Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Terper posted:

Who would win, Goku or All Might?
Trick question, they'd just hang out.

Supes can come too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Goku would spend 30 minutes powering up, which would use up all of All Might's power for the day.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

they'd be friends and Goku would get One For All

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Ruggington posted:

they'd be friends and Goku would get One For All

I'm 99% sure Goku would turn it down

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I wonder if Bakugou's explosions would have had more of an effect on Nappa than Chiaotzu's.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

Trick question, they'd just hang out.

Supes can come too.

GOKU MY BOY

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Stairmaster posted:

does chichis helmet laser ignore power levels like the destructo disc

Humans dont have as much default durability as saiyans even when they train and have to use their ki to block stuff. More reasons why humans should have pride over those cheating Saiyans.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Darko posted:

Humans dont have as much default durability as saiyans even when they train and have to use their ki to block stuff. More reasons why humans should have pride over those cheating Saiyans.

According to DBO, in 1,000 years, all humans are somewhat saiyan so it's a moot point.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Terper posted:

You can wear it in Xenoverse, and if you do and Android 18 is your master, she goes "woah ok not cool"

The worst part is if you don't commit to loot grinding it seems to be the best outfit for physical attackers.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Rodyle posted:

The worst part is if you don't commit to loot grinding it seems to be the best outfit for physical attackers.

Oh God, didn't know that. I thought we were over the era of women fighters having chainmail bikinis.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Rodyle posted:

Pretty sure there are better outfits to buy. Of the top of my head I think the Wild Rider outfit is the best all-race outfit for strikes.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Eh, Broly,Bardock and 18 are better.

edit: Oh yeah, and Bulma's Wild Rider outfit.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
More on Time and the Toriyama

Each panel in a comic represents a length of time passing. In isolation, a single square-shaped panel with one focal point lasts some unit of time in our minds, which I will call a beat. Adding other focal points adds more beats, as does adding dialog - the more dialog, the longer the beat. Since our mind takes in a speech balloon as one unit of time, splitting dialog into more than one separate balloon lengthens the time we perceive as passing - often necessary because if a character's balloon is a huge wall of text it seems overwhelming, like they're rattling all that off without moving or pausing. Even so, sometimes splitting balloons isn't enough to stop a wall of text from being dumb.

Um, so he's just frozen there with his hand in that position the entire time he's saying all that? Well OK.

Additionally, in comics panels that are long horizontally with relation to the width of the page are seen as lasting a greater period of time, so panels that stretch across the entire width of the page are seen as lasting the greatest amount of time. These long horizontal panels function in a similar way to a horizontal panning shot in cinema.

Panels that are very long vertically (stretching across 2/3rds or more of the height of the page) can also be seen as depicting a longer period of time than surrounding panels, but the effect is weaker and there is greater risk of confusing the reader because it can often be read that whatever is happening in the vertical panel continues to happen as the stuff in the panels to the right or left of it is happening. A long thin vertical panel is most often used to provide us a full-body shot of a character so we can admire their awesome body or costume or whatever and it's meant to function in a similar way to a vertical pan in cinema.

It's best used when it's safe to assume whatever is happening in the vertical panel continues to happen during the horizontal panels that sit next to it. I personally am not a big fan because usually once you get below the waist (heh) the design isn't that interesting and the reader's eyes will wander away, and I've seen it used way too many times right next to panels where the featured character then starts doing something, which makes their vertical panel have a weird overlay effect, like I'm watching a flashback or something (in fact I've seen vertical panels used deliberately to take sections "out of time.")

Probably safe to assume here that 17 continues to stand around while Piccolo clenches his fists n' stuff.

A panel that has several focal points, especially one in which the artist has included "pointers" to force your eye to sweep in a zig-zag pattern across it, is also meant to depict a longer duration of time, and works similarly to a sequence shot in film. In a comic panel, every direction change in the sweep of your eye adds more time to the duration of the shot. This technique is generally suitable for establishing shots meant to show a chaotic scene and should be used sparingly - it's often not easy to tell at a first glance what the reader should focus on next after absorbing each individual focal point, so if the artist relies on this too much, the reader will feel exhausted and just start skimming.

In summary, to lengthen the period of time a panel is perceived to depict:
  • Add more simultaneous events (focal points, to make the panel the equivalent of a panning shot in cinema)
  • Add speech balloons
  • Make the panel long and thin, particularly on the horizontal axis
  • Force the reader's eye to zig-zag across the panel (not recommended for regular use)

So a panel like this is one that we would perceive as depicting a comparatively long stretch of time:

Note that it is one page width long, has three disparate elements, and also includes speech bubbles. So as we read from the right edge to the left, we read the huffing and puffing of Roshi, see Roshi, read his next huffing and puffing, see that Krillin is jogging, also huffing and puffing, Goku is jogging, yes, huffing and puffing, and then we see background elements, as if we are stationary observers and these three characters have run past us - and at the moment we observe the palm tree, they are still running (audibly so, too, since Goku's last huff/puff trails behind him slightly.)

Let's look at the beginning of Chapter 30, the part I skipped before.

• We have a large establishing shot of Kame house. We absorb the house and the tree, then see the crowing rooster - we're meant to linger here.
  • Then we get a small panel with the ringing alarm clock and another small panel of Roshi stopping the alarm clock - both panels each have just one focal point, and both are read as encapsulating very brief moments in time.
  • While the panel with Roshi getting up is about as wide as the above alarm clock panels, it reads as lasting longer. Roshi speaks, we see him sitting up and rubbing the sleep out of his eyes, and the lines in his robe ensure we look all the way down to the bottom of the panel before tracking up and seeing Krillin sleeping. Due to the placement of object in this panel, it functions as a panning shot - imagine a film scene where we see Roshi sit up and rub his eyes, then we widen the shot to include Krillin sleeping, all while Roshi continue to rub his eyes. This panel's flow basically has a bounce in its trajectory.
  • Roshi gets dressed and talks to Krillin, then in the next panel Krillin says something and Roshi answers, also very brief. These two panels are about as wide as the previous one and include more dialog but they each read as brief and snappy because we sweep across them in a linear way without needing to double back. They do, however, read as taking more time than the alarm clock panels because they have dialog and more elements that take the focus (to be honest I think including the dangling alarm clock in the foreground of the last panel was not a great choice because the leg of the alarm clock very nearly is tangent to Krillin's sleeve, so it seems like there's a weird blob there at first because the alarm clock's silhouette doesn't stand out. If I were Toriyama I would have shifted it a bit to the left or not included it at all.

• Roshi walks upstairs. Great use of flow pointers as the lines in this shot all point to Roshi as the focal point. Relatively brief.
  • This panel appears to last some time as our eye sweeps over it in a reverse Z pattern - from Roshi's thought-bubble dialog to Lunch to Goku to Roshi to Roshi's 2nd dialog. You could split this into two panels, one showing the sleeping Lunch and Goku and the other showing Roshi's reaction. This is better though since it tells us where the characters are in relation to each other.
  • The next panel is perfectly square and has one focal point. Pretty brief.
  • The panel of Roshi noticing that Lunch has blond hair is pretty brief because we can sweep over it in one pass.
  • We see Roshi think, then sweat, then think as he continue sweating and contemplating Lunch. This one is fun because we read the first bubble, then look at Roshi, then read the next bubble, then look at Roshi, then we follow Roshis' gaze to Lunch. It's the use of the speech balloons that draw out the "time" in this panel - it works because the end of the dialog in the first balloon takes us to Roshi's head, and the bottom of the dialog in the next balloon also is up close to Roshi's head (unlike the last panel where the last balloon doesn't point us back to Roshi.) This helps us imagine Roshi frozen in that position while he plans his next move.
  • This panel invites us to linger because it's really akin to a panning shot - we focus on Roshi and then our gaze travels down the handle of the broom, taking in the speech bubbles and characters, landing us on Goku's face getting hit.

• The top two panels here are both very brief beats, showing one action happening right after another. Pow, Goku wakes up! Pow, Lunch wakes up!
  • This next panel is pretty funny. While we can sweep across it in one linear direction, the fact that the panel spans the entire width of the page makes it seem to last a long period of time. Because it's a close up shot, we feel intimately close - awkwardly close. We get the feeling that Goku and Lunch stare at each other (Goku with his hand raised) for some length of time not moving, just sizing each other up.
  • The panel of Lunch getting up has us start on Lunch's face, travel down her leg to Goku, and then up for Goku's dialog, causing this scene to linger slightly longer than the next panel because we had a bend in the flow. (Notice also that Lunch's head is the main focal point but all the lines point down to Goku's head, from the wall, to the sheets, and yes, Lunch's leg.) The panel of Lunch trying to shoot Goku, while having a similar width, seems faster because we can sweep our eyes across it in a straight line.

• Lunch shoots Goku and we see Goku react. This is like a panning shot in that we perceive Lunch as continuing to shoot Goku while we focus on his reaction.
  • This panel is pretty brief - just one action
  • The action-line panel of Goku's kick definitely invites us to linger. It's as wide as the entire page and builds a huge level of tension with the speedlines and intensity of the pose.
  • The panel wherein Goku's kick connects is a brief but satisfying resolution to the tension created in the previous panel. It has a single point of focus.
  • The last panel has a longer duration than the previous one because we first see Lunch beat up on the floor and then see Goku; we imagine Lunch is still on the floor twitching or whatever while Goku has his dialog.

And now the grand creepshot, Goku stands watching as Roshi hovers his finger over the prone form of a woman who was beaten unconscious.
My final remark, on the last panel (also an establishing shot) we are meant to perceive Roshi as continuing to speak the dialog that's in his balloons while Goku and Krillin look on, even if our eyes don't sweep over them until after reading Roshi's dialog. That's the magic of comics - your brain stitches it together for you automatically.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 23, 2015

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Emong posted:

Pretty sure there are better outfits to buy. Of the top of my head I think the Wild Rider outfit is the best all-race outfit for strikes.

Never found or unlocked that, but I never got past Beerus and Whis :downs:

I did spend a lot of that game with no pants though. S'what I get for trying to be physical only character I guess!

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 23, 2015

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I've never seen Dragonball, why is Kame House in a field and not on the island?

Covok
May 27, 2013

New Leaf posted:

I've never seen Dragonball, why is Kame House in a field and not on the island?

He moved it to train them. It fits in a capsule.

Emong
May 31, 2011

Rodyle posted:

Never found or unlocked that, but I never got past Beerus and Whis :downs:

I did spend a lot of that game with no pants though. S'what I get for trying to be physical only character I guess!

I played a physical-only Namekian and beat them my first try :colbert:

(The secret is Blue Hurricane.)

Covok
May 27, 2013

Emong posted:

I played a physical-only Namekian and beat them my first try :colbert:

(The secret is Blue Hurricane.)

I did that with literally the same build...sans blue hurricane. 100 in Basic Attack is all you need!

Emong
May 31, 2011

Also random thought about the new movie: If the new form is just God-powered Super Saiyan, couldn't Goku just go SSJ3 using the same trick to be stupidly strong?

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Wouldn't he burn out faster than SSJ4 Gogeta, though

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Raserys posted:

Wouldn't he burn out faster than SSJ4 Gogeta, though

Most likely.

So I hosed up and didn't pick up the S.H. Figuarts Freiza when I had the chance, and now it's commanding upwards of $200.

What is the likely-hood of any of these getting a reprint or something? I saw they have Datong rejects for Vegeta that I've seen comparisons for and they are close enough for me. Just gotta snag a cheap'ish one on eBay. Haven't seen anything from them for Freiza, and I am kicking myself for not spending the $40 when I had the chance. Already in for Vegetto though at least. :sigh:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Emong posted:

Also random thought about the new movie: If the new form is just God-powered Super Saiyan, couldn't Goku just go SSJ3 using the same trick to be stupidly strong?

Any form above standard Super Saiyan at this point is horribly inefficient and would burn out in a second. It's a similar reason why Trunks going The Rock against Cell was a bad idea and why Freeza never used his full power if he could avoid it

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I hope they do reprints on the figuarts. The Cell and Android 18 ones look amazing compared to all the other figures released for them, but they are expensive as gently caress since they are out of print.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Rirse posted:

I hope they do reprints on the figuarts. The Cell and Android 18 ones look amazing compared to all the other figures released for them, but they are expensive as gently caress since they are out of print.

I'm hoping they legit announce Nappa soon, because I'm trying currently to get a Vegeta, and a Nappa to go with would be amazing.

E: Well gently caress me, a seller put up the SDCC Original Colors Vegeta for 29.99 and it broke me. :( Yes it's inevitably a knock off obviously, but the comparison videos show it to be almost exactly the same anyway.

My wife even said she liked those colors better. I'm totally still keeping an eye out for a regular one as well though.

Drowning Rabbit fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 23, 2015

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Covok posted:

According to DBO, in 1,000 years, all humans are somewhat saiyan so it's a moot point.

From what I recall, it's not quite that. All the PLAYABLE humans have a little bit of space monkey in them by Age 1000, there are many others without it. And they need Shenron's help to unlock just basic Super Saiyan anyway.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Watched the last episode of Dragon Ball and quite liked that series overall. I did enjoy the filler part at the end with Goku and Chi-Chi since she never gets to do anything in Dragon Ball Z, so it nice for her to go on a adventure with Goku for a change. That said, I don't know how many times they reused the animation of Ox-King running down a hallway that is on fire.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I'm hoping they legit announce Nappa soon, because I'm trying currently to get a Vegeta, and a Nappa to go with would be amazing.

E: Well gently caress me, a seller put up the SDCC Original Colors Vegeta for 29.99 and it broke me. :( Yes it's inevitably a knock off obviously, but the comparison videos show it to be almost exactly the same anyway.

My wife even said she liked those colors better. I'm totally still keeping an eye out for a regular one as well though.

My experience with knock-offs is that they are often flawed in very annoying ways. One nendoroid I ordered had a skirt that didn't fit and the entire thing fell apart, arms falling off, the accessories didn't fit in her hands and the entire thing smelled really weird. Like it was dunked in chlorine or something.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest

Xibanya posted:

Stuff about the sense of time in comics
Animated adaptations can really highlight when characters are talking for too long. I've recently seen some of the Marvel Super Heroes cartoons from the 60's. These were essentially slideshows of comic panels with audible voices in place of speech bubbles and minimal animation. It always looks kind of silly, but never more than when somebody has a monologue. That's when you can get over half a minute of a static image on screen with only the mouth moving. I remember some old retsupurae featuring a flash animation of a webcomic that pointed out this happening. The current JoJo anime has also occasionally had moments where there's just a close-up of a character's face as they monologue while some deadly attack is coming their way.

Of course I would be remiss not to mention Dragonball Z here, the anime being notorious for things taking forever (e.g. the infamous "five minutes" on Namek). As I understand it, much of that is filler and padding that was added because the anime was catching up to the manga too quickly. That's basically the other side of the same coin. Putting a comic's events into real time and formatting it for TV slots can result in things being resolved much more efficiently than they were in the source material. The fundamental differences in format mean not everything always translates well from one to the other.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Makes me wonder how the Deadpool movie will turn out.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Alpha3KV posted:

Animated adaptations can really highlight when characters are talking for too long. I've recently seen some of the Marvel Super Heroes cartoons from the 60's. These were essentially slideshows of comic panels with audible voices in place of speech bubbles and minimal animation. It always looks kind of silly, but never more than when somebody has a monologue. That's when you can get over half a minute of a static image on screen with only the mouth moving. I remember some old retsupurae featuring a flash animation of a webcomic that pointed out this happening. The current JoJo anime has also occasionally had moments where there's just a close-up of a character's face as they monologue while some deadly attack is coming their way.

This is specially ridiculous in sports anime, where it makes it look like the field is several miles long.

Nice work as always, Xibanya, I never realized plenty of those things, like how the close up of Goku and Lunch helps the reader feel the awkwardness of the situation. It's a lot of things you know that work but it's hard to explain why.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So I was trying to help out a friends art so I showed them Xibanya's thing to tell them when there done detailing their characters to try silhouette's to see if they look visually distinct in comic form. She seemed to think it was stupid because "The only reason you can tell Goku and Krillin apart is Goku's poofy hair if you switched them for one panel you wouldn't be able to tell the difference."

It was a... very long argument with no real resolution.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
That seems like she missed a key point.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Mordaedil posted:

My experience with knock-offs is that they are often flawed in very annoying ways. One nendoroid I ordered had a skirt that didn't fit and the entire thing fell apart, arms falling off, the accessories didn't fit in her hands and the entire thing smelled really weird. Like it was dunked in chlorine or something.

For less than 1/4 the price, I'm rolling the dice. Hoping for the best.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Mordaedil posted:

That seems like she missed a key point.

Yeah I know. She also tried to argue Tarble and Gohan from Yo! Son Goku looked the same. I offered "Are you sure you don't mean Vegeta and Tarble?" Nope. Adamant that Gohan and Tarble looked the same.... if you only accounted for their heads. She was very determined to only account for the heads.

The thing is she didn't have a bad drawing though rather generic and rough http://puu.sh/hnTnp/aee6ff86d6.jpg (Not image linked because it's not relevent) and I was just try to help.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Most likely.

So I hosed up and didn't pick up the S.H. Figuarts Freiza when I had the chance, and now it's commanding upwards of $200.

What is the likely-hood of any of these getting a reprint or something? I saw they have Datong rejects for Vegeta that I've seen comparisons for and they are close enough for me. Just gotta snag a cheap'ish one on eBay. Haven't seen anything from them for Freiza, and I am kicking myself for not spending the $40 when I had the chance. Already in for Vegetto though at least. :sigh:

I'm really, really lucky to have all of these....

I managed to pick up Vegeta and Trunks at an anime con last year for a "mere" $100 each. These figures go for INSANE prices on the aftermarket. I really, really regret not getting Saiyan Saga Vegeta when I had the chance. Now he's like $250!

Also, supposedly the only ones that can ever be re-released are Goku, Piccolo and Gohan, because all the rest are Tamashii web exclusives. They did reissue Goku and Piccolo recently, and Gohan is coming out soon.

I got 16 and 17 recently, because if I didn't get them NOW, then I'd have to pay crazy prices for them. Hell, I thought of picking of Broly for that reason, and I don't even LIKE Broly.

I believe the upcoming figures are Vegito, Super Buu (Gohan Absorbed) and Super Buu (Gotenks absorbed). The selection for Buu strikes me as really odd, because when I think of Buu, I think of Fat Buu, regular Super Buu or Kid Buu, not his absorbed forms. What I really want are Fat Buu, Kid Buu, Great Saiyaman and Videl. Oh, and Hercule of course.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Onmi posted:

So I was trying to help out a friends art so I showed them Xibanya's thing to tell them when there done detailing their characters to try silhouette's to see if they look visually distinct in comic form. She seemed to think it was stupid because "The only reason you can tell Goku and Krillin apart is Goku's poofy hair if you switched them for one panel you wouldn't be able to tell the difference."

It was a... very long argument with no real resolution.

Let her know that Toriyama used to be a graphic designer making ads and was already a manga veteran by this point. Ask her "can you think of why Toriyama may have decided to make Goku and Krillin have similar body types on purpose?"

My next effort post is going to be on externals so this ties in rather well.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'm really, really lucky to have all of these....

I managed to pick up Vegeta and Trunks at an anime con last year for a "mere" $100 each. These figures go for INSANE prices on the aftermarket. I really, really regret not getting Saiyan Saga Vegeta when I had the chance. Now he's like $250!

Also, supposedly the only ones that can ever be re-released are Goku, Piccolo and Gohan, because all the rest are Tamashii web exclusives. They did reissue Goku and Piccolo recently, and Gohan is coming out soon.

I got 16 and 17 recently, because if I didn't get them NOW, then I'd have to pay crazy prices for them. Hell, I thought of picking of Broly for that reason, and I don't even LIKE Broly.

I believe the upcoming figures are Vegito, Super Buu (Gohan Absorbed) and Super Buu (Gotenks absorbed). The selection for Buu strikes me as really odd, because when I think of Buu, I think of Fat Buu, regular Super Buu or Kid Buu, not his absorbed forms. What I really want are Fat Buu, Kid Buu, Great Saiyaman and Videl. Oh, and Hercule of course.

Super jealous. I don't go to anime conventions so I kind of miss out on that market. I would most look forward to Nappa (They had a sculpt on display somewhere?!), Kid Buu, and Super 17. Looks like I'll probably have to keep an eye out for a decent Perfect Cell/17/18/Freiza at least. :(

Goku/Piccolo I can hopefully grab on some re-release. Or maybe new sculpts.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Super jealous. I don't go to anime conventions so I kind of miss out on that market. I would most look forward to Nappa (They had a sculpt on display somewhere?!), Kid Buu, and Super 17. Looks like I'll probably have to keep an eye out for a decent Perfect Cell/17/18/Freiza at least. :(

Goku/Piccolo I can hopefully grab on some re-release. Or maybe new sculpts.

I got roped into doing a panel about gunpla at an anime con this year. Someone told me "hey, you're gonna do this with me" and I'm like "well... okay. This is gonna be... yeah."

I've gone to Animazement and another local one for the dealer rooms pretty much. Haven't ever gone into any panels because they are almost always terrible.

Also there are a LOT of weird people there. This is me at an anime con:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_bYePrGpIg

(I'm not actually Mike Stoklasa I'm just his clone)

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Onmi posted:

Yeah I know. She also tried to argue Tarble and Gohan from Yo! Son Goku looked the same. I offered "Are you sure you don't mean Vegeta and Tarble?" Nope. Adamant that Gohan and Tarble looked the same.... if you only accounted for their heads. She was very determined to only account for the heads.

The thing is she didn't have a bad drawing though rather generic and rough http://puu.sh/hnTnp/aee6ff86d6.jpg (Not image linked because it's not relevent) and I was just try to help.

Alternatively tell her "the only reason you can tell Batman and Superman apart is that they look different :downs: "

Is your friend 16? Because that's how I drew when I was in high school. An OK start but watch out for that cargo cult thinking. (A good start would be having that character take a pose that better shows their personality.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Gammatron 64 posted:

I got roped into doing a panel about gunpla at an anime con this year. Someone told me "hey, you're gonna do this with me" and I'm like "well... okay. This is gonna be... yeah."

I've gone to Animazement and another local one for the dealer rooms pretty much. Haven't ever gone into any panels because they are almost always terrible.

I've gone to PAX East as I'm way more into video games than anime in general, so I'm aware of the awkwardness at Cons, but I would assume that it's only heightened so much more with the subject being Anime. We have Anime Boston over here that I should try at least once I guess.

• Locked thread