Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

I don't think AoU is going to tie into SHIELD in the least, really. The only tidbit that might be of any interest to the show is that Fury still has a helicarrier lying around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

How are all of you people seeing AoU so god drat early?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Arrgytehpirate posted:

How are all of you people seeing AoU so god drat early?

Early release in Europe. I never did understand why this is a recent development though. I could have sworn when I was younger Europe would have to wait a few months before they got the releases.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Randomly releasing movies at different times in different regions is a dick move, and if I get a chance to download it early I will just to spite these fuckers.

I'll still go see it though.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Blockbusters now make more money overseas than domestically, and if they release internationally first then the internationals are less likely to just pirate, and it builds hype in America.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Guardians of the Galaxy was probably the first film I have ever gone to see in theaters more than once, I have a feeling Avengers 2 will be the same. Definitely going to do 3D and 2D, and possibly a 3rd if I like it enough.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

greatn posted:

Blockbusters now make more money overseas than domestically, and if they release internationally first then the internationals are less likely to just pirate, and it builds hype in America.

gently caress em... I'm going to download it.. Watch it.. Love it and then pay to go see it on a giant screen because 40 inch TV just aint big enough.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Update to Phil's status in the greater MCU:
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Why-Agent-Coulson-Probably-Won-t-Show-Up-Marvel-Movies-Anytime-Soon-71025.html

:(

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
It's really sort of irritating how it's almost like Marvel's trying to pretend Agents of SHIELD doesn't exist, like they're gunna just end the series the first chance they got and Coulson will die on the way to his home planet so he doesn't inconvenience the movie writers. The show's good now. :(

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Well, duh.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Wolpertinger posted:

It's really sort of irritating how it's almost like Marvel's trying to pretend Agents of SHIELD doesn't exist, like they're gunna just end the series the first chance they got and Coulson will die on the way to his home planet so he doesn't inconvenience the movie writers. The show's good now. :(

Well, at least they admit that there's room for him to make a movie comeback in Infinity War. But then again, Joss Whedon isn't the boss of the MCU, Kevin Feige is. Whedon doesn't get to call the shots as to every Marvel movie.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Wolpertinger posted:

Yeah, totally ignoring it what with the spin off they're making and the movie tie in episode next week.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Soonmot posted:

Yeah, totally ignoring it what with the spin off they're making and the movie tie in episode next week.

The tie-in episode that's completely ignored by the movie? Not exactly a huge show of cooperation by Marvel there.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The show and the movie don't need to explicitly tie into each other unless there's an actual need to do so. Like with Winter Soldier last year. When you start shoving in characters for the hell of it just to make an appearance that's when things go wrong. The show is pretty much all spy stuff and I'm not sure that has any place in the story the movie is dealing with.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Deadpool posted:

The show and the movie don't need to explicitly tie into each other unless there's an actual need to do so. Like with Winter Soldier last year. When you start shoving in characters for the hell of it just to make an appearance that's when things go wrong. The show is pretty much all spy stuff and I'm not sure that has any place in the story the movie is dealing with.

Yeah, I know, but it's more like how it seems like people associated with the movies just seem annoyed with SHIELD, like even the tiniest non-plot-related cameo or nod in the movies would mar them by association, and god forbid a cameo of anyone important in AOS. It's more that it seems like even if they DID have a good reason, they'd try to come up with a reason not to anyway, and AoS would have to work around that.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Deadpool posted:

On the flipside, I could totally see Deathlok directly tying into what we know of the Ultron storyline, even if it's not on the scale of involvement of Winter Soldier. i.e. part of his systems get hijacked, or whatnot.

I get what you mean though. Tie ins don't have to be huge, but some minor things are nice. I did like seeing the Shield/Hydra douche from the boat in Winter Soldier on AoS, for example. Nice little nod. I don't expect them to go all out all the time.

Wolpertinger posted:

I do get the impression they view AoS as an "alpha test" of their foray into TV. Sadly first impressions count and SHIELD took a nasty hit in the early ratings for good reason. I've had 0 success at convincing anyone who gave up in season 1 that it's truly better now. In a way I don't blame them.

I kind of view the spin-off they're trying with AoS characters as a covert way to reboot the show under a new brand name. I wouldn't be surprised if they take several AoS characters with them.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Apr 23, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wolpertinger posted:

Yeah, I know, but it's more like how it seems like people associated with the movies just seem annoyed with SHIELD, like even the tiniest non-plot-related cameo or nod in the movies would mar them by association, and god forbid a cameo of anyone important in AOS. It's more that it seems like even if they DID have a good reason, they'd try to come up with a reason not to anyway, and AoS would have to work around that.

I think you're reading too much into this. Whedon doesn't want the character of Coulson in the movie because he doesn't fit and because his death was a catalyst in the first movie for the team and bringing him back into their fold would cheapen that and he's not wrong there. As for the bigger actors not appearing in the show, why would that surprise anyone? There are a lot of contractual and monetary reasons for that. You may think it would be a piece of cake for one of these big stars to drop in on set for a few days but that's not realistic and it doesn't work that way. I wouldn't rule out the possibility completely that someday one of the bigger characters makes a small cameo but they're not going to spend a week filming an episode of TV and it's unrealistic to expect that. They spend way too much time doing the movies they're actually contracted to do and probably want to have their downtime to do something else.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Like I've said before, I really expect the most practical big movie name to appear on the show to be JARVIS. That said, I haven't seen Ultron yet.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I wonder if Nick Fury will ever be on the show. He used to run Shield, it's weird he has never appeared in a single episode.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Deadpool posted:

I think you're reading too much into this. Whedon doesn't want the character of Coulson in the movie because he doesn't fit and because his death was a catalyst in the first movie for the team and bringing him back into their fold would cheapen that and he's not wrong there.

I do entirely agree with this. The most I'd expected/wanted is like a 2 second background cameo. Throwing him into the movie, at all, would either overly complicate things in a bad way (and I'm sure they had to trim a LOT to make run time), or get utterly blown off with a "I got better," and just piss off casual viewers.

greatn posted:

I wonder if Nick Fury will ever be on the show. He used to run Shield, it's weird he has never appeared in a single episode.

I can't tell if you're trolling, making an ironic point about integration, or just started watching in season 2.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Blazing Ownager posted:

I can't tell if you're trolling, making an ironic point, or just started watching in season 2.

Trying to make an ironic point. When clearly we were talking about the actual Avengers characters. Fury makes the point well though as he clearly showed up for maybe an hour twice to shoot both of his cameos. Plus Jackson will clearly do anything as long as he gets paid.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Yeah, I didn't want/expect Coulson to be in AoU, it was just more the way he said it, like he'd rather they just pretend AoS didn't happen. The sort of thing I would have thought would have been fun would have been some offhand harmless mention of anything going on in the series that wouldn't stand out to anyone who only watches the movies. Still, I do sort of get the feeling that Coulson is inconvenient for them, having him be introduced, and die in a movie, only to come back to life in TV.. he's become an important character in universe, but at the same time he has to stay 'dead' in the movies, which makes me think he might not stay director for long if they plan to reintroduce SHIELD in the movies.

I was probably just reading too much into what he said, though.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Apr 23, 2015

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

Wolpertinger posted:

Yeah, I didn't want/expect Coulson to be in AoU, it was just more the way he said it, like he'd rather they just pretend AoS didn't happen. The sort of thing I would have thought would have been fun would have been some offhand harmless mention of anything going on in the series that wouldn't stand out to anyone who only watches the movies. Still, I do sort of get the feeling that Coulson is inconvenient for them, having him be introduced, and die in a movie, only to come back to life in TV.. he's become an important character in universe, but at the same time he has to stay 'dead' in the movies, which makes me think he might not stay director for long if they plan to reintroduce SHIELD in the movies.

I was probably just reading too much into what he said, though.

It is strange that in Age of Ultron there's a Helicarrier with Fury at the helm teaming up with Maria Hill and a bunch of ex-SHIELD to fly that thing. At that point I kinda expected them to drop a hint about either Gonzales or Coulson but nope, nothing. I do wonder how Coulson is going to react when that event is broadcasted live across the globe since as far as he knows SHIELD is gone. The only other explanation I can come up with is that Theta Protocol (or whatever it is called) had/has something to do with the events in Age of Ultron.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

lockdar posted:

It is strange that in Age of Ultron there's a Helicarrier with Fury at the helm teaming up with Maria Hill and a bunch of ex-SHIELD to fly that thing. At that point I kinda expected them to drop a hint about either Gonzales or Coulson but nope, nothing. I do wonder how Coulson is going to react when that event is broadcasted live across the globe since as far as he knows SHIELD is gone. The only other explanation I can come up with is that Theta Protocol (or whatever it is called) had/has something to do with the events in Age of Ultron.

Uughgh.... I couldn't help myself. Spoiler tags are real click bait for me. Was the movie as awesome as the preview suggests?

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

Dalael posted:

Uughgh.... I couldn't help myself. Spoiler tags are real click bait for me. Was the movie as awesome as the preview suggests?

gently caress yeah, sorry bout the spoilers...

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Dalael posted:

The best bits are better than the stuff in the Avengers, but the worst bits are worse.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Are the medium bits more medium?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

greatn posted:

They're mostly just tedious set-up for the next couple of movies.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

greatn posted:

Perfectly fine, if a bit rushed. Apparently the first cut of AoU was over 3 hours long - I kinda want to see that now.

Am I the only one thinking that Helicarrier is/was Adama's, Coulson is the friend Fury spoke of when he did turn up with the carrier and the thing Coulson has been spending time and money on is the base at the end of AoU?

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I have been unable to resist the AoU spoilers so I need to leave this thread until next Friday

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Cat Terrist posted:

Perfectly fine, if a bit rushed. Apparently the first cut of AoU was over 3 hours long - I kinda want to see that now.

Yeah, I honestly think the film could have done with a longer runtime, so as to give it more time to breathe. Very fast-paced, with a lot of action and information coming at you very quickly - though I imagine that'll be less of an issue on rewatch. I'm looking forward to seeing the next few AoS eps and see how they tie in, even in small ways.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Guess its time to vacate the thread for a week.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The fact that people who have seen it have said there are no tie ins to the show means that they should really stop discussing it as this isn't a movie thread.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

There are tie-ins to the show.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

lockdar posted:

gently caress yeah, sorry bout the spoilers...

No worries. You put the spoiler tags on, you did your part. T'was my dumbself that could not resist clicking.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

There are tie-ins to the show.

Some people have said there aren't so who knows. Even if there are ties to the show it would still be best not to discuss the movies plot here and point out any tie ins, as that would just result in pages of black boxes.
If in a couple of episodes time there is something in the TV show that ties into the movie then we should talk about it then.
Discuss the movie in the movie thread, discuss the TV show in the TV show thread.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Mr Beens posted:

Some people have said there aren't so who knows.

Yeah, there aren't any. Don't know what that guy was on about.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Maybe it's just me, but I don't really see how Agents would really fit into the upcoming AoU movie. Not much further than one small coincidence or an Easter egg. Although I would be surprised if by this point at least Tony Stark isn't aware of Coulson not being dead, since Maria Hill is working for the company and has been on AoS.

With the pieces they've set in motion, I can definitely already see it having a very close tie-in to next year's Civil War movie, especially since the remnants of Shield are neck deep dealing with "powered people." Unless they plan to dramatically alter the overall Civil War plot from the comics. My thinking is that Captain America is going to need a team to support him by that point, and Phil Coulson is his #1 fan/supporter. Although Phil seems to be keen on registering and tracking superpowers to utilize them for the greater good, so I guess that could be interesting if they explored it.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Cat Terrist posted:

Am I the only one thinking that Helicarrier is/was Adama's

If you mean the Iliad then yes, you are the only one thinking that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Just been to see this and I wonder if the Avengers organisation at the end is some kind of shield replacement with Fury running the show once again. I just don't see there being 3 shield-like organisations pursuing the same goal. I would think that Fury is going to show up in the tie-in episodes and put the smack down on the real shield organisation. Hopefully reintegrating Coulson and team.

I thought it was a good movie and will probably take my wife and oldest kid to see it. If you like marvel stuff you will love this. I look forward to the full cut coming out on bluray.

The scarlet witch character is such a Weadon trope.

• Locked thread