Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hulk Smash! posted:

Stupid things you've seen in pubbie groups, go:

• Healer: "AFK a sec", DPS: *force leap to boss fight*
  • Sniper in all Aim gear. "I need Aim to shoot things good!". Couldn't really fault him on that.
  • Tanks in DPS stance, Healers in DPS stance, no stance, "what's a stance?"
  • DPS queueing as healers "because it's faster lol"
  • At KDY ship asssembly puzzle: Player 1 "I know the puzzle, gimme a sec", Player 2: *pushes every button at random and activates assembly*
  • 3 Sorc and a Jugg, purple Will drop. Jugg needs on it.
  • Sniper constantly cover-rolling into 2nd group and aggroing it. Blaming tank for poor job.
  • Tank: "Everyone knows this boss fight?", rest of group: "Nope". *Tank starts fight anyway*

My favorite so far was the time I was playing as shadow, and a sage yelled at me for rolling need on a willpower item because "that's healer gear"

He actually ragequit at that point because he thought I'd ninja looted twice (one time was actually winning a greed roll on a blaster rifle). Our loss I'm sure.

One nice thing about FF14 (aka the most glorious and perfect video game ever) is that the game actually doesn't allow you to roll Need on an item unless the class that you're currently playing can actually use it. It stops idiots/jerks for ninja looting, and also gives new players an idea of the kind of gear that they're actually supposed to be wearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Hulk Smash! posted:

Do you think that BW regrets offing Malgus? He's a central figure in all the CG cinematics, you get a statue of him in the CE, he's constantly throwing missions your way for group content 10-50, he's on the box art, and there was even a life-sized statue of him you could win at launch. All the other characters that got this much attention are still kicking. Marr's cool and all but it feels like the current content where Rep and Imps are side by side would be more interesting with Satele and Malgus in the same room.
Could be. Malgus just seems a more memorable character in general, no doubt in part because he's not effectively faceless the way Marr is, and has a bit more substance personality-wise.

Clicked link, got new link:

http://www.swtor.com/user/ce/qkwan

Click link get new link !!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Sombrerotron posted:

It's better than that, because each link can be used five times. At least three people used mine over the last day or so and posted their links! The links posted on the official forums get used immediately, and not enough people post their own links to compensate. I must have tried half a dozen of them, and every one there was invalid. First one I tried here? Worked instantly.

Goons take care of their own.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Everything that isn't a raid boss is a tank and spank nowadays. Pubbies are too dumb for much else.

Battle of Rishi HM would like a word with you, especially the bonus boss.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Sombrerotron posted:

Could be. Malgus just seems a more memorable character in general, no doubt in part because he's not effectively faceless the way Marr is, and has a bit more substance personality-wise.

My shame.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

I remember in the early SA threads prior to release, the standard edition had only one item listed that the CE didn't have:

• Your dignity

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Hulk Smash! posted:

I remember in the early SA threads prior to release, the standard edition had only one item listed that the CE didn't have:

• Your dignity

Hey don't forget about the achievements you can't get unless you had the collector's edition, right Oedzi?

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the priorities list, that makes much more sense than the TM > Priming Shot > Tm >Priming Shot rotation. Obviously I'll switch Unload to priming when I get it.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

Battle of Rishi HM would like a word with you, especially the bonus boss.

I think BW assumes if you make it to 60HMs then you're competent enough to handle mechanics

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Sombrerotron posted:

Clicked link, got this one:

http://www.swtor.com/user/ce/91f97

Time to roll some characters I guess.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Hulk Smash! posted:

Sometime before 3.0 came out I queued for a 55 hard mode flashpoint and got Cademimu. I was on my DPS sage, my best geared character with fully augmented, 180 set bonus armour and the tank was similarly equipped. The other two randoms had under 20K health apiece and had clearly never done the flashpoint before. The tank told them, "don't worry, we can carry you through this, just do as you're told when we get to the boss." We get to the first boss without incident, and the tank patiently explains the mechanics, that the droid is immune until you trap it in its own holding cell, and where not to stand so as not to get trapped. We pull, they both promptly get trapped and in the ensuing clusterfuck we wipe. "Ok," the tank says, "now you've seen the fight you know what not to do. This time we'll get it." Then there's a pause, and he says, "Man, you really need to gear up a little."

Without a word, they both quit.

The tank then tells me, "I just inspected their gear. For starters, the healer's mainhand was a level 10 green lightsaber."

The punchline is that if they'd just stood out of harm's way we could still have carried them through it. As it was, we pulled out companions and finished without a hitch.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Let's just hope they lvled through the 12xp. Please let it be so. no other player can be THAT stupid....right?

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Hulk Smash! posted:

[list]

[*]At KDY ship asssembly puzzle: Player 1 "I know the puzzle, gimme a sec", Player 2: *pushes every button at random and activates assembly*

This is me because I give no fucks.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Givin posted:

This is me because I give no fucks.

If someone is good at doing the puzzle let them. You may think you're making it quicker by just mashing, but you have to fight a bunch of champion droids if you screw it up AND you miss out on easy XP.

Now, if no one knows how to do it and it's going to take you an hour to figure it out, just mash through it and say eff the XP.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Coffeehitler posted:

Clicked link, got this one:

http://www.swtor.com/user/ce/91f97

Time to roll some characters I guess.

I done got this'n

http://www.swtor.com/user/ce/1q1n41

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

shadok posted:

The tank then tells me, "I just inspected their gear. For starters, the healer's mainhand was a level 10 green lightsaber."

Yikes... Like, even just doing your class stories, you'd get a few better mainhands along the way. I guess they really liked how it looked..?

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar
Here's a cantina link. Thank you goons.

http://www.swtor.com/user/ce/dyypp

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Medullah posted:

If someone is good at doing the puzzle let them. You may think you're making it quicker by just mashing, but you have to fight a bunch of champion droids if you screw it up AND you miss out on easy XP.

Now, if no one knows how to do it and it's going to take you an hour to figure it out, just mash through it and say eff the XP.

My best KDY puzzle story is the time I was grouped with random people and I personally stepped up to do the puzzle, and one of the other dudes said "if u get this wrong your a loving idiot!" Oh really? Big words from a guy making zero effort to help. Of course I did fine with it. I like to quote that guy now when I run it with my buddies.

King Faraday
May 22, 2009

spanko posted:

Here's a cantina link. Thank you goons.

http://www.swtor.com/user/ce/dyypp

And more

http://www.swtor.com/user/ce/befqp

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I've tried a billion different Cantina codes across a billion different forums and none of them ever work for me. Is there some trick I'm not doing ?

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Givin posted:

I've tried a billion different Cantina codes across a billion different forums and none of them ever work for me. Is there some trick I'm not doing ?

You may need to have e-mail notifications enabled. Personally, I just kept getting error codes every time I clicked on a cantina link, then I logged in and got a pink penis speeder for all my toons, so it worked somehow. Even if you get an error message from the website, it might be worth logging in just to see if you got a cantina mail.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Apr 23, 2015

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
You may need to be at least Preferred to use them. I, personally, couldn't use any until I went Preferred.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.swtor.com/user/ce/1gfuqd Here's my code if someone needs it.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Rolled a ShieldTech, got it to level 13 last night (which is nothing I know). That is a stupid simple rotation for surprising DPS. Will it stay that way? With Treek that thing just cannot die it feels.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Thronde posted:

Rolled a ShieldTech, got it to level 13 last night (which is nothing I know). That is a stupid simple rotation for surprising DPS. Will it stay that way? With Treek that thing just cannot die it feels.

No it's just being such a low lvl. All the rotations were simplified with 3.0 but at endgame you'll do about 1/3 of the DPS of an actual DPS.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

No it's just being such a low lvl. All the rotations were simplified with 3.0 but at endgame you'll do about 1/3 of the DPS of an actual DPS.

I've heard that in pvp tanks in dps gear actually wreck poo poo. Not true in PvE of course.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah I was reading that too. Being that I love to occasionally PVP, I figured that was the route I'd go. There was a picture on the OF of some dude doing 1.5 million damage in a PVP match against a bunch of Assassin tanks. Noone else broke 1 million damage. Cripes.

I know it won't do the DPS of my Arsenal merc, but will it actually be able to finish poo poo off solo or would it be better to stick with the Arsenal for solo grinds?

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

I've heard that in pvp tanks in dps gear actually wreck poo poo. Not true in PvE of course.

In Ranked because of matchmaking it's DPS in Tank gear and stance that can swing a fight. Skank tankers. If Bioware ever gets around to caring about Ranked balance they'll start by making the various stances passives that are automatically applied when you pick a Discipline.

In regs it's a give and take...more DPS for less survivability. A Tank in DPS gear will do about 2/3'rds the DPS but can be easily blown up if they actually try to Guard someone against players who know what they're doing. If medals impress you then this is the build for you.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Thronde posted:

Yeah I was reading that too. Being that I love to occasionally PVP, I figured that was the route I'd go. There was a picture on the OF of some dude doing 1.5 million damage in a PVP match against a bunch of Assassin tanks. Noone else broke 1 million damage. Cripes.

That's me as a Balance Sage with not a single cast of Forcequake. A good player is a good player no matter the spec...fundamental skills carry across any build.

Also in the SS you mention above I guarantee there was an exceptional healer propping him up.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
I no longer believe this loving statue of Mandalore exists. It's a hoax. I'm guessing the black/black dye has the same chance to drop as this alleged statue and I've seen two of those go by. All my mailbox buddies on Ord Mantell have disappeared one by one, and only I remain. gently caress you, RNG.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

that dye you get from a cantina pack, there's no way to use it on any other characters is there?

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Telex posted:

that dye you get from a cantina pack, there's no way to use it on any other characters is there?

No, everything that comes from the Cantina box is bound-on-pickup, except the Gonk droid which is bound-to-legacy.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Telex posted:

If you want to dye a piece of Legacy gear, you could use that. Take a look at all the legacy chestpieces, see if there's anything that matches an outfit you'd like to make.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

If you want to dye a piece of Legacy gear, you could use that. Take a look at all the legacy chestpieces, see if there's anything that matches an outfit you'd like to make.

God loving drat it, I never even thought of that. I could have dyed two legacy chestpieces black/black.

Squee
Jun 15, 2003
<3
My code I guess, idk what this poo poo is even for but I was reinstalling: http://www.swtor.com/user/ce/7maar

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

shadok posted:

God loving drat it, I never even thought of that. I could have dyed two legacy chestpieces black/black.

Welp now I have something to do when I get home :)

AngstPenguin
Oct 10, 2006

Stuff seems to be picking up in the game again, so I'm coming back. My Sith side mains are Kamdeer and Partheer and I've been living in the IRC channel #torgoons for years like a horrible hobo. Please come talk to us about lightsabers and movies and how much you hate EA and Bioware.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Squee posted:

My code I guess, idk what this poo poo is even for but I was reinstalling: http://www.swtor.com/user/ce/7maar

Neither do I, but I did reinstall the game so: http://www.swtor.com/user/ce/fccn9

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Stoppppppp posting codes there's no referral benefit so if someone wants one they can ask, or scroll back a page or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

Stoppppppp posting codes there's no referral benefit so if someone wants one they can ask, or scroll back a page or two.

Here's my code link: http://www.swtor.com/user/ce/fccn11

• Locked thread