Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Scrree posted:

Today I helped the two greatest heroes of ancient times

What chest armor is the Luigi cosplayer wearing? I think it's Cale's but I'm not very sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Looks like the Falconer Armor to me

E: whoops I can't read

glomkettle fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 22, 2015

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It's the Rogue set.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

On the subject of softbanning, while it's a preventative measure rather than a corrective one, you can avoid getting hit with that for most things (including item manipulation) by going offline before doing it.

Don't gently caress with soul memory though. I'm pretty sure they have a check for "does this character have lower soul memory now than they did the last time they were online?". This applies to restoring save backups as well, unless you'd been using Agape Ring the whole time and your SM was unchanged.

It's a lovely system and I don't agree with how they've implemented it at all, but at least knowing how it works could help other people avoid getting softbanned for relatively harmless stuff.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Vil posted:

Don't gently caress with soul memory though. I'm pretty sure they have a check for "does this character have lower soul memory now than they did the last time they were online?". This applies to restoring save backups as well, unless you'd been using Agape Ring the whole time and your SM was unchanged.
I've been restoring save backups constantly (for example when trying to farm some item or when I wanted to go back to a previous NG+ cycle), have been doing so way before the Agape ring even was a thing and haven't been soft-banned. So.. erm... yeah :shrug:

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 22, 2015

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Butt Bidness posted:

In terms of optimal build for pve and some PvP, should Cestus be +10 no infusion with a 40/40 quality build? I like punching bosses and dark spirits to death, but kinda wondering what to raise now that my str/Dex are at goal.

All of its damage comes from scaling, so infusion is a big no-no.

You might try aiming for the stats to cast Sacred Oath (25 faith and 4 attunement slots) to buff up your damage more, or just get a ton of HP and Stamina. Or, if you don't have it already, level ADP until you get to 99 or 105 agility.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Raygereio posted:

I've been restoring save backups constantly (for example when trying to farm some item or when I wanted to go back to a previous NG+ cycle), have been doing so way before the Agape ring even was a thing and haven't been soft-banned. So.. erm... yeah :shrug:

I could be wrong about that, then. It's still solidly on my list of things I wouldn't feel comfortable loving with.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I've hosed with my SM SO MUCH and I still haven't been softbanned.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
How would one go about adding a whole bunch of titanite pieces (of every size)?

I'd like to start trying out new weapons but comparing a +10 claymore to a base rapier is kinda lovely; I know I should be deciding based on the moveset, but I'd like to have an idea of damage at the same levels at least.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Alabaster White posted:

The softban system wouldn't be a problem if people would stop cheating in the first place :colbert:
You're lucky it's only a minor ban instead of going full VAC on your rear end.

No offense, but you're being foolish if you actually think like this. The system does nothing to stop anything remotely malicious, only harmless things to speed up terrible grind.

There is no detection for anything but Soul Level/Memory combination and certain item manipulations. The second of which can be inflicted on someone else without their knowledge with a slightly tweaked drop, and From won't care. Things it does not punish you for include forcing the game to crash and causing permanent save corruption.

---

As for save backups...

They detect Soul Level/Memory combinations, not SM itself. You can mess with SM all you want if you stay at Level 1. Most hackers don't know the method of doing so while being able to properly wield weapons and armor, so basically I was the only guy who actually did this. That was the secret to how I stayed unbanned until I deliberately tried to screw with arena's SL/SM matchmaking... on a family-shared backup testing account no less.

Save backups can get you hit, but I imagine it's a rare bug that only happens if your SL changes too, and even then it's spurious.

In sum: The softban system is indefensible trash.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 22, 2015

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Where does the term "softban" come from anyway? I don't think I've ever seen it outside this thread.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Does Scholar change anything about the Bellbro/Sunbro grind to get their faction spells? Achievements don't carry over and the spells in those covenants drove me mad. I WILL maintain all my silly little steam trophies. :argh:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

Does Scholar change anything about the Bellbro/Sunbro grind to get their faction spells? Achievements don't carry over and the spells in those covenants drove me mad. I WILL maintain all my silly little steam trophies. :argh:

Nope, although you can still do them both offline via Mad Warrior grinding and killing things for Sunlight Medals.

Actually, the latter is now easier because of the additional falconer spawns in SotFS. Personally I'd just go online and co-op a bunch for it, especially now with Agape Ring preventing you from outleveling your favorite co-op fight.

You can't directly grind the bluebro/bloodbro covenants offline, but you can still buy their spells from Wellager in NG++.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Chard posted:

Where does the term "softban" come from anyway? I don't think I've ever seen it outside this thread.

I don't know where the term originates but wherever it's used, it basically just means "you can still play the game but with restrictions added to non-critical features". A hard ban in DS2's case would either be restricting all multiplayer (as in, you can't see messages/phantoms either) or preventing you from playing the game at all, but removing access to the game in general is against Steam's TOS and I doubt they'd go that far anyway.

edit: Soft banning does have another use in the fighting game community where it means that a character or stage is banned for a certain tournament, but it's not a universally recognized ban or it's something that's not usually on a ban list (like for a special event or something). But that's a totally separate meaning.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 22, 2015

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Vil posted:

Nope, although you can still do them both offline via Mad Warrior grinding and killing things for Sunlight Medals.

Actually, the latter is now easier because of the additional falconer spawns in SotFS. Personally I'd just go online and co-op a bunch for it, especially now with Agape Ring preventing you from outleveling your favorite co-op fight.

You can't directly grind the bluebro/bloodbro covenants offline, but you can still buy their spells from Wellager in NG++.

Figured as such, ah well. I'll just man up and do it a second time I guess.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Butt Bidness posted:

In terms of optimal build for pve and some PvP, should Cestus be +10 no infusion with a 40/40 quality build? I like punching bosses and dark spirits to death, but kinda wondering what to raise now that my str/Dex are at goal.

If you're doing fisticuffs you should make that 40/45 so that you can powerstance the Bone Fist with a Caestus and get your Heihachi on.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Boy did they do a number on the Dragon Aerie for Scholar of the First Sin. They took an area that was already undercooked and said "I dunno, let's let people skip it, make the dragons not aggro, and throw in more of those exploding prisoners that are here for some reason and nobody likes."

Like holy poo poo what a waste of a zone.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Yodzilla posted:

Boy did they do a number on the Dragon Aerie for Scholar of the First Sin. They took an area that was already undercooked and said "I dunno, let's let people skip it, make the dragons not aggro, and throw in more of those exploding prisoners that are here for some reason and nobody likes."

Also they added a petrified dude in the main path, except he's pointless because you can go around the level backwards.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Wow the made the Dragon Keep easy as bells too unless I did something else that makes all of those guards just salute me instead of attacking.

Also I just went through almost the entirety of Dark Souls 2 and completely forgot about Sublime Bone Dust being a thing. I had four in my inventory :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Yodzilla posted:

Wow the made the Dragon Keep easy as bells too unless I did something else that makes all of those guards just salute me instead of attacking.

The dragon knights (except for the ones on the big staircase) don't aggro on you unless you attack them or run past the big tower knights. It's a pretty cool way to balance the original area without changing a whole lot.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Yodzilla posted:

I'm guessing all the extra exploding guys are there to make it harder for people to grind the area for crafting materials by using bonfire ascetics to kill lizards repeatedly, but it really just makes it so people will want to ignore it completely. Opening up the shortcut from the beginning and making people waste a branch just to take the normal route almost seems like they're trying to stop people from playing it.

Weird decision since it's the best looking area in a game that's largely bland in appearance, even with the graphical upgrades in SotFS.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

CJacobs posted:

The dragon knights (except for the ones on the big staircase) don't aggro on you unless you attack them or run past the big tower knights. It's a pretty cool way to balance the original area without changing a whole lot.

Those guys are fuckers, so this is a good change.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
If they didn't want people farming lizards, why would they add 3 right next to the Harvest Valley bonfire?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah the endgame seems worse overall. Dragon shrine has way fewer guys to kill. I guess it's okay, that staircase was a nightmare, but it no longer feels like "the long hard cock of a last area of a long hard game",

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
ugh. Yeah New Iron Keep really sucks compared to the old one. I didn't keep count of how many Alonne Knights are skulking around in there now but it was enough to get fairly close to a broken Parrying Dagger's worth of kills.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Man the design of the iron king dlc is really getting to me. The whole thing is just a really frustrating experience. Im around level 110 or so and its a real pain. Some areas i think are just designed to laugh at the player. Its a wonder of design having a tough area to go through with those loving iron warriors only to have the game poo poo the loving smelter demon on you. I guess they took a page from the because gently caress you thats why school of game design. Its a shame b3cause the core game feels better now imo.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Just started Crown of the Sunken King, this area is rad as hell. I got a giant poison mace that also poisons me but BRING IT THE gently caress ON :black101:

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

Just started Crown of the Sunken King, this area is rad as hell. I got a giant poison mace that also poisons me but BRING IT THE gently caress ON :black101:

Those same dudes drop gauntlets that raise your poison resistance by a shitton. They make a good pairing

Since you were asking in YOSPOS, you can get a fist weapon that makes your moveset like Heihachis from Tekken. Just throwing that out there.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Those same dudes drop gauntlets that raise your poison resistance by a shitton. They make a good pairing

Since you were asking in YOSPOS, you can get a fist weapon that makes your moveset like Heihachis from Tekken. Just throwing that out there.

It's also rear end deep in the last DLC, so you'll hardly get to use it except in pvp.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Well he could just save Iron King for last if he wants to play with it more......

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah the endgame seems worse overall. Dragon shrine has way fewer guys to kill. I guess it's okay, that staircase was a nightmare, but it no longer feels like "the long hard cock of a last area of a long hard game",

Dragon Shrine staircase is much worse now, it's like 12 dragon guys that will all aggro you all the way to the bonfire. They will also aggro deeper into the Ancient Dragon platform.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

Dragon Shrine staircase is much worse now, it's like 12 dragon guys that will all aggro you all the way to the bonfire.

They only aggro you at all if you try to dodge the phantom one that only spawns once or if you pick a fight with them. If you start your fight from the top you won't even aggro the whole mess of them.

Sadly, their drop rates are just miserable. Clear out all of them and you might get 1 drop per run and it's probably just a dragon scale.

Filler Bunny
Jul 16, 2003

Vermain posted:

but, roughly speaking, any Poise amount below 36 is wasted. 60.3 Poise will let you take a single hit from the majority of weapons in the game (namely spears, daggers, swords, halberds, etc. that are wielded one-handed) without getting stunned.

What's the cutoff before 36?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Filler Bunny posted:

What's the cutoff before 36?

There might be some benefit against certain very weak enemies, but the weakest possible attack that's been tested (a one-handed normal swing from a 10 Poise damage weapon) requires 36 Poise to not be staggered by one attack from it.

Poise works differently than in DS1, as well, if you're more familiar with that system. In DS1, Poise regenerated very rapidly when not being hit, but it has an absolutely tiny rate of regeneration in DS2. In practice, the only way to regain your Poise once you've been damaged in DS2 is to get staggered, which resets the meter.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Quick question - where are sotfs saves located? Want to play on my laptop rather than my desktop but since cloud saving isn't supported...

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

The Iron Rose posted:

Quick question - where are sotfs saves located? Want to play on my laptop rather than my desktop but since cloud saving isn't supported...
type %appData% into the windows explorer bar and press enter, then in the Dark Souls 2 folder there. The crazy random hash string name is your save folder.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Oh man was Sinh a cool loving fight. I'm really enjoying this DLC.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I wish From would quit nerfing hyper mode. I finally feel like I've gotten good enough to mess with it but it feels almost pointless now.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Six-Gk-Vlg
Thanks for the help...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

You deserved it for not manning up and parrying him.