Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prinnylaharl
Feb 10, 2013

Cumslut1895 posted:

There was that time he turned into a mare to get a giant(?) to gently caress him

Get the giant's magic horse to gently caress him after Odin threatened him at the end of one of Loki's pranks, said loving also resulting in him giving birth to Sleipnir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Norse mythology is really weird.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

prinnylaharl posted:

Get the giant's magic horse to gently caress him after Odin threatened him at the end of one of Loki's pranks, said loving also resulting in him giving birth to Sleipnir.

they should reference that in the Marvel movies

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008
It wasnt one of Loki's "pranks", it was actually one of several times that Loki bailed the rest of his adopted family. They all sort of blame Loki after the fact, and threaten to kill him unless he fixes everything, but even in the end of the story nobody was gonna honor the deal, they just sorta happened to win because apparently Loki is down with that. As soon as the castle/wall is built, everyone in Asgard "conveniently" recognizes the builder(s) as giant(s)/dwarf(s) and tells 'em to piss off, even if/when they won the bet.

In the end, Loki fucks a horse so his (sorta) dad can appear honorable.

OutsideAngel has a new favorite as of 13:17 on Apr 22, 2015

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
The giants wanted to build a wall around Asgard. A dwarf (I think it was a dwarf in the version I heard) came to the court of Odin with his horse and offered to build the whole thing, but in exchange he wanted Odin's wife, Frigga. Odin was of two minds on this, because on the one hand, you get a sweet wall, but he tended to get really possessive of Frigga, and she'd probably be super pissed if he traded her to a dwarf. He is conflicted, until Loki tells Odin to stipulate a time limit - the dwarf would have to build the entire wall in a summer. The gods assume this to be impossible, so Frigga can stay and they'll get a sweet wall.

As the end of summer approaches, the wall nears completion, and Odin gets kind of antsy. He orders Loki to figure out how the dwarf is getting all this work done in such a short amount of time. So Loki shapeshifts and spies on the dwarf and his horse, only to discover that the Horse is magical - it brings stone as fast as the dwarf needs it and seemingly works tirelessly. So if the horse is the problem, you just gotta get that out of the picture. So Loki shape shifts into a beautiful mare (yes, a mare) and when the overworked, undersexed magical horse sees this mare he's like 'gently caress this wall bullshit' and runs off into the meadow after her. The dwarf is pissed, Frigga gets to stay, and the Asgardians got (most of) their wall.

After all this is done, Loki returns to Asgard with a foal, because when he was a mare he let that magic horse gently caress him and he became pregnant with, and birthed, a foal. Everybody's just kinda like :stonklol: until Odin is like "this is a totally sweet horse, and i'm gonna name it Sleipnir.' It is in this way that Odin's horse is also his grandson.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Remember that time when some guy stole Mjolnir or something and he said he'd only give it back if he was given Freya, but Freya wasn't gonna go along with this crazy poo poo so Loki dressed Thor up as Freya and gave him to the guy until they got Mjolnir back so Thor in drag just bashed the guy after getting it back

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Lizard Wizard posted:

My favorite thing about that picture is how Daffy Duck is both on the wall and directly on the guy's belt buckle, as if the artist knew it would never be readily apparent.

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Annnd on the seat below him it says "I'm a duck." If you have to go to this much trouble to clarify who your reimagined character is, you're not doing a very good job.

This HAS to be a reference to something from the actual show. Like maybe one of those rabbit season/duck season episodes where Bugs and Daffy try to trick Elmer Fudd into shooting the other one by dressing them up as the other species.

... That happened in a Looney Toons episode, right? Or did I go insane at some point and make this up?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

103% what.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
There was also that one time Loki tied his scrotum to a goat and played a game of tug of war with it to try and make Skadi laugh (And succeeded.)

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Fangirls love the horse thing but I havent seen much of the other stuff popping up in their fanarts. Leave it to the norse to have inter-species transformation mpreg in their mythology, I'm surprised its not more popular in the weird fetish community.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Aw, they have masks so there's no transformation face.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Just pretend it's shock from panel 2 on.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Waffleman_ posted:

It's part of a shy gal transform series. There's others but seen one, seen them all.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

She makes crazy amounts of money on those pinups.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Not enough legs in that picture.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Dogwood Fleet posted:

She makes crazy amounts of money on those pinups.

Jesus, you're not wrong.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Lizard Wizard posted:

Jesus, you're not wrong.

What. What? How much does she draw to yield that much? That's an obscene amount of money for a top tier job let alone a fanartist.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

What. What? How much does she draw to yield that much? That's an obscene amount of money for a top tier job let alone a fanartist.

Apparently she offers tutorials and advice to budding artists, which is a thing in demand?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Captain Invictus posted:

That's just undfer $9 a person for reference.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Lizard Wizard posted:

Apparently she offers tutorials and advice to budding artists, which is a thing in demand?

Improbable Lobster posted:

That's just undfer $9 a person for reference.
These two combined make it much more understandable, if you can pay 9 bucks for extremely good tutorials and possibly direct advice from her(assuming they are restricted to backers), that's a crazy good deal. Still, pulling in over half a million dollars a year for tutorials and artistic advice is god damned mindboggling to me.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Im just gonna say that maybe a little of that might be smut. You can get mad scratch from smut because people will pay out the rear end for specific poo poo.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
I think it's one of those things where you work for a long time to get somewhere and then you try to make as much money as fast as you can because it's not going to last.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I am happy that someone found financial success doing something that they love.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Come on ZUN, release the DLC.

Colonel Squish
Feb 18, 2012

Pomp posted:

you're a sick, twisted person

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Lizard Wizard posted:

Jesus, you're not wrong.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pomp posted:

Same! It's just boggling that she's able to make THAT much.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Maybe a little late to the horse-loving loki chat, but the best thing about that story is it is, essentially, made up. No, not in the "all norse mythology is made up" way. As in, "it was a story made up by some lawyer called Snorri in the 13th century that sort of just got canonised". Seriously, the eiht-legged horse was only ever written about by this one dude, probably because he was trying to make Norse mythology seem "hip" and "cool" to young people (why he thought eight-legged horse was the answer I dunno). I I remember right he also made Odin a matyr so as to appeal to those kooky christian kids. Relevant because it's basically weird fan art making into actual mythology.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

Same! It's just boggling that she's able to make THAT much.

Seriously. What a snobby dick thing for Pomp to say.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Calico Heart posted:

relevant because it's basically weird fan art making into actual mythology.

I mean if you think about it the bible is weird god/Jesus fan fiction from 2k years ago. All the Greek stuff too. It's just so long ago that we don't have any perspective.

In the year 4000 friendship is magic might be the biggest religion.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Eldercain posted:

In the year 4000 friendship is magic might be the biggest religion.

Needs more martyrs.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Calico Heart posted:

Maybe a little late to the horse-loving loki chat, but the best thing about that story is it is, essentially, made up. No, not in the "all norse mythology is made up" way. As in, "it was a story made up by some lawyer called Snorri in the 13th century that sort of just got canonised". Seriously, the eiht-legged horse was only ever written about by this one dude, probably because he was trying to make Norse mythology seem "hip" and "cool" to young people (why he thought eight-legged horse was the answer I dunno). I I remember right he also made Odin a matyr so as to appeal to those kooky christian kids. Relevant because it's basically weird fan art making into actual mythology.

You do know that we only really have the Prose Edda (Snorri's) and the Poetic Edda, right? Nothing in Norse mythology has a lot of sources. It literally can't.

Also, you're dead wrong, because the Völuspá hin skamma references Sleipnir as Loki's son, and that's from the Poetic Edda.

e: Also, with a little searching, Sleipnir as an eight-legged horse is attested in the saga Hervarar saga ok Heiđreks, and is seen on the pre-Christian Tjängvide image stone.

Pick has a new favorite as of 14:18 on Apr 23, 2015

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
norse mythos smackdowns in the fanart thread :allears:

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really
Isn't Snorri pretty much the only source on ancient norse mythology we have? The oldest, at any rate. Yeah, everything about Loki the Cosmic rear end in a top hat, Baldr's absurd niceness, Odin's martyrdom etc. reeks of Christianization, but we don't have any comprehensive tellings of those myths that aren't several centuries out of date.

Goes for a lot of mythology, actually. A lot of what we think of "[X] Mythology" has been filtered through centuries of historians, translators, playwrights and propagandists. Hell, "history" as we know it is in a way weird fanart of reality. I bet you've read a story that casts Christopher Columbus, real life murderous despot and lucky dipshit as a clever and courageous adventurer held back only by peers who refused to acknowledge his genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Pick posted:

You do know that we only really have the Prose Edda (Snorri's) and the Poetic Edda, right? Nothing in Norse mythology has a lot of sources. It literally can't.

Also, you're dead wrong, because the Völuspá hin skamma references Sleipnir as Loki's son, and that's from the Poetic Edda.

e: Also, with a little searching, Sleipnir as an eight-legged horse is attested in the saga Hervarar saga ok Heiđreks, and is seen on the pre-Christian Tjängvide image stone.

From what I remember, this is because norse mythology was mostly passed down orally. People just told eachother stories from mythology but didn't necessarily write it all down, and it fell out of favour when christianity arrived. There probably used to be more written down, but written records get damaged even when people are trying to look after them properly, let alone if they don't really give a poo poo.

• Locked thread