Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Lprsti99 posted:

Speaking of FAR/MechJeb, I've gotten the ascent guidance working with it, close to true grav turns and whatnot, but I do have an issue with the Limit to Terminal Velocity function, it just doesn't seem to work. Anyone know of a fix?
Are you sure it's not working, or are you just not reaching terminal velocity in the first place? It's a lot higher with FAR/NEAR than in stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

revdrkevind posted:

For rovers? This gets covered every once in a while. Common tips:
-Mun rovers suck, you get no traction starting up, then once you get going, you hit a bump and all of a sudden you lose control and have an unplanned disassembly event. Consider hoppers.
-Make rovers suck less by being very low center of gravity and as wide as possible, to minimize flip risks.
-Use docking controls, if you're using regular controls your ACS will try to torque the vehicle in ways you don't want for a car.
-Make it even better installing RCS for those times when you go airborne.
-Make it even betterer by putting an (ion?) engine on top so it gently coaxes your vehicle down and adds traction.
-Make it best by building as small as possible, and stick out girders or landing legs in every direction so when you inevitably roll over you're surrounded by a nearly invulnerable ball of safety.

This is good advice, especially the last one. You will flip, and at speed, so harden your rover against it. Solar panel arrays are the easiest thing to gently caress up, so use singles or cover them well. The lower-tier wheels are rather fragile, so six of them is better than four. Have enough SAS torque to flip the rover back upright when you inevitably end up in the dead cockroach position..

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Not getting reentry effects on the way up is opposite to the :jeb: way. :colbert:

Clark Nova posted:

This is good advice, especially the last one. You will flip, and at speed, so harden your rover against it. Solar panel arrays are the easiest thing to gently caress up, so use singles or cover them well. The lower-tier wheels are rather fragile, so six of them is better than four. Have enough SAS torque to flip the rover back upright when you inevitably end up in the dead cockroach position..
Or you could just put wheels on the roof so you can drive upside down.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Groetgaffel posted:

Wow, that's an excellent idea. I'm still going to gently caress this up, though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Groetgaffel posted:

:shepface:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Are you sure it's not working, or are you just not reaching terminal velocity in the first place? It's a lot higher with FAR/NEAR than in stock.

Problem is mechjeb will see that's it's not at terminal velocity and think everything is fine, happily keeping the craft fully throttled up. Then it pitches over just a little too much and the craft tears apart in the airstream. :jebcry:

My workaround when I was still messing with FAR was to set the thrust limiter on the first stage to where the TWR was about 1.2, so it wouldn't be going that fast until it cleared the thicker atmosphere anyway. Also, set my gravity turn to start really early (0.2km, just off the launchpad, like a real space launch) and use a steeper turn of around 55%. That way there's no immediate 45 degree pitchover at 8km that tears your rocket apart.

I'm not using FAR at the moment though, because I like using mechjeb's aerobrake nodes. Hoping the new stock aerodynamics allow mechjeb to calculate drag at different AoAs, or some other way to make aerobrake maneuvers practical.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

This was my favorite rover so far:

Notice the mono engines pointing up on the front wheels - I thankfully didn't need to fire off those engines, but they were there incase I became inverted. Each wheel is attached to a .625 reaction wheel, making this thing INCREDIBLY stable, even during jumps.

I designed it so that it was also the return vehicle, as you can see from this early version Kerbin test:

You can see the orbiter (center stage) from the launch screenshot:

Best part, is the RCS thrusters were enough for my rover to become a hopper as long as I kept an eye on the fuel levels for my return. Visited a few sites :3

Otacon fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 22, 2015

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I think the Mechjeb Ascent guidance module should have an option to unlock the throttle.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just put rockets on the rover pointing straight down

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
No you fools, this how you make a rover.

It can drive no matter which orientation it's in.
Like face down, or on it's side:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Groetgaffel posted:

It can drive no matter which orientation it's in.
Like face down, or on it's side:

Until it goes airborne when it inevitably hits a bump and falls into a chasm. (sweet ride though.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Silver Alicorn posted:

Problem is mechjeb will see that's it's not at terminal velocity and think everything is fine, happily keeping the craft fully throttled up. Then it pitches over just a little too much and the craft tears apart in the airstream. :jebcry:

My workaround when I was still messing with FAR was to set the thrust limiter on the first stage to where the TWR was about 1.2, so it wouldn't be going that fast until it cleared the thicker atmosphere anyway. Also, set my gravity turn to start really early (0.2km, just off the launchpad, like a real space launch) and use a steeper turn of around 55%. That way there's no immediate 45 degree pitchover at 8km that tears your rocket apart.

I'm not using FAR at the moment though, because I like using mechjeb's aerobrake nodes. Hoping the new stock aerodynamics allow mechjeb to calculate drag at different AoAs, or some other way to make aerobrake maneuvers practical.
My default launch profile is to start my turn at 250m with a 40% turn, -10 degree final flight path angle, and 65 km turn end altitude, with the AoA limiter to 10° (15° at 25 km, off at 35), and it works pretty well for all but the craziest of contraptions. I keep it at a 3g acceleration limit when crewed (similar to real crewed craft) or 4g otherwise.

If it still has stability problems, the solutions I do in order are adding winglets, adding high-gimbal-range (5°+) vernier engines, making the turn less severe in 5% increments, increasing booster engine gimbal range (if it has any), and increasing main engine gimbal range.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde

Groetgaffel posted:

Why rove when you can roll

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxu0qL4TuTg

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The soundtrack makes this. :allears:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

2Jets posted:

It's a slippery slope. If you don't let players trap their kerbels, what's next? Not letting people put their parachute in the wrong stage?

Actually I guess that's fine, as long as I can still mess up my launch clamp staging.

You appear not to have read about the build checker they're putting into 1.0. It prevents nothing, it simply tells the builder (if desired? it wasn't clear if it was always shown or had to be activated) about possible design gently caress ups before they launch it. From this article

quote:

Engineer’s Report: A new panel in the VAB and SPH which will warn you of crucial (and generally frustrating) issues in your design, such as a lack of fuel tanks, engines or landing gear, among many other advanced concepts like those.

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE
for people who like making goofy mistakes, this actually enhances the experience because you get to ignore warnings which is extremely Kerbal

2Jets
Apr 25, 2010

You're gonna get no tip

Thesoro posted:

for people who like making goofy mistakes, this actually enhances the experience because you get to ignore warnings which is extremely Kerbal

We don't like making mistakes, we like the challenge of dealing with unforeseen events. I get why you would want to be warned about blocked hatches or not having solar panels. I guess for you this game is about flying rockets, but for me its about rescue missions and taking off in tipped over landers. It's cool I'll just put a sticky note over that part of my monitor if I have to.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Back from a long long break from the game and i was wondering three things.

1: Have there been any optimization changes to the game that allows largeish and complicated space stations/crafts or any word on if this will be in 1.0 or near to that?

2: The game had a upper range limit on stuff where it got deleted or started behaving weirdly, has this seen some change/is planned for 1.0 or in the area?

3: 64bit version still terrible?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dongattack posted:

1: Have there been any optimization changes to the game that allows largeish and complicated space stations/crafts or any word on if this will be in 1.0 or near to that?

2: The game had a upper range limit on stuff where it got deleted or started behaving weirdly, has this seen some change/is planned for 1.0 or in the area?

1. Not unless you count upgrading to new versions of Unity and PhysX. The need for huge numbers of struts has been greatly reduced, though.

2. Not sure what you mean. The outer bounds of the solar system are still in the same place.

3. So terrible that it's being left out of 1.0.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Dongattack posted:

If you're thinking of the 2.5 km physics simulation range, it's being reworked for the 1.0 release. One of the recent dev notes talked about making it dynamic so stages dropped during ascent would all be simulated all the way to exploding on ground (maybe except if parachuted), and things might also be different between attempting to dock and when just cruising alone waiting for capture by another body.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

nielsm posted:

If you're thinking of the 2.5 km physics simulation range, it's being reworked for the 1.0 release. One of the recent dev notes talked about making it dynamic so stages dropped during ascent would all be simulated all the way to exploding on ground (maybe except if parachuted), and things might also be different between attempting to dock and when just cruising alone waiting for capture by another body.

Yeah, this is what i meant. That's good to hear.

haveblue posted:

1. Not unless you count upgrading to new versions of Unity and PhysX. The need for huge numbers of struts has been greatly reduced, though.

3. So terrible that it's being left out of 1.0.

Wow, well, i'll continue waiting then. Thanks for the replies!

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

2Jets posted:

We don't like making mistakes, we like the challenge of dealing with unforeseen events. I get why you would want to be warned about blocked hatches or not having solar panels. I guess for you this game is about flying rockets, but for me its about rescue missions and taking off in tipped over landers. It's cool I'll just put a sticky note over that part of my monitor if I have to.

I pretty much agree to be honest, my personal interest in having the hatch checking is because you can't always tell from looking if it's blocked. For example, I remember getting a flight all the way to Val only to be told 'hatch blocked'. The mesh for an object defines the space it counts as occupying, not the actual visible item. So the part I had at the edge of the hatch was visibly clear of the seam but the mesh made KSP believe it was on it. A checker panel that says 'kerbals can get in and out' beats trying to second guess where the mesh ends or launching just to test clearance.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Dongattack posted:

There are mods that will allow you to fuse parts so the game considers them one physics object.

Aside from that, unless the Unity team can get their x64 act together, this isn't a Squad problem.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Unless I've missed it somehow, this hasn't been posted yet. D5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXAkepo5YS8

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Unimpressed posted:

Unless I've missed it somehow, this hasn't been posted yet. D5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXAkepo5YS8

I think that's also showing the camera shake!

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
What is the x64 version for?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dalael posted:

64-bit allows usage of more than (roughly) 4GB of RAM, meaning more mods.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde

Dalael posted:

Nerds

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Dalael posted:

Ultimately, performance increase.

e:f;b

It should go beyond memory improvements.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

PerrineClostermann posted:

64-bit allows usage of more than (roughly) 4GB of RAM, meaning more mods.

Oh! Cool! Will they also make it so that loading all these mods does not take 5 minutes? I have maybe.. 30 mods installed (Thats what Ckan tells me anyways) and I can definitely go make a sandwich while I am waiting for the game to load.

Also.. Why da gently caress does Ckan says I'm using 30+ mods when in reality I only chose the ones the OP suggests. Does it automatically gets other mods that are needed to go with the ones I chose?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Dalael posted:

Oh! Cool! Will they also make it so that loading all these mods does not take 5 minutes? I have maybe.. 30 mods installed (Thats what Ckan tells me anyways) and I can definitely go make a sandwich while I am waiting for the game to load.

Also.. Why da gently caress does Ckan says I'm using 30+ mods when in reality I only chose the ones the OP suggests. Does it automatically gets other mods that are needed to go with the ones I chose?

The 64 bit version is very unstable and prone to crashing and glitching on Windows. There's a reason Squad is removing the option for 64 bit again in 1.0, it just doesn't work.
It won't improve loading times either.

And yes, CKAN will automatically get dependencies for mods. That's half the point of using it.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Dalael posted:

Slowest part is usually the textures, using atm or ddsloader you can make KSP load crazy fast and decrease the memory footprint (letting you use more mods in 32bit. Using Linux 64bit is the superior solution though.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

DDS textures on an SSD. poo poo loads crazy fast.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I run KSP from an older SATA2 SSD, and with DDSLoader it starts up in less than a minute. A modern faster SSD with SATA3 would probably reduce that even more.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Is Squad moving to native DDS in 1.0?

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Why I love the Karbonundrum fusion drive: ridiculously wasteful maneuvers like this Jool to Eeloo transfer:

Took ~7,000 dv to execute, entered Eeloo's SOI doing about 13.5 km/s, took 12,000+ dv to circularize. But only about 300 days journey!

edit: wooot

stuart scott fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 23, 2015

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Zero One posted:

Is Squad moving to native DDS in 1.0?

Did something similar to it along several other optimizations. To give an example, my stock only rig went from 44 seconds to load to a bit under 11.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Maxmaps posted:

Did something similar to it along several other optimizations. To give an example, my stock only rig went from 44 seconds to load to a bit under 11.

And what are these tweets I'm seeing about multiplayer? I'm assuming it's not 1.0-ready, but I'd still love to see a post on what you've done so far. I'm super interested in how you guys are going to be handling that!

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
yeah, do they all have their own kerbal space base and or launchpads? or do you take turns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Twibbit posted:

yeah, do they all have their own kerbal space base and or launchpads? or do you take turns?

Let's be honest, the only :jeb: way to do multi-player would be ten people working on the same ship at once.

With no communication whatsoever.