Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Oh wait, the End Times crap made Elves even more stupid didn't it? I haven't paid attention to the end times at all.

Basically it turned out that Malekith was the super elf king good hero guy. Generally, if a thing happened in the End Times it was super lame and dumb.

Oh yeah, and they killed all the wood elves pretty much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Ah the Sun Crusher, second only to the Darksaber, IMO, for stupidest super weapon in the EU. And the Darksaber only wins because its name is a stupid pun.

I read that book when I was a kid, and the Darksaber actually gets a pass because it was a budget superweapon made by a crime boss who planned on using it to extort planets only he built it using the cheapest parts and labor he could, so during the climactic battle he goes to activate it and it just blows up without even firing a shot.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I admit, I have a mild grudge against that book because it killed Crix Madine. He didn't even get a cool and heroic death, he'd been captured doing commando stuff and then the stupid Hutt shot him in the chest. :argh:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Well remember that Chewbacca had a moon dropped on him. The EU was occasional moments of cool stuff interspersed with a whole lot of weirdness, stupidity, or both.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
Someone at my FLGS had a 40K club shirt so I asked him how things were and mentioned I used to play. He got all excited and told me how great 7th edition is. There are random warlords and random objectives and cool new random psychic phases. Though maybe he didn't say random that often. What should I even say to that. He was so cheerfully innocent.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
So I had my son last night, i already have a 3 year old daughter and she likes the "backpack toys" (assault marines)so im working on getting her a Blood angels army started. and im wondering what i should start collecting for my son hopefully by the time they are both 10 years old i will have stocked enough crap for them to have impressive armies Just wondering what you think? and hey even if they dont wanna play 40k they can just sell the stuff off and spend it on the xbox 4 or whatever is out at the time but anyway what army should the little boy get.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Hollismason posted:

So I had my son last night, i already have a 3 year old daughter and she likes the "backpack toys" (assault marines)so im working on getting her a Blood angels army started. and im wondering what i should start collecting for my son hopefully by the time they are both 10 years old i will have stocked enough crap for them to have impressive armies Just wondering what you think? and hey even if they dont wanna play 40k they can just sell the stuff off and spend it on the xbox 4 or whatever is out at the time but anyway what army should the little boy get.

Wait till she gets older and realizes they ALL have backpacks

Mind blown

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Cygnar.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Save up all the money you would spend and then just burn it in front of him on his tenth birthday. Is the only real answer.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

The design is worse. It is not even worth the same price as the gunpla imo.

Edit: did not refresh thread.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Oh wait, the End Times crap made Elves even more stupid didn't it? I haven't paid attention to the end times at all.

Like someone else said if Malekith kept on getting burned alive for like 10 more seconds he would've been magically healed and he would've lead the elves to some kind of unironic Aryan paradise. He suckered out at the last second though and had to go to Canada with his mom.

In the end, it turned out that the elves who enslave millions, bathe in blood, wear human skin, and have demonic cult orgies were actually the good guys and the elves who didn't do this were actually the bad guys, but it's cool since these different types of elves, who are literally the opposite of each other in every way, shape, and form came together to master all of the magic in the world because they're so cool and great.

There are also other elves that either Ward or Thorpe didn't care too much about. Their entire existence got written off in like a single sentence probably because lmao who cares they aren't the Cool Elves.*

* - This story makes a lot more sense when you realize that Gav Thorpe's favorite army is Dark Elves and Mat Ward's was High Elves.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The sad part is, Malekith having been In The Right originally, then proving by literally everything he did afterwards that he was still the wrong guy and a shithead, would've been a decent story about why loving magic rituals are a bad way to pick your king anyway.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Night10194 posted:

The sad part is, Malekith having been In The Right originally, then proving by literally everything he did afterwards that he was still the wrong guy and a shithead, would've been a decent story about why loving magic rituals are a bad way to pick your king anyway.

It's very Pudd'nhead Wilson.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
Some elements of the story like the ruthless efficient powerful mage king being the chosen one have some cool elements. Kind of Macheavellian elven gods choosing not the good but the most effective. That's pretty metal and grimdark. Many other parts though were poo poo. Did you know he eventually died later in the series? Also his mom / sweetheart died. Also all his followers. Also all the other elves. Also all living things on the planet.

Oh GW.....

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Doctor Borris posted:

Some elements of the story like the ruthless efficient powerful mage king being the chosen one have some cool elements. Kind of Macheavellian elven gods choosing not the good but the most effective. That's pretty metal and grimdark. Many other parts though were poo poo. Did you know he eventually died later in the series? Also his mom / sweetheart died. Also all his followers. Also all the other elves. Also all living things on the planet.

Oh GW.....

I do find it funny that the collective mary sue powers of the elves were still insufficient to stop GW's boner for making Chaos out to be unstoppable and insisting it's scary.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Hollismason posted:

ehhhhhhhhh

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Hollismason posted:

Save up all the money you would spend and then just burn it in front of him on his tenth birthday. Is the only real answer.

Wait until the boy is old enough to appreciate christmas presents then use the money saved for kickstarter.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Night10194 posted:

Oh yeah, and they killed all the wood elves pretty much.

Great, now nobody will buy the wood elf battle force collecting dust on my floor. Thanks, Obama GW!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm confused about how Hollismason's husband had his child.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
meanwhile, at GW HQ

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Here's a thing to think about : One of the bigger GW selling points is the story, but since they blew up the setting, there's nowhere they can go with it. The good guys threw literally everything they had at Chaos but they still got blown the gently caress up and the Chaos Gods shrugged and moved on.

How are they going to create any sort of tension, especially in reality bubbles, when the big fight has already been fought and we know exactly what happens?

The answer is they just try to retell the same story with lovely writing, but this time there's an even bigger Mary Sue.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

I'm confused about how Hollismason's husband had his child.

I figured he was quoting Dakka or something.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
either hollis is pullin ya legs or his origin story is similar to the joker's

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
@hollismason
Use all that money for booze and tell them Santa put all their presents money into kickstarter Wonderous objects and games to dazzle and delight. That way lots of important life lessons are learned, less models to worry about, aND really that's the best gift you can give.

Doctor Borris fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 22, 2015

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Moola posted:

meanwhile, at GW HQ

So that's where all the fun went.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Business Gorillas posted:

Here's a thing to think about : One of the bigger GW selling points is the story, but since they blew up the setting, there's nowhere they can go with it. The good guys threw literally everything they had at Chaos but they still got blown the gently caress up and the Chaos Gods shrugged and moved on.

How are they going to create any sort of tension, especially in reality bubbles, when the big fight has already been fought and we know exactly what happens?

The answer is they just try to retell the same story with lovely writing, but this time there's an even bigger Mary Sue.

Chaos actually lost, but at he last second the most emo vampire decided to press a giant red destroy the world button.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Chaos actually lost, but at he last second the most emo vampire decided to press a giant red destroy the world button.

Are you loving kidding me. Was it Manfred? It's always Manfred. Boy wouldn't know a backbone if it bit him in the rear end.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

MasterSlowPoke posted:

cool

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

Sigmar resolutely quotes the end of the prophecy that drove Archaon to madness, which tells that the Everchosen would be defeated by a Hero of Light. Saying this, Sigmar forms the shape of the two-tailed comet with his hand and generates a massive amount of lightning from it before grabbing the Slayer of Kings by the blade. With a daemonic shriek, the blade shatters into hundreds of fragments and Archaon is left defenseless.

Sigmar roars with divine fury and punches Archaon twice, sending the Everchosen off a cliff into an endless chasm.

At this point the Incarnates gather round the expanding portal into a new realm of Chaos as the device successfully has been activated to detonate. Using their massive energies and wills, the incarnates manage to cage the expanding portal. Teclis takes both the lores of Fire and Beasts into himself, which begins to literally tear him apart, but he refuses to give in. Slowly, but surely, the Incarnates begin to bring the portal under control and start reducing it in size.

At this point Mannfred shows up and has a decision to make. If he aids the Incarnates and takes either Fire or Beasts into himself it is quite likely they will be able to seal the portal and save the world. Or he can give in to the Chaos Gods and doom the world.

Big surprise, Mannfred in his damned selfishness decides he’d rather serve Chaos than Nagash or help the world survive. He walks up behind Balthasar Gelt and impales the man from behind, killing him instantly and losing the Wind of Metal. Teclis tries to take in this third wind but is consumed and burns to ash in the process. Mannfred attempts to consume the portal itself, but he’s far too inferior and the portal mutates his eyes to make him go blind. Tyrion then approaches the Vampire and impales him from behind and uses his sword to light Mannfred on fire from the inside, giving the bastard a painful death though he deserved worse.

The portal expands in a shockwave a consumes all magic from the gathered Incarnates. This cripples Sigmar for so much of his essence is bound to the lore of Heavens. Nagash attempts to overpower the forces of Chaos, but even with his monstrous willpower he eventually fails and goes roaring into the abyss and he disintegrates to dust.
A falling boulder falls to crush Allarielle, but for reasons never expressed Malekith pushes her out of the way and his leg is crushed instead. Sigmar gets up to help Malekith, but never makes it…

Archaon hurls himself over the cliff edge as he climbed back up and slams into Sigmar. Both heavily wounded and exhausted, they battle over the Ghal Maraz and both of them go hurtling over the precipice into oblivion wrestling over the hammer.

Tyrion and Allarielle hold hands standing by Malekith as the portal explodes and consumes them all.

MasterSlowPoke fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 22, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Doctor Borris posted:

@hollismason
Use all that money for booze and tell them Santa put all their presents money into kickstarter Wonderous objects and games to dazzle and delight. That way lots of important life lessons are learned, less models to worry about, aND really that's the best gift you can give.

lol already have a personal gym at home with all the aformentioned sports equipment and weight bench and what not. Just thinking it would be good bonding time for both kids to sit down and assemble and paint with dad. Kids love to be included. And to top it off, when they have disputes just whip out the 40k table and let the dice settle it lol. "DAAAAAAAAAD JULIUS DOESNT WANNA SHARE THE ..........................."
"well go get your dice and models and settle it. 500 points no lords of war, 2+ saves or fliers"

i just think that would be awesome.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

How does one form the two tailed comet with their hand? I know making the sign of the aquila in 40k looks stupid enough, so I want to know!

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Vulcan hand symbol I guess.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

How does one form the two tailed comet with their hand? I know making the sign of the aquila in 40k looks stupid enough, so I want to know!

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
I heard the end times books started decent with Nagash and rapidly spiraled down into a giant sloppy wrestling match between good and evil. Anyone confirm or deney? Worth the 300 bucks?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Edit: poo poo, beaten on the obvious. :argh:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Well, that was the stupidest thing I've read in weeks.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Doctor Borris posted:

I heard the end times books started decent with Nagash and rapidly spiraled down into a giant sloppy wrestling match between good and evil. Anyone confirm or deney? Worth the 300 bucks?

I :filez:'d the first 3 books. The first 2 were pretty cool in a "GW is taking itself so loving seriously its hilariously bad" sort of way, but I got a third of the way into the third book before I felt like I was wasting my time, since the 3rd book was the ELF BOOK, which was mostly the Mary Sue characters sitting at a table and arguing for the ~80 pages that I read.

Apparently the fourth book is just 200 pages of Skaven making GBS threads on Dwarves in increasingly insane ways until the Skaven go to the loving moon (???) and the fifth book is the MasterSlowPoke quote.

edit: In the second book there was a giant nurgle thing that would swallow people whole and poo poo out chaos spawn, which were then loaded into catapaults and launched into a city. That was probably the coolest thing in the whole series.

Kai Tave posted:

People say that 40K's fluff is bad but Fantasy sounds way, way worse at the moment, I dunno.

40k's fluff is so bad because of the whole Imperium thing, which fantasy doesn't have. Thankfully, this is getting rectified in 9th.

Business Gorillas fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 22, 2015

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
People say that 40K's fluff is bad but Fantasy sounds way, way worse at the moment, I dunno.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

Night10194 posted:

Well, that was the stupidest thing I've read in weeks.

GW "well fans things have been rough between us for awhile. So we got the Interns and the mail room guy together and whipped up something. I think it will resolve a lot of problems but we both knew this was coming. Took almost a week to put it all together but I think it was worth it. Enjoy your 30 years of lore"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kai Tave posted:

Fantasy was okay (a bit generic but there was enough fun stuff to jump off on) until the End Times. I mean it was originally just the 1500s HRE fighting demon-possessed vikings.

• Locked thread