Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tender Bender posted:

Fantasy Life, Rune Factory 4, Story of Seasons. Sell me on the one that's the most fun/chill with the least obnoxious mechanics.

Fantasy Life is the most chill. That's why the sequel is for mobile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Tender Bender posted:

Fantasy Life, Rune Factory 4, Story of Seasons. Sell me on the one that's the most fun/chill with the least obnoxious mechanics.

Of those I've only played Fantasy Life, and I love it. Super chill and fun, and just oozes charm from every orifice. Not too obnoxious unless you go way down the rabbit hole of trying to craft the best tools and equipment. Personally I didn't bother with that and still got way more than my money's worth out of the game. Bear in mind there is DLC for it that I highly recommend if you end up liking the game at all. It raises your stat caps, level cap, and skill caps and gives you access to a whole new area full of high level enemies and tons of rare stuff to use with crafting.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Everything I've heard about Rune Factory 4 makes it sound like a lot of fun, but also extremely anime, so if you have a low tolerance for things stereotypically anime then probably you'll want to dodge RF4. Also, RF4 is split into 3 acts so that between acts you'll just be doing farming and stuff having downtime before the next story starts, except the third act seems to only trigger based on luck so if you're actively trying to get it to trigger you'll probably need to check a guide and get ready to reset the game a bunch until it triggers.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
You guys can keep your grips. I'm getting eggs.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
Rune Factory 4 is the best about letting you chill out and do whatever without being hamstrung by hours of forced tutorials, but what characters and stories it has are extremely tropey. You're getting that with all three of those games, though.

Cake Attack posted:

rune factory 4

you can trust your pal cake attack

even a broken shitposter is right twice a day

or something

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I managed to avoid putting any money into Pokemon Shuffle, but Rumble got like $7 out of me. I'm kind of pissed though, I thought I was buying enough diamonds to unlock all the balloons and then when I got to level 20 there were a bunch of other balloons that were hidden from the store... Even though this is the most simple game and I got microtransaction screwed it's still better than the Wii U Rumble game.

Edit: Also Fantasy Life is great.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

There is a limit to the Rumble micro-transactions, so you end up paying for slightly less than a full fledged game. The only difference is that you will run out of diamonds, but I suppose the whole daily thing stops me from completing the game around a week ago.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Smoremaster posted:

I went to Target today to get my two kids their own 3DS's. While I was there, a Nintendo representative was talking with one of the employees, and when I bought the 3DS's she asked to take my picture holding up both of them. We talked about Monster Hunter for a bit and then she gave me Nintendo stickers for the kids. Pretty cool.

As a fellow parent, I too usually walk out of Target like :allears:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
The first like 9 hours of Story of Seasons is essentially a longass virtual tutorial

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Rexroom posted:

Eh? Didn't it sell poorly because it sucked? Are we that desperate for JRPGs?

XSEED is owned by the company that made Lords of Magna, they were always gonna bring it over. It's been announced for a while, we just have a date now.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
My wife told me today she was in Starbucks, and saw a 60 year old woman go up to the Barista and complain that their wifi didn't give her street passes anymore, because it's supposed to be streetpass weekend.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Your wife lied to you and this entire forum by association.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

XSEED is owned by the company that made Lords of Magna, they were always gonna bring it over. It's been announced for a while, we just have a date now.

The devteam is also the people behind Rune Factory, so I'd been hoping that it would turn out alright, but I heard that it's basically a super-halfassed SRPG. Wikipedia says that Neverland went bankrupt partway through development and Marvelous kept some staff to finish it up, so that's probably why.

e: I'm still confused about what happened with Neverland. Rune Factory 4 did well, to the point that a fifth was quickly greenlit, but then other factors forced them to close. Around the time that was announced I got the impression that most or all of the staff was scooped up by Marvelous, but reading up now makes it seem like only a small number of staff was hired in order to quickly wrap up development on the partially-completed Lord of Magna and push it out the door.

I'm also really confused as to what caused their bankruptcy. I got the impression that Rune Factory had always done pretty well in its niche, and Marvelous only made like five other games in the 7th and 8th gens. Some of those must have done very poorly, or they must have been shouldering some earlier debt for a while.

Motto fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 23, 2015

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
I did not think I would enjoy fire emblem but hot drat. A good game.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

greatn posted:

My wife told me today she was in Starbucks, and saw a 60 year old woman go up to the Barista and complain that their wifi didn't give her street passes anymore, because it's supposed to be streetpass weekend.

that lady owns please get her friend code

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

Rune Factory 4 as long as you can stomach that you need to look up on how to force certain town events to trigger the last plot arc and/or marriage events since the devs thought it would be a great idea to have them be left up to complete RNG. That and ~anime~ quirkiness of the characters but if you can tolerate something say, Fire Emblem Awakening's characters you'll probably be fine. You never run out of stuff to do in that game and everything is quite speedy and efficient.

I'd only recommend SoS over it after finishing RF4 or if you want more emphasis on farming or/and no combat. Dont know much about FL so can't give my .02 on it.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

epitasis posted:

that lady owns please get her friend code

She's probably already in this thread.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Tyma posted:

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but every Argos store seems to have received stock of this cover plate, which sold out pretty quickly online, back when everyone was trying to buy up and re-sell anything with Zelda printed on it. :

That's no use to anyone in NA since we don't get the non-XL New though, is it?

noirstronaut posted:

The first like 9 hours of Story of Seasons is essentially a longass virtual tutorial

Are we talking like Dream Team bad here? I was thinking of getting either that or RF4 for my wife at some point since she is currently hooked on ANB.

raditts fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 23, 2015

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Terper posted:

All 3DS games are good, mostly because they're on the 3DS.

I'd say despite this fact

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tyma posted:

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but every Argos store seems to have received stock of this cover plate, which sold out pretty quickly online, back when everyone was trying to buy up and re-sell anything with Zelda printed on it. :

That cover plate is also readily available in Australia. Almost makes me wish I had a regular n3DS, because it's gorgeous up close :allears:.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I finally got all the puzzle pieces. I'm wondering, if I stuff it in the vault will I still get notifications when there's a new panel available?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

greatn posted:

I finally got all the puzzle pieces.

:stare:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
When you've had the 3ds about two years, get ten play coins a day, and streetpass the same two people at work every day it isn't difficult. Just takes two years. Street pass week has helped a ton too.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Yeah I've almost finished the puzzle pieces. It's not that unreasonable if you get a couple streetpasses a day and you've had it a while

Good luck if you live in the middle of nowhere though

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

raditts posted:

Are we talking like Dream Team bad here? I was thinking of getting either that or RF4 for my wife at some point since she is currently hooked on ANB.

Nah, it'sd not really 9 hours or like Dream Team. It's just a lot longer than it needs to be and tries to explain everything in one go, but after that, you're on your own essentially.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

raditts posted:

It's not as long as they said, but I had to take a break from it once I finished the tutorial because was so drat worn out on it and it's music that I couldn't handle it any longer. About 3/4th of the way through the tutorial I contemplated returning the game because of how hand-holdy it was being though. Hopefully it looks up from here.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Puzzle pieces are pretty easy to get when:
1) you get 6-10 streetpasses a day and
2) you don't spend your play coins on anything but filling out puzzles.

I have them all completed so until they put out more puzzles I'm basically the puzzle piece fairy.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Do you guys have the Burger puzzle?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

elf help book posted:

Do you guys have the Burger puzzle?

I think that was a Japan only puzzle

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Willo567 posted:

I think that was a Japan only puzzle

I thought foreigners could get it by streetpassing someone who has it anyway.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

elf help book posted:

I thought foreigners could get it by streetpassing someone who has it anyway.

That was the Swapnote stuff, you could get different stationary sent from people who had it sent from Japan, and then you could use it.

Also with Animal Crossing, if you street passed someone who had the exclusive JP Only furniture, you could acquire it that way.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i've streetpassed plenty of japanese and never got the option for the exclusive puzzles

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Speaking of Streetpass, I tried out the Homepass method yesterday, and it didn't work for me. Everything was set up just fine, my 3DS could connect to it, and I had the MAC address changed, but I got no Streetpasses. Did Nintendo change anything in the newest system update, or have I hosed up?

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Kaubocks posted:

Puzzle pieces are pretty easy to get when:
1) you get 6-10 streetpasses a day and
2) you don't spend your play coins on anything but filling out puzzles.

I have them all completed so until they put out more puzzles I'm basically the puzzle piece fairy.

Same here. I'm basically constantly sitting at around 200 play coins using a few for monster manor/gardening here and there, so every time a new puzzle hits I basically fill out every blue piece on the spot. It's oddly satisfying.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Does it feel good to cheat the system? I bet those aren't even real people on your precious "homepass" ? Streetpass was made with the idea that people could come together and share a common bond of video games and hats and this poo poo is pissing me off more and more, the more I read about these fake steetpasses.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Does it feel good to cheat the system? I bet those aren't even real people on your precious "homepass" ? Streetpass was made with the idea that people could come together and share a common bond of video games and hats and this poo poo is pissing me off more and more, the more I read about these fake steetpasses.

Except that some of us are in the middle of bumfuck, nowhere with really no options to "come together". The idea was cool in Japan, where everyone is crammed together. Not so well in America where everyone is spread out.

And even if we wanted to "come together", to really get the hits, we would have to go to a convention - which for some of us, is either embarrassing or expensive.

tl;dr: It's a loving game. Get over it.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I abused the hell out of the spotpass miis and don't even feel bad about it

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Look at all these hillbillies, I bet they don't even have a buddy for local plays. :smug:

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

This is, literally, the least important thing to get angry about in the history of humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
So we need to talk more about home pass relays in addition to xenoblade then.