Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Use a choptick to punch a hole through the skin and wiggle it around to mush up the insides, then drink the juice through the hole.
What's it like being raised by a pack of spiders?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

ChaosArgate posted:

I wish that were true for the supermarkets I go to. The self-checkouts often have the longest lines because everyone wants them, even the people with a full cart of groceries.

My family uses the self-checkouts whenever possible because cashiers/baggers can't bag for poo poo, at least around here. You're just lucky they're not quite dumb enough to put your dish soap in with your produce. Even when we do use cashiers, mom insists on doing the bagging herself. (Then mom becomes the terrible person because if it's like $50+, she writes a check.)

However, we do also still have the problem of waiting on some moron that somehow can't understand how to follow the prompts on the self-checkouts.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

taiyoko posted:

My family uses the self-checkouts whenever possible because cashiers/baggers can't bag for poo poo, at least around here. You're just lucky they're not quite dumb enough to put your dish soap in with your produce. Even when we do use cashiers, mom insists on doing the bagging herself. (Then mom becomes the terrible person because if it's like $50+, she writes a check.)

However, we do also still have the problem of waiting on some moron that somehow can't understand how to follow the prompts on the self-checkouts.

The cashiers around here can't bag worth a drat either. I've had them put raw meat on top of my veggies and my milk and bread in the same bag.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

:cawg: at the idea that self-serve checkouts need to exist for stores to only use a skeleton crew. I'm not in the US, but my local supermarket hasn't bothered to get self-serve checkouts yet and I'm still lucky to see more than two (out of like ten they've pointlessly built) lanes open.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
Don't get me started on the type of person that is always in front of me at the "Express" checkout.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

AlphaKretin posted:

:cawg: at the idea that self-serve checkouts need to exist for stores to only use a skeleton crew. I'm not in the US, but my local supermarket hasn't bothered to get self-serve checkouts yet and I'm still lucky to see more than two (out of like ten they've pointlessly built) lanes open.

The Kroger near me closes all of their lanes after 8:00. Self-checkout only. If you get there around midnight the store is full of nurses getting off second shift quietly apologizing to everyone for self-checking a full cart of groceries for their families. Skeleton crews are one thing, but no crew except the one attendant is a new age of management masturbation.

Speaking of stupid lifehacks, they don't check your ID when you sign up for the Kroger customer card. They give a 10% senior discount on all store-brand items. I don't know if it's theft but there you go.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Danger Mahoney posted:

The Kroger near me closes all of their lanes after 8:00. Self-checkout only. If you get there around midnight the store is full of nurses getting off second shift quietly apologizing to everyone for self-checking a full cart of groceries for their families. Skeleton crews are one thing, but no crew except the one attendant is a new age of management masturbation.

Speaking of stupid lifehacks, they don't check your ID when you sign up for the Kroger customer card. They give a 10% senior discount on all store-brand items. I don't know if it's theft but there you go.

I'm pretty sure they sell your data to whomever so go hogwild gramps/granny! Plus, what're they going to do? It's not like you're an employee they can fire.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Lifehack: Your sealed packages of soap and meat being next any other god damned thing means precisely gently caress-all

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Wedemeyer posted:

I'm pretty sure they sell your data to whomever so go hogwild gramps/granny! Plus, what're they going to do? It's not like you're an employee they can fire.

They could refuse the card and I would miss out on all those sweet sweet grocery savings. I have saved tens of dollars over the years using this one weird trick please click subscribe.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Life hack: Got a cart full of groceries but the checkout lines are too long? Just check out all of your groceries at the pharmacy counter!

loving piece of poo poo.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

TheChaosPath posted:

Lifehack: Your sealed packages of soap and meat being next any other god damned thing means precisely gently caress-all

Soap package I couldn't care less about, but raw meat is a different story - that stuff ain't vacuum packed here, it's more like just a cling film that drips blood protein water all over the place

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
The worst part about self service checkouts is that the person in front of you always tries to put the items back in their cart or whatever after scanning them and doesn't know how weight works. Then, while waiting for the one person the store now has working to come over and fix it you have to listen to their story about grocery purchasing in the good old days or how they don't like computers.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Lifehack: Put several large, high price items in the bottom part of your cart and go through the self-checkout while completely ignoring those items. On the small chance that you get caught, claim stupidity and apologize profusely for forgetting to scan items. Cheat the store 99% of the time - Walla(*)!!

*-do not even make me explain this joke

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

TheChaosPath posted:

Unless this is meant to be a joke, you're an idiot.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Sentient Data posted:

Soap package I couldn't care less about, but raw meat is a different story - that stuff ain't vacuum packed here, it's more like just a cling film that drips blood protein water all over the place
Don't you wash your vegetables anyway?

EZipperelli posted:

Unless this is meant to be a joke, you're an idiot.
What exactly is the problem with putting the non-food items in the same bag as the food?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

It's actually Voilà.

sorry

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Tiggum posted:

Don't you wash your vegetables anyway?

What exactly is the problem with putting the non-food items in the same bag as the food?

As someone already mentioned, I don't want juices from raw meat/chicken leaking out of the saran wrap they use to package the meat. It's far from nonpermiable, and I'm not a fan of salmonella.

Even if you wash your veggies before you eat them, no one washes them in water hot enough to kill salmonella, and no one uses soap on their vegetables either.

Rickycat
Nov 26, 2007

by Lowtax

EZipperelli posted:

and no one uses soap on their vegetables either.

Speak for yourself

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

EZipperelli posted:

As someone already mentioned, I don't want juices from raw meat/chicken leaking out of the saran wrap they use to package the meat. It's far from nonpermiable, and I'm not a fan of salmonella.

Even if you wash your veggies before you eat them, no one washes them in water hot enough to kill salmonella, and no one uses soap on their vegetables either.

Clearly you've never had my Palmolive potatoes.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Tasty_Crayon posted:

Clearly you've never had my Palmolive potatoes.

Clearly. Actually, after being forced to GARGLE polmolive by my grandmother when I was a kid, because I dropped an f-bomb in her house, I can't even look at a bottle without gagging a little.

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~
I worked as a cook at KFC for around three years and got chicken juice/blood in my mouth and eyes dozens of times while breading chicken too fast, and have eaten very undercooked chicken by accident a couple times and nothing ever happened so I think I built up an immunity to salmonella.

My phone was probably covered in raw chicken germs all the time from using the calculator app while counting chicken for inventory too, come to think of it.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
What would soap do to vegetables?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Hands free device hack

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Make them clean?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Make them taste soapy. I don't think the taste would wear off easily.

Edit. I assume. You mean washing them with soap.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Angela Christine posted:

Hands free device hack

I've seen more than one guy do this with a turban and more than one woman do this with a head scarf. It was hilarious every time.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

I used to do that when I worked from home and had to sit on endless conference calls using a lovely landline phone with no speaker. :saddowns:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
You people get your groceries bagged for you by underpaid overworked slaves, and you still complain about petty details. Supercool.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

You could go blind from soap poisoning

JustAurora
Apr 17, 2007

Nature vs. Nurture, man!
That's a lye.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Tiggum posted:

Household cleaning chemicals leak all the time--if Chris Cashier puts your bananas in the bottom of the bag and a gallon of bleach on its side on top of them, the lead singer of Placebo will sneak into your house in the middle of the night and steal all your USB cables

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

You people get your groceries bagged for you by underpaid overworked slaves, and you still complain about petty details. Supercool.

Don't forget they have to pay union dues as well.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Simply Simon posted:

Lifehack: Grocery bagger packing your items incorrectly? Simply borrow your carriageman's driving lash and deliver three quick strokes to the bagger's back. Dawdlers hate this one simple trick!

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

OctoberBlues posted:

Lifehack: Put several large, high price items in the bottom part of your cart and go through the self-checkout while completely ignoring those items. On the small chance that you get caught, claim stupidity and apologize profusely for forgetting to scan items. Cheat the store 99% of the time - Walla(*)!!

*-do not even make me explain this joke

This seems way better than my version: put a small item or two on the child seat thing, forget them while checking out, notice them when I'm loading everything else into my car, walk back in to pay for them.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Smuggle small items out of a store by concealing them inside your newborn!

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Shwqa posted:

Don't forget they have to pay union dues as well.

Wait what? When I had a bagboy job when I was like 15 I didn't have any union dues.

It's a lovely job, I will give you that. But common sense dictates that fragile bread or eggs shouldn't go in with heavy objects. Same goes for anything else you wouldn't normally mix.

They should absolutely get paid more, but I feel that way about minimum wage in general.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Bagboys, and similar jobs, are there to give teenagers job experience. Something to cut their teeth on.
It's not a career. Person works there a while, moves on to something better. What, do you expect to get 20 bucks an hour right out of the gate?

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

Oh lordy. Batten down the hatches.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

KillerEggplant posted:

Oh lordy. Batten down the hatches.

Nobody mentioned whether or not you should tip them so we should be ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Nobody mentioned whether or not you should tip them so we should be ok

They're drat well not getting a tip if they say anything about the beans I'm buying for my chili!