Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I was at the library yesterday and read that one of the first known political cartoons depicts Martin Luther's head being played by Satan like a bagpipe. A literal instrument of Satan :v:

But I didn't think to take a photo of it, and I can't find it online :saddowns:

Pretty sure every pupil in Germany (or Bavaria at least :v:) has seen it at least once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

HEY GAL posted:

goon project: kidnap a child for moralehazard

:3: Awwww..... I'm touched.

Keromaru5 posted:

Or borrow from Batman, and go to the circus until some trapeze kid's parents die.

I mostly know VD as That Guy Who Got Kicked Out of the SFWA for Being a Belligerent Racist and then Hijacked the Hugo Awards. I don't think he's Catholic, but one of the authors at his publishing house -- John C. Wright -- sure is. From what I've seen, he's more Catholic than the Pope, Opus Dei, and Bill Donohue combined.

There are people who deliberately hold the most extreme views as some sort of badge of honor or vie for attention. Either that or it's some sort of psychological urge that in order to be X one has to be EXTREME in order to have any credibility as X.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

System Metternich posted:

Pretty sure every pupil in Germany (or Bavaria at least :v:) has seen it at least once.

my favorite part of this is satan's genital-face with a combination feather dick and vagina dentata

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

my favorite part of this is satan's genital-face with a combination feather dick and vagina dentata

Pro-Lutheran propaganda wasn't exactly subtle either :v:

(dat perspective)

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
How should a christian approach the subject of surrogate mothers ( women who rent out their wombs to a infertile couple)? This results in a child with three parents. The father, the birth mother and the genetic mother. The dominant view among christians where i live is that is not cool and very wrong. Firstly because it`s not what god wants since it has alway been the case until now that the genetic mother and birth mother are the same person. I am not convinced by this , if god did not want to us to do freaky science stuff he would have made us dumber.

Secondly because this way of making babies deprives the child of one it`s parents since the law will only allow for two legal parents, one either has to deny parental rigths to the Genetic mother or the birth mother. This argument has some weigth . But i dont see how it is backed up by anything more than a gut feeling. Is there a christian theological argument to be made in favor of or in opposition to surrogate mothers?

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Baudolino posted:

How should a christian approach the subject of surrogate mothers ( women who rent out their wombs to a infertile couple)? This results in a child with three parents. The father, the birth mother and the genetic mother. The dominant view among christians where i live is that is not cool and very wrong. Firstly because it`s not what god wants since it has alway been the case until now that the genetic mother and birth mother are the same person. I am not convinced by this , if god did not want to us to do freaky science stuff he would have made us dumber.

Secondly because this way of making babies deprives the child of one it`s parents since the law will only allow for two legal parents, one either has to deny parental rigths to the Genetic mother or the birth mother. This argument has some weigth . But i dont see how it is backed up by anything more than a gut feeling. Is there a christian theological argument to be made in favor of or in opposition to surrogate mothers?

The Catholic argument is that, just like fertility should not be intentionally excluded from intercourse, intercourse should not be excluded from conception. The Catholic Church opposes even intrauterine insemination with semen collected from the woman's husband, and that doesn't have to involve "freaky science stuff"; it'd be possible in any civilization that had the technology to invent condoms and turkey basters.

There's an additional complication with surrogacy, though: it necessarily involves in vitro fertilization (because it's embryos that are introduced to the surrogate's uterus, not separated sperm and ova) and I don't think it's ever the case that only one ovum is fertilized at a time, meaning that some zygotes are never implanted. The Catholic Church believes that each and every embryo is already a person, even though any embryo young enough to be implanted as part of IVF is also too young to do more than take in nutrition and continue to grow, so deliberately causing people to come into being who will either be allowed to die or be destroyed for 'research' is not acceptable. (Neither is it acceptable to implant multiple embryos because some of them will probably die rather than successfully implant; that means that multiple people have been conceived but only the ones who eventually survive 'matter'.)

Mishakaz
Sep 22, 2004
That Russian Guy
Russian Orthodox (ROCOR) checking in. Sorry I'm late!

I'm gonna scour the thread and see what I can add to this, but feel free to add me to the registry or whatever.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mishakaz posted:

I'm gonna scour the thread and see what I can add to this, but feel free to add me to the registry or whatever.
Eh, I stopped doing that a while ago because I don't think anyone really cares all that much. Welcome to the thread though.

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.

Mishakaz posted:

Russian Orthodox (ROCOR) checking in. Sorry I'm late!

Hey I know this guy :toot:

quote:

Such pretty blue vestments.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
The bishop has listened to our priest when he has kept saying that he's too old to be the sole priest at three parishes 80 miles apart, and he's being replaced by someone slightly younger. Is this an issue where any of you are at, or is it mostly just a rural west thing?

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

Mr. Wiggles posted:

The bishop has listened to our priest when he has kept saying that he's too old to be the sole priest at three parishes 80 miles apart, and he's being replaced by someone slightly younger. Is this an issue where any of you are at, or is it mostly just a rural west thing?

Northern Illinois is about 2 priests per parish.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Here in rural Germany and Austria (and I suspect elsewhere in Europe as well) this has been the norm for decades. While I've never heard of the parishes being 80 miles apart, it isn't uncommon for priests to care for three, four and in rare cases even five parishes. I remember a friend of mine who comes from the Vulkaneifel region in western Germany telling me that near her hometown there was a priest caring for five parishes with I think 17 villages altogether. The church authorities tried to account for the lack of priests either by appointing priests to several parishes at once or (and I think this has become somewhat of a trend recently) by fusing several parishes to one larger pastoral unit which is cared for by several priests at once(as well as continuously strengthening the role of the laity, because being the sole person responsible for the spiritual care of thousands of people as well as managing the financial affairs of several parishes at once has to suck pretty hard).

Note that this is highly controversial, of course. This will happen in Vienna as well (Cardinal Schönborn has set the goal at 2022 iirc), and there are lots of people in the parish councils who don't like it one bit. Which wouldn't be too bad in itself, but sadly those people all too often won't offer any viable alternative except "things are supposed to the stay the way I grew up with forever!" :sigh:

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Note that this is highly controversial, of course. This will happen in Vienna as well (Cardinal Schönborn has set the goal at 2022 iirc), and there are lots of people in the parish councils who don't like it one bit. Which wouldn't be too bad in itself, but sadly those people all too often won't offer any viable alternative except "things are supposed to the stay the way I grew up with forever!" :sigh:

Then they can join Trad parishes or threaten to bring in the SSPX :smuggo:

Realtalk, the village parish has gone the way of the village, for better or worse. Priests have to be concentrated where the faithful are.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
How large are your parishes if you have one priest managing multiple? Here in Finland it's in the church law that every parish has to have a vicar and a deacon, at least. I think a church musician, too.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

The primary parish, where I live and am the chorus master/cantor, has a regular attendance of about 600 on a weekend, over three masses. At another parish where our priest serves, there are about 60 people on a weekend, and then at the other it's about 30-40. No deacons.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Valiantman posted:

How large are your parishes if you have one priest managing multiple? Here in Finland it's in the church law that every parish has to have a vicar and a deacon, at least. I think a church musician, too.

Theoretically the same goes for the Catholic Church, but there's nothing stoping a single priest from managing multiple parishes at once. My grandmother's parish forms part of a "parish community" consisting of four parishes. In 2010 there were 5026 Catholics (1862, 710, 658 and 1796 respectively) of which about 900 would regularly attend mass, which comes up at about 18 percent. They are cared for by two "main" priests and one priest who is already retired but still cares for one of the parishes, making work easier for the other two. I think that in the meantime another parish has been added to that, but I can't find any data for it.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Got to love the shortage of vocations, especially when everyone has their own idea as to why there is a shortage. I've heard people say it is because the Church is too traditionalist and other people say that it's because the Church isn't traditionalist enough. I personally blame student loan debt, at least in the US. Students go to a college affiliated with the Church to prepare themselves to serve the Church, only to be turned away because they had to borrow money in order to study.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We have a number of young priests from Latin America who have thankfully come to serve in our diocese, but not enough in number and not enough with the English skills to be able to effectively serve as pastor in many parishes.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Mr. Wiggles posted:

We have a number of young priests from Latin America who have thankfully come to serve in our diocese, but not enough in number and not enough with the English skills to be able to effectively serve as pastor in many parishes.

Here in Germany & Austria it seems to be mostly Polish, Indian and Nigerian priests who are called to help out. Especially the former often represent a very staunchly conservative Catholicism, which sometimes leads to a lot of fraction when they arrive in more liberal parishes. The language divide doesn't help, either.

Konstantin posted:

Got to love the shortage of vocations, especially when everyone has their own idea as to why there is a shortage. I've heard people say it is because the Church is too traditionalist and other people say that it's because the Church isn't traditionalist enough. I personally blame student loan debt, at least in the US. Students go to a college affiliated with the Church to prepare themselves to serve the Church, only to be turned away because they had to borrow money in order to study.

I once found an interesting article about that which argued that the reason that more traditionalist parishes, dioceses and orders see more vocations ist the following: you can see the decision of becoming a priest as a decision between several advantages and several drawbacks. The advantages are (or were) an elevated social standing in your community as well as the belief that ordination would put you closer to God than it would be possibly as a layperson. The drawbacks were celibacy and the obedience duty to your bishop. While Vatican II mostly stripped away the theologically special position of a priest and the secularisation of society pulled priests off their pedestal, the drawbacks remained - therefore, vocations are strongest in communities where being a priest still "counts for something", so to speak. The article tried to back its thesis by referring to several examples like Franquist Spain (where the dictatorship prevented the implementation of Vatican II decisions until its end in 1975 which corresponded to a remarkable delay in a dwindling of vocations, which other and more liberal countries apparently had observed much earlier). I can't say that I support the thesis 100% - it seems to me that (at least in my recollection of it) it paid too little attention to the general secularisation of society which in some way or the other has been in process since the Enlightenment at least. I'll see if I can find it again, in any case it was an interesting read.

e: Okay, that was easy. Rodney Stark/Roger Finke: Catholic Religious Vocations: Decline and Revival, Review of Religious Research 42, No.2. (Dec. 2000), pp. 125-45. I even found a scan online!

e2: I have no idea how to do an MLA citation, in case you couldn't tell :v:

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 21, 2015

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."
Also, the traditional demographic for the priesthood is drying up, or rather, going elsewhere. The priesthood has long been the traditional path for gay Roman Catholic men, particularly those who were serious enough about their faith that they wouldn't want to break the prohibitions against sex between men anyway. There are a lot fewer of those these days, particularly in countries where gay rights have made strong progress. Even the kids in rural, deeply conservative areas grow up knowing that they have options other than lifelong celibacy if they can just get away. I once had the pleasure of spending an afternoon with a woman who had been an officially-sanctioned minister to the New York LGBT community in the 70s and 80s during the early AIDS crisis, and who was one of the people involved in the formation of the New York chapter of Dignity. At the time that she was ministering, she knew for a fact that over 70% of the priests in New York were gay or bisexual. Especially in a place like New York, those kinds of numbers just won't happen anymore.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Bel_Canto posted:

At the time that she was ministering, she knew for a fact that over 70% of the priests in New York were gay or bisexual.

So she went around to every Catholic church in New York with her trusty gaydar device, eh? :laffo:

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 22, 2015

PantlessBadger
May 7, 2008
Beyond the obvious gaydar joke, that would suggest 70% of the priesthood did not discern a true calling to the priesthood but found it to be the simplest way to live a celibate lifestyle. That's pretty distressing.

Wouldn't it make more sense to suggest cultural values were at play in terms of Cold War politics and anti-communism, leading to a stronger cultural role for Christianity in the West without necessarily meaning a deeper faith? Again this discounts discernment of a true calling to Holy Orders.

Last thought is celibacy doesn't seem to be a defining characteristic of the decline of the priesthood since it seems to be reflected in other Christian traditions which do not enforce a discipline of clerical celibacy.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

PantlessBadger posted:

Beyond the obvious gaydar joke, that would suggest 70% of the priesthood did not discern a true calling to the priesthood but found it to be the simplest way to live a celibate lifestyle. That's pretty distressing.

It would be pretty distressing, yes. If it were true, that is. And it isn't true, of course, because the idea of this woman keeping a ledger of every priest in New York and meticulously documenting the ones who are so totally gay is one of the most laughable church story anecdotes I've ever heard.

PantlessBadger
May 7, 2008
It also sounds entirely like something you would hear mentioned at the council of the general synod here or at General Convention in the US.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

Lutha Mahtin posted:

It would be pretty distressing, yes. If it were true, that is. And it isn't true, of course, because the idea of this woman keeping a ledger of every priest in New York and meticulously documenting the ones who are so totally gay is one of the most laughable church story anecdotes I've ever heard.

Or it would imply that in ministering to the New York LGBT Catholic community she met a very large number of priests personally in that context, which I'm pretty sure is what actually happened. I mean she could still be wildly off, but there are much easier explanations that "going around to parishes," particularly in light of the very confusing time for LGBT Catholics that was the 70's and mid-80's.

Bel_Canto fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Apr 23, 2015

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
In ministering to LGBT Catholics, I've found a fuckload of LGBT Catholics :prepop:

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I'm not so sure that 70% of all Catholic priests in NYC in the 70s-80s were gay, that seems a bit high

Always be skeptical towards conspicuous statistics

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Apr 23, 2015

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
You know 40% of all statistics are made up on the spot, right?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Bel_Canto posted:

Or it would imply that in ministering to the New York LGBT Catholic community she met a very large number of priests personally in that context, which I'm pretty sure is what actually happened.

This isn't what you said, though. You said that this woman knew for a fact that 70% of all Catholic priests in New York were gay. And I simply pointed out the ludicrousness of this statement by showing how such a claim would have to be actually verified. But by all means, go ahead and backpedal into whatever ill defined argument you're trying to make here.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Lutha Mahtin posted:

This isn't what you said, though. You said that this woman knew for a fact that 70% of all Catholic priests in New York were gay. And I simply pointed out the ludicrousness of this statement by showing how such a claim would have to be actually verified. But by all means, go ahead and backpedal into whatever ill defined argument you're trying to make here.

Aside from the dubious statistic, I do there's a lot of truth in the idea that gay Christians have been drawn to the notion of clerical celibacy. It's certainly true in Anglicanism.
Forward in Faith has pretty much collapsed as gay clergy realise they don't have to sign up to conservative Anglo-Catholicism just to justify not being in a heterosexual marriage.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
There is also the absence of cultural pressure along the lines of "Someone from this family is going to be a priest!" which I guess could be put under general secularization trends.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

That's just wonderful.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Took my first catechism class today. This week we got a rundown of the history of the Church; next week we're starting on the Creeds. No idea how long this is going to take, but I'm looking forward to it.

Also picked up a nice Transfiguration icon.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So has anyone here wrote a letter to Francis numero Uno yet?
He just migth call back to thank you.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Baudolino posted:

You think if I ask him to reunite with the orthodox church he would

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 5, 2015

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Smoking Crow posted:

You think of I ask him to reunite with the orthodox church he would

put a cute emoji in it like ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ or (✿◠‿◠)

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Baudolino posted:

like, on the phone?

brb writin a letter

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I know he called up a lady in South America who was raped and told her he was praying for her

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

like, on the phone?

brb writin a letter

If it doesn't have 95 theses in one form or another you have failed in your Christian duty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Smoking Crow posted:

I know he called up a lady in South America who was raped and told her he was praying for her
this pope owns

• Locked thread