Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Battle Pigeon posted:

When researching recently how it would look transporting a bird from where I am (in EU) to UK, there wasn't a single airline that allowed in cabin and iirc somewhere said that for such a flight it wasn't even allowed, and birds had to go in the hold. The thought of that honestly scares me :(

The UK to Canada part of the journey is actually part 2. Part one is southern Spain to UK. My sister eventually decided to take trains up through Spain and France and then Eurostar to London. Iberia allow birds in cabin - so it is allowed - but they partner with British Airways (who don't have pets in cabin) so all UK flights through them aren't actually Iberia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Tsaedje posted:

The UK to Canada part of the journey is actually part 2. Part one is southern Spain to UK. My sister eventually decided to take trains up through Spain and France and then Eurostar to London. Iberia allow birds in cabin - so it is allowed - but they partner with British Airways (who don't have pets in cabin) so all UK flights through them aren't actually Iberia.

I was going by this: http://www.heathrowairport.com/plan-and-book-your-trip/travel-advice/travelling-with-pets

quote:

Airlines will only carry animals if advanced arrangements have been made, as space is often limited. There are two options and your airline will be able to tell you which services they are able to offer:

Accompanied baggage – most airlines will accept animals as accompanied baggage providing they are in a suitable container. They will travel in the baggage compartment where a suitable environment can be maintained (note – animals arriving in the UK may only do so as manifested air cargo).

Air cargo – owners can arrange for their animals to travel as air cargo without making the journey themselves.

And http://www.heathrow-airport-guide.co.uk/pet-travel.html

quote:

It is important to remember that when flying a pet into the UK, it can only arrive as cargo. Some airlines may offer animal transportation as excess baggage (carried in the hold), but this does not apply for arrival into the UK.

Within Europe there are also options for flying with animals under a certain weight within the cabin of the aircraft; again, this does not apply for travel into or out of the UK.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Where in the EU? Can you not just drive or get the train into London?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

BigPaddy posted:

Yeah that's what we went for in the end.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

BigPaddy posted:

Not France - so we'd have to get paperwork and import/export permits from any and all countries in between, I believe, since (the bird that would be travelling) is Cites Appendix I+II. No idea about cockatiels (appendix III).

Driving would be far more ideal despite time and distance, it's just that paperwork and permission thanks to Ohtori being a rare Special Snowflake

mombot
Sep 28, 2010

mmmmmwah - Trophy kisses!

Pile of Kittens posted:

I gave too much every day and scaled down slowly. I still give a bit of an excess. Apparently she doesn't eat as much of the chop, but she's heavier now, so it must be much more nutritious than the pellets. However, now the pellets are an Exciting Treat! Handy.

edit: the only other tip I have is to not take away pellets entirely, but serve them at the end of the day so they're still getting whatever nutrients your chop is lacking. Also rotating the recipe frequently is a good idea. I made way too much, even with just one of each ingredient. Oh, right, the thing I was forgetting was a can of black beans and some white rice.

Okay, I am getting one of those muffin pans, but how many "muffins" do you think they will need at minimum a day? I don't even know a baseline.

Carfax Report
May 17, 2003

Ravage the land as never before, total destruction from mountain to shore!

Tsaedje posted:

PM me. As was mentioned I have some experience.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Also there is someone on reddit with a pet Toco Toucan. It is adorable.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Pile of Kittens posted:

I did a dramatic re-enactment of your brave rescue!

You've got quite a catch there! :kimchi:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Hi bird crazies, I'm finally getting a proper apartment for myself in a few weeks, and since I've been wanting to get a bird for a long while I think now should be the time.
I'm just not sure what to get.

I've mostly considered a cockatiel, but looking through local classifieds I also see various other, larger parrots looking very tempting and adorable. How much care do other parrots typically require compared?
We had a budgie when I was a little kid, and thinking back he honestly must have had a terrible life. He was confined to his cage most of the few years he lived, and I remember him often being scared and aggressive. I want to make that good again.

By the way, reading the OP there are a bunch of bad links. Here's some of them fixed:
http://www.theparrotsocietyuk.org/pet-parrots/wing-clipping
The petinsurance.com Teflon poisoning page seems gone
http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-diet-and-health/bird-emergency-care/burn-treatment.aspx
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=15+1829&aid=2752

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

nielsm posted:

Hi bird crazies, I'm finally getting a proper apartment for myself in a few weeks, and since I've been wanting to get a bird for a long while I think now should be the time.

I've mostly considered a cockatiel, but looking through local classifieds I also see various other, larger parrots looking very tempting and adorable. How much care do other parrots typically require compared?
We had a budgie when I was a little kid, and thinking back he honestly must have had a terrible life. He was confined to his cage most of the few years he lived, and I remember him often being scared and aggressive. I want to make that good again.

By the way, reading the OP there are a bunch of bad links. Here's some of them fixed:
http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-diet-and-health/bird-emergency-care/burn-treatment.aspx

How much time do you spend at home during the day? Cockatiels, budgies, and some conures are generally self-sufficient enough to deal with longer periods of being alone. The larger parrots, due to a much longer lifespan, have more complex social needs and are unsuitable for people who cannot be home a lot.

In short, I would not recommend a large parrot to most people. Also they can be very loud and not suitable for apartment life. A little potato pal like you're considering seems like a great idea.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'm usually home most of the day. At the new place, work will be literally around the corner, so out for 8 hours a day. Never overtime. Then there will of course be vacations and other outings. How do cockatiels typically deal with being alone most of a weekend?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

nielsm posted:

I'm usually home most of the day. At the new place, work will be literally around the corner, so out for 8 hours a day. Never overtime. Then there will of course be vacations and other outings. How do cockatiels typically deal with being alone most of a weekend?
They'll be fine as long as they've got stuff to do (toys to play with or things to watch) and they get plenty of attention during the week.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Eejit posted:

How much time do you spend at home during the day? Cockatiels, budgies, and some conures are generally self-sufficient enough to deal with longer periods of being alone. The larger parrots, due to a much longer lifespan, have more complex social needs and are unsuitable for people who cannot be home a lot.

In short, I would not recommend a large parrot to most people. Also they can be very loud and not suitable for apartment life. A little potato pal like you're considering seems like a great idea.

I'm in the very same situation. I'm likely to be away from home for about 9 hours every day, but have no life and will be around for most of the rest of the time. I do however live in a house with thick stone walls, so whatever bird I get can scream its head off. Is there a definitive-ish list of birds suitable for people who live alone and work?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

nielsm posted:

Thanks, OP updated!

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Soylent Yellow posted:

I'm in the very same situation. I'm likely to be away from home for about 9 hours every day, but have no life and will be around for most of the rest of the time. I do however live in a house with thick stone walls, so whatever bird I get can scream its head off. Is there a definitive-ish list of birds suitable for people who live alone and work?

I think like the others said, a cockatiel, budgie, or GCC will probably be a good fit. My green cheek Sammy has acclimated to me working from 8-5, and he gets loads of love/scritches when I'm home and fun toys he can destroy while I'm gone.

Conures are the best though, I love my little Velcro birb :3:

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

GCCs are the best, even though mine likes getting her rear end in a top hat feathers preened by my lovebird.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
If you're considering a budgie and you're not at home all day, make sure to get two.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Senegal Parrots are generally known for being on the quiet side and very good at keeping themselves entertained all day. They can be jerks to any human that isn't their favorite though

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Shirec posted:

Conures are the best though, I love my little Velcro birb :3:

I could emptyquote this for days :3:

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

mombot posted:

Okay, I am getting one of those muffin pans, but how many "muffins" do you think they will need at minimum a day? I don't even know a baseline.

I started with two, now I give one in the morning and it's mostly gone by the evening, when I drop a little scoop of pellets in there, which she barely touches (but gets VERY excited about and eats a few of immediately). In the evening I take the dish out and wash it. Just give too much at first, because since it's not high fat, you can't really overdo it as long as you scale back to the right amount in a few days. Don't worry, you'll do fine :)

I had an easy job convincing her to eat hers, but it may take a few tries to get your bird to try it if he's used to exclusively pellets. By taking the food out at night, it ensures the bird will be more receptive to "sharing" food with you in the morning.

the last s0n
Aug 12, 2013
I need a translation.

I promise the TV wasn't as loud as it sounds. He was also doing it while it was silent.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

That looks like the mating behavior of my female bird. Is yours definitively sexed?

the last s0n
Aug 12, 2013

Pile of Kittens posted:

That looks like the mating behavior of my female bird. Is yours definitively sexed?

He hasn't been DNAed, but the vet thought he was likely male after feeling his pelvic structure (still no feathers around the ol' one eye). Entirely possible, though.

Should I dial back the hand cuddling? He insists on shoving himself against my fingers or scritching hand whenever available.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Just try to limit it to above-the-shoulders touching and make sure he/she is getting enough darkness at night. It's worth the $30 or whatever to get them sexed, for peace of mind. It's nice to be able to totally rule out eggbinding from possible illnesses.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

H110Hawk posted:

Also there is someone on reddit with a pet Toco Toucan. It is adorable.

aerialsilks
Nov 28, 2013

please stop telling me about how you "humanely euthanized" your hamster by drowning it in its ball

the last s0n posted:

I need a translation.

I promise the TV wasn't as loud as it sounds. He was also doing it while it was silent.

That seems like the content/begging baby behaviour to me, but then again I've only seen conure mating behaviours a few times(but Pie does this with less head bobbing and it's different from his "I NEED TO RUB MY rear end ON YOUR SHOULDER" motions).

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

It could be that. I'm super paranoid about mating behavior because it got incredibly out of hand. Whenever one of us managed to have the "no means no" talk with her, she'd just redirect onto the other human and get aggressive to the first one. It was a frustrating cycle.

Carfax Report
May 17, 2003

Ravage the land as never before, total destruction from mountain to shore!

Best cereal ever.

zbeezy
Jan 3, 2007
So, I'm apparently New Orleans' resident bird lady.

I got a call today about a female eclectus who is owned by a chef that works 60-80 hours a week. She's started plucking when alone. She tame and up to date w her vet stuff.

I go tomorrow to meet her. I have NOT promised I'll take her, but I'll meet her.

The only thing I know about eclectus is that they eat different things. What? I'm not so sure.

Do any of you crazies own an eclectus and if so please give me the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
It looks like I'm about to become a birb-haver. I just called a breeder to arrange to go see a juvenile blue sided green cheek conure on sunday. If everything goes well, he'll be coming home with me. The breeder says he was hand-reared from 14 days. Is there anything I should be looking out for?

zbeezy
Jan 3, 2007

Soylent Yellow posted:

It looks like I'm about to become a birb-haver. I just called a breeder to arrange to go see a juvenile blue sided green cheek conure on sunday. If everything goes well, he'll be coming home with me. The breeder says he was hand-reared from 14 days. Is there anything I should be looking out for?

Lots of snuggles, a desire to follow you everywhere and if they are anything like Fry they will enjoy singing along to 60s era pop rock

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

When I went and visited a bunch of birds at a store/boarding place they had an eclectus and it was by far the loudest thing ive ever heard. That's about all I know :v:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I have very little direct experience with them aside from that a few years ago before I got a bird I really wanted an Eclectus.

I have heard that they are somewhat similar personality-wise to Amazons & African Grays (as in, they don't generally like to be touched beyond perhaps skritches, they like interaction/attention, and they can be very loud when they want to be)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Jerk

http://i.imgur.com/i14e3WL.mp4

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Hahaha, look at that happy little jackass :parrot:

zbeezy
Jan 3, 2007
Th

Kenshin posted:

I have very little direct experience with them aside from that a few years ago before I got a bird I really wanted an Eclectus.

I have heard that they are somewhat similar personality-wise to Amazons & African Grays (as in, they don't generally like to be touched beyond perhaps skritches, they like interaction/attention, and they can be very loud when they want to be)
the guy who was put in touch with me says his is pretty quiet.

I'm still thinking this all over....

But they're sooooo pretty

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

I love ekkies. They look like living puppets.

Well, the males anyway.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

man that happy eye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

zbeezy posted:

the guy who was put in touch with me says his is pretty quiet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome