Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Nuebot posted:

My last complaint about the game is that while the best part is the chaotic open world aspect, Rockstar apparently disagrees and they really frown on doing things like shooting other people. Or blowing up their cars. Blowing up another person's car will get you marked as a "bad sport" and eventually land you in a server pool exclusively of other bad sport players, people who chronically quit games and the like.

So I guess what I'm saying is, it's a fun game but rockstar seems to have forgotten what made GTA fun in the first place.

I'm a little late on this, but have you actually played the game or are you just spreading hearsay? Shooting other players is perfectly fine, and while it WAS the case a while back that blowing up someone's car would get you marked as a bad sport, that's been changed. You have to blow up a shitload of players' personal vehicles - in other words, spend time devoting yourself to griefing despite the game popping a warning the first time you destroy someone's personal vehicle - to get placed in the bad sport servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'm a little late on this, but have you actually played the game or are you just spreading hearsay? Shooting other players is perfectly fine, and while it WAS the case a while back that blowing up someone's car would get you marked as a bad sport, that's been changed. You have to blow up a shitload of players' personal vehicles - in other words, spend time devoting yourself to griefing despite the game popping a warning the first time you destroy someone's personal vehicle - to get placed in the bad sport servers.

Yeah, in my experience they've gotten pretty good about differentiating between players just playing the game and players intentionally setting out to ruin the game for others.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Holy poo poo, people actually liked this garbage?

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...

Esroc posted:

Yeah, in my experience they've gotten pretty good about differentiating between players just playing the game and players intentionally setting out to ruin the game for others.

They have definitely. The other night I managed to wreck a buddy's motorcycle at least four times and only after the fourth did it warn me about being a total jerk. That was only after I flung his motorcycle into the ocean while trying to ride the roller coaster with it.

I think it mostly arose from people trying to grief you in high dollar value cars and you having to destroy the car and shell out thousands for destroying it AND getting dinged for defending yourself. It was a system that essentially punished you for saving your own hide. I think they lifted the threshold a bit so it is forgiving once or twice and you really have to seek people out to get a warning. Most people back off once they realize you're not a newbie and don't care about wrecking their Bugatti.

Still I love getting texts in game like "THX FOR THE INSURANCE $$$ NEWB!!!11" from some 12 year old whose starter car you blew up cause they tried to run you over a dozen times and you sticky bomb them into oblivion.

That is the one thing that drags GTA:ONLINE down though. Prepubescent kids shouting and screeching into their mics. Or people blasting lovely D&B in the background. I'm glad the mute function is there but drat I wish it was easier to find who is shouting faster so I can mute them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nuebot posted:

My last complaint about the game is that while the best part is the chaotic open world aspect, Rockstar apparently disagrees and they really frown on doing things like shooting other people. Or blowing up their cars. Blowing up another person's car will get you marked as a "bad sport" and eventually land you in a server pool exclusively of other bad sport players, people who chronically quit games and the like.

So I guess what I'm saying is, it's a fun game but rockstar seems to have forgotten what made GTA fun in the first place.

You're confusing two different things, mate.

Killing other players decreases your mental state which makes you appear more red on the map and makes it clear to other players you're a player killer. Keeping your mental state high by not killing players or npcs makes you appear more passive and gives you occasional money bonuses.

Quitting from matches that have started makes you a "bad sport" and doing so over and over will get you matched with other "bad sports"

The two are independent, or at least they're independent on the PS4/Xbone/PC versions. Dunno about the original release.

You can kill other players all day every day in GTA Online. That's half the fun.

Hunky Joe posted:

Still I love getting texts in game like "THX FOR THE INSURANCE $$$ NEWB!!!11" from some 12 year old whose starter car you blew up cause they tried to run you over a dozen times and you sticky bomb them into oblivion.

That is the one thing that drags GTA:ONLINE down though. Prepubescent kids shouting and screeching into their mics. Or people blasting lovely D&B in the background. I'm glad the mute function is there but drat I wish it was easier to find who is shouting faster so I can mute them.

My current favorite thing is when somebody tries to kill me, fucks up, I kill them instead, and then they get all upset and I see:
"You just received a $9000 bounty" (the maximum allowable amount) :haw:

I have my mic completely muted because I'm not about to listen to some little kids shout insults. Makes the game better, just play with friends and talk on skype/mumble.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 18:24 on Apr 22, 2015

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

Best is playing with friends and a guy gets pissed enough to place a bounty on you and a friend caps you and you split the cash.

Easy money. :dance:

Makes you kind of wonder why they put such a system in to begin with. Don't they have to fork over money for the bounty?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hunky Joe posted:

Best is playing with friends and a guy gets pissed enough to place a bounty on you and a friend caps you and you split the cash.

Easy money. :dance:

Makes you kind of wonder why they put such a system in to begin with. Don't they have to fork over money for the bounty?

Yup, I just let my friends kill me if I get a bounty. Easy money and if I don't somebody else'll just get it soon anyways, who cares.

And yeah, you have to pay the money to put a bounty on somebody. And it actually costs $2000 more than the bounty ends up being (Lester's cut).

I think its intended to be an anti-griefing mechanism, but it doesn't really work very well.

The way it should work is there should be no cap on bounties and multiple players' bounties on the same person should add up, but then you only get a certain maximum of the bounty for each kill. So lets say somebody pisses everybody off, they can all put bounties on his head and it can grow and grow up to like 100,000 and then each time you kill him you get 30,000 so that way everybody goes and kills him a few times until the bounty goes away.

Problem is any system like that for anti-griefing can also be used for griefing itself.
I just don't think Rockstar cared too much, they had the idea for another silly feature to toss online so they did. :v:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

I'm playing Red Faction: Guerrilla for the first time. For the most part it's a super cool sandbox but what's really dragging it down for me is how bland Mars is. Lots and lots of brown, some rocks, and occasionally a few buildings to drive through.

There's a lot of neat things going on in this game, I just need a more vibrant world.

My assumption has always been that that was a budget and technical limitation. RFG wasn't exactly AAA to begin with, and the dynamic destruction pushed the last-gen hardware to the limit already. I distinctly remember any kind of large building going down making the 360 chug; barren landscape was probably the cost for islands of complete destructibility, something that no other game has replicated, 6 years later.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

SirPhoebos posted:

YOU DARE BESMIRCH MY GAME-WAIFU FINAL FANTASY VI??? YOU MUST DIE!! :reject:

No seriously, I have to agree and if Square-Enix made the opera scene today it would probably be mocked more than Tidus' laugh.

Probably because it would've been even crazier and involve prerendered cutscenes and ridiculous CGI effects and things that in general would not make sense in a steampunk world where the tiny bits of magic are all military in application. Like, the bouquet would turn into a glowing dove and the dove would leave sparkles in the shape of a heart before exploding into a heart, and KUTAN would be weeping goddamn waterfalls the entire scene.

And we probably wouldn't even get the crazy-rear end conductor.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

DStecks posted:

My assumption has always been that that was a budget and technical limitation. RFG wasn't exactly AAA to begin with, and the dynamic destruction pushed the last-gen hardware to the limit already. I distinctly remember any kind of large building going down making the 360 chug; barren landscape was probably the cost for islands of complete destructibility, something that no other game has replicated, 6 years later.

Armageddon did destruction quite well! And Minecraft lets you destroy anything, right?

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Armageddon did destruction quite well! And Minecraft lets you destroy anything, right?
Not with any real sort of physics apart from sand and gravel falling down if not supported from the bottom.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

You're confusing two different things, mate.

Killing other players decreases your mental state which makes you appear more red on the map and makes it clear to other players you're a player killer. Keeping your mental state high by not killing players or npcs makes you appear more passive and gives you occasional money bonuses.

Quitting from matches that have started makes you a "bad sport" and doing so over and over will get you matched with other "bad sports"

The two are independent, or at least they're independent on the PS4/Xbone/PC versions. Dunno about the original release.

You can kill other players all day every day in GTA Online. That's half the fun.

The mental state thing didn't exist with the early days of GTA Online, which was so loving awful that a lot of people stopped right there and took their impressions with them. Rockstar would instead just dump everyone who did anything the least bit untoward into Bad Sport hell.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

The mental state thing didn't exist with the early days of GTA Online, which was so loving awful that a lot of people stopped right there and took their impressions with them. Rockstar would instead just dump everyone who did anything the least bit untoward into Bad Sport hell.

Wow, that's pants-on-head stupid.

Rampages are the entire freaking point of GTA.

Glad they sorted that out.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Zaphod42 posted:

Wow, that's pants-on-head stupid.

Rampages are the entire freaking point of GTA.

Glad they sorted that out.

I seem to recall the conclusion my friends and I reached at launch was that rockstar had to learn all the rules about how online games work that everyone else figured out a decade ago.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Kaubocks posted:

I'm playing Red Faction: Guerrilla for the first time. For the most part it's a super cool sandbox but what's really dragging it down for me is how bland Mars is. Lots and lots of brown, some rocks, and occasionally a few buildings to drive through.

There's a lot of neat things going on in this game, I just need a more vibrant world.

So, Just Cause 2?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So, Just Cause 2?

I think Just Cause 2's world mixed with Mercenaries' (remember that series?) destruction would loving own.

Speaking of, Mercenaries 2: The cheevos are hella buggy and wont unlock properly. Also once the game crashed on me doing the final boss QTE

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Leal posted:

Speaking of, Mercenaries 2: The cheevos are hella buggy and wont unlock properly. Also once the game crashed on me doing the final boss QTE

Mercenaries 2 broke all the drat time and it's coding was the PYF dragging this game down.

Killing the oil platform in that game was hella fun and I can't wait for Just Cause 3

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Probably because it would've been even crazier and involve prerendered cutscenes and ridiculous CGI effects and things that in general would not make sense in a steampunk world where the tiny bits of magic are all military in application. Like, the bouquet would turn into a glowing dove and the dove would leave sparkles in the shape of a heart before exploding into a heart, and KUTAN would be weeping goddamn waterfalls the entire scene.

Or a wise-cracking purple octopus could try and kill the star by dropping a giant Looney Toons weight on her head. Or the whole thing could end with an improvised musical number that's "intentionally" bad just like the laughing scene from FFX was.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

SirPhoebos posted:

YOU DARE BESMIRCH MY GAME-WAIFU FINAL FANTASY VI??? YOU MUST DIE!! :reject:

No seriously, I have to agree and if Square-Enix made the opera scene today it would probably be mocked more than Tidus' laugh.

If that bit wasn't a leadup to the introduction of the best party member in the game, I would hate it unequivocally. I still don't know what the point of it all was, it's a complete non-sequitir that only exists so that Ultros can reappear, and Setzer gets a welcome. And it's not like Setzer couldn't have turned up in some other way; he's the Wandering Gambler, not the Wandering Opera Fan.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Cleretic posted:

If that bit wasn't a leadup to the introduction of the best party member in the game, I would hate it unequivocally. I still don't know what the point of it all was, it's a complete non-sequitir that only exists so that Ultros can reappear, and Setzer gets a welcome. And it's not like Setzer couldn't have turned up in some other way; he's the Wandering Gambler, not the Wandering Opera Fan.

I mean what's the point of anything. No time for charming little moments of humanity, we have to grease the gears of whatever gay rear end plot has been propped up like a fence made of broken pallets around the necessity of fighting monsters for 30 hours before the credits roll

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

swamp waste posted:

I mean what's the point of anything. No time for charming little moments of humanity, we have to grease the gears of whatever gay rear end plot has been propped up like a fence made of broken pallets around the necessity of fighting monsters for 30 hours before the credits roll

It's more that it's just as goofy as anything people criticize the later games for, it's just that thanks to the limits of technology (and nostalgia) it comes across as charming and fun.

If you lived in some alternate world where the Final Fantasies came out in reverse order people would be making :iceburn: about Amano's inability to design characters that aren't covered in beads and scarves and how self-indulgent and pointless it was to have a five-minute unskippable opera sequence and how trite it is to have a villain who's a clown but, get this, he's evil :aaa:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I'd like Smash 4 on 3ds more if it had a single player mode like adventure from melee.

Sleeveless posted:

It's more that it's just as goofy as anything people criticize the later games for, it's just that thanks to the limits of technology (and nostalgia) it comes across as charming and fun.

If you lived in some alternate world where the Final Fantasies came out in reverse order people would be making :iceburn: about Amano's inability to design characters that aren't covered in beads and scarves and how self-indulgent and pointless it was to have a five-minute unskippable opera sequence and how trite it is to have a villain who's a clown but, get this, he's evil :aaa:

And yet in this mirror universe FF7 would still be nostalgia bait, right in the middle. :v:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Anatharon posted:

I'd like Smash 4 on 3ds more if it had a single player mode like adventure from melee.

Apparently the reason for this is that the devs got all :qq: over people posting Brawl's cutscenes on YouTube. It's stupid.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

swamp waste posted:

I guess what gets me is that it's not just a non-sequitir, it's a slow and boring one. I get that they sort of needed a release from all the dark bits, since from about the scenario-split until the opera the only break from everything being dark and serious is Gau. As far as the story goes, we do need a nice, light-hearted break, and the Opera House comes at exactly the right time for it. Ultros is also the perfect vessel to bring it.

But did it have to be an overwrought, glorified cutscene? The whole thing gets good once Ultros turns up, and that only works if he's interrupting something serious, but why couldn't that something have involved gameplay, that mattered? I'm genuinely confused about all this, and I feel like I'm getting something wrong, because whenever people talk up the opera house scene it's always the lovely part before Ultros turns up.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The kickstarter backer NPCs in Pillars of Eternity are so bad. They included a "be in the game" tier for their kickstarter backers and apparently let the B-team from a fanfic tumblr write the descriptions.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Danger Mahoney posted:

The kickstarter backer NPCs in Pillars of Eternity are so bad. They included a "be in the game" tier for their kickstarter backers and apparently let the B-team from a fanfic tumblr write the descriptions.

I wish they had front loaded the main areas with the few good ones rather than scatter them out of the way. The ones I liked ended up being out in the corners of the towns, while the ones making text walls about lesbian thieves or obvious self inserts wielding katanas were in every single tavern. You never know if you're going to get a lovely 10 paragraph epic or a well written short glimpse into something mundane. The graveyard backer rewards were really poo poo in game too - who wants to read through lists of backer names when half of them are some lovely 420 reference or moon elf princess snowflake bullshit.

They also patched this pretty quickly but I was without internet for a month when I played it so I got to suffer through it when a specific spell would glitch out. Sometimes an enemy would cast Swarm of Insects which is a damage over time spell, and a pretty powerful one at that. If combat ended too soon or in a way it didn't agree with all my characters with it on them would suddenly get it permanently. Resting wouldn't get rid of it. Casting spells wouldn't get rid of it. Letting their health and endurance run out so they collapse and technically "die", then come back wouldn't get rid of it. I'd have to go to a save before the fight and redo it otherwise all my characters would be stuck with a swarm of wasps stinging them to death.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

They also patched this pretty quickly but I was without internet for a month when I played it so I got to suffer through it when a specific spell would glitch out. Sometimes an enemy would cast Swarm of Insects which is a damage over time spell, and a pretty powerful one at that. If combat ended too soon or in a way it didn't agree with all my characters with it on them would suddenly get it permanently. Resting wouldn't get rid of it. Casting spells wouldn't get rid of it. Letting their health and endurance run out so they collapse and technically "die", then come back wouldn't get rid of it. I'd have to go to a save before the fight and redo it otherwise all my characters would be stuck with a swarm of wasps stinging them to death.

Durance does say you will be tested.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Danger Mahoney posted:

Ehhh. I find the really bad arduous ones few and far between. Still, I agree. They should all be in the first areas and that's it.
But they aren't that bad! I found many pretty interesting.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

These dark aeons in FFX remaster can go gently caress themselves. I'll be exploring and BOOM suddenly I'm getting my poo poo kicked in by an optional boss that gets an ambush and hits for 99,999.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Anatharon posted:

At least Smash 4 has a loving normal campaign mode where you just fight one dude after another with different conditions.

For some weird reason the WiiU version of Smash is completely missing it. :psyduck: The handheld version has more features than the console version.

The console version has this other mode instead where you like dump some toys on a table and then smash your toys together to determine who to fight? Oh and there's something that's supposed to be like Mario Party in smash bros except they totally hosed it up so its completely not fun in any way.

Why they couldn't include a normal campaign to do in addition to those two oddball modes, I don't loving know, but they didn't and I really really hate it.

I guess I can just do smash mode and pick which AIs to fight myself each time, but comeon, really? All I want is the same single player mode that the freaking N64 version had. Brawl had it, Melee had it, and the new smash on handheld has it. But not the new smash on console.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Go on GTA Online, sit through tedious unskippable intro.

Do a race, quite fun, want to do another but it's time for bed. Watch another tedious unskippable cutscene before I can quit.

Go on the next day, let's play a race again, that was fun! Watch tedious unskippable cutscene railroading me into an exchange or something.

I don't want to do that, so I quit the job.

Tedious unskippable cutscene plays again and again railroads me into an exchange mission.

Jesus Christ just let me play your loving game

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Len posted:

These dark aeons in FFX remaster can go gently caress themselves. I'll be exploring and BOOM suddenly I'm getting my poo poo kicked in by an optional boss that gets an ambush and hits for 99,999.

have you hit dark Yoshimitsu yet. That guy can go eat all the dicks. ALL OF THEM.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Walton Simons posted:

Do a race, quite fun, want to do another but it's time for bed. Watch another tedious unskippable cutscene before I can quit.

Go on the next day, let's play a race again, that was fun! Watch tedious unskippable cutscene railroading me into an exchange or something.

Tedious unskippable cutscene plays again and again railroads me into an exchange mission.

Just do that mission and then you'll be free to do poo poo. Hope that helps.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Walton Simons posted:

You sure you're playing online? GTAV often kicks me into missions if I walk into the wrong thing but GTA Online I don't get any cutscenes like, ever?

I just do a race, and then I can do several races in a row with my friends and we can just vote on which to do next, or we can go back to freemode and dick around for awhile.
Never get any cutscenes at all except when doing star missions or heists.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Guess maybe that's special. I had a friend say that it seemed like the game wanted him to do the first survival mission right away and wouldn't let him do anything else until he did, but I didn't seem to have the same issue. Weird.

It is super super annoying though that if you get a cell phone call when you log in, you'll continue to get a cell phone call EVERY TIME you log into the game until you do it. How about instead you get one cell phone call only, but then if you call the person who gave you the call later on they repeat the same message? That too logical for R*?

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

You sure you're playing online? GTAV often kicks me into missions if I walk into the wrong thing but GTA Online I don't get any cutscenes like, ever?

I just do a race, and then I can do several races in a row with my friends and we can just vote on which to do next, or we can go back to freemode and dick around for awhile.
Never get any cutscenes at all except when doing star missions or heists.

Guess maybe that's special. I had a friend say that it seemed like the game wanted him to do the first survival mission right away and wouldn't let him do anything else until he did, but I didn't seem to have the same issue. Weird.

It is super super annoying though that if you get a cell phone call when you log in, you'll continue to get a cell phone call EVERY TIME you log into the game until you do it. How about instead you get one cell phone call only, but then if you call the person who gave you the call later on they repeat the same message? That too logical for R*?

I think he means the intro to online. That is a pain in the rear end tutorial I wish I could skip. Especially when it constantly crashes and glitches on me. You can't skip ANY cut scene either.

I agree with the phone thing it is almost as bad as GTA4. Worst is most of it is just stupid advertisements from Brucey or Pegasus and sometimes even if I listen to them an immediately hang up they call incessantly.

Isn't there a way to shut to off though?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Sociopastry posted:

have you hit dark Yoshimitsu yet. That guy can go eat all the dicks. ALL OF THEM.

I ran into a dark Yojimbo. He wasn't as poo poo as the Magus Sisters. First killed Lulu, second Auron, and then the third did their overdrive on Wakka who was the only person standing. He ate 7 hits at 99,999 each. Wasted a shitload of my time too because I only needed one hit to game over me but I had to watch the whole thing.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Len posted:

I ran into a dark Yojimbo. He wasn't as poo poo as the Magus Sisters. First killed Lulu, second Auron, and then the third did their overdrive on Wakka who was the only person standing. He ate 7 hits at 99,999 each. Wasted a shitload of my time too because I only needed one hit to game over me but I had to watch the whole thing.

Don't forget that the animation for the overdrive is so overdrawn and flashy, you can't even skip it to get to your game over faster.

Seriously, the thing is like a minute long: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PWhtXfTRYM

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Lizard Wizard posted:

I don't wanna :colbert:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Len posted:

Yup, I stopped the game because doing any sidequests would necessitate a ton of grinding to get past those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The Moon Monster posted:

Yup, I stopped the game because doing any sidequests would necessitate a ton of grinding to get past those things.

I'm trying to decide if I want to keep going on or just try to finish the game. If I finish it I'm going to be out of things to do since my vita memory card is the 4gb and can't fit X-2 but those optional bosses can go gently caress themselves.