Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

jwh posted:

You actually still hit the second half of a 12DW7, but it's low mu (17).

It's really kind of a shame that the 12DW7 died out, because they were cool tubes, combining one half of a 12ax7 and one half of a 12au7 (or very similar).

For a while, people were talking about putting them in the first preamp position of a Champ or whatnot to get asymmetrical gain for harmonica.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

That's actually a great idea! The second stage of the 12dw7 would have a much easier time operating on an amplified harmonica signal without pushing the tube into cutoff.

Although it probably will happen anyway, since even at 2 volts rms of input signal, you're looking at pushing the first side of the 12dw7 with mu 100 into cutoff and saturation. The AA764 Champ only has about 200 volts on the plate of the first 12ax7 anyway.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
A little searching revealed it was mostly done with Blues Juniors,

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.
I've never modified an amp before, what's generally the effect of replacing lower wattage speakers with higher wattage speakers? Is there an increase in the openness of the sound? Like, would it make multiple looped tracks sound less crowded or is that happening in the amplification stage with headroom?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

You'll have some more headroom before you get physical clipping in the speaker, and likely different tonal characteristics, as higher wattage speakers usually have a larger voice coil and magnet. Coincidentally, PGS literally just did a demo video of the just-released reissues of Joe Naylor's All-Tone speakers in 50W and 100W 12" variants.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

Schpyder posted:

You'll have some more headroom before you get physical clipping in the speaker, and likely different tonal characteristics, as higher wattage speakers usually have a larger voice coil and magnet. Coincidentally, PGS literally just did a demo video of the just-released reissues of Joe Naylor's All-Tone speakers in 50W and 100W 12" variants.

Whoa that pretty much exactly answers my question and the answer is the one I was hoping for, thanks! :D I'm finding my greenbacks a little crowded sounding and I have some g12h100s laying around I'm going to try swapping in to see if it makes the difference I hope it does.

himajinga fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 9, 2015

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

hey all, first post in the amp thread, please be gentle:

so I'm looking for a small bedroom-style practice amp that's also good for recording, and ideally I don't want to spend more than $100. the two I'm looking at are the Vox Pathfinder 10 and the Vox AD30VT. I can get either one of these for about $80. anyone have any experience with either of these? I'm leaning towards the Pathfinder because there's one at the shop near me that I can try first, and I don't really need all the amp modeling that comes with the 30. but the 30 also has a preamp tube, and tubes are cool.

my current amp is a Peavey Classic 50, which I love, but I can't really get its full potential out of it without really cranking it up.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Local friend is unloading a Mesa Roadking and matching 4x12 for about $1000 USD. How fast should I be jumping on that and are those heads as awesome as they are spec'd? I pretty much always use a rectifier amp on my 11rack anyways.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Assuming he's not getting rid of it because there's something wrong, that's a low price.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Turns out, he had the wrong info (friend is the middle man). The head is a Marshall 410h and the cabinet is the Roadking fwiw.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
The only Marshall worth buying is a JCM800 but you probably know that already.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Mr. Wiggles posted:

It's a good amp.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Is it wrong that I actually like the DSL and JMP a bit better than the JCM?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

A Winner is Jew posted:

Is it wrong that I actually like the DSL and JMP a bit better than the JCM?

Yes, it's wrong. But fortunately you may have caught the disease in time and you can still defeat it with proper treatment. Go listen to Loveless twice and call me in the morning.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Huh. Will I be able to just set my JMP outside and have it hauled away, or will there be a charge for making the trash men deal with such a bad amp? How do you mod the JCM800 to get back to the rawer sound of the JMP?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

According to marketing materials, it says it can cover JM45 to JCM800 and beyond. Not sure I believe all that for the JVM410H. Also it's supposed to have just some of the nastiest hiss/hum on the super hot channels.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Gorgar posted:

Huh. Will I be able to just set my JMP outside and have it hauled away, or will there be a charge for making the trash men deal with such a bad amp? How do you mod the JCM800 to get back to the rawer sound of the JMP?

Put a ts808 into a distortion pedal into the front of the amp.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Yes, it's wrong. But fortunately you may have caught the disease in time and you can still defeat it with proper treatment. Go listen to Apocalyptic Raids twice and call me in the morning.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

hey all, first post in the amp thread, please be gentle:

so I'm looking for a small bedroom-style practice amp that's also good for recording, and ideally I don't want to spend more than $100. the two I'm looking at are the Vox Pathfinder 10 and the Vox AD30VT. I can get either one of these for about $80. anyone have any experience with either of these? I'm leaning towards the Pathfinder because there's one at the shop near me that I can try first, and I don't really need all the amp modeling that comes with the 30. but the 30 also has a preamp tube, and tubes are cool.

my current amp is a Peavey Classic 50, which I love, but I can't really get its full potential out of it without really cranking it up.

I own a Pathfinder 10 and I'd say try it out, because the VT has the extra power.. I still use the Pathfinder as a practice amp and it does sound great (At least the clean does; the drive is okay) with the classic Vox sound, but the VT will have that sound too. It's surprisingly low end friendly despite the 6.5" speaker. It does lack tweakability though. You get Gain, Volume, Treble and Bass. That's it. The VT has Mids and other amp effects. Although that being said, if you don't care for the effects and amp sims then it's great and probably on par with the VT except it lacks footswitching. But if you've got pedals in front (No FX loop obviously) then that's not so much of an issue.

The line out lacks speaker emulation by the way, so if you're recording through that you'll need a cab sim. So to recap, the VT might be a better choice if:
1. You need the extra power.
2. You want the amp/effect options.
3. You want to tweak mids.
4. You really don't want a 6.5" speaker.
5. It costs less/the same/a tiny bit more.

If you can get them at the same price I can't see what the Pathfinder would offer over the VT. I guess if you really hate digital amps?

Re: Marshall chat, I think the JCM 800 is cool and awesome, but screw one channel amps. Maybe one day when I'm rich I can get one and run a second amp for clean...

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

Put a ts808 into a distortion pedal into the front of the amp.

I get my distortion tones mainly out of a rangemaster clone, a fuzz face clone, and a distortion+, with the occasional HM-2 for variation, plus whatever I can get out of the power tubes via an attenuator. I don't own a tube screamer.

Here's sort of an amp question: what are the options for guitars that go well with a modern high-gain amp? I've got an Engl that doesn't seem to like my guitars that much. I mostly have vintage mahogany Gibsons and Guilds with humbuckers, and they all sound a bit muddy. I don't do seven-strings, and I don't much care for super strats. What's important in a guitar for a tight modern aggressive sound? I'm mostly concerned about getting an articulate sound out of palm-muted riffs.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Tight high output pickups.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Gorgar posted:

Here's sort of an amp question: what are the options for guitars that go well with a modern high-gain amp? I've got an Engl that doesn't seem to like my guitars that much. I mostly have vintage mahogany Gibsons and Guilds with humbuckers, and they all sound a bit muddy. I don't do seven-strings, and I don't much care for super strats. What's important in a guitar for a tight modern aggressive sound? I'm mostly concerned about getting an articulate sound out of palm-muted riffs.

Loud amp, noise gate, maybe an OD. Everything else is in the fingers.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

The Guilds have much tighter pickups than the Gibsons, and sound better with that amp. There's a built in noise gate. Do I really need an overdrive with an Engl? Loud is not a problem, it's 100W.

I really have no idea what modern metal players use these days.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It's very common to use a TS9 variant od with the gain on 0 and the volume maxed. It cuts out the low frequencies and boosts the mids for a really punchy cutting sound. If you hear that modern "scratchy" aggressive cutting high gain they're probably doing that.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

I own a Pathfinder 10 and I'd say try it out, because the VT has the extra power.. I still use the Pathfinder as a practice amp and it does sound great (At least the clean does; the drive is okay) with the classic Vox sound, but the VT will have that sound too. It's surprisingly low end friendly despite the 6.5" speaker. It does lack tweakability though. You get Gain, Volume, Treble and Bass. That's it. The VT has Mids and other amp effects. Although that being said, if you don't care for the effects and amp sims then it's great and probably on par with the VT except it lacks footswitching. But if you've got pedals in front (No FX loop obviously) then that's not so much of an issue.

The line out lacks speaker emulation by the way, so if you're recording through that you'll need a cab sim. So to recap, the VT might be a better choice if:
1. You need the extra power.
2. You want the amp/effect options.
3. You want to tweak mids.
4. You really don't want a 6.5" speaker.
5. It costs less/the same/a tiny bit more.

If you can get them at the same price I can't see what the Pathfinder would offer over the VT. I guess if you really hate digital amps?

Re: Marshall chat, I think the JCM 800 is cool and awesome, but screw one channel amps. Maybe one day when I'm rich I can get one and run a second amp for clean...

Thanks a lot for the tips, this'll help inform my decision somewhat. if i go used, i can get 'em for about the same price. i do like mids...

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
What's the consensus on the JCM600 though? Seen one locally and read a few reviews of things getting somewhat hot and people putting a fan there. Comes with c410a cabinet.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 24, 2015

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kilometers Davis posted:

It's very common to use a TS9 variant od with the gain on 0 and the volume maxed. It cuts out the low frequencies and boosts the mids for a really punchy cutting sound. If you hear that modern "scratchy" aggressive cutting high gain they're probably doing that.

This is why I recommended it, and other than the hm2 nothing you listed is what I would call a high gain pedal.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 25, 2015

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
edit: a friend has a Phaez built amp that is exactly what I was going to do that he will part with. Mind blown. Will report back.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 27, 2015

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Mr. Wiggles posted:

1962 Bluesbreaker.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Pretty sure that top guy is going to be coming home with me. The sound is pretty drat close to the bottom JMP. Channel two is a blackface fender.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
To clarify, the amp is a Phaez hand wired Duophonic (no longer made ). It has the SIBLY (Since I've Been Loving You) on the main channel, which is voiced as a Marshall JM45. It sounded pretty loving good for light crunch.

Flick the switch on the back marked "Plexi " and the roar begins to happen. Next to that, is an adjustable boost pot to add even more girth. Really fat stuff going on there. Absolutely in love.

The other channel is a sparkly clean Fender blackface with only volume and a tone stack. Very very clean. Could probably run my 11rack into the front of this side and control it with an ABY pedal for some effects.

Only downside is the amp doesn't have an effects loop, but I can contact Phaez in Windsor, Ontario, and have them put one in pretty cheaply. Friend has their 18w version that he uses a lot and his new JMP that finally got put together.

With EL34s it puts out 50w. Currently has 6v6s in it.

Edit. Post is not edit. Nothing to see here.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets
What's the first tube amp you think of when it comes to:

Small, two channel, great cleans, light to medium drive, loud enough to gig with.

My 15 watt carvin V16 wasn't cutting it with the lack of clean headroom.

I play mostly clean with no pedals. A footswitchable drive channel would be all I need.

I'm thinking of getting the big brother to my Carvin, the 50watt Nomad but I'm open to suggestions under $1000. Preferably around $500

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
Vox ac15 or 30.
Peavey classic 30.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Traynor YCV-40

(only posting this because I have one, but it easily checks all those boxes).

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Schpyder posted:

Traynor YCV-40

(only posting this because I have one, but it easily checks all those boxes).

https://reverb.com/item/568704-traynor-ycv-blue-50-watt

drat, too bad I don't live near Ohio.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Krustic posted:

Vox ac15 or 30.
Peavey classic 30.

Seem like solid options. Also seem easy enough to find just about anywhere on craigslist, especially the c30.

I'm seeing some fender supersonics that are at the upper end of what I wanted to spend (600-800), but I hear they are good amps.

Random question. Is just about every sub $1000 tube amp a bitch to repair if something goes wrong? Or does my tech has a vintage hand wired stick up his rear end?

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

philkop posted:

Seem like solid options. I never enjoyed the voxes enough to justify the weight. The Peavy was cool, and they're everywhere on craigslist.

I'm seeing some fender supersonics that are at the upper end of what I wanted to spend (600-800), but they look good on paper. I'll have to find one to try.

Random question. Is just about every sub $1000 tube amp a bitch to repair if something goes wrong? Or does my tech has a vintage hand wired stick up his rear end?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

No, PCBs are pretty awful to do repairs on

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Anyone have a recommendation on an amp that has 2, 2ohm taps to push this monster cab? Its a 4x10 2x15 rated around 2700 watts or something insane like that. We play really loud doom, and I'm keeping up with 2 full Orange stacks. Those Sunn heads blew up a couple of tours ago, and I sold them. I really liked the sound I got out of them, but Sunn gear is way over priced these days. I've been renting a Traynor YBA-2a for the last couple tours but it doesn't have enough muscle to run all those speakers at 8 ohms. We get a discount through Orange but their Terror bass 1000 only goes down to 4 ohm taps, and I fear ill have the same problem as the Traynor. I've been thinking maybe just do 2 Terror bass 500s, but 2 amps is always twice as many things to go wrong as I found out with the Sunns.

Edit: I've been running a Boss Bass overdrive pretty much all the way up for the dirt, I'm gonna try a bass Big Muff tonight and see how that sounds.
Another clarification, the cab can be run as 4 ohms for the 10s, 4 ohms for the 15s, or 8 ohms mono.

Pokey Araya fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrChu
May 14, 2002

SVT Classic? Mesa M6/M9 Carbine? Preamp into a stereo power amp?