Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice

Thanks. I still can barely get through it without squirming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
A group of kids asked me if I could buy beer for them. I, being the strapping young lad-

No I said no and laughed and went back to my phone.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
some fag laughed at my friends and i when we asked him to buy beer, so i was all "mothah fucka, do you even kung fu?" and i jumped in their like the t1000 and wrecked his bitch rear end, his girl was so entranced by my stellar display taht she called me her hero and sucked my dick.

then a homeless person bought us beer.

e1: look if you dont believe my story thats fine, but thats your perogative, i know what happened

e2: ive been training in kung fu since i was 5, here is a video of myself getting a blackbelt at 7 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZlUgkTGeAQ

e3: dont be a loving dummy, kankudai is just another name for kung fu, and i looked like a little asian girl back then because i loved one piece.

e4: whatever im going to delete the haters anywyas

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
This one is particularly dear to my heart because it was shared on Facebook by a conservative family memory who has talked poo poo about people on welfare on numerous occasions.

quote:

At Food Lion grocery store a man standing behind me in the long line snorted ‘Some people!’

‘You would think the manager of this store would pay attention and open another line,’ said a woman in a irritated manner.

I looked to the front of the line to see what the hold up was and saw a very clean and nice looking, young woman trying to get the machine to accept her credit card. No matter how many times she swiped it, the machine kept rejecting it.
The annoyed man standing behind me said ‘It’s one of them welfare card things. Dang people need to get a job like everyone else.’

The young woman turned around to see who had made the ugly comment.

‘It was me,’ he said, pointing to himself.

The young lady’s face began to change expression. From very red to almost in tears, she then dropped the welfare card onto the counter and quickly walked out of the Food Lion. Everyone in the checkout line watched as she began running to her car. She then got in and drove away.

After developing cancer in 1983 and having had to use food stamps, I had learned never to judge anyone without knowing the circumstances of their life. This turned out to be the case today.

Several minutes later a young man walked into the store. He went up to the cashier and asked if she had seen the woman. After describing her, the cashier told him that she had run out of the store, got into her car, and drove away.

‘Why would she do that?’ he asked. Everyone in the line looked around at the fellow who had made the ugly remark and pointed at him.

‘I made a stupid comment about the welfare card she was using. Something I shouldn’t have said. I’m truly sorry,’ said the man.

‘Well, that’s bad, real bad, in fact. Her brother was killed in Afghanistan two years ago. He had three young children and she has taken on that responsibility. She’s twenty years old, single, and now has three children to support,’ he said in a very firm voice.

‘I’m really truly sorry. I didn’t know,’ he replied, shaking both his hands about.

The young man asked, ‘Are these paid for?’ pointing to the shopping cart full of groceries.

‘No sir, It wouldn’t take her card,’ the clerk told him.

‘Do you know where she lives?’ asked the man who had made the comment.

‘Yes, she goes to our church.’

‘Excuse me,’ he said as he made his way to the front of the line. He pulled out his wallet, took out his credit card and told the cashier, ‘Please use my card!’ The clerk took his credit card and began to ring up the young woman’s groceries.

Hold on,’ said the gentleman. He walked back to his shopping cart and began loading his own groceries onto the belt to be included. ‘Come on people. We got three children to help raise!’ he told everyone in line.

Everyone began to place their groceries onto the fast moving belt. A few customers began bagging the food and placing it into separate carts. ‘Go back and get three big turkeys,’ yelled a heavyset woman, as she looked at the man.

‘NO,’ yelled the man. Everyone stopped dead in their tracks. The entire store became quiet for several seconds. ‘Five turkeys,’ yelled the man. Everyone began laughing and went back to work.

When all was said and done, the man paid a total of $1,756.67 for all the groceries people had piled onto the counter. He then walked over to the side, pulled out his check book, and began writing a check using the bags of dog food piled near the front of the store for a writing surface. He turned around and handed the check to the young man. ‘She will need a freezer and a few other things as well,’ he told the man.

The young man looked at the check and said, ‘This is really very generous of you.’

‘No,’ said the man. ‘Her brother was the generous one.’

Everyone in the store had been observing and began to clap. And I drove home that day feeling very American.

source

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

WetSpink posted:

This one is particularly dear to my heart because it was shared on Facebook by a conservative family memory who has talked poo poo about people on welfare on numerous occasions.

source

That's a pretty cool con, actually.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Paladinus posted:

Oh man, at first I was irritated at how bad the story was but that take on it is hilarious.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Paladinus posted:

There's nothing else it could be if the guy showed up only a few minutes later without knowing what happened to her. Also, nobody on That Librul Welfare Card would ever drop the thing and run out - if they actually have a valid one, it's probably more important than their car keys

vvv: Of course it did, it's written on the internet

Sentient Data has a new favorite as of 14:49 on Apr 22, 2015

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yes, but did it happen?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Paladinus posted:

That's a pretty good post, actually. :golfclap:

I want to live in this world where intolerant old men write 1700+ dollar checks every time they see the error if their ways.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Yeah, it's a good idea to assume she has enough room for a freezer and all those groceries.

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice
But it was $1,756.67. You don't just MAKE UP a number like that.

Lap-Lem
Oct 21, 2005
Lap-Lem the Village Tard
Five frozen turkeys? What the gently caress am I going to do with five loving frozen turkeys? Am I starting a frozen turkey chorus line or something? Do each of my recently acquired kids eat whole frozen turkeys like some kind of strange circus freaks? Maybe they inherited magical Super-Marine-SEAL metabolism and they need to feed the need for turkey at an hourly rate. Yeah lets go with that one.

Marley Wants More
Oct 22, 2005

woof
And of course, "several minutes later" everyone is still standing around in the same line.

That's just about the most awkward one yet. You can almost see the actual process:

"Then they loaded up five turkeys....no, wait, she wouldn't have anywhere to put them....a freezer! Yeah, they buy her a freezer! Okay, now how do they know where she lives? I know--she goes to that guy's church! This is great, they're gonna love this......"

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
Why would the brother adopt 3 children if he is in the army?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Why would custody of the children not go to their mother? Or on the off off off off off chance that she was also dead or that any state anywhere would let a single active duty man on deployment adopt three children, why wouldn't it go to his parents or some poo poo? No, this is all very suspicious indeed.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Also, the imaginary war hero brother died two years ago. Apparently 18 year old single women can adopt children.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The sad truth behind this story is the lady treats her brother's cats as children.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

ReidRansom posted:

Why would custody of the children not go to their mother? Or on the off off off off off chance that she was also dead or that any state anywhere would let a single active duty man on deployment adopt three children, why wouldn't it go to his parents or some poo poo? No, this is all very suspicious indeed.

No mention of the mother led me to the thought of adoption. Also, if she was dead would the army even send a man who lost his wife and has 3 children to another country?

Eh, who cares......hey churchguy? As you are the only one who knows her please take these over 1700$ worth of groceries (so, like 10 carts?) to your church and don't let the 5 turkeys defrost until you see her Sunday. kthx

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Who was the young man that came in and explained who she was?

"Everyone began to place their groceries onto the fast moving belt. A few customers began bagging the food and placing it into separate carts. ‘Go back and get three big turkeys,’ yelled a heavyset woman, as she looked at the man."

Im glad we know the woman was heavyset or I would be confused as to who she was.

"The young man asked, ‘Are these paid for?’ pointing to the shopping cart full of groceries.

‘No sir, It wouldn’t take her card,’ the clerk told him."

If she was broke and had 3 kids to feed, why would she leave behind a cart full of groceries she already bought even if she was embarrassed?

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

And why wouldn't she just wheel around and be all ARE TROOPS to the guy herself? Christ knows military families aren't shy about letting you know.

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

Not Always Working circa 1880 posted:

Scene—Portion of a Stationer's Shop, used as Post Office. Two Young Ladies (let them be distinguished as Miss Cross and Miss Orty) discovered behind wire-screen. At opening of scene, the public is composed exclusively of the gentler sex, and the demeanour of Miss C. and Miss O. though firm, is not positively forbidding. Lady Customers, having despatched their business move away, leaving the coast clear to three Mild Men, who advance to screen with a meekness designed to propitiate. Instant transformation in both Miss C. and Miss O., who gaze at them through screen with air of visitors at the Zoo who are not fond of animals.

First Mild Man (with apologetic cough). Oh, good-day! [Slight pause.]

Miss Cross to Miss Orty (in continuation of an interrupted anecdote). Yes, I said it to him just like that—it made me so wild!

Miss Orty. I shouldn't have taken any notice if it had been me.

First M. M. Can you oblige me with six stamps, if you please?

[Miss Orty, without looking at him, opens drawer, tears off six stamps, and tosses them contemptuously underneath the screen.

Second Mild Man. Oh, I beg your pardon, I just called in to inquire—— (Miss C. and Miss O. regard him stonily, which has effect of disconcerting him to some extent). I—I ... there were some books I sent off by Parcels Post from this Office the other day ... you may remember it?—they were all in white wrappers. (Miss C.and Miss O. wear the resigned look of people who feel themselves in for a dull story.) Some of my friends, er—I have been given to understand, that two of the parcels have—well, failed to arrive as yet.... Could you kindly——

Miss O. to Miss C. (with lifted eyebrows). Know anything about the books?

Miss C. shakes her head in scornful repudiation, whereupon Miss Orty selects a printed form, which she jerks towards Second M. M. Fill up that, and send it in to the Postmaster-General.

Second M. M. But are you quite sure they have not been mislaid here? You see they are small books, and it struck me perhaps—er——

Miss O. Any remarks you have to make can be put in the form.

Second M. M. Quite so—but if you could only tell me——

Miss O. Can't do any more than I have done. (To First M. M.) I gave you your stamps some time ago, didn't I?

First M. M. Oh, yes—yes, I had the stamps, thank you. But—but (with manner of man who is compelled to enter on a painful subject) there was my change—I—I gave you half a sovereign.

Miss O. (with cold suspicion). Don't remember it. You should have spoke about it at the time—but of course, if you say you haven't had it—I suppose——

[Deals out his change as if it was more than he had any right to expect.

Second M. M. One moment—am I to leave this form with you?

Miss C. No. Send it to the General Post Office in the regular way—they'll attend to it. You'll find all the directions there if you take the trouble to look.

Second M. M. Thank you very much. Good morning.

[Miss C. and Miss O. naturally take no notice of this piece of familiarity, and Second M. M. departs crushed, and gradually realises that he is slightly annoyed.

Third M. M. (presenting a telegram). Will you send this off at once, please?

Miss Orty (takes the form, and runs a disparaging eye over it, rather as if it were an unwelcome love-letter from some detested adorer). "Post mortem's" two words.

Third M. M. I have no objection—but it's rather important. I want it delivered, and soon.

Miss O. You must put the address more full than "Rumbo," then.

Third M. M. But the telegraphic address is registered "Rumbo."

Miss O. (who seems to consider "Rumbo" somewhat too frivolous). Well, if you like to leave it so, I can send it—it's at your risk. (She leaves the form on the counter.) Eightpence-halfpenny.

Enter Footman, with parcel.

Footman. How much to pay on this, Miss, please?

[Miss Cross takes it reluctantly, slaps it down on scales with infinite contempt, flings in weights, and then tosses a stamp and label to Footman, with the brief remark, "Fourpence," spoken aggressively. Footman, after paying his fourpence, and gazing from stamp to label in a hopeless manner, opens his mouth twice, and withdraws, too intimidated to ask for further instructions.

Miss C. (still occupied with her anecdote). I should laugh if he came again next Sunday, just the same—shouldn't you?

Miss O. I'd let him see I wasn't going to put up with it, I know!

Miss C. Oh, he'll find out he won't have things all his way. (Perceives First M. M. evidently awaiting her leisure.) Was there anything else you were waiting for?

First M. M. Er—yes. Can you let me have a Postal Order for six-and-sixpence?

Miss C. (with decision). No, I can't!

First M. M. (surprised). But surely——!

Miss C. Give you two—one for five shillings, and one for eighteen-pence, if that will do?

First M. M. Of course, that's what I meant!

Miss Cross. It's not what you said—you said a order. (Makes out the orders with much disdain.) Three-halfpence to pay.

Second M. M. (returning). Oh, I quite forgot—will you kindly cash this order for me?

Miss O. Not till you've signed it.

Second M. M. Bless my heart, I quite forgot it ought to be signed! Could you oblige me with a pen for one moment?

Miss O. There's a desk over there for all that.

Second M. M. I—I thought if you would let me sign it here, it would save time—the desk is occupied at present I observe.

Miss O. (dabs a pen in the inkstand, and pushes it disdainfully through the wire net-work.) Give it back when you've finished with it.

[She is apparently alarmed lest it should be secured as a Souvenir.

Enter Imperious Customer, and approaches screen with lordly air.

Imperious Customer (blusterously). Here you—one of you, let me have a penny stamp, and a packet of thin post-cards, and two half-penny wrappers, will you? and look sharp!

Miss C. and Miss O. (becoming instantly all smiles.) Certainly, Sir. (They vie with one another in activity.) Postcards in that drawer ... I'll get the wrappers—ninepence-halfpenny, Sir, and thank you. Good morning, Sir.

[Exit Imperious Stranger snatching up his purchases and ignoring parting smiles from behind the screen. Mild Men store up the lesson for use on future occasions. Scene closes in.

In The Bushes
Mar 4, 2012

walrusman posted:

And why wouldn't she just wheel around and be all ARE TROOPS to the guy herself? Christ knows military families aren't shy about letting you know.

Because females are weak.

Marley Wants More
Oct 22, 2005

woof

oldpainless posted:

If she was broke and had 3 kids to feed, why would she leave behind a cart full of groceries she already bought even if she was embarrassed?

She hadn't bought them because her card was rejected. The real question is why she didn't come back at the jerk with a pretentious and long-winded speech and then run off and marry Albert Einstein while the gender neutral troops clapped, or something.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

:eyepop:

W-what ?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Leon Einstein posted:

Yeah, it's a good idea to assume she has enough room for a freezer and all those groceries.

That's the next layer of the scam.

*buys all the groceries*

"Well, she's going to need something to keep the food in"

*buys a giant freezer*

"Well, she's going to need someplace to keep the freezer"

*buys a house*

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

quote:

Scene—Portion of a Stationer's Shop, used as Post Office. Two Young Ladies (let them be distinguished as Miss Cross and Miss Orty) discovered behind wire-screen. At opening of scene, the public is composed exclusively of the gentler sex, and the demeanour of Miss C. and Miss O. though firm, is not positively forbidding. Lady Customers, having despatched their business move away, leaving the coast clear to three Mild Men, who advance to screen with a meekness designed to propitiate. Instant transformation in both Miss C. and Miss O., who gaze at them through screen with air of visitors at the Zoo who are not fond of animals.

I can't even parse this.

It sounds like a chatbot. What the gently caress? :psyduck:

I'm pretty sure that was taken from a David Lynch surrealist play or something.

That gum you like is going to come back in style!

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 17:49 on Apr 22, 2015

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Zaphod42 posted:

I can't even parse this.

It sounds like a chatbot. What the gently caress? :psyduck:

I'm pretty sure that was taken from a David Lynch surrealist play or something.

That gum you like is going to come back in style!
It's not that incomprehensible. It's kinda written like old timey stage directions though. Also where did you get that from, or did you write it yourself as a NAW parody? :v:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

quote:

‘NO,’ yelled the man.

‘Five turkeys,’ yelled the man.
:black101:

Also did anyone else think that the woman was gonna run out of the store and then get run down by a drunk driver w/all her kids in the car or something, just to go for full misery level?

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

Fathis Munk posted:

It's not that incomprehensible. It's kinda written like old timey stage directions though. Also where did you get that from, or did you write it yourself as a NAW parody? :v:

It's a skit from an actual 1880's magazine called Punch, issue here) it's a joke but it just reminded me the more things change the more they stay the same!

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

Also, if for some reason you didn't get it, the "joke" is that the women were straight up bitches to the nice men and scrambled all over themselves to help the rear end in a top hat alpha male guy.

So like an overdue owl said, the more things change, the more they stay the same!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Not she isn't and if she were this is actually pretty sad and cowardly. Go call her a oval office to her face if you are so 'insane'

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Yeah, he's the one that looks like a bitch, even if it is true. Way to be a spineless, passive aggressive prick?

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

EmmyOk posted:

Not she isn't and if she were this is actually pretty sad and cowardly. Go call her a oval office to her face if you are so 'insane'

Trending on Imgur. :sigh:

Why are most Internet communities so awful?

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
California now gives you an EBT card instead of checks for long-term disability. It's really pretty, too. It has Yosemite on it.

I doubt the next people will be seeing Yosemite any time soon.

quote:

(In our Spanish class, there’s one girl that’s always loud and disrespectful to the teacher. She calls out, comments on everything, talks back, and gets kicked out of class several times. However, as class work only counts as 5% of the grade, and the girl is really smart and gets high test scores, the teacher is forced to give her As… until this happens during an exam.)

Girl: “You never told us there would be a test today! This is SO unfair!”

Teacher: “Yes, I did…”

Girl: “Uh, NO?”

Class: “Shut up already!”

(Teacher hands out tests. We work until only five minutes remain.)

Teacher: “Five minutes!”

Girl: “Oh, my god! Could you be quiet?! My parents will kill me if I fail a test!”

(The girl continues frantically working. The teacher, seeing that everyone else is done, sneaks up behind the girl’s desk and SCREAMS into her ear as loud as possible!)

Teacher: “AAAAAAAARGH!”

(The girl shrieks and falls halfway off her chair.)

Girl: “Aah! What the h***?!”

Teacher: “Oh, am I distracting you? Gee, now you must know how I feel when you run your darned mouth in my class!”

(My class is in hysterics. There’s one minute of time left, and the girl still hasn’t done three five-point questions. The teacher continues making noise, drumming on the desks, whistling, and humming loudly right next to the girl.)

Teacher: “Time’s up, everyone! Pass up your tests, please. Also, as a surprise, this test also counts three times towards your average! I hope you all did well, since it’s almost the end of the semester!”

Girl: “Noooooo! You can’t freaking do that!”

Teacher: *checks the girl’s test against his key* “Oh my, [Girl]. First a 60% on the test, and now more insubordination? HOW UNLIKE YOU. I think I’ll need to have a small meeting with your parents!”

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Lowly posted:

Also, if for some reason you didn't get it, the "joke" is that the women were straight up bitches to the nice men and scrambled all over themselves to help the rear end in a top hat alpha male guy.

So like an overdue owl said, the more things change, the more they stay the same!

Yeah that's why I was wondering if he wrote it, it just fits too eerily well into this thread.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Someone caught the whole thing on camera, and then the teacher was fired.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

If that story were real then wouldn't the teacher get fired pretty quickly?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Testekill posted:

If that story were real then wouldn't the teacher get fired pretty quickly?

Since she's basically bullying and humiliating a student just because she doesn't like her? Yes. Thankfully, it's bullshit.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Non Serviam posted:

Since she's basically bullying and humiliating a student just because she doesn't like her? Yes. Thankfully, it's bullshit.

A teacher verbally chastised and humiliated my sister to the point of tears in the first grade and never faced any consequences. Then again, that was almost 20 years ago (holy poo poo).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Bertrand Hustle posted:

A teacher verbally chastised and humiliated my sister to the point of tears in the first grade and never faced any consequences. Then again, that was almost 20 years ago (holy poo poo).

Wtf happened?

• Locked thread