarre reason the psn store works in a bizarre way where to get the game running on a vita you need to first download it to a ps3 then transfer it to the vita. Was wondering if anyone had any idea if there was a story behind why it's so weird to get it running.

edit:

Cake Attack posted:

the answer is no one knows, some vita games just work like that for some reason

Huh, I see. Time to dust off my old ps3 I guess!

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
She's also sadly the only woman on the force not named Rosie, Alicia, or Aika who had a personality past "Let me tell you how much I hate the Darcsens/empire." Not that being a terrible singer and person all around is a good personality, but she was enthusiastic about it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Ardeem posted:

She's also sadly the only woman on the force not named Rosie, Alicia, or Aika who had a personality past "Let me tell you how much I hate the Darcsens/empire." Not that being a terrible singer and person all around is a good personality, but she was enthusiastic about it.

Isara's dead, but she had a personality.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'm also sympathetic to Pete, I'm starting to be racist against Zeri specifically too.

When does the plot extract the giant stick up his rear end?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I need a new page for a new month, so here's 4 more character sketch pages:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Even the designers were mixing up Magari and Mischlitt.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

When does the plot extract the giant stick up his rear end?

Probably not until Avan saves his life/he get's laid by that really racist girl.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Ardeem posted:

She's also sadly the only woman on the force not named Rosie, Alicia, or Aika who had a personality past "Let me tell you how much I hate the Darcsens/empire."

Pretty sure Jane just Liked Murder in general.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Let's see, going by the cast section in the OP there are about 25 classmates (not counting the main cast) with 3 events each. That's at least 75 events. The number of events already completed: 33; looks like we're not even half finished with them.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Monkey Fracas posted:

You don't gently caress with a woman's flower stand.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Monkey Fracas posted:

She liked murderin' Imps even more than just general murder,, but she's a fan of both.

Good old Jane. She had the right idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Mraagvpeine posted:

Let's see, going by the cast section in the OP there are about 25 classmates (not counting the main cast) with 3 events each. That's at least 75 events. The number of events already completed: 33; looks like we're not even half finished with them.

You're forgetting that some of those events where from the main plot. :suicide:
I think we're still due another classmate or two, starting from scratch of course. Grind, player, grind :suicide:. Although I may be misremembering.

• Locked thread