Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Environmental Station Alpha was released today. I've played about four hours total and it's an amazing metroidvania style game. Very good music. Highly recommend a controller though, I tried keyboard initially and that just wasn't working for me. There's also a demo if you want to give it a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Yeah I'm gonna try both the ESA demo and the Not a Hero demo. ESA's calculator-resolution aesthetic really clicks for me (I loved Hero Core which was another Metroidy calculator-res game).

I'm absolutely fine with pixel art, IF it's aesthetically pleasing, which for a lot of games it isn't

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Fun Times! posted:

I like them. Waiting for Gat Out of Hell to get a sale.
Too bad you missed Gamestop's preorder mis-listing. 75% off Gat out of Hell before it even come out? I'll take two!

gibbed posted:

Environmental Station Alpha was released today. I've played about four hours total and it's an amazing metroidvania style game.
poo poo, isn't there some goon involved with ESA too? I seem to recall someone posting something that looked a lot like it a couple months ago in the gamedev thread and mentioned it was coming out on Apr 22.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 23, 2015

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

poo poo, isn't there some goon involved with ESA too? I seem to recall someone posting something that looked a lot like it a couple months ago in the gamedev thread and mentioned it was coming out on Apr 22.
Yup! That'd be Hempuli.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I don't think there's a thread for Life is Strange, or if there is it's buried super deep. I just started playing and had a question:
Assuming I stay in one map area, can I always rewind to undo an action, or can I ever spend so much time wandering around looking at posters and poo poo that it's too late to rewind past something I did?

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 23, 2015

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I found the Not A Hero demo pretty fun, the voicework was pretty funny and the gunplay felt good.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Fun Times! posted:

A couple weeks ago I played through Saints Row 2 for the first time, Monday I beat Saints Row The Third and I'm 6 hours into SR4 at the moment. Here are my reviews of each.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=420189041
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=429639077
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=430059364

I like them. Waiting for Gat Out of Hell to get a sale.
Errr, nevermind; I need to read fully and see that's one of the few things on there that requires being in Brazil.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 23, 2015

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Did you miss the giant text saying "region locked outside of Brazil"?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

LibbyM posted:

I don't think there's a thread for Life is Strange, or if there is it's buried super deep. I just started playing and had a question:
Assuming I stay in one map area, can I always rewind to undo an action, or can I ever spend so much time wandering around looking at posters and poo poo that it's too late to rewind past something I did?
There's a limit, its not super limited but it doesn't go back ten minutes or anything like that.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

sarmhan posted:

Did you miss the giant text saying "region locked outside of Brazil"?

Sure you don't mean India?

Life is Strange is pretty cool, y'all.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I just finished the demo for Ronin and I was really not digging it. The control scheme just feels really awkward and doesn't flow as well as Gunpoint.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Rookersh posted:

I dunno, the "well, that's another story actually." makes me think this is more of a quick "get the series back in the market again, get some funds together to get a real Overlord game built" style game then anything.
Damage control is saying we should wait for more info tomorrow. It might be some underwhelming side story to bring attention.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ok, i'm way more likely to buy Environmental Station Alpha after playing the demo. It nails the Metroid feel real well. Almost too on the nose. Jumping is slightly floaty but the character has pretty solid weight to it. And the super lo-res aesthetic is cool. Well that's my story, see ya

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Apparently, Glenn Beck isn't the only one who thinks SA is front for a villainous shadow cabal :confused:

buy dragon game on friday

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Internet blames SA for a lot of stuff, probably because of EVE if I had to guess.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

The fact its being curated by the Anime Butt league(USA) is highly suspicious

Orv
May 4, 2011
Thread title if ever I saw one.

Steam Thread: The Anime Butt league(USA) is highly suspicious

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
The only curator worth following tbh

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

Internet blames SA for a lot of stuff, probably because of EVE if I had to guess.

It is. People on the internet hate goons in any form of online interaction because goons did stuff in Eve. Even if the person in question hasn't played Eve. I'm sure I've once read someone literally say "Well I didn't experience it but I heard in Eve goon players blah blah".

I'm having some serious deja vu here.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

The White Dragon posted:

buy dragon game on friday
Your game was in a bundle already? :colbert:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Gotta wait until it's 95% or more off, sorry TWD

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Shima Honnou posted:

I used to play L4D 2 with a guy until he saw I was in the SA steam group, and assumed all goons were part of Goonswarm.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Shima Honnou posted:

Gotta wait until it's 95% or more off, sorry TWD

75% off, don't be cheap

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Shima Honnou posted:

The only curator worth following tbh

Hey, the one that finds all the skull based games is good too.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I think he vanished, because he didn't add Dokuro. :(

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Got a lot more play time out of the first episode of Life is Strange than I was expecting. Granted a lot of that playtime was exploring and looking at every little poster and stuff but still, I probably got twice the time out of that atleast than I get playing the TellTale episodic games in a similar fashion. Is Episode 2 similar in length to episode 1?

Edit: Wow my foil Life is Strange card starts at 2.12 dollars on the market. Do people still care enough about cards to pay that much for one just cause it's foil? Buy orders are 1.46 which still feels silly.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Apr 23, 2015

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

StrixNebulosa posted:

75% off, don't be cheap

If you pretend it costs $20, it'll have a 75% discount at launch :v:

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 23, 2015

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
So I bought two games recently, as they were mentioned here in the thread somewhere and I thought they sounded up my alley.

Out There is a game where you fly through randomly generated space (with a map that kind of reminds me of FTL) and go from star to star on your quest to return to Earth or something. You have a ship that has a limited number of 'slots', each of which can store either equipment or goods. Goods range from the critically-necessary (oxygen, fuel, and iron to repair your ship's hull) to elements that can be used to repair or build new equipment. There's technology you randomly get to build equipment, like telescopes to see basic (and later, in-depth) stats on the stars you might want to travel to, shield gens (plus upgrades), probes, and other stuff that I haven't found yet. The planets you visit so far seem to fall into three types: ones that have metals, so you land on them and drill for iron and other elements; gas giants that you can gain fuel from by orbiting and sending a probe in; and "Garden" planets which you can land on and which have oxygen, metals you can drill, and sometimes native life that you can encounter to get techs or other stuff from. There are also different stars types (yellow, blue, red dwarfs, supernovas etc) that probably influence what planets are found there. There are random events, like meteor storms, minefield star systems, derelict ships you may be able to take over (my first game I managed to upgrade to a ship that had a few more slots and some crazy alien tech). The game basically amounts to: jump to the next star, mine for ores, probe for more fuel, maybe visit a garden planet or other stuff if it's there, repeat. My first game I ran out of fuel and was unable to mine more from a gas giant (I guess I scooped up all the helium the gas giant had!) and then had to give up. It's neat, but I don't know what the long-term gameplay will be, seems it will get pretty boring as ultimately there's not many choices to make other than "pick a star" and then "decide which planets to visit to land on/probe". Also, there are a lot of elements (copper, gold, iron, hydrogen, helium, oxygen, and more) so you end up trying to decide which ones to keep in the hopes that a future tech (that you may or may not randomly find) will need that specific element.

Cosmonautica is an early-access game where you start with a space ship with limited slots and outfit it with facilities and crew, then travel around trading goods, moving people/goods/fighting for missions, or just go hunt pirates I guess... haven't gone down that road yet. You hire crew and research new stuff like bigger crew cabins, weapons, recreational facilities, etc. as well as researching to unlock outer rings of a solar system, more solar systems, etc. It's pretty neat so far, but I think it will also end up fairly light on gameplay so won't be something long-term. I've played for a few hours and trading basically comes down to "buy the most expensive thing" and "go elsewhere to sell it". The AI doesn't really do a good job distributing goods, so it doesn't seem like you can make a specific planet really strong at producing a good that's in high-demand, so often you will buy out the entire supply of goods. Traveling between stars is not exciting, you point and the ship flies, and you can watch your crew live on the ship (according to a four-shift schedule you set for each crew member) but other than occasional random events (pick up this floating probe? yes/no) you just hit fast-forward and wait to reach the destination. You can upgrade your ship, I did, now I have loads of room to haul junk but due to the issues mentioned there's not that much worthwhile junk to haul. Maybe if I optimize a route or whatever I can make better use of my time but it doesn't seem worthwhile. You also only get one ship, so can't really set up your own supply chain unless you do all of the hauling yourself. Overall it seems like it could be fun, haven't tried other ways of playing, but until the economy is fixed it will remain fairly shallow. Also, it's buggy and crashes pretty regularly.

So I guess these may get better, but unless you see videos and are in for kind of light gaming, wait a while to see how these shape up.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

LibbyM posted:

Got a lot more play time out of the first episode of Life is Strange than I was expecting. Granted a lot of that playtime was exploring and looking at every little poster and stuff but still, I probably got twice the time out of that atleast than I get playing the TellTale episodic games in a similar fashion. Is Episode 2 similar in length to episode 1?
I just finished Episode 2 last night and it took me about the same amount of time as the first one, two-and-a-half hours or so.

And since I saw you mention looking for a thread earlier, here it is if you want to read some of the discussions.

It's a great game so far, I hope they can keep the quality up through the rest of the season.

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Sleeveless posted:

I liked how they collected people's in-game political and diplomatic choices and then published the results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdeOvdAgko8

Most people voted no to genetically modified super soldiers? Shameful.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I cant believe 'Ban all video games' wasnt 100% yes.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I like that gamers are equally divided on only two subjects - whether the state should employ torture, and whether children should be taught to smoke.

The latter especially since most of them support government healthcare.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
If you don't teach kids to smoke, they'll be led astray and start using vaporizer like a bunch of hipsters.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

New Concept Hole posted:

If you don't teach kids to smoke, they'll be led astray and start using vaporizer like a bunch of hipsters.

Exactly! It's Harm Reduction. Just ask TCC!

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
Whenever someone talks about vaporizers I still think less 'hipsters' and more 'sci-fi villains'. Why'd they have to use that name for something so LAME.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

The Iron Rose posted:

Exactly! It's Harm Reduction. Just ask TCC!

I can see how those votes would turn out...

100% of users voted in favor of having a crack party with children in the house

100% of users voted to open up trade with Russian chemical run-off suppliers

100% of users opted to have their arm removed after passing out on top of it over the weekend

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

There was discussion a few days ago, but we've seen a lot of indie platformers in the past few years. What are the absolute best? You can justify that however you like, I'm just looking the reap the cream of the crop.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

HardDisk posted:

Life is Strange is pretty cool, y'all.

Is the lipsync in Ep2 as bad as it was in Ep1?

Still a great game but goddamn it was like watching an old Godzilla movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

razorrozar posted:

Is the lipsync in Ep2 as bad as it was in Ep1?

Still a great game but goddamn it was like watching an old Godzilla movie.

It's still a bit lip-flappy, but definitely better.

• Locked thread