Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Indolent Bastard posted:

No, that finally lets me know what the hell I'm getting into and I kind of like it. The Stepford Terminators are creepy-cool. I might actually watch it now.

That was the scene I saw at New York Comic-Con. The trailer covers most of the beats but there are still one or two surprises left.

Movie's gonna rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I really can't put my finger on why I'm less and less excited about World the more trailers I see. Maybe something to do with how there doesn't seem to be any sense of wonder to it. I gave a poo poo about every character in JP1, including the kids by the time the kitchen scene ended. Who the hell can get excited by cookie-cooker military squads that exist to get eaten? Who decided to take Chris Pratt and give him a roll which looks utterly humourless? So far there's him and the scientist lady who looks to be in the running along with the one from Deep Blue Sea for Most Likely To Be Hated By Audience. One of the best scenes in JP1 is when Alan is just totally awestruck and shocked and overjoyed by seeing a live dinosaur and then there's the pan over the field as the main theme swells, and every movie since has gotten further from that.

Someone smarter than me put all this into better words.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Pierson posted:

I really can't put my finger on why I'm less and less excited about World the more trailers I see. Maybe something to do with how there doesn't seem to be any sense of wonder to it. I gave a poo poo about every character in JP1, including the kids by the time the kitchen scene ended. Who the hell can get excited by cookie-cooker military squads that exist to get eaten? Who decided to take Chris Pratt and give him a roll which looks utterly humourless? So far there's him and the scientist lady who looks to be in the running along with the one from Deep Blue Sea for Most Likely To Be Hated By Audience. One of the best scenes in JP1 is when Alan is just totally awestruck and shocked and overjoyed by seeing a live dinosaur and then there's the pan over the field as the main theme swells, and every movie since has gotten further from that.

Someone smarter than me put all this into better words.

JP was exciting because the premise was new. JW is not as exciting because we've already had 3 JP movies. And countless other movies with similar special effects. You can never get that awesome "Alan (and the audience) see a dino for the first time" scene again because its already happened.

I really wish JW was just a movie about other things, set in a dinosaur park. Like Adventureland, but with dinosaurs!

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
The last bit of dialogue in that trailer is Pratt's comeback to "we're talking about an animal here!" In a space usually reserved for "oh poo poo" moments, he replies "...a highly intelligent animal." That's pretty drat :effort: and charmless, and it's only made worse by the following final shots just being a ton of generic dinosaurs loving poo poo up without any relation to what he just said.

I decided to look up JP1's first trailer, and the equivalent moment there is "Yes...unless they figure out how to open doors," followed by a shot of the raptor opening the door. It's the exact same thing in a more showy (less telly) and suspenseful way.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Also the bad dino is 1998's Godzilla.

Which really kills it for me, I mean, the coolest thing about dinosaurs is they were real. Having a JP movie center on a completely fake one isn't as interesting.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Byzantine posted:

Also the bad dino is 1998's Godzilla.

Which really kills it for me, I mean, the coolest thing about dinosaurs is they were real. Having a JP movie center on a completely fake one isn't as interesting.

But it's bigger than the T-Rex! You remember the T-Rex right? It was the centerpiece of the first film. Well this one is bigger, and bigger equals better! What is it about this that you don't understand?

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

T-Rex has puny arms, bro doesn't even lift, and creating some croco-shark-agator monster mash to duel with it makes it complete sense. This is a sequel to the arcade game Rampage, not some movie that's supposed to be good.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

computer parts posted:

It looks like bioshock but set in Disneyland.

Also Andrew Ryan is a super awesome hero guy and not a weird objectivist piece of poo poo

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Indolent Bastard posted:

But it's bigger than the T-Rex! You remember the T-Rex right? It was the centerpiece of the first film. Well this one is bigger, and bigger equals better! What is it about this that you don't understand?
Which is why the movie is going to end with the Original T-Rex killing it proving once that nothing beats the original

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Indolent Bastard posted:

It seems like its actually you who doesn't understand what the purpose of the I-Rex is in the film.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

mr.capps posted:

It seems like its actually you who doesn't understand what the purpose of the I-Rex is in the film.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

Which is why the movie is going to end with the Original T-Rex killing it proving once that nothing beats the original

I hope this happens, but the filmmakers would have to realise what it says about their film, so uh

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Oh you were joking, this changes everything. Wow.

no wait it doesn't and of course i knew you were joking. sigh

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Syncopated posted:

I hope this happens, but the filmmakers would have to realise what it says about their film, so uh
Still better than watching my childhood die again like it did with JP3 and seeing that drat Spinosaurus kill the T-Rex which was also apparently the baby T-Rex from the Lost World.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

BlueBayou posted:

JP was exciting because the premise was new. JW is not as exciting because we've already had 3 JP movies. And countless other movies with similar special effects. You can never get that awesome "Alan (and the audience) see a dino for the first time" scene again because its already happened.

I really wish JW was just a movie about other things, set in a dinosaur park. Like Adventureland, but with dinosaurs!

Nah, a sense of awe can be created so long as you have a proper command of cinematic technique. The issue becomes whether or not the filmmakers are good enough.

Colin Trevorrow went from an indie romantic comedy to this gigantic thing - probably so he wouldn't have to work again if he doesn't want to, and/or because he likes JP so much - so he either might not have that skill inherently, or just as likely he may not have developed a sense of how to put things together to create a sense of awe the way Spielberg can, who was born with that skill, developed it through his teen years, was nurtured by older filmmakers, and finally got unleashed onto the world at the exact time he needed to.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

The Cameo posted:

Nah, a sense of awe can be created so long as you have a proper command of cinematic technique. The issue becomes whether or not the filmmakers are good enough.

In principle I agree, but it's got to be nearly impossible to top the Brachiosaurus reveal for "awe inspiring reveal of animal." It's perfectly done, from the performances to the camera work to the music to the effects (visual and audio - the call it makes is haunting too). And then of course it's an animal nobody had ever seen depicted realistically before (but were generally familiar with). And the animal itself is perfect for the moment - vast, graceful, non threatening. It blew everyone's mind. I've seen it a million times, and every time I get chills and even tear up a little.

I'll be happy if JW can get close to the greatness of the T-Rex reveal as it steps in to the road in JP - a much lesser scene, but still masterful.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

mr.capps posted:

Oh you were joking, this changes everything. Wow.

no wait it doesn't and of course i knew you were joking. sigh

No you were supposed to post that gif now. Dammit, stick to the script! Now we will have to start all over again!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Indolent Bastard posted:

No you were supposed to post that gif now. Dammit, stick to the script! Now we will have to start all over again!

I don't like the script, drat it!

We improvise like a crappy modern comedy.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

The Cameo posted:

SEE: The Star Wars trailer and that bitching shot of the Star Destroyer in the desert. It's something we've all seen before, but in a new context, with well-shot, awe-inspiring reveal.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Did people really grow some emotional attachment to the T-Rex in JP1? What the heck.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

If I go to see a Jaws sequel I don't want a bunch of barracudas and a killer whale. For many the T-Rex was the scariest thing in their childhood. Even though the raptors are a scarier concept.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Can we get a Star Wars episode VII thread please?

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

gohmak posted:

Can we get a Star Wars episode VII thread please?

The star wars thread is basically exactly that at this point so a new thread would be superfluous.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

The star wars thread is basically exactly that at this point so a new thread would be superfluous.

Its closed right now since it devolved into a big mess.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Vintersorg posted:

What topic finally brought down the thread?

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

Oh okay, I don't follow it so I didn't know.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'd put money on SMG being one of the major culprits.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Prequel talk again - even with the new movie stuff coming out (granted there is only so much you can discuss for something thats not even out and has barely any information out there still).

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
There was also a quick teaser for the Rogue 1 movie.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I'd love if there were a thread only for discussion of upcoming Star Wars stuff, but of course this forum would ruin it within a page.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Spatula City posted:

I'd love if there were a thread only for discussion of upcoming Star Wars stuff, but of course this forum would ruin it within a page.

Yes this entire forum of 118 users currently browsing is to blame, all right. Very insightful stuff.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

More of the same SMG / Prequels are good / People hating SMG / People sucking SMG's dick crap that has been in there since George Lucas sold the rights to Disney. The difference is there is a whole host of new ears to listen to him. To be fair, I'm not blaming SMG, just the circular arguments that revolve around him like Saturn's rings.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It's really weird how angry people react to a guy giving his opinion that the prequels are good. Like, there'S not agreeing, and then there's the reaction in the Star Wars thread.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's the arrogance, condescension, and accusations that people react to, not his opinion that the prequels are good.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

feedmyleg posted:

It's the arrogance, condescension, and accusations that people react to, not his opinion that the prequels are good.

While SMG has a tendency to sound condescending when explaining his opinions, that doesn't justify the reaction he gets. I mean, spend any amount of time on D&D and you'll see what condescensiona nd arrogance on SA really looks like. SMG, at worst, comes out like a hipster explaining things you are already as if you didn't.

It's like a self-perpetuating internet hate machine. It's super weird.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
How about we stop turning this thread into exactly that.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

GonSmithe posted:

How about we stop turning this thread into exactly that.

Nearly all of cinema discusso is that though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

PriorMarcus posted:

Nearly all of cinema discusso is that though.

Whining about the way other people post? It's a time honored tradition.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
I cannot play with you.

The Little Prince

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEPqgSNLfK8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Alehkhs posted: