Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

For the design challenged, here are a couple of videos set to soothing music talking about aesthetics in city building. The results are maybe probably assuredly traffic hell-holes, but it does give some nice ideas in blending zones, curb appeal and so on.

Raillway design: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYu1nBelDgU
Farm zone blending: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQaqmAiDaOc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Not using anything from the workshop, how do I merge two one-way roads into a single two way road?

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?

good jovi posted:

I...I've wasted my life...

It's not very intuitive, I think I discovered it by reading a post about it.

Knifegrab posted:

Not using anything from the workshop, how do I merge two one-way roads into a single two way road?

Use an on ramp if you don't want there be a stop light.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Knifegrab posted:

There's no way to do it pretty. The intersection created when you attach the one way roads to a two way road looks like rear end, but it works. It always makes an intersection too (that is, there might be stop lights), which is unfortunate because it logically doesn't make sense.

My alternate solution is to put a roundabout in the middle of it, at least it looks nice.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

TheGreySpectre posted:

It's not very intuitive, I think I discovered it by reading a post about it.

Use an on ramp if you don't want there be a stop light.

I basically am trying to take the starting two on and off ramps, and merge them into a single road, I know it might be ineffiicent down the line, but right now I can seem to merge them together, I just get a "space is already occupied" message when tryiing to smush htem into a two way.

Kikaimegami
Feb 4, 2005
Machine Goddess
The Zion National Park map is pretty great.

Surprisingly, traffic only gets weird in a few places.

EDIT: And it renders really oddly zoomed out like that...

Kikaimegami fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 22, 2015

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Knifegrab posted:

I basically am trying to take the starting two on and off ramps, and merge them into a single road, I know it might be ineffiicent down the line, but right now I can seem to merge them together, I just get a "space is already occupied" message when tryiing to smush htem into a two way.

It's all about the angle they meet at. There has to be at least 20 or 30 degrees between two legs at an intersection before the game will accept it.
Learn to use the curved road tool, it takes a little practice but is invaluable.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also turn off the snap to grid button when doing exotic connections, it's still really fussy but you have fewer lines of code trying to interpret what you want and that improves the odds of getting the desired result.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
I sure hope that the tunnels update will allow me to create a Boston Big Dig style highway system, just so I can hide my highways and build over absolutely everything, bringing my computer to its knees whilst bas-

OK, maybe I was going a bit too overboard but being able to build underground highways would be cool from a purely aesthetic sense. It's just I like the idea of having a mostly unobstructed city where most of the highways are hidden from view, sort of like Oslo but not Norwegian!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Underground highway system didn't even occur to me and now I too hope to be able to do that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It'll be hard without terraforming tools because I imagine you'll need some kind of slope to start the tunnel and a valid exit slope at the other end.

Though it would be cool if you could just send a road subterranean anywhere you want, kind of like how subway stations work but without the plop requirement.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I can't wait for some real info on tunnels and wall to wall buildings.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

xzzy posted:

It'll be hard without terraforming tools because I imagine you'll need some kind of slope to start the tunnel and a valid exit slope at the other end.

Though it would be cool if you could just send a road subterranean anywhere you want, kind of like how subway stations work but without the plop requirement.

Really, it would be nice if the normal page up/page down road ramp controls allowed negative elevations. Just hit page down to ramp a surface road into a tunnel, even on flat terrain.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?
When starting new cities I really hate how you only have two lane roads with no on ramps and the nearby highway is outside of area you can actually build in (at least in default maps). It means any time I start a new city I know that in an hour or two I am going to have to bulldoze a ton and redo traffic.

binhex
Aug 17, 2008

Kikaimegami posted:

The Zion National Park map is pretty great.

Surprisingly, traffic only gets weird in a few places.

EDIT: And it renders really oddly zoomed out like that...

Nice job! Got any more screens?

This is the biggest city I've seen on Zion. Was this on v2 or the original? How did you manage water/waste for that size of city?

Do you mind if I use that screenshot on the workshop page for it?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

TheGreySpectre posted:

When starting new cities I really hate how you only have two lane roads with no on ramps and the nearby highway is outside of area you can actually build in (at least in default maps). It means any time I start a new city I know that in an hour or two I am going to have to bulldoze a ton and redo traffic.
There's plenty of room to leave a corridor for a full on spur when you get the population. You can also leave the initial connection as a permanent terminus and grow out in other directions when you can buy new map blocks, but that takes a little extra thinking on what to do with industry in the mean time. I haven't had to enact gross eminent domain yet between those two methods.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

P.D.B. Fishsticks posted:

Really, it would be nice if the normal page up/page down road ramp controls allowed negative elevations. Just hit page down to ramp a surface road into a tunnel, even on flat terrain.

Basically they need to just copy what ever Train Fever did. Elevate/sink any network type at will, plus the ability to set elevation relative to the ground level or absolute relative to starting point.

Redkist
Mar 5, 2005
Fonkay fressh!
If someone could help me out with a couple questions I'd be grateful!

1. My industrial sector is always vastly in more need of workers. What can I do to allievate this? There's housing surrounding it everywhere but the abandonment rate is unreal.

2. Do people just tear down all of their low density commercial and residential when the high density becomes available? I look at pictures of peoples finished 100,000+ population cities and it doesn't look like it's anything but sky scrapers.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Redkist posted:

If someone could help me out with a couple questions I'd be grateful!

1. My industrial sector is always vastly in more need of workers. What can I do to allievate this? There's housing surrounding it everywhere but the abandonment rate is unreal.

2. Do people just tear down all of their low density commercial and residential when the high density becomes available? I look at pictures of peoples finished 100,000+ population cities and it doesn't look like it's anything but sky scrapers.

Don't build more workplaces than you have population to support. The RCI bars are a lie, they're hints at best. If you have any R demand at all, max that out, building as much residential as possible, never have residential demand. Employment is global, nothing to do with your transport. So long as you have unemployed people that are educated enough, the jobs will be filled. It seems very hard to get under 5% unemployment though. It's very normal to have some unemployment but uneducated industries complaining about workers. The system is a bit wonky, but the answer is always: build more residential and wait.

You have to manually re-zone from one type to another. This is pretty easy though since you can de-zone with a right click. You don't need to demo the existing buildings, they'll clear out on their own.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

This is pretty easy though since you can de-zone with a right click.

I wish they were more explicit about these shortcuts and functionality. Every time I read the thread I learn 5 new things that alleviate common complaints I have.

Is there anything to help with public transport? I want to get good systems but the game does a poor job of telling you exactly how much coverage each stop provides. I think my bus stops are too clustered and my subways are too sparse.

Really want to get this right before I go full H0 scale :spergin: on my city.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Didnt Traffic ++ come from the emergency-only lanes etc mod?

If so, am I unable to use it with the awesome traffic-light manager? ;ohdear:

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I like how it's still on the top sellers list. This is everything I wanted Sim City to be, minus the disasters, but plus the actual loving city building that it was made for.

Not only that, but this is the only City builder where I have achieved what I thought was impossible, making Skyscrapers and providing enough goods and services so they could upgrade into them.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Don't build more workplaces than you have population to support. The RCI bars are a lie, they're hints at best. If you have any R demand at all, max that out, building as much residential as possible, never have residential demand. Employment is global, nothing to do with your transport. So long as you have unemployed people that are educated enough, the jobs will be filled. It seems very hard to get under 5% unemployment though. It's very normal to have some unemployment but uneducated industries complaining about workers. The system is a bit wonky, but the answer is always: build more residential and wait.

You have to manually re-zone from one type to another. This is pretty easy though since you can de-zone with a right click. You don't need to demo the existing buildings, they'll clear out on their own.

Yeah, I usually run between 5% and 10% unemployment and that seems to keep demand fairly balanced. I think 4% is the lowest I've ever seen it and that usually comes with worker shortages.

I think his question 2 wasn't "how" but "whether." I personally don't have a huge city yet, but my approach is to balance sprawling outwards and building up a dense core. I think it looks nicer to have a mess of suburbs and even some rural bits and bobs around the skyscrapers.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Megabound posted:

Is there anything to help with public transport? I want to get good systems but the game does a poor job of telling you exactly how much coverage each stop provides. I think my bus stops are too clustered and my subways are too sparse.
I model my bus routes after what I'm familiar with: a bus stop roughly every 3-4 blocks and I double up stops wherever I can so N/S lines meet up at/near a stop for an E/W line for example. I don't put a bus stop immediately after a busy intersection, I put stops right before the busy intersection or a full block later so the buses don't back traffic up into the intersection.

edit: it doesn't seem to matter how well I think I've done in laying out the routes I never get over about 11% ridership, could be just how it is

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 23, 2015

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Gonna X-post

I did a set of fancy metro stations that come in 2x10 2x3 and 2x2 variants. They're a little more silent and better looking, but come at a little more cost overall.

The workshop collection is located here:

Feedback is appreciated!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

mr. nobody posted:

I model my bus routes after what I'm familiar with: a bus stop roughly every 3-4 blocks and I double up stops wherever I can so N/S lines meet up at/near a stop for an E/W line for example. I don't put a bus stop immediately after a busy intersection, I put stops right before the busy intersection or a full block later so the buses don't back traffic up into the intersection.

edit: it doesn't seem to matter how well I think I've done in laying out the routes I never get over about 11% ridership, could be just how it is

Yeah I still cant figure out how to min-max transit. People will ignore direct fast subways to their destination and clog a bus stop, people will walk across the map to take a bus a few blocks while others will ignore door to door transit options from their home to work. I know people say cims take the quickest route, but it almost seems like there's just pre-set percentages of people who will walk/transit or drive and your transit system being good or bad only slightly effects things.

The pathfinding for cars ignores intersections, ignores traffic jams, ignores a hell of a lot of stuff in order to determine the "fastest" route. I have a feeling they do the same for transit, they don't care if the bus is stuck in traffic and stopping every block or if they have to wait 10 buses to fit, they probably just look at the transit line as one route based simply on distance.

Kikaimegami
Feb 4, 2005
Machine Goddess

binhex posted:

Nice job! Got any more screens?

This is the biggest city I've seen on Zion. Was this on v2 or the original? How did you manage water/waste for that size of city?

Do you mind if I use that screenshot on the workshop page for it?

Thank you! This is using v2. Water management is quite the chore. I've been supplementing with water towers because it's so easy to run the rivers dry and most of my waste water drains in a far off corner of the map because I was having some pretty bad waste flooding after about 50k people or so and even with the water treatment plant, I didn't want it back-flowing into my clean water.

I just took some more for you (and also because I added more since that first one), and use whichever you like. I tried to get a few that didn't have the buildings near the center disappearing, which I've noticed is an issue when I get above 100k population or so.

Also got some traffic issues starting to really crop up now, but it's only recently become an actual problem, when I've had huge traffic jams in cities half this size, so I'm not too upset. I really need to untangle some of my ramp spaghetti, though.

This one shows the corner of shame where most of my waste water ends up in the lower left corner:

EDIT: I think one of the biggest challenges with this map is making a working metro system. I have some pretty interesting tunnel shapes that are probably horribly inefficient, but it keeps cars off the roads. Only a little over 4k ridership, but hey.

Kikaimegami fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 23, 2015

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.
I wonder how an elevated roadway for buses only, connected to pedestrian pathways, would work if planned out for a city instead of shoved in later.

Like a hybrid bus/lightrail sorta thing.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

mr. nobody posted:

I wonder how an elevated roadway for buses only, connected to pedestrian pathways, would work if planned out for a city instead of shoved in later.

Like a hybrid bus/lightrail sorta thing.

Probably fairly well.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

Redkist posted:

I've seen this posted in the thread and I don't really get it. Maybe if you want your initial starting area to be your downtown I guess. But why tear down all your low density just because you unlock high density? You have plenty of room. I like amber waves of low densities suburbs with several high densities downtowns sprinkled around.

Maybe that's just what I'm used to irl.

Or re-reading your question, maybe that's what it takes to get to 100k. I've logged a lot of hours and I'm still around 40k with tons of suburbs and plenty of open land to grow.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Early on when I'm money starved I tend to upgrade low density residential into high density and keep most everything else the same.

Once I get my planned high density 'capital' city up and running, I start zoning new low density, high industry, low education, suburbs to feed the city and other low density, high education, office districts as my high value "posh" suburbs.

Which I now realise is basically where I grew up.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is there any kind of goon-curated or -approved pack of custom buildings, especially non-ploppable? I want my cities to have some more diversity but I'm pretty :effort: when it comes to the workshop.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Is there a mod that lets me build a Chicago style elevated rail yet? The stations are way to huge to use anywhere denser than suburbs.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900
More practically, is there a mod that prevents elevated roads from becoming suspension bridges?

The "suspension cables" are ugly as poo poo, you can't upgrade whatever section has them, and they trip the game's collision detector even at normal intersection angles.

You can stop them from forming if you build roads in tiny segments, but it's tedious as poo poo, and sometimes the segment is already as small as it can go but gets turned into a suspension bridge anyways.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Curvature of Earth posted:

More practically, is there a mod that prevents elevated roads from becoming suspension bridges?

The "suspension cables" are ugly as poo poo, you can't upgrade whatever section has them, and they trip the game's collision detector even at normal intersection angles.

You can stop them from forming if you build roads in tiny segments, but it's tedious as poo poo, and sometimes the segment is already as small as it can go but gets turned into a suspension bridge anyways.

It's still a work-around, but giving the road a very slight curve also prevents it from getting turned into a suspension bridge.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The game needs more bridge designs, period.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

And flipping the mouse wheel or something should let me pick the style instead of getting hit with something random I don't want.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

I thought I saw this here, but maybe I didn't? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQaqmAiDaOc This is a neat video about how to make your farms sort of blend in more nicely. It has inspired me to lovingly hand-craft rows of crops, but the only crop tree asset available is :420: :2bong: I might actually have to learn to make my own custom assets if I want my farms to look ~perfect~

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Pile of Kittens posted:

I thought I saw this here, but maybe I didn't? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQaqmAiDaOc This is a neat video about how to make your farms sort of blend in more nicely. It has inspired me to lovingly hand-craft rows of crops, but the only crop tree asset available is :420: :2bong: I might actually have to learn to make my own custom assets if I want my farms to look ~perfect~

Literally the top post on this page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

God drat it, I'm blind. It's all these loving pot plants in my city's rural area making me dumb. :catdrugs:

Also, after three hours of neurotically hand-planting trees and bushes in neat rows, I think I'm starting to understand that whole ASMR thing.