Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

It is a bit of a shame, this game is probably going to be really rather good and the developers seem to be good people, but I get the feeling that this is the first thing they have ever worked on to this sort of degree, and so don't have the PR side of it down. Not even in terms of putting out bullshit statements but in terms of just relating to the people who want to buy the game.

Still I think they are going to do pretty well with this. It's something that looks good and they seem to know what they are doing on the technical aspects.

I think once they get it onto Steam it'll do amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Geokinesis posted:

I think once they get it onto Steam it'll do amazing.

Mhm, the decision to put it on steam (and the whole platform itself) is a godsend to developers like this.

I sometimes worry about the monopoly that steam could represent. Yet they seem so good about it that there seems almost nothing to worry about.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
good dev josh says they made a gameplay video and are going to release it today/tomorrow instead of on the weekend. So not understanding hype or marketing works for us today

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Huzzah!

I am probably going to be getting birthday money soon as I am moving house and will not be able to buy physical things. Think I should go and get the Beta of this?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Josef bugman posted:

Huzzah!

I am probably going to be getting birthday money soon as I am moving house and will not be able to buy physical things. Think I should go and get the Beta of this?

At least wait until it's out for a few days so people who have already bought it can give impressions. If I had to guess KD seem like the kind of guys who would wait until the game is in a reasonably polished state before releasing a beta but I could be wrong. I don't think there's anything to be gained by pre-ordering.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

They've said that the beta will not be on steam so early access is probably out of the question. I imagine the beta period will be rather short, probably a few weeks at most. They said the game as mostly done when they launched the kickstarter and all this this extra work is because of the ridiculous success of the kickstarter, they got like 10x what they asked for to get art assets.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I am just disappointed it will not be on gog.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Riso posted:

I am just disappointed it will not be on gog.

Josh has said they've contacted GoG but have yet to hear back from them, this was on the 9th.

"Josh" posted:

We would like to be on GOG but we are still waiting to hear from them. If GOG decides not to work with us then Steam and Humble will be the two methods of distribution.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Normal Adult Human posted:

good dev josh says they made a gameplay video and are going to release it today/tomorrow instead of on the weekend. So not understanding hype or marketing works for us today

Now I'm imagining that one Dominions 3 gameplay trailer, where it's just several minutes of someone playing the game. Not even with music dubbed over it or anything, just the in-game sound. It's amazing for the worst possible reasons.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Doctor Schnabel posted:

I loved that game, and I think it's loving criminal that it isn't up on steam.

Edit: Oh look, there's a free expansion that's been out for years, which I didn't even know about, because I forgot the game even existed, because I ran out of people to play with, because it's. Not. On. Steam. Did Cryptic Comet decide they hate money or something? That's pretty noble, I guess, but it doesn't feed the kids.

Edit2: Huh, I guess they tried to put Armageddon Empires on there like 4 years ago and got rejected. That's a blow, I guess, but aside from hurt feelings, why not submit Solium Infernum? That one's got multiplayer and everything. How are worthless GameMaker games all over that place while these guys freeze out on the cold?

Anyway, yeah, from what little we've seen of the actual gameplay, it does sort of feel like a mashup between SI, Dominions, and I guess reverse Eldritch Horror. I hope it lives up to the hype. If it does, I'll be on cloud nine. I've had an itch for this kind of game for decades.

I wonder how feasible it'd be to make an Ultima scenario with the mod tools. Always wanted to step into the Guardian's shoes, assuming he ever wore any

Cryptic Comet is basically a one-man show by a guy whose one true love is board games. His four computer boardgames were all basically experiments, none of which he really bothered with much followup on except SI (which was admittedly the best of them).

He went back to Physical Board Games some time ago. Which is a shame, I really think all four would at least find a niche audience on Steam.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Vic Davis also loves the hell out of some playing card games.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Vic also can't program for poo poo so all games are this terrible Adobe runtime flashy thing that was cancelled years ago.

extraordinary
Jun 9, 2011

Are you sure he meant gameplay videos? I'd actually tip on them releasing a few more modding videos first.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Occult Chronicles, the last Big Vic Davis project, actually just now got Greenlit---so maybe there's hope yet.

That Which Sleeps is definitely something I have high expectations for much the same as Cults & Daggers---in theory, all both need to do is patiently keep at it and let narrative/personality drive them forward and not so much becoming a slave to spreadsheets like a 4X gone wrong. There's ample room at the big table with Dominions!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

ExiledTinkerer posted:

There's ample room at the big table with Dominions!

See Dominions always felt a little empty to me. The battles were so abstract that I wasn't all that intrested and going maximum over slave was never not an option for people.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
todays DevFact

quote:

Belial is your classic "Control the World" archetype though he favors ruling from the shadows, he gets bonuses for remaining hidden and can conceal a name making it harder for sages to uncover that aspect, and as he wakes any who "speak it" (research it) will be revealed to you.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

For the love of gently caress guys upload a goddamn video!

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm so excited for this to turn out to be another mod video.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I don't care if it is at this point.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

So... where is the video supposed to be uploaded?

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They have a youtube channel called that which sleeps.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Which has had nothing happen on it for a month thus far.

I am seriously way too into this game at the moment. Does anyone know of any semi-decent KoDP like games out there? Or even stuff that is a bit older or crappier? Have god games fallen out of favour that much?

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Reus is the last god game i played in several years that wasn't absolute trash. Unless you count crusader kings 2 which is obviously a Good Game.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Reus is the last god game i played in several years that wasn't absolute trash. Unless you count crusader kings 2 which is obviously a Good Game.

Got both of those already. poo poo.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Make a custom character in iceland - a count with like 10 daughters, and try to overthrow norway through matrilineal marriage. It's the closest you can get to TWS at the moment.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Dev posted:

The next three are all modding videos.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Mother loving why seems like the best question.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
someone kill the official forums spergs already they're the reason for all the mod videos

please, satan

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

A cynic in me says they don't have anything resembling a working AI yet and modding is one of the few areas of the game which doesn't need it.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Gantolandon posted:

A cynic in me says they don't have anything resembling a working AI yet and modding is one of the few areas of the game which doesn't need it.

They don't need a working AI to make this game work. Look at the Total War series.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

They don't need a working AI to make this game work. Look at the Total War series.

I suppose an AI that does random poo poo could do well in this game. The player's goal is to create chaos anyway. Each stupid action of the opponent could be attributed to the Ancient One's strategic genius.

I'm getting a strong Cult vibe from this game.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

People on the forum really want to mod stuff. Also maybe they'll get the gamergater guy write another moany blogpost about them if they don't stick to the videos/timeframe again.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gantolandon posted:

The AI in this game is just a bunch of notables trying to do what they want while being told what to do by a more important notable to do what THEY want.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

The AI in this game is just a bunch of notables trying to do what they want while being told what to do by a more important notable to do what THEY want.

It's a pretty difficult thing to code, given that without the player's intervention they are supposed to eventually find and eliminate them. Agent-based systems are pretty difficult to coordinate.

Coin
Jan 9, 2006

I'm no shitposter; I always know how I'm posting is wrong. I'm just a guy that doesn't like reading the thread, effortposting, and respecting the mods. So if you think about it, I'm the best poster here.
I'll be very surprised if the AI is impressive at all. Having said that, if most of the features mentioned here are implemented and the AI exists at all, it will be worth $25 to me (if it can run on a computer that can handle Civ 5 but not Beyond Earth...stupid repurposed business computer)

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
To my retarded broke brain here's how the AI seems to handle decisions.

They got attacked by some guys. They bring together everyone who can make a decision and those people either vote yes or no to attacking back. Some people saying yes are worth more than other people saying yes, because they're more important. The general, who loves to murder, flashes red because he super wants to gently caress up some dudes. Another guy also flashes red because he's also super into murder. The uhh, other advisor, doesn't agree, but has less votes because it's a war matter. A ghost wearing magic chains says " well i think you should just kill everyone." There are more cumulative "yes" votes than "no" votes, so they counter attack. They aren't cumulatively super excited enough about war to push it over all the way into 'war' mode, though.

If the general was a coward maybe he'd maybe vote against attacking since fighting would be against his interests of not fighting. If the government was more of an absolute dictatorship the queen would have most of the influence points.

Normal Adult Human fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 25, 2015

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

To my retarded broke brain here's how the AI seems to handle decisions.

They got attacked by some guys. They bring together everyone who can make a decision and those people either vote yes or no to attacking back. Some people saying yes are worth more than other people saying yes, because they're more important. The general, who loves to murder, flashes red because he super wants to gently caress up some dudes. Another guy also flashes red because he's also super into murder. The uhh, other advisor, doesn't agree, but has less votes because it's a war matter. A ghost wearing magic chains says " well i think you should just kill everyone." There are more cumulative "yes" votes than "no" votes, so they counter attack. They aren't cumulatively super excited enough about war to push it over all the way into 'war' mode, though.

If the general was a coward maybe he'd maybe vote against attacking since fighting would be against his interests of not fighting. If the government was more of an absolute dictatorship the queen would have most of the influence points.

Making them do semi-random poo poo and occasionally voting some decision is the easy part. The hard part is actually getting them to mount a coordinated response against you. Your goal in this game seems to be "create chaos and prevent the enemy from ganging up on you". It would be pretty lame if you hosed up literally everything and the enemies started to slaughter each other anyway because more generals who love murder were generated in this particular campaign.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's a notable in the game with a hidden trait called "the chosen one" and he will form an alliance to destroy you, which triggers the endgame. He has plot armor so he can't be randomly killed by something that wasn't influenced by you.

I'm not sure if that counts as bad AI or not. That specific notable definitely would count as a cheating AI, though.

Normal Adult Human fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 25, 2015

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Those of you who are waiting for a new dev video at the crack of dawn Saturday better be ready to keep waiting. Since the Kickstarter launched, KDP have managed to miss literally every single deadline they've set for themselves.

Its understandable considering they're two indie developers working on a pretty complex game who's scope was massively expanded, but I would legitimately be surprised if the new video or mod tools are actually released this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

There's a notable in the game with a hidden trait called "the chosen one" and he will form an alliance to destroy you, which triggers the endgame. He has plot armor so he can't be randomly killed by something that wasn't influenced by you.

I'm not sure if that counts as bad AI or not. That specific notable definitely would count as a cheating AI, though.

I think that's fair enough, really, the chosen one not being able to get their dumb rear end killed by random bandits or whatever. It'd be a funny story, sure, but it definitely isn't a thing that should happen often. The whole point of the chosen one is that they're your enemy, you need to figure out who they are and stop them, etc. That's why they're the chosen one and all that.

• Locked thread