Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Casyl posted:

Is there a way to get the free month to add to an existing sub?

Just cancel and reup. I think it should just add on more time. Not sure how this works with an annual account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Probably not the best place to ask this, but is the comixology android app prone to just assuming you want things in French or some reason? Because I'm in the US and I've never wanted anything but English material and yet it insists on randomly showing me French language versions of stuff a lot of the time. :psyduck:

It's weird as poo poo. Like if I search for Greg Rucka and click on the first Lazarus it's the French version, the English version doesn't even show up in the box until I expand it it to show everything. Why would it even do this?

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

I've seen a bit of this too. My gut says it's showing you the most recent releases of stuff and foreign language stuff usually takes some time to show up, so it often ends up on top.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I get a lot of French comics coming up on the website, so it's not just the app. (Of course the website search is provably terrible.)

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm new to comics; are the curated "playlists" on Marvel Unlimited real good places to start if I want to say, read about the Guardians of the Galaxy, Uncanny Xmen, Howard the Duck and maybe Thor?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Abu Dave posted:

I'm new to comics; are the curated "playlists" on Marvel Unlimited real good places to start if I want to say, read about the Guardians of the Galaxy, Uncanny Xmen, Howard the Duck and maybe Thor?

I dunno, but start on Thor: God of Thunder by Jason Aaron and you'll be the world's happiest boy.

e: If you're starting Uncanny X-Men with the new series, know it spins off from 'All-New X-men' and runs sort of in tandem. People whine about Brian Michael Bendis, but I really like these comics.

Guardians, start here https://marvel.com/comics/series/4885/guardians_of_the_galaxy_(2008_-_2010)
or a little further back in the events that they spun off from, Annihilation and Annihilation Conquest http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annihilation_%28comics%29

I'd say the recommendation thread would probably be more useful than Marvel's own tips.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 16, 2015

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sorry, looking to read some old uncanny xmen comics, I really enjoy that style of art work and characters.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Abu Dave posted:

Sorry, looking to read some old uncanny xmen comics, I really enjoy that style of art work and characters.

Start with Giant-Sized X-Men http://marvel.com/comics/issue/8797/giant_size_x-men_1975_1 which introduces Storm, Colossus, Wolverine and Nightcrawler, then move to UXM #94 where Chris Claremont starts writing and the new cast joins the comic.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 16, 2015

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
awesome thank you so much for the reccomendation.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

I've seen a bit of this too. My gut says it's showing you the most recent releases of stuff and foreign language stuff usually takes some time to show up, so it often ends up on top.

lifg posted:

I get a lot of French comics coming up on the website, so it's not just the app. (Of course the website search is provably terrible.)

At least I know it isn't just me now. Seriously though how hard would it be to add a few check boxes that would filter out the things you can't read?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Abu Dave posted:

I can think of several improvements to Marvel U but my chief one is the ability to share user made reading lists. Well actually my chief one is being able to have a pull list function but that's up there!

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

zoux posted:

I can think of several improvements to Marvel U but my chief one is the ability to share user made reading lists. Well actually my chief one is being able to have a pull list function but that's up there!

I've been using http://leagueofcomicgeeks.com for keeping track of Marvel U titles. Just filter to Marvel titles and roll back the date six months. It also has a handy pull list feature.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

vtlock posted:

I've been using http://leagueofcomicgeeks.com for keeping track of Marvel U titles. Just filter to Marvel titles and roll back the date six months. It also has a handy pull list feature.

I mean I can just follow the "recently added" section in the app. I mean the ability to subscribe to titles and have them automatically placed in your library.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

zoux posted:

My number one would be to add a "Add series to library" button. I have 3700 comics in my library added since December. One at a time.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
What's good in this Avengers sale?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

hadji murad posted:

What's good in this Avengers sale?

Avengers Under Siege 270-277

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bobkatt013 posted:

Avengers Under Siege 270-277

And while you're at it, #263 is the return of Jean Grey, and is the jumping off point for X-Factor which was a cool comic in my opinion.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
I'm trying very hard to remember any story arc from Avengers 300+ that I'd reread today and I'm failing just as hard.

I'm tempted by the 201-300 bundle though, as I have fond memories of that period and don't like MU. Plus, I already have the first 200 issues anyway. I already have the Under Siege issues though, got them during the crazy buy one get one Marvel sale.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.comixology.com/Convergence-Week-3-Sale/page/6258?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL3NtYWxsQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Batman and the Outsiders (1983) 1-21
Green Lantern (1976) 180-200
The Saga of The Swamp Thing 1-28
The Flash (1959) 340-350 (The Trial of The Flash)

https://www.comixology.com/Discover-the-Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Sale/page/6277?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL3NtYWxsQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Gonna read some Turtles!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This series is real good. I had picked up #1-28 on the previous sale so it's time to play catch up and buy the last 3 volumes which should get me up to #40.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Just be warned, the micro-series are all important, and make the reading order really tedious. Especially in trade form. It's definitely a good series though.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Image Eisner nominees sale!
https://www.comixology.com/2015-Image-Eisner-Nominee-Sale/page/6360

50% off anything from Saga, Walking Dead, The Wicked & the Divine, Southern Bastards, Pretty Deadly, or Madman released before 3/25/15. Hooray!

edit: Not automatic, be sure to enter code "EISNERS" at checkout! (Fortunately, Comixology support has historically been really good about adjustments/refunds if you screw this sort of thing up.)

onefish fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 23, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

onefish posted:

50% off anything from Saga, Walking Dead, The Wicked & the Divine, Southern Bastards, Pretty Deadly, or Madman released before 3/25/15. Hooray!

But no Avengers: The Crossing :(

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Endless Mike posted:

But no Avengers: The Crossing :(

That was earlier this week with Avengers issues 300-400. If you bought that bundle you are stupid and a better use of your money would be burning it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Is that new Avengers digital-first book any good?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

onefish posted:

I forgot to put in the code! :suicide101: Oh well, it was only three books.

Man, super idiot, I forgot to hit "submit" in the first place. All is well, I saved myself the $3.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 23, 2015

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

onefish posted:

Saga Vol 4, I've been waiting for this!

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

onefish posted:

Is Southern Bastards any good? I like Jason Aaron, and i seem to remember some good word of mouth on this.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

enigmahfc posted:

Is Southern Bastards any good?

Yeah!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

enigmahfc posted:

Is Southern Bastards any good? I like Jason Aaron, and i seem to remember some good word of mouth on this.

yup. if you liked Scalped, you'll like this.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AzraelNewtype posted:

Just be warned, the micro-series are all important, and make the reading order really tedious. Especially in trade form. It's definitely a good series though.

Is there a proper reading order list anyweres

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Abu Dave posted:

Is there a proper reading order list anyweres

http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2013/02/the-idw-tmnt-continuity-timeline.html

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
That's the reading list for IDW's TMNT run?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Solaris Knight posted:

That's the reading list for IDW's TMNT run?

With all the minis and such yeah.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Is there any reason to get the Image TPB equivalents over the single issues? Doing some quick math (which I'll admit is not my strong suit) it seems like it's quite often cheaper to get the single issues over the TPBs, and if anything the TPBs have less content.

I'm assuming it's just a weird pricing quirk because digitally the single issue price goes down, but just thought I'd see if there was something else I'm missing.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

If you're getting Saga, I'd get the single issues for the letters pages alone. I know people like the collections as it's less files to keep track of/easier to read in one go, but I never had a problem reading the individual comics instead.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The problem is that they have that weird detente with bricks-and-mortar. So dropping prices on back issues is fine, because shops either don't have any more stock, or drop the price themselves on that stuff, but TPBs are always the same price, or at least for a lot longer.

IDW and Boom, I think, are better about that, and normally price their digital trades so they're just barely cheaper than getting the singles.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

The problem is that they have that weird detente with bricks-and-mortar. So dropping prices on back issues is fine, because shops either don't have any more stock, or drop the price themselves on that stuff, but TPBs are always the same price, or at least for a lot longer.

IDW and Boom, I think, are better about that, and normally price their digital trades so they're just barely cheaper than getting the singles.

Well, now you have me paranoid that I've wasted even more money in the past, because I've only noticed it happening with Image books. Sure, you'll frequently get a situation where a collection of 6 books is on sale for $5.99 and the issues are 99¢ a pop, but I'm not going to sweat the extra nickel as I'd prefer to have less files to deal with as Uthor mentioned.

And since I'm venting I also wish Comixology did a better job of describing what are in the collected editions-hell, it's a crap shoot if they'll even identify the issue numbers in the collection, nevermind any bonus content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dark Horse 50% off everything
https://digital.darkhorse.com/