Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Shot from about 650' over my lunch hour the other day. Got it up to about 750' after that but ran out of time and couldn't try anything higher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Would it be irresponsible to use a drone on a waypoint/flight path based system totally unattended?

Say, set a flight path above a race track while me and my buddies do laps?

It'd be flying either around the outskirts or just sorta floating and rotating above the infield so if it had a failure and decided to drop like a stone it shouldnt land on the track.

right?

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

slidebite posted:

Shot from about 650' over my lunch hour the other day. Got it up to about 750' after that but ran out of time and couldn't try anything higher.

Not to be a nag but assuming you're in the U.S., the FAA requires that you stay below 400'.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
are there people in the stands, and are your buddies ok with it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Astronaut Jones posted:

Not to be a nag but assuming you're in the U.S., the FAA requires that you stay below 400'.
No I am not in the US.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

A Yolo Wizard posted:

are there people in the stands, and are your buddies ok with it.

no audience, just other people there for track days/admin/marshalling.

Obviously I'd clear it with the operators first, I was more thinking of the 'drone etiquette' perspective.

I mean, a RTF unit like the Hubsan X4 pro or a DJI is reasonably reliable for semi-autonomous flight, yeah?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Laserface posted:

Would it be irresponsible to use a drone on a waypoint/flight path based system totally unattended?

Say, set a flight path above a race track while me and my buddies do laps?

It'd be flying either around the outskirts or just sorta floating and rotating above the infield so if it had a failure and decided to drop like a stone it shouldnt land on the track.

right?

Yes, 100% irresponsible.

There is all kinds of poo poo that could very plausibly go wrong and cause an unsafe situation.

Battery runs low and aircraft decides to RTH, only now there is a person/car/dog/whatever where you took off.

Compass gets hosed up and aircraft toilette bowls into the track.

Cloud cover+flight path puts the aircraft in an area where GPS reception is poor and it wanders way off course.

Some idiot cowboy in a 172 decides to buzz where you are flying and doesn't see your aircraft.

These are all things that have happened to me while flying. All of them could have or would have been unsafe and possibly caused injury or property damage if I didn't have the transmitter.

Neither the general public nor the flight controllers in our aircraft are smart enough to make this a safe proposition yet.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
The Hubsan certainly can. But with DJI I'd want to check if your location has been added to the do-not-fly list. Is your track within 10km of any airports?

I've a CX-20 arriving soon and apparantly I haven't spent enough money yet so I'm looking at camera/gimbals.

http://www.banggood.com/FPV-14-Sony-700TVL-HD-Zoom-Camera-For-1_2G5_8G-Telemetry-p-935033.html

Does anyone make gimbals for formfactors other than gopro/ilook?

phorge
Jan 10, 2001
I got banned for not reading the Leper Colony. Thanks OMGWTFBBQ!

Coxswain Balls posted:

You should be able to fix that with some Gorilla Glue and maybe some boiling water if there's any crush damage.
It ripped the fuselage in half in a fairly gnarly way and there are a few chunks of foam missing. I don't think it can be repaired, but maybe it can.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

phorge posted:

It ripped the fuselage in half in a fairly gnarly way and there are a few chunks of foam missing. I don't think it can be repaired, but maybe it can.

You'd be surprised with what you can do with Gorilla Glue. As it cures, it expands into a foam-like mass, so you can fill in gaps of missing fuselage with a bit of tape, toothpicks and creativity. My Calypso's fuselage has been ripped in half multiple times now, and I think it's more Gorilla Glue than foam now.

Why yes, my trim settings are all weird to keep it flying straight. Still gets airborne, though!

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
i would hope this means dji has vastly improved their customer service and repair system (probably not)

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Am I to interpret that as the guts of phantoms have gone 100% integrated?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Yeah. ESCs integrated into the pdb, flight controller completely soldered in. Motors and external plastic bits are still replaceable obviously.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Coxswain Balls posted:

You'd be surprised with what you can do with Gorilla Glue. As it cures, it expands into a foam-like mass, so you can fill in gaps of missing fuselage with a bit of tape, toothpicks and creativity. My Calypso's fuselage has been ripped in half multiple times now, and I think it's more Gorilla Glue than foam now.

Why yes, my trim settings are all weird to keep it flying straight. Still gets airborne, though!

Yeah, have at look at Mister Sineway and my selves pictures of our Bixlers (Page 69). We punished them hard, glue em back together, and punished them more. Hell, you hit a tree (I've hit/landed in 3) which is somewhat soft. I've tried a loop from too low and flew into the ground at a 45 angle. Wing mounts broke off many, many times. I think I've glued the front nose on from breaks like yours about 7 times.

As was noted, Gorilla expanding foam glue is great for fixing EPO foam planes. Get some pins/needles to hold the parts together while they dry. Small clamps with paper between them and the plane as are handy while it dries. That plane has plenty of life left in it.

I have OpenTx on my 9x. It was well worth the time to get it on the radio compared to the stock firmware, and I believe I just followed the same instructions (Most likely the same/similar chip).

The Frysky stuff is pretty solid. Though I use OrangeRx DSMX (Cheap, but haven't had an issue while flying) and DTF UHF Tx/Rx modules.

I don't think I've ever accidentally done a loop, so I suspect the throw on your elevator might be a bit high. Try moving it down/up a hole so its closer to the elevator. It will give you finer control.

As you found on your 3rd attempt, Mister Sinewave and myself also made the same mistake, and tried to flow low and slow. Which is a terrible idea as its practically a stunt move. Give it lots of throttle, and get it up 75' or so. You want lots of time to recover, but still low enough to clearly see the plane. Drop the throttle back to about 50%, then start banking it over about 25-30 degrees, and giving it a bit of up elevator to turn in a nice circle. You can pretty much ignore the rudder, Bank and up to turn for now.

At some point, you should try and get it flying straight and level. Use the buttons around the sticks to adjust the trim so it flies level on its own. Once that's done, you'll want to start practicing landing. Basically try to land on a virtual ground 40' up from where you will be landing. The easiest is to reduce throttle (if its cruising at 50%, cut back to 20%), and aim it down enough to keep its speed up (~5-10 degrees). Once you get 3-5' above your virtual runway, pull up gently so its flying level. The plane will start to slow down and descend on its own. Once you "land", or mess up and stall, bring the throttle back up to 75%, and try and again.

Once that's comfortable, or your battery is getting low, try it for real. Once it's back on the ground, see where the control surfaces are (ailerons, rudder, elevator), then set your trims back to 0. Then physically trim the plane with control rods so they match what you had trimmed to in the radio.

Regarding wind. It's best avoided before you have the plane trimmed, and some comfort in recovering. Wind near the ground can be very sporadic, and a real pain to fly in. The flight stabilized receivers make it a lot easier to fly in, and make up a bit for bad trims. Just make sure they are actually responding correctly, or it will be looping/rolling like mad. Positive feedback loops are bad when stabilizing.

Golluk fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 21, 2015

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Nerobro posted:

Am I to interpret that as the guts of phantoms have gone 100% integrated?

*100% disposable.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.
poo poo my CC hates me so bad right now.. Just ordered a PA XR-52 to step up my 3D game. Ugh.. I'll post pics when I get it next week.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
My powerOSD has been delayed ANOTHER 2 weeks :( I ordered the drat thing in the beginning of March.

But it looks so cool :downsgun:

Site: http://quadrevo.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=56

Don't let the chip fool you, it's not that thin. In the site, it's missing a big capacitor lookin' thing mounted across the middle that acts as some sort of filter.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

Astronaut Jones posted:

Do they?

:can:

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

I doubt the FAA would even think twice before throwing out some 91.13 "Careless or reckless" for operating above the model guidelines up where you could interact with manned aircraft. Especially if using goggles/FPV vs direct line-of-sight.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

People who say that seem to think that manned aircraft are not allowed to fly below 500 feet.

Newflash they can and do.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Does anyone know what languages the APM flight controller uses? I heard it's neither BASIC nor HTML, which are the only things I (can pretend to) know. Is it C? C++? LISP?

People say, "learn java because it's easy," but I'd never use it so there's no incentive. But being able to program a flight drone might be incentive enough. Any ideas what languages they use?

helno
Jun 19, 2003

It is probably the form of C that arduino's use.

Unless you are planning on rolling your own flight controller code it is irrelevant. You dont need to know any programming language to setup an APM.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Oh. That was easy I guess.

I just thought about how computers were in the mid-90's where you couldn't just plug in a mouse and expect it to work without restarting vs. today where you can plug in a web-cam, take a picture, then put it on a usb stick.

Attaching telemetry and sensors doesn't require coding? I'm really, genuinely curious how a drone knows "these wires are a GPS" and "these wires go to motors." If "how computers learn vestibular & kinesthetic senses" is taught in middle school, I'm sorry. But when I was a kid you only needed to know Wheels, Wedges, Pulleys, and Screws. Electricity was a "thing" that "other people" "did". So, I'm not up to date. Sorry.

Like, humans are really able to synergize senses. Everyone knows about the Vestibulo Ocular-reflex. But we can do more poo poo like duct taping motors to ourselves to know where we're going. This is just a side-effect of our somatic sense interacting with said vestibular and kinesthetic senses and some Very Clever Software. But as far as I knew only humans contained said Very Clever Software. Can we just strap poo poo to drones and they'll know what to do with it? I didn't know we had Self-Learning AIs yet. poo poo.

Edit: I look at flying like this and wonder how one's drone knows whether it's got one of these in it.

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Apr 23, 2015

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

DreadLlama posted:

I just thought about how computers were in the mid-90's where you couldn't just plug in a mouse and expect it to work without restarting vs. today where you can plug in a web-cam, take a picture, then put it on a usb stick.

Attaching telemetry and sensors doesn't require coding? I'm really, genuinely curious how a drone knows "these wires are a GPS" and "these wires go to motors." If "how computers learn vestibular & kinesthetic senses" is taught in middle school, I'm sorry. But when I was a kid you only needed to know Wheels, Wedges, Pulleys, and Screws. Electricity was a "thing" that "other people" "did". So, I'm not up to date. Sorry.

You loving plug the ESC's into the ESC slots and tell it how many motors in the software. Plug GPS into GPS slot then configure in software. It doesn't figure any of this poo poo out and if you gently caress it up it will crash.

DreadLlama posted:

Like, humans are really able to synergize senses. Everyone knows about the Vestibulo Ocular-reflex. But we can do more poo poo like duct taping motors to ourselves to know where we're going. This is just a side-effect of our somatic sense interacting with said vestibular and kinesthetic senses and some Very Clever Software. But as far as I knew only humans contained said Very Clever Software. Can we just strap poo poo to drones and they'll know what to do with it? I didn't know we had Self-Learning AIs yet. poo poo.

What

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

DreadLlama posted:

Edit: I look at flying like this and wonder how one's drone knows whether it's got one of these in it.

Your flight controller does all that poo poo for you. Drones are not as complex as you appear to be thinking they are.

Edit: I say this as someone who had never ever built a drone or knew anything about them at all prior to my first post in this thread a few weeks ago. It's not that hard and it's really weird that you're making it more complex than it needs to be.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Oh, that's cool.

I just figured it would be hard since these are obviously so cool but they're not everywhere, so I'm like, "Clearly there has to be some hidden barrier to entry!"

Like, you guys are experts and stuff. But to someone just coming in, this seems like wizardry.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

To be fair the firmware does require coding to read those sensors, but you dont have to necessarily program it yourself (unless you are making your own as stated). the sensors usually just show varying resistance or signal which is then interpreted as a raw value by the firmware, and then the software layer allows you to calibrate or adjust how those inputs are read. the raw value from sensor X is Y, and by changing the weight of those values you change how the system reacts to those inputs.

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010

DreadLlama posted:

Oh, that's cool.

I just figured it would be hard since these are obviously so cool but they're not everywhere, so I'm like, "Clearly there has to be some hidden barrier to entry!"

Like, you guys are experts and stuff. But to someone just coming in, this seems like wizardry.

Seriously, just go watch every Maker Hanger and Flite Test Beginner video. If you want to get deeper, read Oscar Liang's blog. I'm just barely getting started, and got a lot of the basic info there. If anyone knows of any other good beginning resources, let me know.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

DreadLlama posted:

Oh, that's cool.

This is all that a drone (quadcopter) requires from my experience of building the F450, in its most basic form. You probably know all this already by now, but new people should also find it useful. All of these items are required for the drone to fly (except GPS, but if you are building a drone you should include a goddamn gps for your $500+ drone so it can return to you upon signal failure or other poo poo instead of crashing).

• Frame - Consists of motors, arms, sometimes propellers.
  • Motors/propellers - Two clockwise, two counter-clockwise. When looking at a quadcopter from above, the top left and bottom right are clockwise, and the top right and bottom left are counter-clockwise. Clockwise props are also known as "pusher" props. Check out this image I stole from google for a handy reference: http://i.imgur.com/HlaKA3z.jpg
  • ESC - Electronic speed controller. Controls speed and direction of the motors. Connected to the motors and the flight controller.
  • Flight Controller - This is what makes your drone stay level, hover in place, accept commands from your transmitter, use GPS, telemetry, sonar, "detect weed smell in the air", and other modules (these are typically additional hardware pieces), and provides servo control (eg. camera gimbals). It's also where most customizable things about the drone are located, such as pitch/yaw sensitivity, "return home" settings, transmitter switch mappings, etc. Examples include the Naza-M V2, Naza-M Lite, Pixhawk, KK2, and a few others. Have a new hardware module? 99% of the time it will plug into your flight controller and the FC will figure out how to use it.
  • PMU - Included with the Naza, no idea about other flight controllers or honestly what this even does. I assume it's for managing power flow to the ESCs and other parts of the drone - please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
  • Transmitter and Receiver The bigass controller you use to actually pilot the drone, and the receiver that's attached to the drone and receives the commands. The receiver is connected to the flight controller, and most usually have 2 antenna wires at the other end. These should be placed at roughly a 90 degree angle apart from each other but I've found it doesn't matter that much as long as they're a couple inches apart at the ends. Transmitter brands include Futaba and Spektrum, and probably others.
  • GPS - Allows your drone to know where it is located and therefore use the "return to home" features most flight controllers provide. Also required for setting waypoints for the drone to use in navigation.
  • Battery - 3S/4S - I have no loving idea what the difference is and someone else is likely way more versed in this area. I use a 2700 mAh 3S battery for my camera-less F450 and get ~15m of flight time from it, but I have no idea what any of that means.
  • Battery charger - Unless you only want a single flight from your expensive new drone, you want one of these. I use the Hitec X1 AC Plus but there are probably others that exist.
  • Zipties - Used to tie down all the exposed wires on your newly built drone. Don't try to be lazy and not use these, your drone can and will slice through random loose wires mid-flight if you try to be cheap and skimp on this.
  • Double sided tape and velcro - Usually you want to use the tape for the hardware modules you don't usually move often, such as the flight controller, receiver, and GPS. The velcro is for your battery and you usually want to have a velcro battery strap as well to keep it secure. The F450 comes with the battery strap, velcro, and double sided tape, dunno about other ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) kits.
  • Soldering iron, (lead-based) rosin core solder - If you're building a drone, get a good soldering iron (eg. Weller) and some lead-based solder. Honestly it doesn't matter THAT much if you use lead-free or lead-based solder - I just prefer the lead-based solder as it's what I'm used to. Use typical precautions for lead-based things if you go that route.
  • Ability to deal with frustration and countless google searches to figure out random problems - Drones are still a new thing, yes. They're still not that hard.

Edit - Also this:

Geburan posted:

Seriously, just go watch every Maker Hanger and Flite Test Beginner video. If you want to get deeper, read Oscar Liang's blog. I'm just barely getting started, and got a lot of the basic info there. If anyone knows of any other good beginning resources, let me know.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

There's also the "Give DJI $1200, they give you a charge-and-fly GPS enabled camera-carrying drone" method.

If you can build a computer from parts, know some basic electrical theory, and can solder, you're 90% of the way there. Some basic aerodynamics knowledge will save you some time, and possibly some parts, but it's not critical. The flight controller is basically a magic brain box that makes quadcopter flight possible.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Yep, all of your questions are answered by the flight controller. It does literally have ESC ports, transmitter ports, GPS ports, all that jazz. It doesn't have to do any sort of "oh god what is this let me do learning" because the nerd who programmed/built/sold the flight controller did all that. I imagine there are industry standards about the communications protocols, but you don't need to know any of that crap to put these together.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
I was browsing the FPVLab ground station thread, and decided I wanted to go the tripod route. I was using a fanny pack to hold a battery, RX, and DVR, but it wasn't going to work as well with diversity. I also wanted to get my body away from the antennae.

So after a night and a morning, I threw this together.

Closer inspection will reveal many not perfectly square or flush edges, and a fair bit of hot glue constructing. But the load bearing stuff is solid, looks OK from a distance, is easy to move, and gets the antennae up about head level if I'm standing.

Just need to track down some RCA adapters (male-male), and slapping a voltmeter on the battery. Might look into a small monitor for any curious visitors.

Golluk fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 23, 2015

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Golluk posted:

I was browsing the FPVLab ground station thread, and decided I wanted to go the tripod route. I was using a fanny pack to hold a battery, RX, and DVR, but it wasn't going to work as well with diversity. I also wanted to get my body away from the antennae.

So after a night and a morning, I threw this together.

Closer inspection will reveal many not perfectly square or flush edges, and a fair bit of hot glue constructing. But the load bearing stuff is solid, looks OK from a distance, is easy to move, and gets the antennae up about head level if I'm standing.

Just need to track down some RCA adapters (male-male), and slapping a voltmeter on the battery. Might look into a small monitor for any curious visitors.

What is the point of those big canon looking antennas? Or a "diversity" antenna in general? Is it for planes flying very high and very far, or would you us this setup for a little 250mm racing quad too? Do diversity antennas take in ALL radio frequencies? Why would it do that if your TX is only sending one type of signal? I just don't get the concept behind them.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
That looks really cool. I actually took a similar approach with my FPV monitor, I stuck it along with all the RX crap onto a cheap tripod.

That way I can just plant it and set it at a comfy height and orientation instead of fiddling with it stuck on my radio.

And striding sunset robot: the point is that diversity on the video receiver end allows the receiver to use whichever antenna is getting the strongest signal. The cannon-looking antenna is a directional antenna (long 'range' but only in a tight cone, must be pointed at the transmitter) and the mushroom looking one is the usual CP most of us are familiar with (omnidirectional as opposed to the highly directional tube-looking one).

The transmitting end doesn't need to be any different.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

But the bullet and ordered an Eagle Tree Vector today.

Once I get my GoPro replaced, there shall be video of me crashing hovering taking off and flying around a bit.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
edit : woops already answered.

ease fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 24, 2015

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Arcturas posted:

"oh god what is this let me do learning"

Taulabs sort of does this with gps on the sparky board.

Tell it you have a gps and it autoconfigues the port then reconfigures the gps if it can.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Got out for a bit this afternoon to try out FR632 diversity VRx, Aomway 200mw VTx, Sony super HAD II camera, and Mobius. I must have been feeling brave since there was enough wind to knock over my ground station as I was setting up the plane. But then flying in one spot like its a quad is amusing.

Sadly the manual settings for the camera at 1/60 shutter speed meant a complete whiteout, which seemed to mess with the DVR (I think it was having trouble telling NTSC from PAL), so it ended up just being a LOS test of the Mobius, and if RTH/Hold was working any better with telemetry off.

Pretty happy with the Mobius.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fceue04O7NI

RTH and Hold seems to have some issues with high winds for some reason though.

Golluk fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 25, 2015

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

MrYenko posted:

But the bullet and ordered an Eagle Tree Vector today.

Once I get my GoPro replaced, there shall be video of me crashing hovering taking off and flying around a bit.

They're a great piece of kit. Got one in a 400mm quad, and I'm getting another for a fixed wing. Just beware a fast landing, mine has a tendency to bounce if I don't ease it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Guys with commercial grade rigs (ideally high endurance, FPV +monitor support) and valid Passports shoot me a PM.

edit: and the ability to travel within 24 hours

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 25, 2015