Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Cool, thanks guys. That definitely makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

You guys were totally right :) They were looking for a generalist and I'm quite glad I didn't start off the interview by saying I knew nothing about what they did.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Nice one!

I was told I'd hear "early this week" about my in-person interview but I haven't heard. Too early to follow-up?

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Sharks Below posted:

Nice one!

I was told I'd hear "early this week" about my in-person interview but I haven't heard. Too early to follow-up?

Wait until after lunch tomorrow.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

Bisty Q. posted:

Wait until after lunch tomorrow.

Roger that. Hopefully they'll call tomorrow. Gotta be patient I guess! I felt confident after the phone interview, never can tell what'll happen though.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

For those that have been following my long interview saga with that late-stage startup...just got an email from one of the guys I interviewed with saying he needs to speak with me tomorrow. The job posting is gone, he's not the HR person nor the hiring manager. After all that poo poo, I'm not getting the loving job. And I STILL haven't been reimbursed for my flight.

N.N. Ashe
Dec 29, 2009
I wonder if you say "hey I've been burned on this before, if you want me to fly out there y'all need pay upfront, no reimbursals" you'd lose any worthwhile companies. The time cost and cash flow change could only remove the worst it seems. Plus if they don't play ball with talent, the earlier to find out the better.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

N.N. Ashe posted:

I wonder if you say "hey I've been burned on this before, if you want me to fly out there y'all need pay upfront, no reimbursals" you'd lose any worthwhile companies. The time cost and cash flow change could only remove the worst it seems. Plus if they don't play ball with talent, the earlier to find out the better.

Of course you will. For a startup type that might not be an unreasonable request (im still sceptical but anything goes for startups), but bigger companies often have set procedures for reimbursement and there's no reason to think toyota or whatever is going to scam you for 3000 bucks. It just makes you look paranoid and high maintenance, and rightly so.

Edit: seriously if you cant trust a company to pay you then why are you applying at all? Are you going to demand every paycheck upfront too? This entire idea is absurd the more i think about it.

Zo fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 22, 2015

N.N. Ashe
Dec 29, 2009
Someone just posted they was worried about it and this happened to a family member and they were out a grand.

But if you want to believe every company is trustworthy and interviewees shouldn't even try to take simple steps to not get hosed, go right ahead.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Where did i say every company is trustworthy? Are you retarded or just illiterate?

Anyway this is an advice thread and your suggestion of throwing out ultimatums and making demands before even interviews is Not Good Advice. If it's a shady place dont apply in the first place.

N.N. Ashe
Dec 29, 2009
I asked a hypothetical question and you went straw man, so go insult someone else.

My point is it seems harmless to ask for them to set up the flight or at least forward the details for them to pay, especially if you don't know much about company.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
No, you made a dumb post and now you're moving the goalpost to a more reasonable position. Which is fine, since my intent was to highlight to people reading this thread how dumb your idea was, and not to insult you specifically.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Anyone ever have an interview where they didn't ask you about yourself at all and only talked about the position, then asked if you had any questions? I still snuck in relevant stories of my triumph in related situations, but it was such an odd interview process. It gave me the impression they already had a candidate selected and that the interviews were a formality.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I wouldn't ever say that to a company, though if they backed out of reimbursing, you bet your rear end I'd have some choice words for them.

Just got off the phone with the guy. They love me and think I'm a great cultural fit. I'm not getting the product manager job because I don't have Agile experience (which I said from the get go), and I'm not getting the manager job because I don't have management experience (well duh). They don't want me to leave, so they're trying to find a place for me. Now I'm up for another position, account management (not sales). If they make me come back and reinterview, I'm gonna lose my poo poo.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

jon joe posted:

Anyone ever have an interview where they didn't ask you about yourself at all and only talked about the position, then asked if you had any questions? I still snuck in relevant stories of my triumph in related situations, but it was such an odd interview process. It gave me the impression they already had a candidate selected and that the interviews were a formality.

I had one of these a few months back and it was super weird, but I got the job so it was good I guess. Very uncomfortable during the interview though when I felt like I should be talking instead of listening.

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

He was a veray parfit gentil knight.

jon joe posted:

I do this when I am interviewing if I like the candidate and already think they are well qualified. My goal is to sell my company to the candidate so they will not go elsewhere.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
So I used to work for a consultancy company and was an account executive. My biggest client and I had a really great relationship and I left about a year and a half ago for a new job. I contacted them last Thanksgiving to wish them well and we started to chat and they invited me for an interview which was last Friday.

They told me since I have left they have had 7 different account executives and they want to start bringing in more expertise in house and offered me a project management position. I would have to move from California to NYC which I am willing to do but they mentioned that 2-3 days out of the week I would have to be in their Jersey office and it is in a particular place that is very hard (1.5-1.75 hours of commute) to get to. Due to that I think I need to get a car because the commute would be only about 30-45 minutes max.

They asked me for my salary requirements and I told them what I thought was a fair number. They said they need to talk to the owner of the company but I think I am a shoe-in for this position.

I think I hosed up telling them a salary requirement when they asked because I did not really understand how much it would cost to own a car in New York City. We have a call scheduled tomorrow and I am wondering what is the best way to maybe ask if they could cover the car. I think that would be fair especially if I am only using the car for work? I am not sure what is really the best way to bring this up. I can live comfortably with the salary that I asked for (even in Manhattan) but a car seems like it would eat up a decent size of my salary (example: Parking garage in Manhattan is around $500 a month).

Either way I am just worried that this may make getting the job harder because I really want this position because instead of being a consultant, I can work directly for the brand and for the fashion industry its huge. I had a hard time getting jobs at brands before because I only had consultancy experience.

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 22, 2015

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

jon joe posted:

In general, I think phone screens are for grilling the candidate about their experience and resume. If someone's sitting in my office for an interview, it's because I've already determined that they're qualified. I want to see if they're a good fit for my team and the company. And, despite how unnerving it can be to be the interviewee, interviews are a two-way street.

I completely agree with Chaucer.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

Dik Hz posted:

In general, I think phone screens are for grilling the candidate about their experience and resume. If someone's sitting in my office for an interview, it's because I've already determined that they're qualified. I want to see if they're a good fit for my team and the company. And, despite how unnerving it can be to be the interviewee, interviews are a two-way street.

This is awesome to read. I had a very successful phone interview last week (I ended a question about the position start date with "... if I progress to the next stage" and the HR woman laughed and said "oh I can tell you right now, you will progress to an in-person interview for sure) and found out today I have an in-person interview tomorrow :neckbeard:

I'm pretty excited but it's daunting because I only got to this country 3 weeks ago. Heh. Still, I have good confidence in my people skills and I truly love working in a team environment. It's an admin role in a part of the healthcare system that's quite progressive so I really hope I get it. Still - you never know who else has applied, maybe someone who's in the team already and they have better knowledge of how they'll fit the role etc etc all that jazz :shobon:

I really want it though!

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Dik Hz posted:

In general, I think phone screens are for grilling the candidate about their experience and resume. If someone's sitting in my office for an interview, it's because I've already determined that they're qualified.

I'm curious about this. I feel like the majority of phone interviews I've had, and this could be field dependent, have been conducted by HR, and then the in-person visits are from the actual team I'd be working with. So they tend to have very different criteria.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Dik Hz posted:

It really depends. When I was managing a tech team, I always left it upon the team as a whole to determine the technical competence of a candidate, as well as whether they were a cultural fit. I was overruled a few times and happy with the outcome every single one of those times.

I'm awfully good at telling when someone is a bullshit artist, and I'm enough of a generalist to be able to make junior- to mid-level competency calls on my own, but I'm not going to be able to pick a solid mid-level Exchange admin from a world-class engineer. I kept my phone screens under five minutes, though I could pretty reliably predict the outcome in thirty seconds. Every candidate got the same technical questions. This alone kept 80% of applicants from even making it through the door.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 23, 2015

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Some companies' job application systems require that you upload your resume (as a .doc, .pdf, whatever), then also either fill in a description of each job, and/or tell you to cut and paste your resume into a field. Should I differentiate the job descriptions from those on my resume at all, or is it generally okay to just copy-paste?

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

He was a veray parfit gentil knight.

Enigma89 posted:

I think I hosed up telling them a salary requirement when they asked because I did not really understand how much it would cost to own a car in New York City. We have a call scheduled tomorrow and I am wondering what is the best way to maybe ask if they could cover the car. I think that would be fair especially if I am only using the car for work? I am not sure what is really the best way to bring this up. I can live comfortably with the salary that I asked for (even in Manhattan) but a car seems like it would eat up a decent size of my salary (example: Parking garage in Manhattan is around $500 a month).

Either way I am just worried that this may make getting the job harder because I really want this position because instead of being a consultant, I can work directly for the brand and for the fashion industry its huge. I had a hard time getting jobs at brands before because I only had consultancy experience.

Are you set on living in Manhattan? I wonder if they'd decline to offer a company car or pay for a garage and just suggest living in Hoboken.
On the other hand, fashion brands probably have a lot of NYC-based employees and maybe have solutions in place for the people that have to go to NJ too. I'd just say how you want to live in the city (which is understandable, especially when you are working in the Manhattan office too) and see what they suggest on commuting options. They have to convince you to move all the way from CA and a 1.5-hour commute isn't going to do it.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Some companies' job application systems require that you upload your resume (as a .doc, .pdf, whatever), then also either fill in a description of each job, and/or tell you to cut and paste your resume into a field. Should I differentiate the job descriptions from those on my resume at all, or is it generally okay to just copy-paste?

Yeah copy and paste is fine, but maybe format it to make sure it's readable. Sometimes bullet points do weird things.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

Xandu posted:

I'm curious about this. I feel like the majority of phone interviews I've had, and this could be field dependent, have been conducted by HR, and then the in-person visits are from the actual team I'd be working with. So they tend to have very different criteria.

This is the exact situation I'm in. The HR person screens candidates for basic competency then the in-person is with the manager of the site itself to see if I fit with the team environment. Gosh I hope I do! It's a super low paying job but one that I'd be happy doing, and since my husband is the main breadwinner it's kind of perfect. Plus I need a job so that in the future if I want to apply for others, I have an American company who'll vouch for me rather than just letters from Australian employers.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Questions:

I'm a teacher and I'm looking to move into more of a teacher-leader type position, not principal but someone who organizes systems at a school. I applied to a Dean of Students two weeks ago (basically the behavior intervention organizer) at a charter school that is in a network of 8 schools. I also RSVP'd to their meet 'n greet night at a restaurant that is tomorrow night. The day after I applied I got a video interview, and the day they got my video interview they scheduled me for a 7 hour on-site interview process where I'm interviewing with one of their mentor principals from another school, then the possible new principal of the school next year by phone, then a coffee Q&A with some staff, then observing teachers, then shadowing APs, then an interview with the current principal.

I'm at least hoping they wouldn't be doing all of that if there wasn't a chance they'll go "So you start in July" the next day. That's all going to be this coming Monday.

However, I'm still RSVP'd to this meet 'n greet, live apply, thing. Do I go? There's a chance I'm going to meet people I'm interviewing with on Monday and then do I just say, "Hi nice to meet you, I'll see you Monday?" Or do I not go now? The RSVP is probably just for numbers and I don't think I would be missed.

This leads to another etiquette question: there are two other jobs in this network that I would like, including one at the site of the mentor principal who will be first to interview me on Monday. If I go, do I even mention those other jobs in case they don't think I'm a good fit for that position/school on Monday? Or do I hold back on expressing interest until I know I don't have the one I currently have an interview for?

Thanks for any advice.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

So my partner/girlfriend (currently employed in a job she doesn't like) and I (currently unemployed) both applied to the same job that she had said is her dream job. We both made it to the final round of interviews and I ended up getting the job. After agonizing whether to take it or not for a few days, I decided to accept on Monday. I am now having second thoughts and don't want this job to come between our relationship, which it seems it would. I am supposed to go in on Tuesday to do paperwork and start the week after, but I am thinking about rescinding my acceptance. Has anyone ever done this before, and if so, any advice? I don't really want to mention my relationship, as it was never mentioned in the interviewing process (though they must know we know each other somehow due to similarities in our resumes) and I would really really like to have the best shot she can to get this. I really hosed up here and am looking to right this situation.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
1. If you rescind, is it for sure that she'll get it?
2. If you rescind and she gets it, will she ever feel like she truly earned it?

Personally, as much as I would be bummed if I was your gf, I would try to be happy for you. Also it's a little alarming that you got to the final stages and didn't have a talk about what would happen in this situation, or that one of you didn't drop out. Have you talked to her about what she wants to happen / what she wants you to do?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

This is very E/N. Does she know you applied/got an offer? If not, and you don't particularly care about the job, then it may be it's best to withdraw, even if she doesn't end up getting it. If she does know you got the offer, then I think withdrawing will backfire.

On the other hand, you're the one who is unemployed and actually needs a job, so...

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Sharks Below posted:

1. If you rescind, is it for sure that she'll get it?
2. If you rescind and she gets it, will she ever feel like she truly earned it?

Personally, as much as I would be bummed if I was your gf, I would try to be happy for you. Also it's a little alarming that you got to the final stages and didn't have a talk about what would happen in this situation, or that one of you didn't drop out. Have you talked to her about what she wants to happen / what she wants you to do?

1. No, but highly likely.
2. Maybe, maybe not, but it's exactly what she's looking for.

We did talk about it, but I don't think either of us quite anticipated feeling the way we do about it. We have talked about it this whole time, and she's just trying to be supportive, though it's very clear she's very upset. She's trying not to say I should do one thing or the other.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Xandu posted:

This is very E/N. Does she know you applied/got an offer? If not, and you don't particularly care about the job, then it may be it's best to withdraw, even if she doesn't end up getting it. If she does know you got the offer, then I think withdrawing will backfire.

On the other hand, you're the one who is unemployed and actually needs a job, so...

Yes, this is very E/N, so apologies for bringing it here but I thought this thread was both applicable and has fairly high traffic.

My passion for the job is maybe a 5 to 6 out of 10, while she's at 9.5 to 10. We're both qualified and competent at it, but it's a very niche job with very few like it in the city we live in.

I can find other work I think, even though I have been between jobs for a bit longer than I'd have liked (a bit over 2 months).

I just see this creating barriers and being a constant stressor and cause of anxiety. lovely we ended up here, and I'll own up to being an idiot about it, but here we are.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Chaucer posted:

Are you set on living in Manhattan? I wonder if they'd decline to offer a company car or pay for a garage and just suggest living in Hoboken.
On the other hand, fashion brands probably have a lot of NYC-based employees and maybe have solutions in place for the people that have to go to NJ too. I'd just say how you want to live in the city (which is understandable, especially when you are working in the Manhattan office too) and see what they suggest on commuting options. They have to convince you to move all the way from CA and a 1.5-hour commute isn't going to do it.

Yes it has to be Manhattan. I would of been okay with Brooklyn but it makes the commute much longer. I just didn't know the best way to bring up the idea of getting comped for a car but I guess I will just have to be direct.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Welp, just had the follow up call. They agreed with my salary requirement and said they have no problem with it but they said they do not offer company cars. :negative:

They suggested I just take the NJ transit as some of their employees do. The actual train is 1 hour from NY to NJ but the problem is that it will take ~30 minutes or so from getting from my apartment to getting onto the initial train toward Jersey.

I am wondering if it is kosher to ask them to cover my parking in NY after they make the offer? OR maybe if it would be better to simply tough it out for 2-3 months there, prove my worth and then start asking for some parking perks?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Enigma89 posted:

Welp, just had the follow up call. They agreed with my salary requirement and said they have no problem with it but they said they do not offer company cars. :negative:

They suggested I just take the NJ transit as some of their employees do. The actual train is 1 hour from NY to NJ but the problem is that it will take ~30 minutes or so from getting from my apartment to getting onto the initial train toward Jersey.

I am wondering if it is kosher to ask them to cover my parking in NY after they make the offer? OR maybe if it would be better to simply tough it out for 2-3 months there, prove my worth and then start asking for some parking perks?

Wait for them to make an offer and then you can see if you need additional compensation for parking or living. Don't try to negotiate that now.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I've actually been tagged to take part in interviewing a potential hire for our department later on this afternoon. Any quick advice? Any good questions to really get at the heart of the matter? Her credentials are shaky at best but it's for a mindless clerical job and she's the wife of someone in a different department, so she's probably going to get the job. This is however the first interview that I've been part of giving so I'd like to learn something from it and impress my boss at the same time.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Enigma89 posted:

This is from the outside looking in. They asked you to name your price and you did. But evidently you didn't think of the cost of transport when you did, otherwise you would have answered with a higher number. Maybe they told you about the New Jersey thing after you told them your salary requirements? Either way, I think you should consider whether you actually want to work for this company. Maybe this is a deal breaker? Quite frankly, since they agreed to meet your salary requirements, they may decide that the money facet of the negotiation is over and you trying to get monetary concessions from them for transport is negotiating in bad faith.

Anyway, this is a good lesson in negotiating a compensation package rather than just a salary and why the negotiating thread advises most people not to be the first to 'name a number.'

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

MickeyFinn posted:

Quite frankly, since they agreed to meet your salary requirements, they may decide that the money facet of the negotiation is over and you trying to get monetary concessions from them for transport is negotiating in bad faith.

Anyway, this is a good lesson in negotiating a compensation package rather than just a salary and why the negotiating thread advises most people not to be the first to 'name a number.'

Yeah I pretty much agree with this so I feel like I am sort of in a bind. I am wondering if it best just to try to suck it up and deal with the awful commute for 3 months and then try to re-approach them about getting a slight bump to help compensation for transportation.

Either way it is completely my fault so I will just have to deal with it but in the end making this move is a good move. They are a giant brand and in their niche they are the #1 company and it is fashion so it all makes sense for me to work for these guys. I just wish they wanted me more in the Manhattan office vs the Jersey office because most of my work is project management and I won't really need to physically even be in Jersey. Either way it's only a few days out of the week so the Manhattan days will be a very easy commute.

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 23, 2015

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Make your Manhattan days Thursday/Friday to ease you into the weekend.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Chaotic Flame posted:

Make your Manhattan days Thursday/Friday to ease you into the weekend.

That's the plan :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Enigma89 posted:

Do ask if they offer transit reimbursement accounts, because you can at least make $130 of those parking expenses come out of your pre-tax income. It's not much, but it's something.