Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Reive posted:

IIRC changing the sampling rate to 22,050 Hz fixes the audio in SoF1.
...huh. Weird. Thanks!

SavageMessiah posted:

Also there were buttons you could press to twirl the thing around like a retard!
Yes, there were buttons dedicated to twiddling with your gun like you're easily amused.

EDIT: Oh yeah, there was a big Quake Live update today. Four new maps, alternate announcers (including the original Q3A one), and the weird spawn loadout system was changed up a bit:

The Kins fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Apr 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reive
May 21, 2009

Update on that SoF1 audio issue, 48kHz doesn't work, 44 works but has clicking/noise, 22 and 11 are the only ones that work correctly, so go with 22 for quality.

Also, someone please tell me there's a wad that uses these reload animations:

Reive fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Apr 22, 2015

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Romero released a bunch of stuff on Doomworld:
DoomEd sources
Map sources (including old versions) and misc. utility
Texture sources (including textures that never made their way into the games)

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Holy crap, DoomEd source. Thought we'll never see this.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
He's also putting a ton of stuff up on eBay. Follow his Twitter or Facebook if you're curious about buying anything.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/271845952864 Objective-C book he used to help created DoomEd.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/271842999299 Wolf3D team t-shirt

http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/271842870435 Daikatana headband.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
There's a LOT of cool stuff in here. Someone remembered a way to compile the map sources in DOS, and I went delving into them. I've been posting what I find here on the Zdoom forums, but for the sake of Stuff To Play Right Now, here's a snapshot of Doom 2's maps from a few months before release (2pm July 29 1994, to be exact). The "raw" wad is just as IDBSP left it, the "cleansed" wad has some minor fixes fixes and Doom 1 textures that are needed to view them properly.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I want that stupid Daikatana swag.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Reive posted:

Update on that SoF1 audio issue, 48kHz doesn't work, 44 works but has clicking/noise, 22 and 11 are the only ones that work correctly, so go with 22 for quality.

Those are amazing :allears:

Reminds me of these ridiculous animations from Battlefield Hardline https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8alGVt_jLE

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Reive posted:

I'm not sure of any mod that uses Sgt. Shivers' reload animations, although I have to imagine somebody out there would be fascinated by them enough to toss 'em in.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Golden Souls 2 uses one for the SSG, but that's the only one that comes to mind.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Just as a heads-up, there are a TON of unused textures in the textures archive. I'm talking about things like the source for the HUD used in the 0.2 alpha and other stuff related to it, WIP textures, menu font textures, and signs like the ones found in the 0.4 alpha.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

closeted republican posted:

Just as a heads-up, there are a TON of unused textures in the textures archive. I'm talking about things like the source for the HUD used in the 0.2 alpha and other stuff related to it, WIP textures, menu font textures, and signs like the ones found in the 0.4 alpha.

How do you view that stuff for the uninitiated like me?

edit: Awesome, thanks
VVVV

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 22, 2015

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mogomra posted:

How do you view that stuff for the uninitiated like me?
Irfanview. Oooor someone nice on Zdoom converted it all to PNG

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Romero is a cool dude

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Say hello to the item sprites, circa 2/4/1993.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 22, 2015

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

oh god this is so awesome
I'm just posting the absolutely most eyecatching stuff

that pile of corpses is nasty as poo poo

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Say hello to the item sprites, circa 2/4/1993.

Oh my god, its Runescape.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
More cool stuff:

0.4 alpha HUD material not seen in the 0.4 alpha:

Dated 9/13/1993:

WIP wall texture with Icon of Sin on it:

Stimpack with Berserk coloring:

Skeleton dude on sheet dated late March 1993:

Transparent wall texture for E2 and E3, dated October 1993:

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

There's also a pickup sprite for the pistol!

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

They really needed to put "a pistol" in the icon for the pistol?

Kinda wonder what the Duracell battery there was used for, too. (Prototype cells? Prototype shells?)
Gotta love the recolored Wolf3D barrel.
"UH-OH" as a font character? Wonder what the plan for that one was.

Stimpack with Berserk coloring:

For when you only want a tiny Berserk rampage.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

nekoxid posted:

Oh cool! There was a Pistol sprite in one of the Doom 1 or 2 manuals.

More stuff:

High-res chair from the 0.4 alpha:

Unused "E1" door:

Grass texture, dated August 1994:

Original versions of some of the Hell textures:

Arch-vile scan, dated Feb 1994. The file is named "manmon" (maybe an early name for him?):

Unused Hell rock prop:

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

nekoxid posted:

Ironically, the pistol sprite used in the manual is much worse.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
If any of you bought one of these, I will pay double what you paid for it.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

So today I decided to have another crack at KISS PSYCHO CIRCUS, a game i hated last time i tried to play it for this thread. I booted up the game, loaded a save and BOOM it's action time.

I was taken to a horrifying world, where books were giant and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM WAS KISS THEMED!

Based on the summary I got when I died and respawned at the start of a level, I 'need to find the library where the gypsy told me the something something would be'. I put that in italics because thats how the guy I'm playing as talks. You can tell this game is old because I think it's racist now to call people a gypsy. I'm looking forward to the level where I get to play as Gene Simmons and he talks about needing to 'find the place that human being told me the cocaine stash would be'. If that's not in the game then this game really doesn't do justice to the reality of kiss.

So before I was gonna get trucking in the land of kiss books I needed to remember what the weapons were. First up, the blue cone:

This mean mama-jama shoots out blue poo poo in a kind of minigun fashion. It might be ice or water themed, but I don't know because I shot all my ammo for it at the wall trying to get a screenshot of it firing that looked good. As you can see, i failed.

The next gun is this thing, a sword, based on the design the purple guy you play as stole it from an elf princess or a really bad tattooist.

I hate it, no reason.

Then there's Megaman's hand:

Its a rocket launcher, but it makes a terrible sound and its blast radius is so huge that you're guarenteed to hurt yourself in the tiny, lovely levels of this game. I hate it.

Now for the good weapon, the Flak Cannon From UT But With Piercings And A Wallet Chain. It's good as hell:

Anyway yeah I climbed up a ladder (which all bookcases have) and ended up fighting some fat barfing guys, some purple crabs, an enemy spawner imaginatively called 'spawner' and some kind of blue S&M magician:

I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty tired of the stereotype in games that fat guys barf all the time. I mean, logically speaking if fat guys were always barfing then it'd be very difficult for them to stay fat, especially if they'd been honing their barfing enough to be hired as professional murder-barfers by whatever evil guy it is today.

One thing that is pretty neat in this game for the time is the dismemberment. Everyone breaks into little bits like dying lego men, and some of them say alive post- dismemberment and truck around a bit. You can chop off both a purple crab guys arms so they're just kind of a california raisin guy walking around. I don't know how they attack you in this state, but they do. This picture is not of that situation, I am sorry.

So like I guess what I could say that is good about this book case level is that the designers clearly new that nobody fuckin likes stupid rear end gimmick levels, so there were only like two shelves to walk across before I got to the weird waistcoat of power:

Putting it on gave purple guy some kind of magic orgasm:

Which I guess just turned out to be how he puts on his clothes.

Then a spooky book opened up, and showed me a picture of a clown in a sewer tunnel! Aaaah!

I was immediately teleported into the sewer tunnel, and the scary clown was there, aaaah!

Luckily for me the clown got slightly stuck on a corner and just stood there walking in place for a long-rear end time so I could take a screenshot of him, laugh at him, then shoot him to death. I turned the mysterious valve from the book picture, which disabled the purple flow to the purple fountain which I guess was a thing I wanted to do for some reason?

Anyway I went down into the purple fountain, and I met This loving Guy, who the text underneath the cutscene of him assured me is the Unipsycho.

He definitely had a unicycle for his feet, but I felt like I didn't get to interact with him enough to determine if he was a psycho or not. He was shooting a lot of fireballs around, but honestly I spent the game so far shooting a ton of fireballs, iceballs, ball balls and shotguns around the place, so I don't know if I can judge him for that without coming off as a hypocrit.

Anyway, to prove that I was not a psycho, I killed him in cold blood and stole past the gate he was guarding, the entryway to the PURPLE SEWERRRRRSSSSSS

It was about this time that like, the game totally crashed and I had to restart it, which led to me discovering that I'd loaded totally the wrong save and had gotten waaay further in the game than this before and thus probably already covered all this stuff in the last post I did about the game and probably made the same exact loving jokes that time too, so I got mad and closed the game.

I hate you, KISS psycho circus.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Fun fact: some of KISS: Psycho Circus's devs were the original Daikatana development guys that quit around September 1998.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Then a spooky book opened up, and showed me a picture of a clown in a sewer tunnel! Aaaah!

I was immediately teleported into the sewer tunnel, and the scary clown was there, aaaah!

Myst?! :stare:

That does indeed sound awful. The weapons look terrible.

KISS Psycho Circus just seems like such a loving mess. Kiss the band to begin with was a mess, they started out glam-rock but then decided they wanted to be harder, while still playing disco music. So you have the name "kiss" but then you've got the face paint and clothing which look like they're from a heavy metal band. Although While Gene had the demon face paint, Peter Criss had ... cat makeup?! I mean seriously, the band is "demon, starchild, spaceman and catman" .... what?! Then they had the whole kiss army.... It just always felt to me like KISS was a band that had 4 completely different people in it who couldn't make up their minds on anything.

And then you get to Psycho Circus and now you have a FPS which can't make up its mind on what it wants to be about, based on a band which couldn't make up its mind on what IT wanted to be about.

Its some kind of ridiculous Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game style perversion of marketing. Who wanted this? I guess presumably KISS fans. :v: Were there any of those left in 2000? Oh poo poo, I'm forgetting about the Psycho Circus comic series that the game was based on, which was itself based on the band. :doh:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 22, 2015

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I'm sure it was posted in this thread, does anyone have a link to the cool youtube video that goes through the doom alphas? I'm pretty sure it had commentary too.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

nexus6 posted:

I'm sure it was posted in this thread, does anyone have a link to the cool youtube video that goes through the doom alphas? I'm pretty sure it had commentary too.

This?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6YTBTSsrqU

No commentary, but it's a good overview of the alphas with the occasional note on-screen to tell you about something interesting that's not apparent in the footage.

For more :spergin: looks, try the TCRF's Doom alpha pages and these playlists.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

like, i have a disproportionate degree of hatred for kiss psycho circus. theres just something like, subconscious that makes me hate it. I dunno what it its, but everything in it looks and feels lovely. everything's gloomy, but in a really bad way, not like an atmospheric way, and controlling the game just feels terrible, like theres some weird intermediary between you and what happens. Like in any of the id or unreal engine games there's a sense of immediacy between your inputs and what happens in the game, but KISS always feels like one of those dreams when you're trying to run but you can't move fast enough.

it's a small thing, but i'm a pretty kinaesthetic person and the physicality of the game is wack, it doesn't get in the way of actually playing the game, it just makes playing it less enjoyable.

I think the only other game I've played that had that weird distant feeling is the first FEAR game, which I actually quite liked a lot despite it.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

like, i have a disproportionate degree of hatred for kiss psycho circus. theres just something like, subconscious that makes me hate it. I dunno what it its, but everything in it looks and feels lovely. everything's gloomy, but in a really bad way, not like an atmospheric way, and controlling the game just feels terrible, like theres some weird intermediary between you and what happens. Like in any of the id or unreal engine games there's a sense of immediacy between your inputs and what happens in the game, but KISS always feels like one of those dreams when you're trying to run but you can't move fast enough.

it's a small thing, but i'm a pretty kinaesthetic person and the physicality of the game is wack, it doesn't get in the way of actually playing the game, it just makes playing it less enjoyable.

I think the only other game I've played that had that weird distant feeling is the first FEAR game, which I actually quite liked a lot despite it.

The controls being poo poo might be because it uses Lithtech.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I've never met a Lithtech game that I thought felt good, or even acceptable. That includes Lithtech games I like, too. I know that pegging down gamefeel can be hard, but usually it's choices made in the design of the individual game, it's rare that I can point to an entire engine and say "that feels awful. "

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The main thing I remember from the whole KISS: Psycho Circus stuff is when a buddy of mine and I asked another friend, who was a bit of a compulsive liar, what song he liked better: 'Psycho Circus' (real), or 'Welcome to the Show' (not real, just lyrics from the other song). He said they were both ok, and had different, detailed opinions of each one.

Anyway, we got about 30 minutes of fun out of that whole situation, which seems to be about 29 more minutes than you got from playing this, FirstPersonShitter.

I never really liked KISS. I mean, I don't hate them, and I get that they have a lot of deserved hits, but I feel like Psycho Circus (album/comic/game) just should not have happened.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I never liked Kiss the band, but thought the game was okay, at least the demo was (it was also pretty lengthy, giving two levels per band member). I look at it in kinda rose-colored nostalgia glasses, because it's the epitome of '00-'01 some kind of nu-metal-gothic stylistic which was shared between some notable games at the time: KISS, Heavy Metal F.A.K.K., Daikatana, Evil Twin, Mc Gee's Alice, Gift etc.

Which kinda reminds me Gunman Chronicles. Did anyone here ever played it to some extent? Is it good? Apparently the demo version has unique levels from full version, same as HL: Uplink.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

laserghost posted:

Which kinda reminds me Gunman Chronicles. Did anyone here ever played it to some extent? Is it good? Apparently the demo version has unique levels from full version, same as HL: Uplink.

I did, but it was a long time ago, so I don't remember that much about it. I know I finished the game, but I recall having to noclip through one or two sections because I couldn't figure out where I needed to go (which was most likely my fault, and not the fault of the game.) The one major feature I remember it had was that most all the weapons had multiple firing modes.

I've always wondered why it never popped up on Steam, but it looks like the developer (Rewolf Software) dissolved after the game was released.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

laserghost posted:

I'll vouch for it: Gunman Chronicles rules. The multiple fire modes were a cool idea and, unlike some games with similar features, were all actually useful for different things. The overall story and aesthetic were charmingly weird: something about space cowboys fighting giant alien plants and then having to fight against a rebellion led by somebody you once trusted. Also one of the only games I can think of where there was a dinosaur in it where it actually felt suitably massive... for some reason, most of the time that you see dinosaurs in FPS games, they just... never feel big enough.

There's also a nice patch you can get for it that will add it to Steam for you and IIRC it also had a few nice modernization tweaks to it.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

laserghost posted:

I never liked Kiss the band, but thought the game was okay, at least the demo was (it was also pretty lengthy, giving two levels per band member). I look at it in kinda rose-colored nostalgia glasses, because it's the epitome of '00-'01 some kind of nu-metal-gothic stylistic which was shared between some notable games at the time: KISS, Heavy Metal F.A.K.K., Daikatana, Evil Twin, Mc Gee's Alice, Gift etc.

I like that style, cheesy as it is. I wish more modern games would use it instead of just Ziggurat and Darksiders. :smith:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
For some reason I own KISS: Psycho Circus. Did it get good reviews at the time? All I remember is a mess of super dingy faded colors and gray, lots of gray. One dude had a whip, right? The memory is like of a dull headache. I don't remember any part of that game bringing me joy.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

david_a posted:

For some reason I own KISS: Psycho Circus. Did it get good reviews at the time? All I remember is a mess of super dingy faded colors and gray, lots of gray. One dude had a whip, right? The memory is like of a dull headache. I don't remember any part of that game bringing me joy.

it was an ~80% game at the time, i think maybe before the advent of the review scale only being from 70-100. There's a whip you can use for weird grappling, but it uses ammo for some reason.

Gunman chronicles was pretty great and the guns were genuinely insanely configurable. The amount of options on the rocket launcher was crazy.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

it was an ~80% game at the time, i think maybe before the advent of the review scale only being from 70-100. There's a whip you can use for weird grappling, but it uses ammo for some reason.

Gunman chronicles was pretty great and the guns were genuinely insanely configurable. The amount of options on the rocket launcher was crazy.

Are the configs actually useful, or is it like the Unreal 2 Grenade Launcher, where it gives you a lot of options, but the only one you'll ever use is the default frag grenade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

I'll vouch for it: Gunman Chronicles rules. The multiple fire modes were a cool idea and, unlike some games with similar features, were all actually useful for different things. The overall story and aesthetic were charmingly weird: something about space cowboys fighting giant alien plants and then having to fight against a rebellion led by somebody you once trusted. Also one of the only games I can think of where there was a dinosaur in it where it actually felt suitably massive... for some reason, most of the time that you see dinosaurs in FPS games, they just... never feel big enough.

There's also a nice patch you can get for it that will add it to Steam for you and IIRC it also had a few nice modernization tweaks to it.

I've said similar things in the past. The massive dinosaur (brachiosaurus?) still looks good, too--it was incredibly looking when the game first came out--and the enemy roster is occupied by a diverse group of strange (but cohesive) alien lifeforms, including a huge worm thing that periodically wreaked havoc. The weapons were complex but relatively fun to use, whether it was converting the pistol into a sniper rifle, or messing around with the MULE Rocket Launcher's various payload modes, or changing the settings on that chemical weapon. And yeah, the setting was bizarrely refreshing: Civil War aesthetics meets wild (space)west with robots, dinosaurs, and an alien zoo thrown in for good measure.