Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

We need a "post your scrambled eggs" thread
I tried that once, but the envelope got soggy and now my postman doesn't speak to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah my point isn't about sullying eggs with corn starch but that it takes two or three minutes to scramble them already. This seems like it's for the same kind of person that they invented microwave Minute Rice for, because a a minute was just too loving long.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yeah my point isn't about sullying eggs with corn starch but that it takes two or three minutes to scramble them already. This seems like it's for the same kind of person that they invented microwave Minute Rice for, because a a minute was just too loving long.

I've never been able to get them to the right texture using enough heat to get them cooked in 2-3 minutes, it always takes 10-15 for me or I use more heat and they set way too fast and they are not all creamy.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
The texture of eggs scrambled in 2 minutes is hard and rubbery. Bleh. If I can get creamy shirred style eggs in less than 20 minutes, I'm psyched. I plan to try this and I am perplexed at how gws is not bugging about it.

Minute rice is poo poo, and so are eggs scrambled in 2 minutes.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Anyone have recommendations for infusing water for a bit of flavor? It's hard to navigate around that poo poo since hippies like to claim that their infusions cure cancer and give your laser vision.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Elderbean posted:

Anyone have recommendations for infusing water for a bit of flavor? It's hard to navigate around that poo poo since hippies like to claim that their infusions cure cancer and give your laser vision.

Lemon. Simple, easy, refreshing.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Yeah it's not that you can't scramble an egg in a few minutes (without corn starch, anyway, never tried that), it's that you can't make really good ones that fast.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Yeah, well I can do perfect scrambled eggs in 40 seconds

:smug:

It's actually a legit good method. Especially when you wanna do eggs for a lot of people, cuz you can just use a big pot to keep the water at temp and get like 10 people's eggs done perfectly with little effort.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Casu Marzu posted:

Yeah, well I can do perfect scrambled eggs in 40 seconds

:smug:

It's actually a legit good method. Especially when you wanna do eggs for a lot of people, cuz you can just use a big pot to keep the water at temp and get like 10 people's eggs done perfectly with little effort.

Those don't look like they would come out creamy like good scrambled eggs should be.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

They're super fluffy and delicious, like good (non creamy-style) eggs should be.

Edit: I love me some creamy eggs, but I also love the fluffy, light american-style scrambled egg too. Especially since you can do this in a sake/soy/sugar/vinegar broth and have an interesting take on tamago.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 23, 2015

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

guppy posted:

Yeah it's not that you can't scramble an egg in a few minutes (without corn starch, anyway, never tried that), it's that you can't make really good ones that fast.

This while egg discussion is really stupid, but to say you can't make good eggs quickly is just wrong.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I've been boiling eggs recently.

I wonder if I can use something other than water.

Like some sort of meaty stock.

Then I'd have an egg that tastes like beef.

That'd be neat.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
You can marinate eggs, but i think it takes a while for the flavors to penetrate the white:
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/03/ajitsuke-tamago-japanese-marinated-soft-boiled-egg-recipe.html

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

You can marinate eggs, but i think it takes a while for the flavors to penetrate the white:
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/03/ajitsuke-tamago-japanese-marinated-soft-boiled-egg-recipe.html

I will eat these every day until I die from bliss. You're a wonderful enabler. Thank you for your kindness.

edit: I... This has never happened to me before...

help please.

Edit edit: Nevermind, just had to refresh. How strange. I thought I was a goner for sure.

BattleCattle fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 23, 2015

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9r-CxnCXkg

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

he salts all his eggs before cooking which, depending on your philosophies, is bad.

I think we've hit all the major egg sperg points now.

except maybe cream/creme fraiche/crema or milk, and adding it before or during cooking, that's another one.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 23, 2015

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

GrAviTy84 posted:

he salts all his eggs before cooking which, depending on your philosophies, is bad.
Yeah you probably shouldn't do that, but the rest is pretty solid.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I generally cut out the salt in what I make, since I take in quite enough of it by eating normally. Water weight is the worst.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

I think we've hit all the major egg sperg points now.

obligatory "DONT CRACK YOUR EGGS ON THE RIM OF A BOWL CAUSE :can:" post

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BattleCattle posted:

I generally cut out the salt in what I make, since I take in quite enough of it by eating normally.

Yeah but flavor

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
I like a 2-3 American scrambled egg when done well and I also like the longer cooked lower heat French style, this cornstarch trick just seems like a thing to get closer to the French version more quickly. I bet it'd be really good used to do Chinese stir-fried tomato and egg too.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I like to finish with a coarse finishing salt like a maldon or fleur. Crunchy salty bits on a creamy egg, unf

edit:
Goons With Spoons › The General Questions thread - a treatise on the morality of eggs and corn handling.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 23, 2015

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I partially lied. I am actually half slug.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Elderbean posted:

Cucumber water! Just drop a few slices of cucumber in a jar of water, it's surprisingly simple and refreshing.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Poached eggs are better anyway.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Elderbean posted:

Well, it's not an infusion per se, but it's pretty nice. Add a little apple cider vinegar.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

GrAviTy84 posted:

I like to finish with a coarse finishing salt like a maldon or fleur. Crunchy salty bits on a creamy egg, unf

edit:
Goons With Spoons › The General Questions thread - a treatise on the morality of eggs and corn handling.

Goons With Spoons › The General Questions thread - for quick questions, recipe requests, help. BUT NOT TOO QUICK, QUESTIONS CAN'T BE TOO TOO QUICK OR THEY WON'T BE AS GOOD

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I've heard of sour grapes... But bitter eggs!?!

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

This whole discussion was worth it for posting this link. You are the best. I inhale these eggs whenever I go to Santouka.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

Is there a specific reason for this? I typically do over easy eggs, so they get a bit of salt on each side. Sometime I sprinkle it on the uncooked side prior to flipping.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Eeyo posted:

Is there a specific reason for this? I typically do over easy eggs, so they get a bit of salt on each side. Sometime I sprinkle it on the uncooked side prior to flipping.

You begin to denature the proteins so if you have aspergers this means you ruined the eggs. (You actually are beginning to denature the proteins but they're fine)

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Croatoan posted:

You begin to denature the proteins so if you have aspergers this means you ruined the eggs. (You actually are beginning to denature the proteins but they're fine)

Cooking the eggs denatures them anyway so whats the problem?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

goodness posted:

Cooking the eggs denatures them anyway so whats the problem?

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Hey anyone got some good recipes for food that can stay in a backpack for like 8 hours or so before eating without going bad/soggy/south. and preferably good granola or other high protein snacks that would be good to carry in a baggy for when I am needing a pick me up.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't really have a recipe but something I like to do for hiking trips is mash up dates into balls and roll them into some finely chopped nuts, sunflower seeds, and coat with toasted flaked coconut. Let them sit in the fridge overnight to harden up a little, then take them out on the trail the next day for a nice high energy snack.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I spend about 2-3 minutes frying my eggs and eat them with the yolks runny which is the superior method if you are in a hurry. :smug:

(Creamy scrambled eggs own though, always do the Ramsay / Child method for those myself).

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx
Will chunks of meat( cut up pork picnic roast with the skin/fat cap removed) cook safely on top of potatoes and onions in a slow cooker? I filled it 2/3rds onions/potatoes/garlic and then the last 1/3 is filled with big chunks of pork. I cut up and froze the skin/fat cap to use for beans and split peas through the month.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

I don't really have a recipe but something I like to do for hiking trips is mash up dates into balls and roll them into some finely chopped nuts, sunflower seeds, and coat with toasted flaked coconut. Let them sit in the fridge overnight to harden up a little, then take them out on the trail the next day for a nice high energy snack.

I am going on a bike tour that's why I was looking for stuff that can last, I don't really want to go MRE if I can.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Senior Scarybagels posted:

Hey anyone got some good recipes for food that can stay in a backpack for like 8 hours or so before eating without going bad/soggy/south. and preferably good granola or other high protein snacks that would be good to carry in a baggy for when I am needing a pick me up.

My dad likes sesame seeds and honey. It's fast energy, doesn't spoil easily, and you can mix it anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Senior Scarybagels posted:

I am going on a bike tour that's why I was looking for stuff that can last, I don't really want to go MRE if I can.
Traditional dry sausage or cured bacon. Hard cheeses. Dry bread.