Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

hot sauce posted:

So I'd never heard of the CD-i until discovering this thread, but it seems like it's discussed on every page. Is there something I'm missing about this system that is good? All the games look like turds based on the youtube videos I watched :shrug:

It doesn't have to be stupid expensive but sadly it is nowadays just because of it's obscureness.

I snagged a Goldstar for super cheap a few years ago and I love it, but don't know if I'd ever pay over $100 for one. I would describe it as the Windows 3.11 gaming console, incorporating the good and the bad. It really does feel like a powerful console that never actually uses its power, but it's got its own charm for sure.

-- Since I'm first post, here's a pic of the only video game related thing at the last flea market I went to:

(I would have paid up to $2 just because I live opening new old things)

And while I'm at it, got fed up with how my SNES and N64 games were being hidden under shelves and hard to get to. Got some scrap wood together, measured with the not excellent ECW game, cut this, cut that, bam now I've got an N64 shelf to put on top of my existing shelf, freeing up all kinds of room. Pic of it later tonight with filled to the brim cleaned/labeled games.

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Hey, the CD-i is a wonderland of fun if you're into lovely FMV games like me. I am amused that my zealousness has caused other people to believe that it might be a legitimately good system, however!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

hot sauce posted:

So I'd never heard of the CD-i until discovering this thread, but it seems like it's discussed on every page. Is there something I'm missing about this system that is good? All the games look like turds based on the youtube videos I watched :shrug:

The CD-i is pretty much the bottom of my list of systems worth collecting. And I count the Game.Com and Pippin in that list. It's in the top tier of :retrogames: while simultaneously being in the bottom tier of playable games with the added bonus of being a pain to maintain. What you have to remember is that this thread isn't populated by the guys rushing out to buy their old favorite NES games. Novelty has a lot of cachet with the posters here. As a result, there's plenty of people who want to get into CD-i collecting; it's different and that's enough.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
If you'd rather play a Game.com than a CD-i I just don't know what's wrong with you. I mean, it at least has Bluth games like Dragon's Lair and Space Ace, the only Galaxy Express game I'm aware of and stuff like The 7th Guest.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Caitlin posted:

If you'd rather play a Game.com than a CD-i I just don't know what's wrong with you. I mean, it at least has Bluth games like Dragon's Lair and Space Ace, the only Galaxy Express game I'm aware of and stuff like The 7th Guest.

Game.com versus CD-i: fight!

Does the CD-i have Duke? I think not.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
You can get a complete Game.Com library for under $300, or at least you could last year. Maybe $400 if you get the original Game.com and both versions of the Pocket Pro (the one with backlight and the one without).

It's at least an attainable goal even though only like Duke Nukem 3D, the built in Solitaire, and half of Williams Arcade Classics are at all tolerable on it.

Cd-i's main issue is that you can typically find a console unit for rather cheap untested, but then you gotta hunt down a working power supply and a controller that won't induce suicidal thoughts.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

Game.com versus CD-i: fight!

Does the CD-i have Duke? I think not.

Mad Dog McCree. Who Shot Johnny Rock? Voyeur. Defender of the Crown. Brain Dead 13. Flashback. Golgo 13.

I mean the real question is "do you like FMV and/or adventure games?" with the CD-i, honestly!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Picked up a Panasonic 25 inch CRT TV, which has a good picture quality, but the remote is shot, and the image is positioned just slightly too much to the left. Does anyone have any ideas if I can enter a service mode in Panasonic TX series TV's without the remote, and even with the remote, since I can't find anything for this particular model? (TX-25MD3E)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Caitlin posted:

Mad Dog McCree. Who Shot Johnny Rock? Voyeur. Defender of the Crown. Brain Dead 13. Flashback. Golgo 13.

I mean the real question is "do you like FMV and/or adventure games?" with the CD-i, honestly!

I think the real question is why aren't you playing those games on your PC, their original platform?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

I think the real question is why aren't you playing those games on your PC, their original platform?

Well why don't we just emulate everything? :v: I mean poo poo I'd have to run it in DOSBox and I am sure as hell not setting up a shtity old Pentium in my 1bdr apartment, haha. Also, telling me that Laserdisc games qualify for "PC, their original platform"? REALLY? I expect better of you!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Who Shot Johnny Rock owns. :) It's my favorite of those games because of the awesome puns, even better than The Last Bounty Hunter.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
A major benefit of the CD-i for early 90s FMV games is that it often has better video quality and more colors on screen then the competing consoles and often even computer releases. 3DO also had that advantage when it came out.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Caitlin posted:

Well why don't we just emulate everything? :v: I mean poo poo I'd have to run it in DOSBox and I am sure as hell not setting up a shtity old Pentium in my 1bdr apartment, haha. Also, telling me that Laserdisc games qualify for "PC, their original platform"? REALLY? I expect better of you!

Voyeur, Brain Dead 13, Flashback, and 7th Guest were developed for IBM-PC's. Defender of the Crown was developed for the Amiga. And after that you might as well get the Wii versions of Dragon's Lair, Space Ace, and Mad Dog McCree.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Thank God Random Stranger showed up to tell us how to retro. You're gonna be that pedantic you could at least know that Voyeur was on CD-i in 1993, not appearing on PC or Mac until 1995.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

I can only get a very exclusive episode of my beloved Thunder in Paradise on the CD-i so really that's worth it right there. :colbert:

harumph

Neo Rasa posted:

Thank God Random Stranger showed up to tell us how to retro. You're gonna be that pedantic you could at least know that Voyeur was on CD-i in 1993, not appearing on PC or Mac until 1995.

:iceburn:

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
I was going to reply with a list of good CD-i games, then decided to talk about my least favorite fighting game ever Rise of the Robots. Yes the CD-i had a version of this but as I was reading about it...I discovered it had a sequel!

I couldn't stand it and had to buy a cheap copy on ebay to experience it in its full glory. I own that game on so many different consoles I must play the sequel at least once. Hello long box

The stupid "this leads to that leads to this" retro bug got me again.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I actually have a complete copy of Rise 2 if anyone wants to take that godawful thing off my hands

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Tyson Tomko posted:

I was going to reply with a list of good CD-i games, then decided to talk about my least favorite fighting game ever Rise of the Robots. Yes the CD-i had a version of this but as I was reading about it...I discovered it had a sequel!

I couldn't stand it and had to buy a cheap copy on ebay to experience it in its full glory. I own that game on so many different consoles I must play the sequel at least once. Hello long box

I remember being so excited for Rise of the Robots on SNES when I saw the artwork in Gamepro. I got home from blockbuster and found out that you could only be the lovely blue guy. I was so disappointed :(

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln

Caitlin posted:

Well why don't we just emulate everything? :v: I mean poo poo I'd have to run it in DOSBox and I am sure as hell not setting up a shtity old Pentium in my 1bdr apartment, haha.

Real hardware owns bones.
Sim copter runs (or at least used to) like poo poo in emulators.

Plus the hardware is literally garbage now and can be had for a pittance.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Rise 2: Resurrection is actually not bad. It's not a very good fighting game but it's at least not in the worst fighting game ever made territory of Rise of the Robots and AD&D Ravenloft: Iron and Blood. Rise of the Robots is a pretty interesting game to study the marketing of. It had a massive amount of hype generated around nothing but the sleek look of the nameless bio-mechanical cyborg you play as. It actually was a really cool design for the time compared to the over-designed extreme attitude fighting game characters common in the 90s, and you can see aspects its aesthetic in stuff like Crysis and Warframe.

Not to say Rise of the Robots has any redeemable qualities at all, just the marketing for the game was extremely well done and built tons of hype just before its release.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Tyson Tomko posted:

How did this game ever get a sequel anyway? Did the original still sell well enough despite the terrible reception it received from everyone who played it?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

FrumpleOrz posted:

How did this game ever get a sequel anyway? Did the original still sell well enough despite the terrible reception it received from everyone who played it?

It had huge hype for the reasons I mentioned earlier so it sold really well at first but of course burned out fast due to how horrible a game it is. It actually did pretty well on fighting game starved platforms like PC and 3DO. Also notable is that, besides only really highlighting the main character design in its marketing, all the movies/screens/etc. of it were super deceptive, showing graphics and camera angles and such way beyond what was actually happening in any version of the game. With no internet at the time those were all you had to gauge its graphics by which were very hyped up as the most mind blowing ever.

Note how with the more 90s style fighting game designs in Rise 2, no one has heard of the game even existing. IIRC work began on Rise 2 like, almost before Rise of the Robots was even out so I guess they just figured may as well finish it. :)

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
I know I for one was a huge sucker with Rise of the Robots. The simple yet cool box art makes it look like it could be a genuinely good and stylish game and I couldn't wait to play it. I distinctly remember seeing 32 Meg Power everywhere when it came to this games advertising.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Also note the difference in ads for Rise 2, NWS for robot nipples. Tried to add the average 90s fighting game sensibilities to Rise's style and, uh...

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I remember Rise of the Robots being everywhere back then. They really went all in on marketing that thing to the point when I was reading a gaming magazine years later I was surprised to see Rise 2 being reviewed without having seen any fanfare at all. It had a score of 58/100 which was one of the lowest I ever remember seeing in that magazine at the time (a Spanish publication called Hobby Consolas).

In my misguided quest to own every PAL Saturn game ever made, I do have a copy of Rise 2. It is as rubbish as the magazine had described.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I used to have a promotional(?) render of the character from the Rise 1 box art holding a cigarette and a full glass of beer, in a "YOU WANNA HAVE A FUKKIN GO MATE" pose. I have no idea where it went and can't find it any more.

Well, that's my story.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I got that from my secret Santa last summer.

RodShaft posted:

MY SECRET SANTA GAME ARRIVED!

Rise of the Robots

I like how half the label is a block of txt.

I vaguely remember that this game exists. It's really hard to not Google this, but I want to go in blind.

So here's my predictions based on what I know of the game(it's called Rise of the Robots and is ~$1)

It's a beat em up. I'm either a human fighting against my robot overlords or a robot fighting against my human overlords and their robot slaves. (Probably the second one, sounds more fun)

The graphics will be junk and heavily Terminator inspired. Same for the sound and music. The gameplay wil be clunky and the real reason it's obscure. (I'm assuming all this because with a name like Rise of the Robots how can it be a dollar?)

Probably short like 4 levels.

I'm excited!

Edit: I'll post a trip report in an hour or so.

RodShaft posted:

Trip report: Rise of the Robots

I had to give it a good cleaning TWICE to get it to work. Will it be worth it?

Brian May? Holy crap? Is this going to be... Good?

Here we go.

No it's not good. It's sooooo not good.
I was wrong about the beat em up thing. It's a fighter. A bad bad Fighter. The first half of the round I wasn't even touched. Then I almost lost. I ended up cheesing with kicks to win.

The A button throws a kick that fazes an opponent for a second. On most opponents it will strike them when they are just far enough away for their ai to do nothing. So you just have to time it just right. The above guy got me though. The trick to him was jump kicks. There are all of 5 bad guys and you just have to find what single attack makes their Ai blank on what to do. I'm pretty sure that it would be impossible to beat this game without cheesing the ai because to make up for the Ai being dumb as bricks they do about 10 times the damage player 1 does. All your attacks do roughly the same amount of damage and it takes like 50 hits to win a round which is difficult to land in 60 seconds even cheesing.

The graphics are really good though. But the gameplay is slow and broke. The music is very much terminater influenced and I refuse to believe for a second Brian May had anything to do with it no matter what the opening screen said.

Overall I give it a 3. it doesn't matter on a scale of what. I can't help but think my santa sent me this game as punishment for defending Mortal Kombat earlier.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Random Stranger posted:

(Hmmm.... as long as I've got the Xbox hooked up to my capture box, I might as well pull out something special to share. Who likes Xbox games that were Japanese exclusives?)

Shikigami No Shiro?!? :haw:

It's gotta be Metal Wolf Chaos, right? :ohdear:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

e: rubbish post by rubbish poster.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 22, 2015

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Saoshyant posted:

Only like three people in the entire world own Metal Wolf Chaos + the hardware to play it. It is the gold standard of the retro economy.

If it's not, it will be at some point!

What do you mean by hardware, do you need something other than a modded Xbox? Maybe you're thinking of Steel Battalion (the one with the gigantic twin-stick mech controller thing).

Random Stranger posted:

No, the best version is Densha de Go! Final on the PS2. Best lines, most content, smoothest controls.

A while back I made a video where I ran through all of the PS2 games in the series along with a few from the rival series Train Simulator.

I'm watching this now. I was immediately reminded that they made special train-controls controllers for the PS1/Saturn/DC versions. I always used to see them on NCS back when I used to window shop for imports. Hahaha, they still have one - http://www.shopncsx.com/levercontroller.aspx

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Ofecks posted:

Maybe you're thinking of Steel Battalion (the one with the gigantic twin-stick mech controller thing).

Oh, oh yeah. That one. Nevermind.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

hot sauce posted:

Is there something I'm missing about this system that is good?

Nope

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

evobatman posted:

Is there anything at all of importance that a genuine Gamecube can do that can't be accomplished with a Wii with GC ports and Nintendont, besides Gameboy Player stuff? (And of course besides :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames: on component cables)

The best startup screen for a game system.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ofecks posted:

I'm watching this now. I was immediately reminded that they made special train-controls controllers for the PS1/Saturn/DC versions. I always used to see them on NCS back when I used to window shop for imports. Hahaha, they still have one - http://www.shopncsx.com/levercontroller.aspx

The single stick model is pretty common but it's the second worst Densha de Go controller. The best one to get is the double stick PS1 model which works with all the PS1 and PS2 games. The trolly controller is neat but it's limited. The Shinkansen controller has a foot pedal and a digital spedometer that really works (though on the Wii version it's just a sticker); the problem with that one is you have to play the Shinkansen game. There's also a controller that looks like a standard PS1 controller except it has brake and gas levers that you can get for $5, but that's a case of why bother with the special controller at all unless you go all the way.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Saoshyant posted:

Well, there is some retro stuff you can play on the DS. Chrono Trigger, Intellivision Lives, and Retro Game Challenge out of the top of my head. All worth checking out. For more DS recommendations go here. edit: And yes, get Ghost Trick ASAP.

Ghost Trick iOS version is also good.

I'll probably do a post on iOS Bubble Bobble and Puzzle Bobble games. One is really good but you generally want to avoid them.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Which controller is this?

I've had Densha de Go on N64 for I don't know how long and never unboxed it or played. I have no idea how I got it or when or even why.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

I've had Densha de Go on N64 for I don't know how long and never unboxed it or played. I have no idea how I got it or when or even why.

That's the better design that I was talking about, though obviously for the N64. The left stick is for the accelerator, the right hand one works the breaks, and the spot in the middle is for your pocketwatch.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Heran Bago posted:

Ghost Trick iOS version is also good.

I'll probably do a post on iOS Bubble Bobble and Puzzle Bobble games. One is really good but you generally want to avoid them.

Ghost Trick iOS is also broken on iOS8.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Caitlin posted:

There's a Galaxy Express 999 game for the PlayStation. And hey, it's by Polygon Magic, the developer of Galerians and Incredible Crisis!

Edit: And let's not forget Stepping Selection.

Kid Fenris fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

al-azad posted:

It's pretty awesome that you had this just lying around, you should play it it's lots of fun. I found this video really helpful for learning the game (doesn't really matter what version, I'm playing the DC ver and everything here worked for me)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng70_xRDTuI

Somebody sell me a DC DDG controller :(

d0s fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 22, 2015

• Locked thread