Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Shayu posted:

I think it's possible for someone to starve to death, that's true. Not sure where people deserving to starve to death came from, though.

If you're really interested in my charitable activity I tend to consider the AIDS research alliance more worthy of my money or really anything concerning that horrible disease.

You were mulling over how to tell the people who deserve assistance from those who don't. Who do you think don't deserve assistance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.

Caros posted:

In 2010 SNAP benefits were roughly eighty billion dollars. By contrast total chairity in the same year was $280 Billion. As you can see from above, if you add together Human Services, Public-Society Benefit and Health you'd still end up with less than one single government program provides in a single year. Forget the trillion plus dollars on social security. Forget the trillion plus dollars on Medicare and Medicaid, or all of the other money spend on things like heating assistance etc.

Charitable giving can't match SNAP for social spending. I want you to think on that.

Now I'm just going to leave you with this wikipedia quote:

Just look at this you heartless fucker. Educate yourself. You are literally arguing that families that have an average net income of $336 a month don't need help. You are arguing to take food out of the mouths of starving children due to your own ignorence.

quote:

Sometimes the law defends plunder and participates in it. Thus the beneficiaries are spared the shame, danger, and scruple which their acts would otherwise involve. Sometimes the law places the whole apparatus of judges, police, prisons, and gendarmes at the service of the plunderers, and treats the victim — when he defends himself — as a criminal. In short, there is a legal plunder, and it is of this, no doubt, that Mr. de Montalembert speaks.

This legal plunder may be only an isolated stain among the legislative measures of the people. If so, it is best to wipe it out with a minimum of speeches and denunciations — and in spite of the uproar of the vested interests.

But how is this legal plunder to be identified? Quite simply. See if the law takes from some persons what belongs to them, and gives it to other persons to whom it does not belong. See if the law benefits one citizen at the expense of another by doing what the citizen himself cannot do without committing a crime.

I'm not arguing either way that they either need or don't need help but that help should be given and not taken.

Nolanar posted:

You were mulling over how to tell the people who deserve assistance from those who don't. Who do you think don't deserve assistance?

I have a finite amount of money to give so I have to select what I wish to give toward, if I could give to everyone I would. Sorry but sometimes decisions like that have to be made.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Shayu posted:

I have a finite amount of money to give so I have to select what I wish to give toward, if I could give to everyone I would. Sorry but sometimes decisions like that have to be made.

I'm not asking about your personal charitable giving habits. I'm asking about government assistance. Who do you think doesn't deserve assistance?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Shayu posted:

I'm not arguing either way that they either need or don't need help but that help should be given and not taken.

I agree. However, humans are selfish, and won't give enough to make sure that people don't starve to death or die on the streets. This is empirical fact.

Which do you think is morally worse: take some money from people who don't need all of it and won't willingly donate a significant amount, or let people starve and die on the streets?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Shayu posted:

Oh great, we've gotten to the "taxation is theft" part of the full course idiocy meal.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Thread Libertarians Maintain Shocking Silence in Watermelon Inquiry

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Shayu posted:

We don't have the luxury of a choice between the help being "given or taken." Charitable giving can't cover everyone, as you admitted in your own post. So we have to make a different choice: do we provide assistance for people via taxation and government programs (the "taking" you'd prefer to avoid), or do those people not get helped? Which do you prefer?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I listen to a lot of Coast to Coast.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Shayu posted:

If wishes were horses all beggars would ride.

I agree, given the choice I'd prefer we live in a world where everyone voluntarily agrees to provide food for people who would otherwise literally starve to death, but history has shown us that bar legislation this will not happen.

So barring utopia we are left with two choices, either we tax people and provide a basic minimum floor below which people cannot fall, or we let children starve to death. This is not a hard decision for me.

This is of course leaving aside the very real argument that society is in fact agreeing on the whole that we need to provide these programs and doing it via their government.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Hey Shayu, I'm giving you a pass for being a 20-year-old student who has never had to deal with the real world yet saying "sometimes tough decisions have to be made and children have to starve to avoid the greater evil of Mitt Romney not being able to fit his yacht inside another yacht" because you have no direct experience with anything you're talking about nor any idea of how horrible the policies you're advocating have played out in history.

But now people are posting actual evidence contradicting your gut feels and you're just saying "Oh I'm not ignoring them, I'm just going to keep believing the same regardless" and it makes me think you're either trolling this thread with vague unfalsifiable bullshit like asdf, or you're aggressively ignorant and proud of it, which is something you should work on.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Shayu posted:

We have more food and housing than our population can consume, yet we have hungry and homeless people. All we need to do is establish access.

Also have you ever heard of economies of scale, or have you not gotten that far in life yet?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I guess there's an economic argument to be made that it's more expensive to buy, train, and house slaves than it is to pay workers less than subsistence wages, as many conservatives would like. It's a dumb argument but that's kinda asdf32's specialty

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

QuarkJets posted:

I guess there's an economic argument to be made that it's more expensive to buy, train, and house slaves than it is to pay workers less than subsistence wages, as many conservatives would like. It's a dumb argument but that's kinda asdf32's specialty

It's just not true though. A lot of people on the left as well as the right wanted the history to say that free labour was better than slave labour, but the truth is slaves were enormously efficient economic assets. And why wouldn't they be? It's precisely the horror of modern proto-industrial slavery that it is the conversion of people in to pure economic engines at the expense of anything else.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Disinterested posted:

It's just not true though. A lot of people on the left as well as the right wanted the history to say that free labour was better than slave labour, but the truth is slaves were enormously efficient economic assets. And why wouldn't they be? It's precisely the horror of modern proto-industrial slavery that it is the conversion of people in to pure economic engines at the expense of anything else.

Just look at Prison Labour

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

I don't doubt that free labour is better than slave labour in some disciplines, but when it comes to picking cotton slaves are just better at it. The slaves themselves innovated new ways to do it better than white smallholders ever could; it wasn't just the cracking of whips and poo poo.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Disinterested posted:

I don't doubt that free labour is better than slave labour in some disciplines, but when it comes to picking cotton slaves are just better at it. The slaves themselves innovated new ways to do it better than white smallholders ever could; it wasn't just the cracking of whips and poo poo.

That and they had no choice on crop diversification, which white smallholders (and freedmen immediately after the war, for that matter) tended to favor rather than just growing cash crops.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah the "practical" antislavery argument that free labor is superior backfired in some unfortunate ways. It gives confederate apologists the talking point that slavery was on its way out in some economic determinism so the war was just evil Yankee slaughter, and it encouraged people not to give a poo poo when the Freedmen were imprisoned in an economic system created by those same slaveholders under conditions little better than slavery because hey the workers are free now, any problems will solve themselves.

Slavery and colonialism are quite simply profitable as gently caress for the people doing it, and they only end when the rest of the people organize and stop them by force.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Slavery and colonialism are quite simply profitable as gently caress for the people doing it, and they only end when the rest of the people organize and stop them by force.

It can be ended to some degree by peaceful political agitation, as in Britain, though Britain still had to become an overseas enforcer of the prohibition which people were continuously trying to break.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Sure sure, I was including government action like voting to ban it as force.

And of course in England the question of whether parliament or the king is the sovereign was quite literally decided at gunpoint, and that's the only reason anyone in power had to give a poo poo about popular support.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

And of course in England the question of whether parliament or the king is the sovereign was quite literally decided at gunpoint, and that's the only reason anyone in power had to give a poo poo about popular support.

It's both together :ssh:

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Disinterested posted:

I absolutely agree with most of this. From a landowner/employer's perspective there is literally nothing better than paying people just enough to survive. It's just that this is only realistic in very low skill activities and these only apply in certain instances. Plantations being one of them. The economic-moral component is therefore important in understanding the timing of the deliberate eradication of slavery.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Plantations also had a lot of light industry and several test efforts were made to implement slavery in the factory with encouraging results. The idea that slavery only worked for picking cotton and tobacco is a base oversimplification.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

asdf32 posted:

I absolutely agree with most of this. From a landowner/employer's perspective there is literally nothing better than paying people just enough to survive.

Why do you find a way to be idiotic even when you're trying to be conciliatory? Generally slaves were not paid, at least not for their typical work. And often, though not close to universally, they were sustained at a better than subsistence level to allow for increased productivity. Working people to death is a lot less profitable than stacking them up with cheap calories to work even longer hours.

asdf32 posted:

The economic-moral component is therefore important in understanding the timing of the deliberate eradication of slavery.

Put forward an actual comprehensive thesis of what you believe the causes for abolition were or be quiet.

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 23, 2015

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Effectronica posted:

Plantations also had a lot of light industry and several test efforts were made to implement slavery in the factory with encouraging results. The idea that slavery only worked for picking cotton and tobacco is a base oversimplification.

Yeah, the lack of developing slave industry in the south other than as adjunct to plantation agriculture owes a lot more to Southern anti-modernism and romanticism than it does to chattel slavery being somehow only useful in the fields. Hell, even some Southerners acknowledged this, particularly as it gave them another avenue to complain about the free states.

The Charleston Mercury, 28 February 1860 posted:

When the gold mines of California were discovered, slaveholders of the South saw that, with their command of labor, it would be easy at a moderate outlay to make fortunes digging gold. The inducements to go there were great, and there were no lack of inclination on their part. But, to make the emigration profitable, it was necessary that the property* of Southern settlers should be safe, otherwise it was plainly a hazardous enterprise, neither wise nor feasible. Few were reckless enough to stake property, the accumulation of years, in a struggle with active prejudices amongst a mixed population, where for them the law was a dead letter through the hostile indifference of the General Government, whose duty it was, by the fundamental law of its existence, to afford adequate protection-executive, legislative and judicial-to the property of every man, of whatever sort, without discrimination. Had the people of the Southern States been satisfied they would have received fair play and equal protection at the hands of the Government, they would have gone to California with their slaves...California would probably now have been a Slave State in the Union.

*property here being code for slaves, though since the author uses the term outright later on one wonders why he bothered.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

"It's those abolitionists who are prejudiced against our laws and traditions and discriminating against us for who we are"

Ahahaha, the rhetoric of "you're the real bigots" hasn't changed in two hundred years, wait poo poo :smithicide:

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Disinterested posted:

Why do you find a way to be idiotic even when you're trying to be conciliatory? Generally slaves were not paid, at least not for their typical work. And often, though not close to universally, they were sustained at a better than subsistence level to allow for increased productivity. Working people to death is a lot less profitable than stacking them up with cheap calories to work even longer hours.

Put forward an actual comprehensive thesis of what you believe the causes for abolition were or be quiet.

I already did. You didn't.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

asdf32 posted:

I already did. You didn't.

No, you just vaguely alluded to a mesh of social and economic causes without ever being direct or particular. Be specific.

What were the primary causes of abolition? Name them, explain in a few sentences why you believe them to be relevant.

If I say 'what caused the end of slavery' and you say 'hmmm well social and economic factors changed' that is a failing answer at all but the preschool level pretty much.

For example: was a decline in profitability responsible for the end of slavery? You have previously argued yes but backtracked. If not, then what?

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 23, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

This should be interesting. His whole schtick is just posting vague useless truisms and then acting as if they proved the worth of the highly specific policy positions he is simultaneously advocating and nothing more needs to be said nor conflicting evidence addressed.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I think "because Abraham Lincoln won the Civil War" is pre-school but it seems to be what you're looking for.

No you idiot, I argued that profitability was an important factor relating to slavery in general.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

asdf32 posted:

No you idiot, I argued that profitability was an important factor relating to slavery in general.

And how does that relationship function?

Come on now, if you have a firm grip how hard can it be to spell it out?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

VitalSigns posted:

This should be interesting. His whole schtick is just posting vague useless truisms and then acting as if they proved the worth of the highly specific policy positions he is simultaneously advocating and nothing more needs to be said nor conflicting evidence addressed.

lol you expect a simple question will be enough to force him to be specific.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

lol you expect a simple question will be enough to force him to be specific.

Yeah I have zero hope here but whatever it's worth a try.

I have graduate qualifications in this poo poo so when I listen to him talk about it I just have flashes of what it would be like for asdf to spout his nonsense in a meeting with my old supervisor, it's making me reflexively testy.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Disinterested posted:

And how does that relationship function?

Come on now, if you have a firm grip how hard can it be to spell it out?

Because it explains to a significant extent where slavery spread and why. As already said.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

asdf32 posted:

Because it explains to a significant extent where slavery spread and why. As already said.

So why did you say that a decline in economic benefit was related to abolition?

If profitability only explains the rise and spread of slavery, what explains the end?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Captain_Maclaine posted:

quote:

The Charleston Mercury, 28 February 1860 posted:
When the gold mines of California were discovered, slaveholders of the South saw that, with their command of labor, it would be easy at a moderate outlay to make fortunes digging gold. The inducements to go there were great, and there were no lack of inclination on their part. But, to make the emigration profitable, it was necessary that the property* of Southern settlers should be safe, otherwise it was plainly a hazardous enterprise, neither wise nor feasible. Few were reckless enough to stake property, the accumulation of years, in a struggle with active prejudices amongst a mixed population, where for them the law was a dead letter through the hostile indifference of the General Government, whose duty it was, by the fundamental law of its existence, to afford adequate protection-executive, legislative and judicial-to the property of every man, of whatever sort, without discrimination. Had the people of the Southern States been satisfied they would have received fair play and equal protection at the hands of the Government, they would have gone to California with their slaves...California would probably now have been a Slave State in the Union.

I love this because it's just the thing for throwing in Chik-Fil-A bigots' faces when they complain about being discriminated against. They're exactly like slave owners who complained about anti-slavery views being "prejudice."

Yes, how dispiriting it must have been to those entrepreneurs to consider that they might have encountered prejudice, just because they might have rolled into dusty Frisco driving fifty chained blacks before them with a whip, to toil in mines until they died.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

When talking about social progress, the economic ability to support it is one of the least interesting aspects.

Times when there are literally not enough resources to feed the population are rare and are typically caused by total ecological disaster or warfare. The means to feed and clothe and house the entire population has been present for centuries, and it's only politics that prevent it from happening.

Take any recent famine in the developed world. In every year of the Irish Famine or the US Great Depression, each country produced more than enough food to support absolutely everyone, had their respective governments taken the well-known measures required to ensure that happens. Instead, food was exported from Ireland every year, trundled to the ports on armed wagons to keep the starving peasants away. In the United States, livestock was slaughtered en masse, and produce dumped into rivers or otherwise destroyed while millions starved.

In order to find an example of starvation in the developed world that could not be ameliorated by a country's own government, you have to go to examples of literal siege and blockade or large-scale confiscation by a foreign army like the 700-day Siege of Stalingrad or the 1944 Dutch Hongerwinter.

The whole "oh well workers' rights and universal education and a guarantee of basic subsistence were all the doing of the market, but Union Leaders and politicians swooped in when it was a fait accompli to pass a few meaningless laws and take the credit" is the kind of historically ignorant bullshit that rattles around the Heritage Foundation and the Von Mises institute.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 23, 2015

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Slavery was pretty profitable for the Slave Power.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

VitalSigns posted:

"It's those abolitionists who are prejudiced against our laws and traditions and discriminating against us for who we are"

Ahahaha, the rhetoric of "you're the real bigots" hasn't changed in two hundred years, wait poo poo :smithicide:

SedanChair posted:

I love this because it's just the thing for throwing in Chik-Fil-A bigots' faces when they complain about being discriminated against. They're exactly like slave owners who complained about anti-slavery views being "prejudice."

Yes, how dispiriting it must have been to those entrepreneurs to consider that they might have encountered prejudice, just because they might have rolled into dusty Frisco driving fifty chained blacks before them with a whip, to toil in mines until they died.

:qq: Why won't you Northerners play fair and compete on level ground with literal slaves on the labor market in the territories? Oh, if only we had a truly fair government which could enforce such equal treatment! :qq:

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 23, 2015

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Disinterested posted:

So why did you say that a decline in economic benefit was related to abolition?

If profitability only explains the rise and spread of slavery, what explains the end?

Primarily the first thing I listed when talking about the end of slavery. Shifting economic realities causing a new moral outlook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

asdf32 posted:

Primarily the first thing I listed when talking about the end of slavery. Shifting economic realities causing a new moral outlook.

You are intent on just making all of life into a single image of a sage white man in fancy dress contemplating a stack of coins, aren't you?