Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

drat Dirty Ape posted:

This actually has me interested in this game. My group tends to get bored of the 'multiplayer solitaire' type games pretty fast, but games were you can screw over your buddy and/or call someone a dirty cylon are usually a hit.

The game is certainly anything but multiplayer solitaire. Everything you do will effect everything your opponents do and vice versa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

OmegaGoo posted:

Argent would be a good choice then. It's the exact opposite of multiplayer solitaire. Your dudes are probably not going to stay where you put them.

Yeah, it's one of the few games where placing a worker in a spot first can actually be a disadvantage, since he or she now has a giant target on his or her back.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Concordia has a really pretty board :blush: I am excited to give it a go this week

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Welp, you guys sold me on Argent. It sounds awesome as hell, and the flaws don’t seem like they’ll apply to / bother my group(s) much. And both groups enjoy being aggressive, so they’ll eat this up.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

Welp, you guys sold me on Argent. It sounds awesome as hell, and the flaws don’t seem like they’ll apply to / bother my group(s) much. And both groups enjoy being aggressive, so they’ll eat this up.

And the same discussion has nudged me the other way, as I think there's probably too much screwage potential for my group. Good job thread on actually conveying useful information on a game (beyond whether it's fun).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Ugh I have a gift card burning a hole in my pocket. Which should I buy:

Dominion + Dominion Adventures

or

Star Wars LCG + Edge of Darkness

Or a mix of two of the following:

LotR LCG

Imperial Settlers

Agircola All Creatures Big & Small

Roll for the Galaxy

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Was the World of Warcraft CCG good?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

signalnoise posted:

Play hearthstone instead.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

or

LotR LCG

Imperial Settlers

Roll for the Galaxy

Adventures is going to be rough if you don't understand the core mechanics. get Dominion/Intrigue/Seaside instead, they should be right about the same price as Dominion+Adventures and they're a much, much easier introduction

also dominion's easily the best game on that list, go for that

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Bottom Liner posted:

or

LotR LCG

Imperial Settlers

Roll for the Galaxy

Dominion. Probably not Adventures though, I'd chase it with either Intrigue, Prosperity or Seaside. Adventures is waaaay complex for a first expansion.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Dominion -> Intrigue -> Hinterlands

No half measures.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

CodfishCartographer posted:

Yeah, if your group likes worker placement and aggressive play, Argent will be a good fit.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Everyone already said all that needs to be said but I want to promote this guy's reviews because they are excellent and only 5 minutes long which is fantastic. And they're all drawings so you don't have to look at a dumb neckbeard. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9szq8lGl4M

The only other possible problem that no one mentioned is that the spell cards don't come in a regular size, they are slightly bigger than Dixit cards so good luck trying to sleeve them if you're a crazy sleeve person like me.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Dominion for the deckbuilding and RftG for tableu/engine building. Then expand them later once you get tired of the base games.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

EvilChameleon posted:

Everyone already said all that needs to be said but I want to promote this guy's reviews because they are excellent and only 5 minutes long which is fantastic. And they're all drawings so you don't have to look at a dumb neckbeard. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9szq8lGl4M

The only other possible problem that no one mentioned is that the spell cards don't come in a regular size, they are slightly bigger than Dixit cards so good luck trying to sleeve them if you're a crazy sleeve person like me.

Probably euro instead of american mini cards then?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

oh yeah, been meaning to ask for a bit, anyone have any experience sleeving traglooper? there was a fuckup at the factory and one of my mastermind cards was damaged before it was packaged, so I'm going to have to sleeve at least those

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

signalnoise posted:

Probably euro instead of american mini cards then?

Dixit are giant tarot sized cards. Dixit sleeves mostly work well. You get a bit of peeking, but nothing major. And it's not like I get to play it often enough anyway :negative:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Oh my bad

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Fungah! posted:

oh yeah, been meaning to ask for a bit, anyone have any experience sleeving traglooper? there was a fuckup at the factory and one of my mastermind cards was damaged before it was packaged, so I'm going to have to sleeve at least those

I haven't yet, but I've been meaning to. I'd use Magic sleeves and get some really high quality ones.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Imperial Settlers

Imperial Settlers is a really bad game.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Malloreon posted:

Imperial Settlers is a really bad game.

Would love to hear more; it was heavily broken when I played it incorrectly, but I'm curious how it is compared to 51st state, or if you just think the entire series is flawed beyond playing.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

silvergoose posted:

Would love to hear more; it was heavily broken when I played it incorrectly, but I'm curious how it is compared to 51st state, or if you just think the entire series is flawed beyond playing.

As I've said in a couple threads when it comes up, here is a great way to simulate playing IS in about 1 minute:

Malloreon posted:

If you want to play this game very quickly, gather 3 other players. Each player gets a die, and each sums 5 rolls of their die to determine their final score.
One random player, Japan, gets a d4. Two others get a d6 each. One player, Egypt, gets a d12.

In brief, each player has common buildings that can be attacked/destroyed by other players, and unique buildings, that cannot. Japan's unique buildings, however, can be attacked/destroyed as if they were common. To make up for it, each turn they can place one double strength defender dude.

Also, one of the Egypt player's unique buildings, the Oasis, is utterly game breaking. It boils down to "every time another player does [common action], Egypt gets to do [common action] as well, for free."

The game boils down to "if Egypt draws the Oasis before round 3 of 5, they will win by 30-40 points. Under no circumstances will Japan win."

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

silvergoose posted:

It's weird, I actually enjoyed playing 51st State, but loving HATE Imperial Settlers. I think the main difference is that (if I recall, it's been like a year) 51st State has a common pool of cards that people are drafting and drawing from. Imperial Settlers has a common pool too, but the personal decks are where most of the broken annoying bullshit comes from. Also, if I recall, 51st State let you blow up any building, so if someone had a lynchpin combo settlement, you could just blow it up if you wanted to. Not so with Imperial Settlers, where bullshit combo pieces like Oasis are nearly invulnerable.

I have no idea how my impression of 51st State would be colored now that I know Imperial Settlers is a terrible game, like if the faults of that game would inform me further of the faults in 51st, but I do distinctly remember having a better time of it.

Malloreon posted:

Also, one of the Egypt player's unique buildings, the Oasis, is utterly game breaking. It boils down to "every time another player does [common action], Egypt gets to do [common action] as well, for free."

The game boils down to "if Egypt draws the Oasis before round 3 of 5, they will win by 30-40 points. Under no circumstances will Japan win."

It should be noted that there are "rarities" to these culture specific buildings, so one game Egypt could not draw the Oasis and have to actually care about what's going on in the game, but if they happen to draw their (1 of?) Oasis, good game, and then you play Dead of Winter to continue your night of disappointment and poor life choices.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Malloreon posted:

As I've said in a couple threads when it comes up, here is a great way to simulate playing IS in about 1 minute:

In brief, each player has common buildings that can be attacked/destroyed by other players, and unique buildings, that cannot. Japan's unique buildings, however, can be attacked/destroyed as if they were common. To make up for it, each turn they can place one double strength defender dude.

That...doesn't sound completely out of line. I played Japan, and felt like the "other people can destroy my faction buildings" was insane, and Egypt did indeed win though I think it was due to pyramids rather than oasis?

It's sad, because we all actually quite enjoyed 51st state due to the theme and the very, very tight resource management. Will probably give IS another try, but it sounds like it might turn into ISIS anyway.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

So one the one hand I want Argent, on the other, one of the people I play with is the massive AP case that turns Eclipse into a 6 hour slog.

Are there any good recent games that are kinda heavy but somehow escape AP?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Some Numbers posted:

I haven't yet, but I've been meaning to. I'd use Magic sleeves and get some really high quality ones.

Yeah, magic sleeves work just fine.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

cool, thanks guys

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Are you at CSI tonight, Broken Loose? Lot of people here, I'm wearing a SF Giants baseball cap.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Toshimo posted:

Wowzers.

This is the case with almost every video game that has a solo/AI mode.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

signalnoise posted:

It was amazing, and Hearthstone is a shell of what the original was, but is the closest thing you'll get to it. I wouldn't recommend buying physical wowtcg product even if you can still find any, since competing with people is the best part of a TCG and well, you won't find any competition for it.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Anyone played Polis: Fight for the Hegemony? Seems like a really interesting mix of euro and wargame and seems to be really well reviewed.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Someone a few pages ago asked for a game that's good for 2 and also more players. And it was discussed otherwise, but Viticulture

It scales really well with different player counts. For 1-2 players (if you have Tuscany you can play it 1 player, it's really fun) each action can be taken once, 3-4 each action can be taken twice, 5-6 each action can be taken three times. Each player can still only take each action once per round, but it's a really way of scaling the player count without just adding more actions. Also it's a tight enough game that I've noticed a significant difference in playing a 3 or 5 player game vs a 1 (single player plays like 2 player), 2, 4, or 6 player game.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Don't recall this being posted:

quote:

• The funny thing about Time Stories' delay, though, is that Space Cowboys has another title in the offing for 2015, a combination you might never have expected to see: a Martin Wallace zombie design titled Route 666. Here's a short description, followed by a video featuring Space Cowboys' Croc, who starts talking about Route 666 at the 7:00 mark, referring to it as a "party game for hardcore gamers".

Quote:
In Route 666, each player leads a team of five survivors through a hostile land infested by zombies. Their backpacks are filled with food, weapons, bullets and maps of their surroundings. You have to be careful with these meager resources as the team will enter increasingly dangerous areas as the game progresses. Zombies of all types await, with cannibals, anti-personal mines and radioactive wastes also being among the hazards awaiting the players. Who will survive the zombie onslaught?

http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/38783/new-game-round-fast-and-furious-table-real-time-de

Wonder if Martin Wallace will make an anime babe game next! Also what's up with Croc, when is he going to make a new game?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Played Dead of Winter and Lords of Xidit tonight and had a lot of fun with both. Our DoW game had 5 players and the scenario was collecting 15 samples from zombies by killing them and rolling a 4 or higher, but unfortunately we got two early bites and lost a lot of morale in the first two rounds. Then our betrayer pulled off some big shenanigans and we lost on round 5 by hitting 0 morale from another bite. My character, Sparky the Stunt dog, was the map of the game killing zombies left and right and contributing the most towards our objective. We were at 12 samples when we lost!

Lords of Xidit was my first programming game but it was a lot of fun. Planning out the next 6 moves and trying to play around what you think your opponents will do when the moves go off is a lot of fun. Got second in this one by one point!

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Fungah! posted:

If you've only just bought it, hit up Z-Man Games for a replacement. They are pretty on-point with that sort of thing if it's just a minor replacement.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Bottom Liner posted:

Are you at CSI tonight, Broken Loose? Lot of people here, I'm wearing a SF Giants baseball cap.

I'm very sorry. A group of hotties abducted me and dragged me to dollar margarita night. I'm somehow not regretting this set of events.

I'll email you with actual contact info stuff so we can hang out or something. I try to have people over for games all the time, but my schedule's been rather packed as of late.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Now that Argent seems to be the new best thing ever, I have to ask how much the expansion is needed. Is it essential or just a bunch of mini expansions?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Electric Hobo posted:

Now that Argent seems to be the new best thing ever, I have to ask how much the expansion is needed. Is it essential or just a bunch of mini expansions?

I've not yet purchased the expansion. From what I understand they are awesome, with the more important one to get being Mancers of the University (since it adds the 6th color), albeit unnecessary.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

bobvonunheil posted:

If you've only just bought it, hit up Z-Man Games for a replacement. They are pretty on-point with that sort of thing if it's just a minor replacement.

Yeah my TM Was missing a tiny wooden cylinder and they mailed it right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Electric Hobo posted:

It's basically more of everything. Not "essential," but not that difficult to add in. In my opinion, the best part isn't the new school, but the extra Bell Tower cards, so that you have some variety with them (I always keep the first player one, though). But yeah, pretty solid expansion.