Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Deadpool posted:

Don't feel bad about it. I would too. Duggan/Posehn, then Nicieza, and then Kelly. That's how I'd do it.

Fair enough. Meanwhile, here's who I have penned for the bottom 5:

20) Rob Rodi: Identity Disc was poo poo.

19) Duane Swierczynski: His two minis were completely vanilla and he had one sequence in Wade Wilson's War that was so unfunny that it actually made me angry.

18) Frank Tieri: Weak run outside of that really sweet funeral issue. Otherwise a handful of decent ideas that never landed.

17) Victor Gischler: "Man, Deadpool sure is WACKY! ...That's all I got."

16) Daniel Way: Had some flashes of brilliance and strong stories early on, but he never knew when to quit and stayed on for far too long with the stories getting worse and worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I'll be interested to see where you put Cullen Bunn on there, because the Deadpool Kills* series were all over the place in terms of quality.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gavok posted:

Now I know for a fact I read that, but I can never remember a drat thing about it.

Is that the story where Deadpool and Wolverine confront each other on a dam? Or is that something else?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gavok posted:

19) Duane Swierczynski: His two minis were completely vanilla and he had one sequence in Wade Wilson's War that was so unfunny that it actually made me angry.

18) Frank Tieri: Weak run outside of that really sweet funeral issue. Otherwise a handful of decent ideas that never landed.

17) Victor Gischler: "Man, Deadpool sure is WACKY! ...That's all I got."

16) Daniel Way: Had some flashes of brilliance and strong stories early on, but he never knew when to quit and stayed on for far too long with the stories getting worse and worse.

I don't know that I'd place Way that low, but good calls on the others. Lapham would definitely be at or near the bottom for me though. And Peter David I love you man, but you write a poo poo Deadpool.

I almost feel like Mark Waid is the hardest to judge of all because his Deadpool was at a time when there wasn't really much to Deadpool at all. It almost feels like a different character at some points. I think that way of most Pre-Kelly appearances though.

X-O fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 12, 2015

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

RandallODim posted:

I'll be interested to see where you put Cullen Bunn on there, because the Deadpool Kills* series were all over the place in terms of quality.

Yeah, Bunn is an interesting one because his writing has really turned the corner in the past few years, but it happened while he was writing a million Deadpool comics. Deadpool Kills was mostly terrible, but everything that followed was a good time.

Lurdiak posted:

Now I know for a fact I read that, but I can never remember a drat thing about it.

Is that the story where Deadpool and Wolverine confront each other on a dam? Or is that something else?

Nope. It's Usual Suspects with villains. Literally Usual Suspects with villains.

Deadpool posted:

I don't know that I'd place Way that low, but good calls on the others. Lapham would definitely be at or near the bottom for me though. And Peter David I love you man, but you write a poo poo Deadpool.

Lapham's a tough call because I have a hard time pinning down how I really feel about Deadpool MAX. At the very least, I liked his Wade.

I didn't mind Art of War. It wasn't offensive, but it wasn't anything special.

quote:

I almost feel like Mark Waid is the hardest to judge of all because his Deadpool was at a time when there wasn't really much to Deadpool at all. It almost feels like a different character at some points. I think that way of most Pre-Kelly appearances though.

I would say he wrote the first good Deadpool story and helped steer him into the direction that Kelly solidified, so he gets a decent enough ranking.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I definitely think Bunn is one of the better writers for Deadpool. No he didn't start out great with the character but he's written it for so long now, even though all through minis, that he's gotten a pretty good handle on the character. I think his Night of the Living Deadpool and Return of the Living Deadpool are really good stories. Outside of the main long term series writers, excluding Way, he's probably my second favorite after Mike Benson. But that's because Suicide Kings is one of my favorite Deadpool stories period.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I was about to knock you for not including John Ostrander's Heroes for Hire, but Deadpool only had a 2-issue team-up (thought it was 3 before double-checking).

Didn't Waid say that he never would have taken the Deadpool gig if he had known what he was getting into?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Deadpool Corps should be at the bottom of the list. gently caress that series.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

IUG posted:

Deadpool Corps should be at the bottom of the list. gently caress that series.

That would be Gischler. He's really low on the list, but let's be honest, he wasn't responsible for the series' #1 problem, which was Liefeld art.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Kelly, Duggan/Posehn, Nicieza.

Joe Kelly is the one that made Deadpool interesting. It wasn't until Kelly's Garbage Man that he really clicked. Nicieza's Cable and Deadpool was also good, but it just followed up on what Kelly did. Likewise Duggan/Posehn, but I feel they did a better job of it (presidents aside) and is the only run that really compares to Kelly's.

I haven't read everyone on that list, but Gischler deserves the bottom. And I don't know how Peter David (who I really like) took Deadpool (who I really like) and made such an unfunny book (which I did not like.)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Gavok posted:

That would be Gischler. He's really low on the list, but let's be honest, he wasn't responsible for the series' #1 problem, which was Liefeld art.

Yeah, the art was just about the worst Deadpool has ever had (that or mash potatoes Domino from MAX), but I can't remember a single thing from Corps. Only the Prelude had some good issues. The series had some outer space adventure with some blue guy as the baddie. It was generic and forgettable.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

What's the scene in Wade Wilson's war you hated that much? I read that series and can't remember a single thing about it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

TheJoker138 posted:

What's the scene in Wade Wilson's war you hated that much? I read that series and can't remember a single thing about it.

Wade is testifying at this big trial thing and he removes his mask to reveal what the government's done to him. Everyone's shocked and it's a cliffhanger. Then in the next issue, it shows that he's Michael Jackson under the mask. And he starts beating up guards while singing "Poker Face." Then he takes the mask off and has another Deadpool mask on underneath.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gavok posted:

Wade is testifying at this big trial thing and he removes his mask to reveal what the government's done to him. Everyone's shocked and it's a cliffhanger. Then in the next issue, it shows that he's Michael Jackson under the mask. And he starts beating up guards while singing "Poker Face." Then he takes the mask off and has another Deadpool mask on underneath.

But...but Poker Face isn't even a Michael Jackson song...

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

TheJoker138 posted:

But...but Poker Face isn't even a Michael Jackson song...

Yeah, but it was 2010 and back then, just referencing "Poker Face" counted as a joke somehow.

Only South Park made it work.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I would put Way lower just because the sheer length of his run combined with his general decline meant that he had a lot of sway over how non-comic readers and other writers see/portray the character. What I'm getting at is when I try to get people to read (good) Deadpool comics, I have to start my pitch with "No he's not a bad character, really" because the internet is inundated with panels of Way's run posted all over imgur (or tumblr or other dumb websites) by morons who lap that poo poo up and think "chimichangas" is a punchline. Way even wrote a whole unfunny video game script to really make sure non-comic readers knew Deadpool was just awful.

Of course, I haven't read Gischler but it sounds like he has a lot of the same lolrandom humor problem I hate, so maybe he is worse than Way.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Wasn't Way also the one who started the multiple conflicting thought bubbles thing? I hated those

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, but I think it's almost worth it for the annual where Acker and Blacker resolved them.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Deadpool posted:

Yeah, but I think it's almost worth it for the annual where Acker and Blacker resolved them.

I only just made the connection that they're the Thrilling Adventure Hour guys. I am dumb. :downs:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

TwoPair posted:

I would put Way lower just because the sheer length of his run combined with his general decline meant that he had a lot of sway over how non-comic readers and other writers see/portray the character. What I'm getting at is when I try to get people to read (good) Deadpool comics, I have to start my pitch with "No he's not a bad character, really" because the internet is inundated with panels of Way's run posted all over imgur (or tumblr or other dumb websites) by morons who lap that poo poo up and think "chimichangas" is a punchline. Way even wrote a whole unfunny video game script to really make sure non-comic readers knew Deadpool was just awful.

Of course, I haven't read Gischler but it sounds like he has a lot of the same lolrandom humor problem I hate, so maybe he is worse than Way.

I recall when Merc with a Mouth was about to start, Gischler admitted that the only Deadpool he had read was Way's. So there you go on that. Gischler's Merc with a Mouth kind of felt like an okay fill-in story that was given its own ongoing.

Way at the very least has that quality Deadpool arc in Wolverine: Origins and the whole Deadpool vs. Bullseye storyline.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:

Deadpool posted:

Man, W.A.N.D. was such a cool idea. I'm pretty annoyed that nobody ever got a chance to explore it in any meaningful way whatsoever.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

I recall when Merc with a Mouth was about to start, Gischler admitted that the only Deadpool he had read was Way's. So there you go on that. Gischler's Merc with a Mouth kind of felt like an okay fill-in story that was given its own ongoing.

Way at the very least has that quality Deadpool arc in Wolverine: Origins and the whole Deadpool vs. Bullseye storyline.
Everything up to and including the joining-the-X-Men arc was good Deadpool, and was responsible for getting me really into the character (plus, it happily made me check out the earlier Kelly and Nicieza stuff). Everything after that was a progressively larger dumpster fire that no one cared to put out.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

redbackground posted:

Everything up to and including the joining-the-X-Men arc was good Deadpool, and was responsible for getting me really into the character (plus, it happily made me check out the earlier Kelly and Nicieza stuff). Everything after that was a progressively larger dumpster fire that no one cared to put out.

A lot of it was also mired in Deadpool being an absolute rear end in a top hat, and not even a funny one.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

IUG posted:

Didn't Doctor McNinja's Chris Hastings do a 4 part (or so) Fear Itself tie-in? I forget the number of issues.

He also is/was a goon posting as Dr. McNinja, and a pretty nice guy based on his response to a bizarre and drunken email I sent him. He was part of a strange naming trend that inspired my own "Dr." user name.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

He also is/was a goon posting as Dr. McNinja, and a pretty nice guy based on his response to a bizarre and drunken email I sent him. He was part of a strange naming trend that inspired my own "Dr." user name.

...so, you're not a real doctor? Charlatan!

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Lurdiak posted:

It's the series where Marvel needed something with the word "Identity" on the cover to combat the sad, bad and mostly forgotten then-current sales juggernaut Identity Crisis.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

Lightning Lord posted:

It's the series where Marvel needed something with the word "Identity" on the cover to combat the sad, bad and mostly forgotten then-current sales juggernaut Identity Crisis.

It was more like The Usual Suspects with Bullseye, Deadpool, Juggernaut, Sabretooth, Sandman, and Vulture blackmailed into tracking down and stealing a disc with every single secret identity on it.

It's also the mini that page of Sabretooth falling down an elevator shaft flipping around like a cat to land safely, strike a pose, then have Juggernaut fall on him headfirst, is from. I'd post it if I could find it.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

It was more like The Usual Suspects with Bullseye, Deadpool, Juggernaut, Sabretooth, Sandman, and Vulture blackmailed into tracking down and stealing a disc with every single secret identity on it.

It's also the mini that page of Sabretooth falling down an elevator shaft flipping around like a cat to land safely, strike a pose, then have Juggernaut fall on him headfirst, is from. I'd post it if I could find it.

I've read it but if you tell me it wasn't greenlighted for the reason I laid out I will call you a liar.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lightning Lord posted:

I've read it but if you tell me it wasn't greenlighted for the reason I laid out I will call you a liar.

It reminds me of how a few years ago, Marvel rereleased the first three issues of Remender's Venom and called it Venom: Flashpoint.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I'm into my 3rd shortbox of Deadpool comics so I made a checklist of what I have.

I have 326 Deadpool comics and 13 trades :stare:

The only big things I'm missing are the Cable & Deadpool run and the two Deadpool Max runs but I have the trades for them.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

Lightning Lord posted:

Eh, it probably got written because someone watched The Usual Suspects the night before, but I could see the name and the Mcguffin being chosen for dumb marketing reasons.

By the way I found the page I was talking about.

Identity Disc #4

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That's kinda up there with that page of Creed whistling and casually walking away while Deadpool freaks out on... Rhino?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gaz-L posted:

That's kinda up there with that page of Creed whistling and casually walking away while Deadpool freaks out on... Rhino?

I think it was Crossbones?

Sabretooth has some good comedy chops.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Lurdiak posted:

No matter how many times I see this the jetpack always gets me :allears:

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica
Just finished reading night of the deadpool. Seems like I need to go get the second one I didn't know about.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Howling Commandos book is confirmed as an ongoing for after Secret Wars. I will greatly enjoy all eight issues before cancellation.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Deadpool posted:

The Howling Commandos book is confirmed as an ongoing for after Secret Wars. I will greatly enjoy all eight issues before cancellation.

Don't be silly.

It'll be cancelled at #12.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

All I know is that I will gladly support the ongoing adventures of Marcus the Diabetic Werewolf Centaur Symbiote.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is the Duggan/Posehn team sticking around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Lurdiak posted:

Where can I go to read more about funny, actually interesting Sabretooth? I like the character in theory but most of my previous exposure to him was in this terrible 90s comic my brother had that was trying waaay to hard to be edgy. (I realize now that that was just a 90s thing and not necessarily his fault.)

• Locked thread